Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2007, 15:09   #121
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Umm, isnt air like already 78 - 79% nitrogen? What gives with that additional percentage? From all that I have read (online and off), the only areas where benefits will show are on large trucks, racing cars and aircraft. No credible source has attested to any significant benefit of using nitro in the tyres of everyday use cars.

Lower pressure checks are the only benefits that I have heard of. Well, I give the entire car a run-through (fluids, air etc.) everytime I fill up petrol so this really doesnt make a difference to me. Or to most of us.Sure, it would help in keeping tyre temperature low if you intend to cruise at 250 kph all day but............

Last edited by GTO : 28th May 2007 at 15:10.
Old 28th May 2007, 15:15   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO,

I converted to N2 abt 1.5 months back. The earlier compressed air on my 195/55 R15s felt like concrete while going over disturbances in the road. This difference was the biggest I noticed immediately after N2 - the ride is now comparable to a floating carpet's, figuratively.

The other difference I've noticed is the tyre pressure hardly reduces at all, even over a month's time from the previous N2 check.
Old 28th May 2007, 15:34   #123
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I converted to N2 abt 1.5 months back. The earlier compressed air on my 195/55 R15s felt like concrete while going over disturbances in the road. This difference was the biggest I noticed immediately after N2 - the ride is now comparable to a floating carpet's, figuratively.
Thats because you would have reduced the PSI by 2 - 3 points. There is no ways that nitrogen will improve the ride quality.

Quote:
The other difference I've noticed is the tyre pressure hardly reduces at all, even over a month's time from the previous N2 check.
Agreed. Nitrogen is known to require lesser PSI checks.
Old 28th May 2007, 15:36   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Nope GTO. PSI stayed the same. And I'm pretty sure it isnt all placebo. But I still cant explain it.
Old 28th May 2007, 15:42   #125
Senior - BHPian

I moved my car to Nitrogen about 3 months back, since when I've had this feeling that it rides better. I dont know if its for real, because this is perceived.

However it really helps to keep the tyre cool on the hot hot hot roads here. I'm going to be putting nitrogen into my bike's tyres too.
Old 28th May 2007, 16:11   #126
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, improving ride quality is an unheard advantage of nitrogen. But as long as you guys are happy....

Quote:
a summary of Goodyear’s
experience with nitrogen inflation for
truck tires is the basis for the following
comments. Treadwear appears to be
affected negligibly by the tire inflation
medium. Specifically, there is little, if
any, tread life change to be expected by
using nitrogen inflation compared to
normal air.
Quote:
In summary, nitrogen inflation
appears to have significant advantages
for certain sizes and applications of large
off-road tires, especially those operating
in extremely high load or speed
environments. However, nitrogen
inflation appears to have quite small,
perhaps insignificant, advantages for
over-the-road truck tires.
Goodyear

Toyo

Firestone

Notice that even firestone claims that the only real benefit is that Nitrogen maintains pressure for a longer period. Its accepted that you wont need to check your air-pressure as often with nitro as you would with regular air.
Old 28th May 2007, 16:18   #127
Team-BHP Support

Ok, I'm really no good at chemistry but the psi of nitrogen is it the same as that of air. Is it that 30psi of nitrogen is the same as 30psi of air. What's the difference in density between the 2.

It may sound like a dumb question but pls. do enlighten.
Old 28th May 2007, 16:24   #128
BANNED

Hi friends one day I was passing Premji tyres in Mahim and they are offering nitrogen for tyres. But when I asked the person if it was worth it he said no! If their own mechanic is saying so then I thought why waste 250 rupees when air is free
Old 28th May 2007, 19:16   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Ok, I'm really no good at chemistry but the psi of nitrogen is it the same as that of air. Is it that 30psi of nitrogen is the same as 30psi of air. What's the difference in density between the 2.

It may sound like a dumb question but pls. do enlighten.
bro 30 psi is 30 psi! no matter what fluid it may be! 30 psi is 30 pounds per sqaure inch of the area(inner tyre wall) that is in contact with the air!

n GTO i suggest you try it !! it definately makes the car feel smoother!!
i guess it could be because its a well calibrated machine rather than the highly inaccurate air compressor 1s that differ from station to station!
that could be a reason! i dont see any other logic to it but it feels much better for sure!

try it !

tnx aza will check it out soon!
Old 7th June 2007, 11:05   #130
Team-BHP Support

I got Nitrogen filled in Apollo acelere's
Why did I get it filled?
It was free at IOC opposite EIL near Hyatt on Ring road
Results:
1. Ride is very smooth now. But the reason is that earlier tire pressure was 40PSI, now its 32(all 4)
Benefits I will get(I hope so)
1. Fewer fills
2. Tires won't get heated that much as the tarmac is cooking nowadays(44 degrees here)

I have a tire pressure gauge. So as a test I am going to check the pressure in morning in garage(cool tyre) and then the pressure in the evening after a run, and report the exact different here.
Accuracy of tire guage does not matter, as the same guage is being used, all I want to see is what is the different. Earlier 30PSI cold used to go 35PSI hot and after highway runs 38PSI too.
Old 7th June 2007, 13:56   #131
BHPian

Hi guys,

After going through this thread did some searches on the net and came up with this informative article.

Nitrogen for Tyres - Fact Sheets - Motoring - RACQ

Based on this, I would'nt go for Nitrogen. But ofcourse, each to own.

Enjoy!
Old 7th June 2007, 14:00   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I got Nitrogen filled in Apollo acelere's
Why did I get it filled?
It was free at IOC opposite EIL near Hyatt on Ring road
Free ??

In Rajkot there is only one service centre who fills nitrogen in tyres and charging 150rs per tyre.
Old 7th June 2007, 14:01   #133
Team-BHP Support

The article does not talk about any harmful effects, only says that the benefits are not much to be considered. Since it was free, I got it. I had the option of filling it for 20rs/tire in Noida but did not do so.
I guess if its available for free its a better option
The article does mention some benefits esp if the tire is being used near to its limits(like high heat etc.,). Moreover monsoon is coming and its very humid nowadays, and our dispensers do not give out completely dry air, so for us benefit is more as compared to people in very dry climes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
Free ??

In Rajkot there is only one service centre who fills nitrogen in tyres and charging 150rs per tyre.
Thats steep. In noida its 20rs a tyre, bit the IOC guys are doing a good job buy filling it for free

Last edited by tsk1979 : 7th June 2007 at 14:02.
Old 7th June 2007, 18:36   #134
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What about top-ups? I hope they dont cost the same because if they do....its better to check regular air-pressure with every fillup!
Old 7th June 2007, 19:11   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
For that rate, I can fill (not top up) all 5 tyres 3 times around.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks