Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2006, 12:11   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

My two cents:
1. Keep a safe distance from all moving objects on the road

2. Have a roving eye..i mean not that kind...but always keep looking at all sides as you never know who is gonna come and bang into you. This method has saved me innumerable times. The most irritated drivers I find are who drive looking straight ahead and not giving a damn to what is happening around them.

3. Keep your left side ORVM closed, as in city driving its useless and make sure you have it open for the right one and keep checking into that whenever your turning, braking, doing a quick burst and stop

Finally, don't forget to pray before you start the car. ..after all its only god who can save us despite all safety precautions we take on our indian roads
Old 13th November 2006, 12:26   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
3. Keep your left side ORVM closed, as in city driving its useless and make sure you have it open for the right one and keep checking into that whenever your turning, braking, doing a quick burst and stop
For me is safer and easier with these LORVM into action particularly in city traffic. So that we know whether we could take a turn (left) or not allowing enough time for the two wheelers to take action.
Old 14th November 2006, 00:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
For me is safer and easier with these LORVM into action particularly in city traffic. So that we know whether we could take a turn (left) or not allowing enough time for the two wheelers to take action.
@Surprise - Agreed.
@mobike008: i wouldn't say the ORVM (left) is useless. I depend on it a lot. since 85% of the drivers DO NOT use the mirrors, you have to take the initiative and keep yourself out of harm's way. the left mirror is invaluable while manoevering in traffic, backing up into a narrow space etc.

and yes, on another note, never drink and drive. the recent (much publicized) accident in mumbai should reinforce this view...
Old 5th January 2007, 12:24   #34
BHPian

Hi all
I dont know whether this has already been discussed on TBHP or not and I was unable to locate the appropriate thread for this... But I beileve it is very important fact to be known by those who drive on the highways...
1] while giving a pass to someone from your side, blink your respective indicator for three times. e.g. if you want to give a side to someone from your left side, blink your left indicator for three times letting him know that you are allowing him to pass from that side. Important thing here is to not change your lane at any time during this. As this may also lead him to think that you are going to change your lane after indicating. But if he knows this indication of Highway driving, he will overtake you from that side where you indicated.
2] While overtaking a bigger vehicle like a truck or a bus, use your dipper even in the day. Don't use your horn until he does not respond to you. Once he has given you the pass, don't forget to blink your indicator of that side from where you are going to overtake that bigger vehicle. This indicates that till the time you are overtaking, He can not come into your lane no matter whatever may come on his side as an obstacle. This safeguard you against his intentions to come back into your lane while you are overtaking which can be very dangerous.
3] Once you have overtaken a vehicle using only dippers and horn and not using the indicators, then you may use the indicator blinking three times of the same side from where you just overtook the vehicle. This is suppossed to be a "thank you " gesture to be given to vehicles allowing you to pass by.
I hope I have been correct in these usages as I could get hold of these from some call centre and truck drivers.
I have extensively used all these and these work with almost all vehicles on the highways except for some of the drivers who are not so frequent on the highways. Please correct me if I am wrong somewhere.
regards
Mendi
Old 5th January 2007, 14:27   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendi View Post
... But I beileve it is very important fact to be known by those who drive on the highways...
1] while giving a pass to someone from your side, blink your respective indicator for three times. e.g. if you want to give a side to someone from your left side, blink your left indicator for three times letting him know that you are allowing him to pass from that side. Important thing here is to not change your lane at any time during this. As this may also lead him to think that you are going to change your lane after indicating. But if he knows this indication of Highway driving, he will overtake you from that side where you indicated.
2] While overtaking a bigger vehicle like a truck or a bus, use your dipper even in the day. Don't use your horn until he does not respond to you. Once he has given you the pass, don't forget to blink your indicator of that side from where you are going to overtake that bigger vehicle. This indicates that till the time you are overtaking, He can not come into your lane no matter whatever may come on his side as an obstacle. This safeguard you against his intentions to come back into your lane while you are overtaking which can be very dangerous.
3] Once you have overtaken a vehicle using only dippers and horn and not using the indicators, then you may use the indicator blinking three times of the same side from where you just overtook the vehicle. This is suppossed to be a "thank you " gesture to be given to vehicles allowing you to pass by.
I hope I have been correct in these usages as I could get hold of these from some call centre and truck drivers.
I have extensively used all these and these work with almost all vehicles on the highways except for some of the drivers who are not so frequent on the highways. Please correct me if I am wrong somewhere.
regards
Mendi
Man, you make it sound so confusing. I only use my indicators before turning or changing lanes. Some truckers do, but even they block your way after blinking. So, I would much rather stick to my own confidence in the situation than follow such unwritten rules.
I agree with your suggestion regarding use of the horn/ dipper. I hate needless honkers. Also, your thank you idea is sweet.
But on the whole, I would rather not think of these suggestions as the Bible. I wait and make sure all is well before I overtake, and I only let some one overtake me if the road ahead is smooth enough for me.
Old 17th January 2007, 13:29   #36
Team-BHP Support

@ Mendi :

The practice i use and found kinda useful to vehicles behind askin to let them pass is to blink the indicator for one time in the direction/side they wud be overtaking me from. This indicates to them that i have understood their need and letting them pass.

In city limits, as well as highway, if someone obstacle (Cows, dogs) is present on the road, i use the hazard signals.
Old 5th September 2011, 15:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving - Best Practices

I have doubt- when you are turning right into a main lane, you will start with a right indicator but as you merge you may have to indicate to the traffic behind you that you are going to merge, so is it fine to change to the left indicator once you crossed the left lane?

I hope I am clear with my question :P

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks