Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2008, 12:21   #301
BHPian

Nitrogen in Swift Ldi

Hi Friends,

Today, I filled in Nitrogen in all my 5 tyres (including Spare wheel). The tyre shop isisted me to go in for Nitrogen and offered me filling for Rs.40/- in all 5 tyres and free checkup for next 3months. He has filled in 97.15% Pure Nitrogen, initill he removed the existing air and with the help of one M/c he removed all the Moisture & filled in Nitrogen Gas.

While Driving the car felt light, ride quality is improved marginally, rolling noise is drastically improved............will update on Fuel Economy figures Soon....currently FE is 17kmpl (40% City & 60% Highway with 100% A/c).
Old 22nd September 2008, 11:00   #302
BHPian

Just filled my i10 with Dry Nitrogen @ 32 PSI on all 5 tyres including the stepney.

Ride Quality has improved drastically and rolling noise is reduced.
Rs 50/- for each tyre and top-up's @ Rs.10 every 45 days.

Got it done @ XL tyre Point,velachery.
Old 22nd September 2008, 11:12   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak View Post
ride quality is improved marginally, rolling noise is drastically improved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raajiv View Post
Ride Quality has improved drastically and rolling noise is reduced.
The above are only two out of the many such examples that the thread carries!
Frankly, it seems to be largely subjective factors at work here.
The laws of Physics and Chemistry do not support either claim!
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:18   #304
BHPian

I got the 4 running stock tyres of my Swift filled with Nitrogen from Wheelworld (under the Vashi flyover near Vashi R.S. on Palm Beach Road). He charged me Rs. 25 per wheel with free topups for next 3 months.
Frankly have not noticed any improvements in city rides till now after the filling. The shop claims that no drop in pressure would take place for 2 months. !!
Old 3rd October 2008, 12:12   #305
Senior - BHPian

Eh, does increasing the purity of Nitrogen from 78% to 95% improve the physical characteristics so much?
(Decreased diffusion, increased heat handling, ...)

Not that I can recall, form my chemical engineering days.

I have filled regular air in my car, and I dont remember seeing the pressure drop or deterioration in handling for past 2 months almost (OMG, thats too long)

I think its all Placebo.
Old 10th October 2008, 09:01   #306
BHPian

This Nitrogen stuff is all Placebo.
I had my new Getz CRDi filled with it and noticed no difference whatsoever. Also, you constantly run the risk of needing a top-up with no Nitrogen filling shop in sight! And you end up filling normal air with the Nitrogen already inside or waste your time in deflating the whole thing and filling afresh.
Not worth the trouble I guess.
Old 10th October 2008, 09:43   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Do we have any such or theory holding which can prove the benefits of topping up with nitrogen ?
Old 10th October 2008, 14:23   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
We dont tell our customers that the ride quality improves. In spite of that, loads of customers come back and tell us that it did.
Old 10th October 2008, 14:47   #309
BANNED

This nitrogen filling is a joke. And i am surprised everyone falls for it.

Better ride and handling - comeon, if a gas in the tyre can do so much then why didnt it come company filled.

Air(non polluted) in the troposhpere(the lowermost layer of atmosphere) where we inhabit is made up of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, 0.9% argon, 0.03% carbon dioxide.

So when someone says 78-80% pure nitrogen - trust me he is filling normal air into your tyres from a gas cylinder that says nitrogen on it. And believe me he is not fooling you.

When someone says 97-100% pure nitrogen as used in industries, it needs to be stored in liquid form and immediately utilised when turned to gaseous form. Even in this form there are 5-10 ppm of oxygen in it. Now the problem is to handle such pure nitrogen the equipment required is quite expensive - so the tyre shop below the flyover or one down the street probably does not have "pure" nitrogen. To make economic sense of supplying pure nitrogen for tyres he needs to install a capacity to fill the tyres of every car in a city like Mumbai EVERYDAY.

Check the survey done by Consumerreports.org ->
Attached Images

Last edited by Spitfire : 10th October 2008 at 14:52.
Old 10th October 2008, 17:10   #310
BHPian

I guess what possibly is causing the difference in ride quality could be that the "nitrogen" that is filled will be moisture free. Moisture laden air could be more reactive to change in temperatures.
May be we can try filling in "dry air"(not sure how will we get it) and see if the results are similar.

Regards,
Old 10th October 2008, 20:50   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Why does Nissan fill Nitrogen in the GTR then?

If as you 'experts' say Nitrogen has NO effect whatsoever, why does Nissan fill Nitrogen?

Why is it that most racing cars (f1 included) used Nitrogen? Why is it that today F1 doesnt use dry compressed air, but some special gas?
Old 10th October 2008, 21:11   #312
BHPian

apart from no moisture, i also read that nitrogen molecules are larger and can't permeate through the tire walls and hence don't escape easily. A 2-3 months can go by without any drop in tire pressure.
So although the performance results maybe obvious to nissan or f1 and merely qualitative mental beliefs for the frequent highway user, for the non-performance savvy, its the long term effects that may matter. No moisture in dry nitrogen would mean no oxidation/expansion/contraction/rusting and larger molecules means longer gaps between refills.
At the end of the day its a choice, some people prefer nitrogen, some people don't see a benefit and question or laugh at the nitrogen filling buffoons. I fill nitrogen once in a while when I am around the nitrogen store and if its 2 months or so and I don't see myself going anywhere near the nitrogen shop, I top up on regular air when I go to the petrol bunk. The nitrogen shop guy anyways empties my tires completely each time i go there.
To each their own.

Last edited by jassi : 10th October 2008 at 21:12.
Old 10th October 2008, 21:36   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
This nitrogen filling is a joke. And i am surprised everyone falls for it.

Better ride and handling - comeon, if a gas in the tyre can do so much then why didnt it come company filled.

Air(non polluted) in the troposhpere(the lowermost layer of atmosphere) where we inhabit is made up of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, 0.9% argon, 0.03% carbon dioxide.

So when someone says 78-80% pure nitrogen - trust me he is filling normal air into your tyres from a gas cylinder that says nitrogen on it. And believe me he is not fooling you.

When someone says 97-100% pure nitrogen as used in industries, it needs to be stored in liquid form and immediately utilised when turned to gaseous form. Even in this form there are 5-10 ppm of oxygen in it. Now the problem is to handle such pure nitrogen the equipment required is quite expensive - so the tyre shop below the flyover or one down the street probably does not have "pure" nitrogen. To make economic sense of supplying pure nitrogen for tyres he needs to install a capacity to fill the tyres of every car in a city like Mumbai EVERYDAY.

Check the survey done by Consumerreports.org ->

Hey sorry but i really dont get the consumer reports sheet. Mind putting some light on what those figures mean?
Old 3rd February 2009, 09:09   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
May be a point to discuss here. Has anybody tried nitrogen instead of air in tubeless tyre? I believe nitrogen doesn't expand or contract. One or two shops are pumping nitrogen in Bangalore.
What all places in bangalore?
Old 3rd February 2009, 09:31   #315
BHPian

I have been driving on nitrogen filled tubeless since the last 10 months. I do not know if it made a difference in the ride quality, but one thing is for sure - the tire pressure does not drop even in 2-3 months. I get the pressure checked regularly (once in three weeks). I do not pay anything for the nitrogen filling because its free from the guy who installed the alloys/tires on my car and I get free top ups for the next two years!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks