Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2006, 21:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Palio starting problem

My S10 is having weird starting problems since the last few days. The alternator was repaired about a month back and the car was working fine upto a few days back. The problem is weird because:

1. The starting problem happens only in the evenings/nights i.e. only after 7pm. This has happened both when the engine was cold as well as hot.

2. Morning starts are crisp and instant.

3. Alternator light doesn't stay on after car starts. The check ecu light also is working normally.

4. After about 2 to 15 minutes of cranking the car starts automatically.

Planning to take the car to Fortune Motors (tata-fiat) tomorrow or maybe Anuroop if I am in the mood. Today evening the car was stalled in Kharghar for about 15 minutes at 7pm. What could be wrong? I am guessing the alternator problem is cropping up again. Maybe it's not charging the battery enough? What do you guys suggest I should ask the dealer and his technician to look into tomorrow? Thanx!!

EDIT: Did a bit of googling and the fiat forum threw up this similar problem faced by a Bravo owner. The problem of another member was traced to the crank sensor. Can my Palio have a similar issue?

Last edited by amit : 15th October 2006 at 21:44.
Old 16th October 2006, 10:09   #2
BANNED

HI,

I would suspect the fuel pump.

Edit - And or relay as well(Thanks Moral)

Viper

Last edited by viper : 16th October 2006 at 10:22.
Old 16th October 2006, 10:15   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
HI,

I would suspect the fuel pump.

Viper
But in that case why only in the evening? I would expect the same condition if not worse after the car has remained unused overnight.
Old 16th October 2006, 10:17   #4
Team-BHP Support

I suspect the fuel pump relay. It happened to my zen. The same way!
Old 16th October 2006, 15:06   #5
BHPian

Have suffered the same problem in my car, turned out to be the fuel pump relay too. The car would start normally in the mornings but afternoon/evening is when the problem occured.
Raihan
Old 16th October 2006, 16:06   #6
Team-BHP Support

If your car is cranking fine but not starting its not the alternator. Its charging the battery. If it wasnt, then your starter motor wont turn,
Get the solenoid checked.
Old 18th October 2006, 03:05   #7
Team-BHP Support

Hey Amit, let us know what comes up. I am curious to know.
Old 18th October 2006, 13:56   #8
BHPian

i have had no such problems in my 1.6,but i have often felt slight difficulty in starting at times-i have to crank for a longer time than usual.read in one issue of autocar that palio 1.6s have a wheezy starter.does that have anything to do with this?(pardon me if this doubt is silly..)
amit,please keep us posted on the developments.
Old 18th October 2006, 15:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

The car was taken to Wasan tata-fiat after fortune motors said they don't service Fiat cars yet. Wasan referred me to a Exide shop and it turned out that the alternator wasn't charging the battery enough with headlights, A/c, Stereo switched on and I was asked to replace the alternator. The car is currently in Shaman Fiat and is expected tomorrow. Let's see if the problem is resolved.

Another issue that concerned me was the attitude of the spares section at all dealers. Anuroop said he doesn't have the alternator and front suspension of the 1.6. (there is some rattling sound coming from the front suspension) and thats why the car wasn't taken to them. Apparently, they are also in the process of shifting to a new location and are only stocking fast running items. Shaman said he doesn't have the suspension but the alternator is avaliable. When the service advisor was making the job card, I asked him when he expected the suspension to come. He said they did have the parts in stock! Anyway, Shaman got back to me in about 3 hours saying that the shock absorbers were fine and that only the ball joints and mounting needed to be replaced. Will update you guys when the car comes back.

Last edited by amit : 18th October 2006 at 15:35.
Old 18th October 2006, 16:24   #10
BHPian

I too had to change the strut mounts on my S10. It had not even completed 5000kms at the time. I was told that the Palio S10 suspension was very sensitive to tyre pressure(as it was lower) and was advised to always keep the tyre pressure 1 psi lower than recommended for our road conditions.
Old 23rd October 2006, 21:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was told that the Palio S10 suspension was very sensitive to tyre pressure(as it was lower) and was advised to always keep the tyre pressure 1 psi lower than recommended for our road conditions.
Thanx for the tip Floyd.

As for the car, the mystery deepens. Seems like my car has been playing around with me and the service guys. At the Exide shop the alternator was charging at 13.3-13.5 (idling and revving) which is supposedly normal charging but as soon as the A/c and headlights were switched on the charging dropped to 12.6-13.1 with the alternator showing 13.3-13.4 intermittently. After two days at Shaman, the alternator kept up it's charging properly and shaman guys called me and told me the car was working normally. So off I went to Shaman, kept the headlights, A/c working for about 15 minutes, went for a 30 min drive with the service advisor parked the car, switched it off for about 20 mins and started it again and the start was crisp and instant! Shaman guys said everyone from the mechanic to supervisor to service manager checked the car and nothing showed up. Got the fuel pump checked out much to the opposition of the technicians there and even the fuel pump is working fine. With all possiblities exhausted and no faults showing, I got the car back and have been driving for about 3 days now and it's working perfectly. Watch this space though, if my michievious Palio decides to play again.

Last edited by amit : 23rd October 2006 at 21:27.
Old 23rd October 2006, 23:52   #12
BHPian

Amit

I wish to share a similar experience with my S10, My car just refused to start sometimes, but used to work absolutely fine otherwise.I took the car to a local garage and there every thing like the battery, starter motor, alternator and all seems to be fine.

Then took the car to Anuroop, Goregaon, were the car was checked , it worked perfectly fine, was about to leave, then to my luck the car did not start, immediately the problem was located, the culprit was the wires connecting to battery terminal was loose , we could see spark comming out of the battery terminal, the mechanic just tightened the screws, thats it, problem was solved.

Please check if the nuts are tightly screwed on to the battery terminals.

Cheers

Major
Old 24th October 2006, 12:07   #13
BHPian

The Ghost in the machine... . I do a bit of cycling, and I do all the maintenance work on my bicycle myself. Bicycles are so much simpler than cars- there is so little that can go wrong. Simple no nonsense efficient machines. And bicycles do provide thrills and enjoyment of a different variety as compared to cars. Not the right forum to discuss that, though.
Old 26th November 2006, 16:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the problem has been solved. On one friday afternoon the car conked off again and started after about 10 mins of cranking. Took it to a exide shop and got the terminals cleaned and re-connected the battery properly. Ever since then the car starts crisply like it always used to. Thanks guys for all the feedback and help.

Last edited by amit : 26th November 2006 at 16:11.
Old 25th February 2007, 09:57   #15
BHPian

Hi Amit & other Petra/Palio Owners,

I am facing the same problem metioned in the thread with my Petra 1.6 for last few days, My car is 9000Km old.
Problem started after giving the Car for Servicing at Javali Bangalore.
After the service, Car was fine and I came home but Next morning It didn't Start, Cranking looked fine but Car Engine refused to Fire, Tried it for around 4-5 minutes and then called Javali Breakdown Service. They came in next 2 hour and tried starting the Car, But to our Surprise car started in just 1st Crank. he tried some more time and car started every time. So the problem was not Reproducable . Mechanic could not find anything wrong and took Rs200 as breakdown Service fees and went away saying that they can only diagonose the problem if the problem reproduces.

Next few days Car was fine but sometimes it started giving problem in starting morning and night.
Javali Motors does not have a ECU Analyser for Petrol Cars so not sure which Service centre to take the car for checkup.Also I have a feeling that Javali Service guy might have replaced some good part with a defective one.. ( Just my assumption).

Guys what do you think, As per the rule if TDC sensor is gone, Car should not start at all. If the Fuel Pump is faulty, I should not hear the humming sound and fuel pump light should not go away.

Can fuel filter be the culprit, or my battery/alternator is going bad? As per my understading doesnot look like a Batttery/Alternator issue since service guys checked it and it looked fine.

Your thoughts and experience please.

Waiting...

Last edited by greatDrive : 25th February 2007 at 09:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks