Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2018, 10:52   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Polo GT TSI : Initial ownership & driving report

Quoting your post from the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
So many negative reviews about polo especially with regards to its rear seat and dsg issues.
There are several owners who have got the DSG units on their Polo TSIs replaced (some under warranty, some after paying over a lakh) even before the car has touched the 1L km mark. What reliability are we speaking of here?

As we speak, one BHPian's TSI is undergoing a DSG replacement. VW denied a goodwill replacement or even sharing part of the cost citing the OEM VW steering wheel with paddles he has installed!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd August 2018 at 10:55.
Gannu_1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 13:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Quoting your post from the other thread:

There are several owners who have got the DSG units on their Polo TSIs replaced (some under warranty, some after paying over a lakh) even before the car has touched the 1L km mark. What reliability are we speaking of here?

As we speak, one BHPian's TSI is undergoing a DSG replacement. VW denied a goodwill replacement or even sharing part of the cost citing the OEM VW steering wheel with paddles he has installed!
Installing wheel with a paddle shifters has voided the warranty. They are in their rights to make the owner pay and not be covered under warranty.

It has been communicated precisely that such mods will void the warranty. Someone who has tinkered with the technical modifications cannot blame the car or the brand for failure of the DSG.

DSG has been reliable since 2015 and miniscule issues have been reported.

I am not a VW rep or a blind folded be fan boy but from your post it seems that the owner is at fault.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th September 2018 at 13:28. Reason: Formatting
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 14:06   #18
Team-BHP Support

re: VW Polo GT TSI: DSG failure, quoted Rs. 1.17 lakhs for repair!

Quote:
DSG has been reliable since 2015 and miniscule issues have been reported.
Have you personally come across a GT TSI that has clocked over a lakh km without a DSG failure?
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 14:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Have you personally come across a GT TSI that has clocked over a lakh km without a DSG failure?
It was introduced in 2013 so just 5 year old now. Being a petrol very few cars (VW or other) would cross a lakh kms.

But being part of an All India VW group I haven't heard since few years of any issues with the DSG.

The problem was at the initial 2 years but it is a mind block plus wide spread negativity about it that make people feel that the DSG is not reliable.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th September 2018 at 13:28. Reason: Formatting
Old 23rd August 2018, 15:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Installing wheel with a paddle shifters has voided the warranty.
While I understand that the warranty has been voided in legal lingo (let us keep that aside for a bit), how can installation of an OEM steering wheel impact the DSG?
Is that technically possible due to some dependencies or, say, overload of some kind?

Considering the numbers of such failures (I dont think it sold in lakhs of units), it would be really far fetched to say that VW DSG is reliable.
selfdrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 02:21   #21

Quote:
It was introduced in 2013 so just 5 year old now. Being a petrol very few cars (VW or other) would cross a lakh kms.
But being part of an All India VW group I haven't heard since few years of any issues with the DSG.
The problem was at the initial 2 years but it is a mind block plus wide spread negativity about it that make people feel that the DSG is not reliable.
The DQ200 went into production in 2008 and now 10 years later I doubt VW has definitively fixed its issues. My personal experience is with a 2010 Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI 7 speed DSG, its mechatronics failed in 2016 having done only 25K km. Repairs took around 1.5 months and cost 300,000 INR. No discounts or even acknowledgement from Skoda/VW. Sure, its an old car but one driven sparingly and dealer serviced at regular intervals. The TSI engine drinks 1L of 5W-40 oil every 1000km although it performs without any issues AFAICT. None of this is very confidence inspiring in a modern car. I can understand the occasional sensor failure, but issues like this with a vehicle's drivetrain means its ultimately a poor car. 3 out of 4 people I know have sold their VW/Skoda/Audi within 2-3 years citing reliability issues.
Light is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 10:42   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I have an Octy 1.8 and I have often wondered if there are any maintenance steps which can be taken to prevent a outright failure?

For example, I replaced my Cruze's flywheel & clutch kit at 40k km for ~50k INR. Can the infamous Mechatronics unit not be similarly replaced due to early signs of degeneration?
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 10:49   #23
BHPian

Re: VW Polo GT TSI: DSG failure, quoted Rs. 1.17 lakhs for repair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
While I understand that the warranty has been voided in legal lingo (let us keep that aside for a bit), how can installation of an OEM steering wheel impact the DSG?
Is that technically possible due to some dependencies or, say, overload of some kind?
The Key word is steering wheel with "PADDLES".
aadya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 11:08   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I have an Octy 1.8 and I have often wondered if there are any maintenance steps which can be taken to prevent a outright failure?

For example, I replaced my Cruze's flywheel & clutch kit at 40k km for ~50k INR. Can the infamous Mechatronics unit not be similarly replaced due to early signs of degeneration?
Same question. Let me know if you ever get an answer to this. I asked people if the company on this ground can make a replacement. They said untill and unless a conclusive proof beyond doubt which is not correctable has been diagnosed the gear box cannot be changed.

There is an incident where an Ameo DSG was hit by a stone from underneath and the owner was asked to pay around a lakh for repair. The Ameo was not even a year old but because it was an external reason the company is not liable to the same. After a lot of escalation it was rectified under "good will" with only labour charges been paid by the owner.
Old 28th August 2018, 11:14   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
The Key word is steering wheel with "PADDLES".
Exactly. Paddles control the DSG in Manual mode which means wiring has been modified. If this was done without prior approval from VW/dealer, the warranty is void.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 12:35   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Same question. Let me know if you ever get an answer to this. I asked people if the company on this ground can make a replacement. They said untill and unless a conclusive proof beyond doubt which is not correctable has been diagnosed the gear box cannot be changed.

There is an incident where an Ameo DSG was hit by a stone from underneath and the owner was asked to pay around a lakh for repair. The Ameo was not even a year old but because it was an external reason the company is not liable to the same. After a lot of escalation it was rectified under "good will" with only labour charges been paid by the owner.
Yes, this is what has been a bane to VW/SKODA. Is there any other manufacturer who had these many transmission issues. External reason or not. I would say keep away from DSG unless you are in love with "DAS AUTO" or prepared to spend much more hours and money than you have originally intended to, in the way of, NO GOOD WILL repair, extended warranties, engine protection insurance and peace of mind.
aadya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 00:27   #27
BHPian

I’m done with VW, their horrendous after-sales service, and the ill-fated DQ200.

My 2014 Polo GT TSi had been producing screeching sounds randomly during gear shifts which only became more consistent over time. The problem didn’t exist until my 2nd annual service at VW Whitefield (Bangalore) where the SA opened the transmission without my permission to fix an oil leakage issue that I’m sure didn’t exist. Complaints to VW Customer Care fell on deaf ears, but I swore I will never return to this service station for this as well as the hundred other things they did like damage my armrest, soil the roof lining, and so on. A year later, technicians at VW Palace Cross were unable to diagnose the issue (or so they told me) and finally when I took it to VW North Bangalore this year, they kept the car for a month (causing me tremendous inconvenience that I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy) and finally replaced the multiclutch which apparently costs 1.1Lakh. I was fortunately covered by extended warranty. Replacing the entire DSG unit including mechatronics apparently costs 5Lakh per the SM at VW North Bangalore - almost 50% the value of the car. Ridiculous!

All in all, the DQ200 seems to be a lottery - I read about people clocking 50k km without issues, while I’ve had to have the clutch on mine replaced at 20k km after literally babying the gearbox by shifting to N at traffic lights, and not keep my foot on the brake for more than 15 seconds continuously while in D. While the driving experience is unmatched for refinement and thrill, the peace of mind I have lost worrying about an imminent failure and the gaping hole it would burn in my pocket just isn’t it worth it anymore for me. I’d prefer to drive a car that is more reliable and backed by a more trustworthy service infrastructure.
TNAWAYAJ is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 13:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Well, probably this is why Maruti Suzukis are so preferred even though they offer cheap thrills, the back-up and peace of mind. I myself was contemplating on a pre-owned Polo and started to read quite a few threads and was left appalled by the minor yet irritating nature of the VW brand and not to mention this DQ200.

For the most part, I read and hear, either there is something major or an aversion altogether for the VW brand.

A good read nonetheless.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 13th September 2018, 00:18   #29
BHPian

DQ200 DSG: Fun or reliability - You can't have both!

Hi bhp-ians. Have been meaning to pen down this post for a long time, but my super busy schedule the past few months really didn't allow me any time. To clear the air upfront, i'm a big fan of the TSI + DSG combo and feel this is the best one can lay their hands on when on a budget. And as Gannu will vouch, i've even told him that i can't imagine my next car without this combo. But the problem is, if only it works.

As people from the GT TSI thread might know, mine is one of the first lot of GT TSI's, bought in Nov'13, manufactured in Oct'13. I was very much aware of the unreliability of the DSG right from start. But it just took one test drive to toss the concerns in the bin. I didn't even test drive a single other car, so much for my first car purchase. I did everything in my power to take good care of the DSG, as much as going to the extent of replacing the DSG oil at 45k out of my pocket, in spite of many in the forum saying its really not necessary. After all this pampering, and like an eventuality waiting to happen, the mechatronics in my DSG finally gave up on me while I was on a family trip to kerala, 6 months out of extended warranty when the odo was lurking 83k kms. The DSG, which gave me so many happy miles, finally decided to wake me to my senses on my birthday.

And before i proceed any further, there is a disclaimer to make. As some might know, i've had a lot of mods done to my ride, from GTI steering wheel with paddles to Bilstein B6 shocks to morimotto projectors and the list goes on. But i had stopped short of any remaps, as i felt the power on offer is adequate for my needs. As people would have guessed, VW flatly refused any goodwill warranty sighting my many mods and also had the audacity to tell me the DSG failed because of these mods.

After weeks of waiting and useless mail exchanges and frustration, finally gave up and replaced the mechatronics by paying out of my pocket. Before this post becomes another rant, i stop here.

The real reason i wanted to write down this is the difficulty i faced while my DSG failed, as i realized our forum has no data on the DSG failures. I just couldn't find how prevalent the DSG failures are in the GT TSI. Have they really addressed the DSG woes and i just got unlucky ? Or is it that my mods are the culprit as they so conveniently shifted blame ? I just couldn't find out. It even occurerd to me that two cars with mechatronics failure was in the same service group within a week of my car. To avoid this uncertainty to all the current and future owners of the 7 speed DSG, i'm opening this poll. Mind, this poll is exclusively for the DQ 200 7 speed dry clutch DSG in the Polo, Rapid and Vento. There are two reasons for limiting the poll to these models.

1. These are budget cars and a DSG failure in these cars means you shell out an insane amount if its not covered by warranty, which might not be worth knowing the poor resale value of VW.

2. These cars are supposed to have power figures well within the tolerance of the DSG and are supposed not to fail.

This will be an open poll with details of whether the mechatronics or the clutch pack failed and if VW provided warranty or not. This will remain as a database for DSG owners on tracking the prevalence of DSG failures and also provide details of members nearest to them whom they can approach for any help if needed.

To conclude, as much as I like my TSI, i feel i might just outgrow the DSG fun and settle for something reliable. I didn't think i would say this 5 years back when i got my GT, but time does teach you certain things. Drive safe.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th September 2018 at 13:31. Reason: Minor formatting for improved readability
drpudhi is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 02:20   #30
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: DQ200 DSG: Fun or reliability - You can't have both!

I would never buy a car equipped with the DQ200 gearbox. I do have a slight soft-corner for Germans, i.e. I will pick up the Polo diesel in its segment(not the puny petrol, never), I'd choose the Vento TDI over its rivals and I will pick up the Octavia and the Superb in their respective segments. However, with so many reported cases of DQ200 gearbox failure, I wouldn't touch any DQ200 equipped car with a barge pole.

One thing which I have observed is that very few cases of the diesel(1.5TDI)+DQ200 combo failures have been reported when compared to the petrol+DQ200 combo. Does it have anything to do with the diesel engine or is it just luck?
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks