Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2007, 11:46   #151
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The HP Pump before Lonavala while heading to Pune from Mumbai on the expressway offers Nitrogen filling in tyres. I refused to fill Nitrogen though .
If its free go for it, read my review. The cold and hot tyre pressure difference was much less as compared to normal air. However no other difference, so not worth 30rs, but not bad if its free
Old 9th July 2007, 12:04   #152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If its free go for it, read my review. The cold and hot tyre pressure difference was much less as compared to normal air. However no other difference, so not worth 30rs, but not bad if its free
Nahi yaar Tanveer, I wish it was free to try . They offered to fill at Rs. 25/- per tyre. I did not go for it because I was getting late to reach Pune. Will try for once next time and I am running tube type tyres. Should it make any difference in tube-type / Tubeless tyres?
Old 9th July 2007, 12:10   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Nahi yaar Tanveer, I wish it was free to try . They offered to fill at Rs. 25/- per tyre. I did not go for it because I was getting late to reach Pune. Will try for once next time and I am running tube type tyres. Should it make any difference in tube-type / Tubeless tyres?
Well bith tubeless and tube type should run cooler.
But if its 25/tyre its not worth it at all.
The largest amount I am willing to pay for this is 10rs/4 tyres. i.e. 2.5rs/tyre not worth more I say
Old 9th July 2007, 14:06   #154
BHPian

I filled up my Santro's tubeless tyres with Nitrogen in the month of February. It still hasn't needed a refill.

Guess by now I would have spent quite a bit tipping the guy who fills regular air in the pumps more than the Rs.150/- I have spent on the Nitrogen by now.

Yes, one more thing to add is since February I have travelled (in my car i.e.,) once to Kerala and Ooty, Twice to Pune and once to Chennai other than my city driving. Food for thought eh guys?

Last edited by suren181 : 9th July 2007 at 14:07.
Old 9th July 2007, 14:36   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
I filled up my Santro's tubeless tyres with Nitrogen in the month of February. It still hasn't needed a refill.
Hope you checked the pressure and then decided against refill. Nitrogen doesn't eliminate the need to refill. With Nitrogen, the pressure drops approx 1~2psi/month. Please check up the pressure at least once in a month.
Old 9th July 2007, 14:57   #156
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am still not convinced about using nitrogen. What if I am travelling out of town and need a topup on the highway? Can a tyre filled only with nitrogen, be topped up with regular air?
Old 9th July 2007, 15:07   #157
Team-BHP Support

yes no issue with mixing nitrogen with regular air
Old 9th July 2007, 15:08   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I am still not convinced about using nitrogen. What if I am travelling out of town and need a topup on the highway? Can a tyre filled only with nitrogen, be topped up with regular air?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
yes no issue with mixing nitrogen with regular air
Air is 75% nitrogen anyways.
Since free nitrogen machine is out of order I am topping up with air now.
Old 9th July 2007, 15:23   #159
BHPian

but if you top up w regular air, you cant top up with nitrogen as the effect is lost it seems - u need to empty it all and refill all nitrogen again right. But if the charges for topup and refill are the same i.e. 30rs/tire at madhus as in my case then i guess its ok mixing air if needed and then refilling it all over again w nitrogen
Old 9th July 2007, 15:24   #160
BHPian

i have been told by tyre experts from continental germany that the only benifit of filling nitrogen is infrequent refilling .

nitrogen filling came up as a poor alternative to argon filling in tyres .
argon in tyres has now been banned world wide .

nitrogen is not reccomended by any tyre manufacturer and is not at all prominent in europe .
Old 9th July 2007, 15:26   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Hope you checked the pressure and then decided against refill. Nitrogen doesn't eliminate the need to refill. With Nitrogen, the pressure drops approx 1~2psi/month. Please check up the pressure at least once in a month.
I have been religiously doing so.

Yes a Nitrogen filled tyre could be subjected to a top up of air if absolutely necessary but if it were me to do so. would deflate the tyres and refill them with Nitrogen when am back in my city.

Last edited by suren181 : 9th July 2007 at 15:28.
Old 9th July 2007, 16:29   #162
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i have been told by tyre experts from continental germany that the only benifit of filling nitrogen is infrequent refilling .
Absolutely. Hence my post :

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Umm, isnt air like already 78 - 79% nitrogen? What gives with that additional percentage? From all that I have read (online and off), the only areas where benefits will show are on large trucks, racing cars and aircraft. No credible source has attested to any significant benefit of using nitro in the tyres of everyday use cars.

Lower pressure checks are the only benefits that I have heard of. Well, I give the entire car a run-through (fluids, air etc.) everytime I fill up petrol so this really doesnt make a difference to me. Or to most of us.Sure, it would help in keeping tyre temperature low if you intend to cruise at 250 kph all day but............
Old 9th July 2007, 16:54   #163
Team-BHP Support

I still think, if its for free, its a good idea.
I did a pressure difference test between hot and cold(After a long run and early morning).
I don't think you can get infrequent fillings though, after a month I lost almost 4 PSI.
If you are going to do a 120kmph+ run on an expressway on a hot summer day, and your tyres are filled to 32PSI when cold, nitrogen makes sense, esp when your tyres are rated for 140kmph and you will do around that speed. Such scenarios will happen with Getz owners on the expressway.
The car easily crosses the rates speed of the 155R80 tyres(GVS version)
Old 9th July 2007, 17:07   #164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk
I still think, if its for free, its a good idea.
Totally agree. Don't think you'll find anyone here who is against that!
Old 29th August 2007, 19:45   #165
Senior - BHPian

just filled nitrogen and find the ride a lot more harder than air can really feel the bumps and ride is a bit bouncy .. tyres also feel quite hard now compared to when it was on air. filled at 28psi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks