Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2017, 12:26   #31
BHPian

Re: How I got Honda to sell me spare parts over-the-counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
You mean the document is not opening up, or, you are not able to navigate in document to find required part? Document is opening up on my side here, using windows machine, acrobat reader
The document has downloaded but doesn't open up. Getting an error as 'the file is damaged and could not be repaired'.

Happens on both acrobat reader and on chrome browser.

Thanks
Jaffer
Old 3rd February 2017, 12:29   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslamjaffer View Post
The document has downloaded but doesn't open up. Getting an error as 'the file is damaged and could not be repaired'.

Happens on both acrobat reader and on chrome browser.

Thanks
Jaffer
That's strange, maybe try this alternate download link. Also Adobe reader is updates and latest?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxU...ew?usp=sharing
Old 4th February 2017, 01:07   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not surprised to read Honda caved in. I faced a similar issue with my Honda City Type II back in 2005. The dealer here wasn't even willing to sell me a bottle of coolant or even a replacement pilot lamp bulb!

The owner of the dealership had the nerve to tell me that all these things are taken care of during the service and if the car is regularly maintained an owner would not need to buy extra spares or fluids!

I escalated it to Honda SIEL via email and received a response within days confirming the dealer would be able to sell me the spares I needed.

Sadly, the damage was done. I sold the City and upgraded to a 9G Corolla. There was a huge difference in the attitude of the Pune based Honda dealership compared to that of Toyota's. They permit OTC sales provided they are convinced you own a Toyota vehicle. I seriously wonder why some Honda dealers haven't kept pace with changing times.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 08:44   #34
BHPian

How I got Honda to sell me spare parts over-the-counter

I've been required by Maruti Genuine Parts outlet to submit a copy of my RC when I placed an order of parts for my Grand Vitara (at the time of advance payment). I didn't bother asking why they need it, will do that next time.

I guess they don't require you to submit proof of ownership for non-CBU models.

Last edited by Tanmay K : 6th February 2017 at 08:45.
Tanmay K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 15:05   #35
BHPian

My friend wanted to upgrade horn of his Honda City VX. To get upgraded the same we went to the dealership’s accessories department and asked for the options available where we found Hella Trumpets Crome. I sourced the same OEM Hella Trumpets Crome from Amazon India as they were available at the half of the price compared to the dealership. We asked them to replace the horn with the same but the dealership denied to do the job saying that it is an aftermarket product. Is their practice right?
I’m attaching the picture of the OEM product that I’ve sourced.
Attached Thumbnails
How I got Honda to sell me spare parts over-the-counter-cd0f64ec68ec4d54b3c086bc180a543a.jpeg  

Viraj.515 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 20:53   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraj.515 View Post
We asked them to replace the horn with the same but the dealership denied to do the job saying that it is an aftermarket product. Is their practice right?
It is nothing new & I do not agree with their refusal to perform this simple replacement.

Generally dealers will not change any factory fitted electrical accessory with an aftermarket one brought in by the customer specially so if the vehicle is under warranty. They are discouraged or even prohibited from making modifications to the vehicle.

Your friend should take the car to an auto electrician for this fitment.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 00:00   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Generally dealers will not change any factory fitted electrical accessory with an aftermarket one brought in by the customer specially so if the vehicle is under warranty. They are discouraged or even prohibited from making modifications to the vehicle.
I find it to be a silly business trick as they’re selling the same horn as an accessory fitment at their floor. The sales person tried to scar us by fooling with fake statements such as temperature sensor and airbags sensor being connected to horn wiring harness. Installing the OEM sourced horn by us can possibly cause malfunction of the sensors.
Old 19th November 2020, 22:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post

...If any Honda owner need parts from HASS (and if they are ready to sing undertaking), you can show this email as proof and buy required parts. I hope Honda wakes up soon and make over the counter parts available openly to all.
Dear techcoze, thank you for sharing this valuable information. I could purchase over-the-counter OE child parts for my '09 City iVtec (which were not available with any parts dealer in Delhi-NCR) directly from Honda A.S.S. with the help of your thread. I was not charged any labour and the amount I paid for all the parts was in fact less than MRP.
All thanks to this thread!

I have shared my experience over here : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4935128 (Hondu: Restoring my 3rd-gen '09 Honda City)

How I got Honda to sell me spare parts over-the-counter-img_0993.jpg

How I got Honda to sell me spare parts over-the-counter-img_0996.jpg

How I got Honda to sell me spare parts over-the-counter-img_1002.jpg
kunalsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 04:12   #39
BHPian

This thread deserves more attention. Big thanks to @techcoze

Today it finally came to my rescue as well. The post is lengthy but please bear with me.

The backstory:

I own a Honda City 2012 V-MT. Both before and after it's purchase this year, I got it inspected for any parts that might need replacement. I got the latter inspection done at a great independent garage named Wagen Tunen in Mangalore. It turned out that the Shock absorber top mounts were showing age, despite being a low-run car (rubber doesn't age well). I was told they can go for another 2-3k km's.

2 months and 2.5k km later, I had to make a last minute run to the airport and rushed over some bad roads resulting in the mounts getting damaged suddenly, car was out of alignment, suspension turned a bit noisy and the car had a lilttle shimmy in the front end while cornering spiritedly.

Following parts needed replacement:

1.) Top Strut Mount - In Stock at Shama Honda (Part No. 51920-TG0-T01)

2.) Rebound Stop - In Stock at Shama Honda (Part No. 51925-TG1-T01)

3.) Sway Bar Link Rods (proactive replacement, lower boot was cut on one side, with some squeaking noise over speed breakers) - Shama Honda didn't have stock, ordered from Boodmo instead.

- Part No. 51320-TG2-T01. NOTE: It seems Honda now has link rods shared among various models under a new part no. 51320-TG0-T01

The actual story:

The guys at Wagen Tunen offered to arrange the OEM parts for me but I politely refused thinking that I have decent rapport with my local Honda A.S.S (Shama Honda, Udupi) and I will get the parts easily.

Before I go further I would like to mention that guys at Shama Honda usually do a good job, and the sales staff has always been cordial with me.

I called my S.A and asked him I wanted some parts and I had the part numbers in hand. He replied in the affirmative and I texted him my requirements.

I got his response soon with the price of each part and whether they were in stock. Based on my last experience with them purchasing wipers over the counter (for which I paid labour anyway) I asked whether labour is included in the price.

I was told labour will be charged separately and I could come get the parts. I did text the link to this very thread and S.A told me that I would have to discuss with the Service Manager on Monday as it was already closing time. and weekend curfew was in force.

Well I visited them and the service manager plainly refused that we don't sell parts in this manner. I explained that Honda is supposed to sell parts to customers. To which he said, "Honda India might be, but we don't do that here." This took me back a bit, like how can dealership staff mention that they don't care about the manufacturers policies.

I went on to mention the CCI Report and was told, that nobody around here (mentioned all dealerships including Maruti ) sells spares. I countered about MGP sales and went on about how "friends" (I meant the OP of this very thread ) have gotten email confirmation from Honda India regarding the same and have gotten spares consequently.

I said, "do I have to get the same, will you provide parts then ?". Again the same story, that yeah "you can email and confirm, but we do not sell".

Then the excuse changed to that regular customer cars come in for service and they have to keep some stock for them also.

I levelled with the man and mentioned how till the moment I was ready to pay labour, the parts were there for me and the moment I challenged, suddenly you need the stock. To me it sounds like if the dealership doesn't get a cut in it means the customer doesn't get anything.

I mentioned that I can give in writing (like OP had to) that part fitting was carried elsewhere and not the dealer, which is reasonable imo.

He ultimately caved and asked the S.A to bill the parts and mention in the Job Card that part was handed over to customer on request.

All in All, the entire conversation was polite. But dealers and manufacturers alike do try everything to discourage the customer from being independent of them.

I have written too much, but my motive is that not everybody is good with negotiations, so beware of every excuse a dealership may throw at you. While the people at Shama Honda were way nicer about it, others might not be.

If you're a member of Team-BHP, I say feel free to quote that and this thread along with the CCI report. Those who recognise Team-BHP will level with you so fast, it's almost amusing and those who don't will perhaps learn about it.

It's the customers' right to get after sales support in the manner they want.

(Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with Wagen Tunen or Shama Honda, I am purely stating my own experience with them)

The parts I finally got:
Attached Thumbnails
How I got Honda to sell me spare parts over-the-counter-front-rebound-stops-2-items.jpg  

How I got Honda to sell me spare parts over-the-counter-front-strut-top-mounts-2-items.jpg  

How I got Honda to sell me spare parts over-the-counter-invoice-5-july-2021-shama-honda.jpg  

Last edited by ibisbrew : 6th July 2021 at 04:40. Reason: Giving credit to OP.
ibisbrew is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 10:50   #40
BHPian

Good to know your experience... @ibisbrew...
In fact, I am also planning to get parts from Honda, but I want to get owner's manual first.
My car is 3rd Generation Honda City VMT 2011 model.
After searching so many forums & sites, could not find it.
It would be good if you can share with me if you have a soft copy.
Sorry if my post might look off-topic, but I thought that 'owner's manual' might be treated similar to parts.

Last edited by NerdSpeaks : 8th July 2021 at 11:14. Reason: Inline quote from previous post got skewed by me somehow
Old 8th July 2021, 21:43   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibisbrew View Post
But dealers and manufacturers alike do try everything to discourage the customer from being independent of them.
I can understand the dealer's part but what is that prevents manufacturer selling the parts directly? Dealer raising the stink that they will not get their cut being the sole reason?
Old 8th July 2021, 23:33   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I can understand the dealer's part but what is that prevents manufacturer selling the parts directly? Dealer raising the stink that they will not get their cut being the sole reason?
Manufacturer's also have many incentives to have control over the supply of spare parts and diagnostic equipment.

I have attached below the screenshots of some of the conclusions made during the investigations by the Competition Commission of India.

However, to prevent things from being taken out of context or misinterpreted in some manner (which for god knows what reasons always happens ), I have attached a copy of the complete CCI Ruling in .pdf format below. I encourage you and all the other readers of this thread to go through it (at least briefly)

It will answer your queries well.

P.S.: To give credit where it is due, the OP (@techcoze ) had already included this report in a different post (link below)

Link: - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4132621 (CCI vs Car Manufacturers : Restricting over-the-counter sales of spare parts)

But the report is hosted on Scribd and not easily downloadable so I attached the pdf as well. It is also available on the official CCI website.
Attached Thumbnails
How I got Honda to sell me spare parts over-the-counter-page-16-cci-ruling.jpg  

How I got Honda to sell me spare parts over-the-counter-page-1920-cci-ruling.jpg  

How I got Honda to sell me spare parts over-the-counter-page-no.-165166-cci-ruling.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf CCI Ruling - 14.pdf (17.32 MB, 298 views)
ibisbrew is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 00:19   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdSpeaks View Post
Good to know your experience... @ibisbrew...
In fact, I am also planning to get parts from Honda, but I want to get owner's manual first.
My car is 3rd Generation Honda City VMT 2011 model.
After searching so many forums & sites, could not find it.
It would be good if you can share with me if you have a soft copy.
Sorry if my post might look off-topic, but I thought that 'owner's manual' might be treated similar to parts.

Since you're a new member, I used the contact via email option. Please check for any further correspondence you may want.
ibisbrew is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 16:55   #44

I have a Honda CRV (3rd Generation) 2008, which I recently took to Whitefield Honda (Bengaluru)--where it had been serviced, and purchased from, since it's first roll off the ramp. Since it's way past its warranty period, it had its first "paid" 60,000km service at 74,000km on 05th July, 2021.

After the service, the SA mentioned that shock absorbers needs overhaul and replacement of parts. He just gave a rough estimate of Rs. 1,00,000 for the entire system. Having owned an Esteem, which I have driven very rough and hard, criss-crossing the country on various challenging roads and terrains, I am somewhat aware of the various parts that come up for replacement when the shock-absorber system goes bad. So, I was not sure if the SA was being transparent about the final cost, and the parts needed to be replaced.

I did check on BoodMo and GoMechanic for the costs of the common parts that need to be replaced, and estimate that it might not even come to 60% of the cost he quoted.

However, I am in a quandary. Checking the parts catalogue on BoodMo returns multiple part number for the same item (eg. Front Struts) despite selecting the model correctly.

So, I would like to know from those who have managed to get Honda Service Centers to sell parts over-the-counter to you directly:

- How did you find out the exact part numbers?

- Should the service center list out the parts (and part numbers) that need replacements when suggesting it (because the SA, despite asking him to tell me exactly the list of various parts that need replacement, did not. He just gave a vague estimate and a general umbrella category: "Shock Absorber System - Front & Back")?

Your insight will go a long way in getting my CRV back in shape at a reasonable cost, which I am willing to spend, but not blindly. Please advice.

Last edited by Ashok.Vardhan : 12th July 2021 at 17:06. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old 14th July 2021, 21:18   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbheda View Post

Despite this, there are a couple of shops that source OEM parts for me in a matter of hours. For the more unusual parts it takes a day at most. Unlike the service centre which takes anywhere between a week and 10 days for any part not in stock.
They too ask for my VIN since they don't want anyone to come back and return them saying they don't fit.
Hey - did these shops sell you the parts at a discount or at MRP. The OEM prices from the company are exorbitant. e.g. Seltos's gear knob is priced at 4,500 Rs ... This is daylight robbery.

Could you also check with your contacts if they can source Kia parts?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks