Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2007, 22:08   #91
BANNED

HI,

I too filled Nitrogen in my new tyres today from Premji's Mahim. Had too much traffic on the way home so could not really make out any diff. Will put report after a few days driving.

Viper
Old 3rd February 2007, 16:15   #92
BHPian

hey has any one tried it on a bike....
i really wonder how it would go with a bike...
Old 3rd February 2007, 17:10   #93
elf
BANNED

@gonecase_01: It should be the same, I think... a tyre's a tyre.
Old 5th February 2007, 12:22   #94
BHPian

hey ! any place in delhi other than hemkunt(jungpura) as their machine isnt working anymore i have changed my tyres and now the ride feels rough with air!! i need some n2!!!!
Old 5th February 2007, 14:16   #95
Senior - BHPian

ok an update from me... Tire pressures (with nitrogen in all 5 tires) have remained constant. I was worrying for no reason

Fault was traced to improperly calibrated tire pressure guage. Picked up a reliable guage now for Rs.450/-
Old 5th February 2007, 16:31   #96
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Wokay, me too have joined the Nitrogen bandwagon today.

Results:
Ride comfort definitely increased, smoother, road irregularities completely ironed out (@ 28psi).
Tyres running freakishly cool. Not cold, cool. They were as warm after my 20km trip as when I started out this morning.
Quieter, though may be psychological.
Steering (power) felt slightly heavier (probably due to 28psi as opposed to 30psi).
Handling - had a short burst of 130 @ Worli sea face - felt rock solid & damn, damn grippy.
Braking - definitely improved.
Firstly, any particular reason why you set tyre pressures at 28 psi with nitrogen when you had 30 psi earlier? Seems a bit on the low side to me, especially since you don't plan on refilling for months together.

Possibly your tyre pressures were accurately set when filling with nitrogen, maybe you did not have the pressures exactly at 30 psi earlier. That may explain the huge difference you are reporting.
Old 5th February 2007, 16:41   #97
Team-BHP Support

Umm...dropped pressures from 30psi to 28psi, and then you attribute the change in ride to the nitrogen?

Maybe if I fill helium in the tyres, the weight of my car would drop by a few kilo's
Old 5th February 2007, 16:46   #98
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I would recommend that you check your pressure atleast every month to begin with and if the deflating continues then you will need to get your tyres looked at. Also check pressure on a regular basis while using your vehicle everyday for one month.
Note that each time you check the pressures, you let out some air/nitrogen. So I don't think frequent checking is advisable, especially if nitrogen has been filled. Now that n_aditya's problem has been traced to a defective gauge, I would suggest frequent visual inspection of the tyres (for any noticeable loss of pressure, embedded nails/screws, damage, etc.) and also maybe checking with soap solution for leaky valves from time to time. If nitrogen has been filled, I would recommend that tyre pressures be checked at some recommended intervals only at the place where the filling has been done, so that topping up can be done on the spot if required.
Old 5th February 2007, 20:50   #99
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
... dropped pressures from 30psi to 28psi, and then you attribute the change in ride to the nitrogen? ...
Nope. I attribute my change in ride to the lower pressure. Just that with nitrogen, I don't have to worry about the tyre heating up due to the larger contact patch 28psi affords me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
... Maybe if I fill helium in the tyres, the weight of my car would drop by a few kilo's ...
Maybe if you filled helium in your lungs, you'd sound like viper. And be lighter - you're getting decidedly porkier after you stopped your daily dandiya practice post your wedding.
Old 5th February 2007, 20:51   #100
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Firstly, any particular reason why you set tyre pressures at 28 psi with nitrogen when you had 30 psi earlier? Seems a bit on the low side to me, especially since you don't plan on refilling for months together.

Possibly your tyre pressures were accurately set when filling with nitrogen, maybe you did not have the pressures exactly at 30 psi earlier. That may explain the huge difference you are reporting.
@rks: I hated the ride that I had with the alleged 30psi - quite hard. Also, the tyres don't look underinflated to me. I know it's not an accurate way to gauge, but still. Was anyway planning on getting it to 29psi in a coupla days after driving around.

Can't beat the braking or the cornering with 28psi though. And the ride's carpet smooth. I know the rolling resistance has increased, which will lead to a subsequent rise in gas mileage, but life's about having fun... not money.
Old 6th February 2007, 04:10   #101
BHPian

and money plays a big role in the ammount of fun you can have!!! ;-)
but i personally feel its smarterto go with 30 as lesser tyre wear n of course the sligh change in milage!! but i feel this is somethin more of personal choice !!

anyone from delhi who can tell me some place other than hemkunt for nitrogen im addicted to it!!
Old 14th February 2007, 15:50   #102
Senior - BHPian

Got the tyres filled with Nitrogen too... But all u guys are sayin the tyres dont heat up, but my tyres to get warm or heated. Not a lot but still.... Didn't feel any big difference anywy..
Old 14th February 2007, 18:49   #103
BANNED

Yes i have nitrogen in all my three cars, M-800/VW Beetle and Safari Dicor.
N2 can only be filled on tubeless tyres(NO TUBE TYPE), N2 has larger molecules than normal air, they dont escape through the rims as fast as AIR,
you need to check pressure only after 50 days.
Advantages are the tyres run at lower temperatures and hence braking is good with good road grip and better comfort.
Old 4th May 2007, 03:53   #104
BHPian

Any place in Kolkata where i can fill up on nitrogen ?
Also someone mentioned that its no good for tyres with tubes, can someone please shed some light on this ?

Regards
Old 4th May 2007, 08:53   #105
Senior - BHPian

The only problem is how to know the gauge at the place you filling the nitrogen is reliable ? I get different reading at different places. And I have 26 psi on the vRS.

So now after trying 3-4 places , I stick to the place which I feel gives me the quality of ride i want to feel. And sadly it does not have nitrogen.

OT - Am looking for a reliable air pressure checking gauge. Help and suggestions please.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks