Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2018, 06:08   #31
BHPian

Re: DQ200 DSG: Fun or reliability - You can't have both!

Useful thread for future VAG car owners. I always wanted to have a GT TSI, but the only thing that kept us apart is DQ200. Even now I say to myself that there are no more niggles with the gear box, VW have fixed everything and may be its safe for me to buy a GT TSI. A quick glance at my bank balance and I get kicked back into my senses.

I hope VW will get rid of this gearbox at least in their future cars post 2020.

Edit: I think one more option should be added to the poll – using DQ200 DSG without any issues. Mods please consider.

Last edited by Flyer : 13th September 2018 at 06:14.
Old 13th September 2018, 06:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

This is like saying I was enjoying the night so much that I didn't think the sun would rise the next day.

Am surprised it did.

Want to know how many people think the sun will rise tomorrow.

Let's have a poll.
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 06:58   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
I didn't think the sun would rise the next day.
This is like saying each and every dsg will fail, which is a big conclusion to make.

Having said that I do like to know the outcome of the poll. I too have been thinking of a new car and the dsg ones are on top of the list.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 07:11   #34
Senior - BHPian

GTO has said it multiple time that he'll agree that the DSG is reliable only if he sees many cars do >100,000 kms. I'm still surprised that VW is continuing to sell such a product with a high failure rate. Its simply bad design- wonder if they'd have sold it if we had stronger consumer protection laws. Maybe unrelated, but I've heard about the six speed DSG in a diesel Laura also failing twice in the same car.

Granted, there have been a few failure of Maruti AMTs too, but those have been random defects and not bad design. Mahindra has messed up with the TUV 300 too- I think that's because of their lack of testing.

Until the Germans get their act together, I'm sticking to Torque converters and CVTs only. Surprisingly, I like well tuned CVTs more that TQs.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 13th September 2018 at 07:13.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 07:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to say, it is the mods that costed you dearly. VW is known to offer good will warranty for DSG upto 1Lac kms.

I recently drove a Rapid DSG with 1.1 lac kms on the odo, and the owner claimed he didn't do any DSG related repair work so far.
F150 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 08:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

No saying the DSGs are reliable, but do adding paddle shifters change the way they operate as it is linked to the transmission right?
Old 13th September 2018, 09:36   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

As an owner of two DQ200 powered cars, it gives me more comfort than trauma to read that the OP's car ran reliably for 80K odd kms before its DSG packed up!

Although both my cars haven't racked up big mileage yet (25,000 kms and 8,000 kms) and have been reliable so far, it won't come as a shock to me if DSG problems surface in one or both at some point. People wonder why people buy VW DSG cars despite so many cars suffering failures. Thing is, dual clutch transmissions are inherently complex and no manufacturer has really cracked the reliability issue. In this segment, DSGs are really cutting edge and in terms for performance there really is no rival. We have an i10 1.2 AT in the house. The Hyundai 1.2 Kappa2 is a brilliant motor. But the old 'reliable' 4 Speed AT just kills it. It's boring, saps the engine power and highly fuel inefficient. Every drive in this car, reminds me of how brilliant the DSG is. I don't care if it works reliably for 1 lakh or 2 lakh kms. If I have to replace my Polo GT TSI today for self driving, I would head straight to the VW showroom and buy another new GT TSI. The DSG may pack up somewhere along the line, but atleast it's worked hard to deliver that crucial driving pleasure that I value so much.

Another thing is VW is not only offering long extended warranties these days, but is also replacing failed DSGs outside warranty FOC, if the car is serviced regularly and is without any mods. In the OP's case, he has fitted the GTI wheel with paddle shifters which is directly related to the gear box. VW not agreeing for a free replacement is understandable in this case.

Fun or reliability? : Given the risk factors associated with the DQ200 i.e Failure rate, chances of FOC replacement, cost of replacement if not FOC, I would be happy with just Fun when it comes to the DQ200.
Santoshbhat is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 09:39   #38
Senior - BHPian

The GT TSI already has a manual mode that allows manual shifts. How or what difference would the paddle shifters make causing the box to fail is beyond my understanding.

The shifts are controlled and gated using the logic in the ECU. It does not allow the driver to shift to a gear for which the conditions are not ideal.

In my opinion the paddle shifters just add a bit of convenience of changing gears rather than using the gear knob.

I seriously doubt adding the paddlers shifters would cause the issue. Also they are available in the Polo abroad as a standard factory option.

I think it is a case of VW shirking away for responsibility as soon as they find any excuse.

I own an 2017 GT TSI and so far haven't experienced any issues, but then its too early to say since its done only 6k till now.

I think the best way is to take the extended warranty and enjoy the car. Nothing comes close to the sheer driving pleasure and that fantastic GBox. It reminds me of the Lancer Ralliart Edition I had when I was abroad.
Traveler is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 12:14   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
This is like saying I was enjoying the night so much that I didn't think the sun would rise the next day.

Am surprised it did.

Want to know how many people think the sun will rise tomorrow.

Let's have a poll.
I think you got it wrong. The fact is I wasn't surprised at all and was actually waiting for the sun to rise. Just that with age, would prefer a longer nights' sleep. This is just to find the prevalence of something which nobody knows. Still people believe that DSG issues are a thing of the past and are ironed out. And it's not so.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 13:52   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VW Polo GT TSI: DSG failure, quoted Rs. 1.17 lakhs for repair!

Is there no way to proactively change the damn thing and not suffer an ornate wife and kids plus a spoilt holiday?!

Why doesn't VW / Skoda change them proactively? Audi S- tronic seems to much more robust!
Old 14th September 2018, 14:32   #41
BHPian

When I bought the GT TSI in 2015, I was well aware of the frailty of the DQ200.

3+ years and 38k kilometres later, all I have to say is - damn, what a machine.

I don't give a rat's bottom whether this thing has a failure or not. Life itself is short. I'd rather spend that time enjoying the butter-smooth gearbox and engine combination than worrying about when it'd fail.

In short, I'd buy the GT TSI again if I have to. It's an amazing machine for an amazing price. It drives like a higher displacement vehicle for it's class.

And for all those who are on the edge making a decision on the GT TSI, please don't buy it. If you are obsessed with standalone reliability, it'd be best to opt for a Hyundai or a Maruti with a CVT or an AMT.

But then, neither of them would give an ounce of pleasure. And that's what a GT TSI is for. Pleasure. Sheer driving pleasure.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 17:23   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post
When I bought the GT TSI in 2015, I was well aware of the frailty of the DQ200.

3+ years and 38k kilometres later, all I have to say is - damn, what a machine.

I don't give a rat's bottom whether this thing has a failure or not. Life itself is short. I'd rather spend that time enjoying the butter-smooth gearbox and engine combination than worrying about when it'd fail.
I think most of us here understand this and have taken the risk of potential failure happening at some point especially when balanced against the joy it provides at this price point.

But whatever said and done, the failure if and when it happens is an inconvenience and especially with VW, if one happens to have to go through a bunch of hassle with them, you begin to wonder if it was all worth it.

I own a Vento TSI and as you have mentioned, it has been an absolute joy so far and in my mind definitely worth the DSG risk. Having said that, couple of weeks back I went on a trip which involved 40km of roads that were through largely uninhabited areas and almost no traffic and no mobile signal. Many of my trips do involve stretches like this. If my DSG packs up in such a scenario I may feel very differently.
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 13:02   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
This will be an open poll with details of whether the mechatronics or the clutch pack failed and if VW provided warranty or not. This will remain as a database for DSG owners on tracking the prevalence of DSG failures and also provide details of members nearest to them whom they can approach for any help if needed.
Good Idea. This poll deserves it's own new thread. It would be even better if we can get a google spreadsheet or something similar setup for this database.
  • TBHP Member: Immix
  • City: Mumbai / Pune
  • Car: My sister in law's GT TSI
  • Month and Year of Purchase: February 2014
  • Month and Year of Manufacture: January 2014
  • Mileage: 24000 kms
  • Mods: After market battery installed in mid of 2015
  • Driving Style: 80% sedately driven in the city (Pune) / Aggressively driven rest of the time by me
  • Extended Warranty: Expired in February 2018. Taking add on warranty this week
  • DSG / Mechatronics / Clutch Failure with Details: No failure yet
  • DSG Failure covered under warranty/goodwill: Not Applicable
Old 17th September 2018, 16:32   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I think most of us here understand this and have taken the risk of potential failure happening at some point especially when balanced against the joy it provides at this price point.

But whatever said and done, the failure if and when it happens is an inconvenience and especially with VW, if one happens to have to go through a bunch of hassle with them, you begin to wonder if it was all worth it.

I own a Vento TSI and as you have mentioned, it has been an absolute joy so far and in my mind definitely worth the DSG risk. Having said that, couple of weeks back I went on a trip which involved 40km of roads that were through largely uninhabited areas and almost no traffic and no mobile signal. Many of my trips do involve stretches like this. If my DSG packs up in such a scenario I may feel very differently.
Perhaps each DSG owner needs to take into account this risk.

I use the GT TSI purely as a daily driver, and sometimes for highway drives.

Even if the DSG fails tomorrow, it will not really come as a surprise/shock. Because I'm already half-expecting it to fail some day.

Hence, my opinion that it's best to enjoy the car without worrying about it. Safest option is to have another hatchback with a manual tranny for situations where the risk of taking a DSG-car may not be acceptable.

Also, I may not feel differently if the DSG packs up. Whether or not VW supports me properly may be the deciding factor as to how I feel. To ensure that my expectations are met, I haven't done any mods on the car which may affect the engine or the transmission.

The fact that they are offering a 7-year warranty is also an incentive.

Last edited by AbhisheKulkarni : 17th September 2018 at 16:36.
Old 19th September 2018, 12:46   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
As an owner of two DQ200 powered cars, it gives me more comfort than trauma to read that the OP's car ran reliably for 80K odd kms before its DSG packed up!
Hi Santosh, just posted on the Octy thread but reposting here:
My Octy is now at 37k km and I can hear a mild 'puk' sound on some DSG up-shifts (seems to be restricted to 4-5 & 5-6) and only when driven aggressively.

Hope DSG failure not on the cards. Any ideas?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks