Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2006, 15:32   #1

Here I go again with another very basic query which is of utmost importance to me. :-))
Folks,
As I have repeatedly pointed out in many other threads in this forum,I'm very new to the world of cars. I have just learnt to drive a car. This forum has been very encouraging and helping in many ways.

I would like to know if you guys can suggest me some best practices on driving a car to,

1. Avoid accidents :-)
2. Get a longer engine life
3. Get a longer clutch life
4. Get better mileage
etc.
Also other tips for dealing with situations like.
1. Someone rams his vehicle into yours and is in no mood to listen to you :-)
2. Dealing with police walahs in case of an accident etc.

Please add more points to this list.

Regs,
Melody
Old 27th October 2006, 17:06   #2
BHPian

Quote:
stop driving.. hehehe
well to avoid accidents.. do not drink and drive, while driving be alert and concentrate on driving, be confident in your driving, if you are tense and not in your control pleaseeeeee do not drive.
Quote:
get it serviced regularly from authorized service center.
Quote:
once you shift the gear please take your foot out of the clutch, touch the clutch only when shifting gear or when applying the breaks.
Quote:
4. Get better mileage
then use only good fuel and keep a check on your speed and how often you shift the gear.

well thats somethings as of my knowledge, team please correct me if anything is wrong..

cheers
Old 27th October 2006, 18:28   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore
touch the clutch only when shifting gear or when applying the breaks.
Isn't this dangerous as it freewheels the car ? Maybe at low speeds you do this to prevent engine stall but never at high speeds.

On one of the other threads there was a guy shifting Omni into neutral at 100 kph . Scary......
Old 27th October 2006, 19:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Treat the clutch like an enemy. Use it only when RPMs drop below 1000, and you are required to change gears. Do not cross 2000 rpm, and you will get good mileage.

If someone rams his vehicle, take down the number immediately. Call someone up and give them the number, so that he/she cannot snatch it away from you. Dealing with the cops...that'a a judgement call.
Old 28th October 2006, 16:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody
There is no shortcut route of avoiding accidents. At the most you may try to remain alert while driving and ensure that you do not cause any accident. But that does not mean that you may avoid it. Pray to God that you do not meet with an accident and thank him if you can avoid one.
Old 28th October 2006, 17:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

avoid accidents ???? well u drive safe and avoid female drivers (sorry to all women drivers but its true) avoid CYCLE WALAs

DONT REVV the engine in 'show'

m not going to say anything new here.. .. its the same old thing. . .MINIMAL use of clutch and dont drive on 'half clutch'.

4. Get better mileage
60-80 KMPH top gear.

etc.
well u cant do much about it, just complain to police, atlest in that way u can give him some pain.

AVOID THE SAME
Old 28th October 2006, 17:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Accidents cannot be prevented. That is why a minor/major mishap is called an accident. Well, there are a million things that you can control & that is what you have to do all the time without thinking about the things that you cant control. this will help you to concentrate more on what you are doing. (Greg Chappel's very valuable advice, i cant forget).
1. Anticipate a wrong move by the vehicle in front of you as well as the vehicle coming towards you and anticipate the people walking along the road to dart across the road.
2. Always anticipate negative movements from the other road users. This really helps in avoiding minor mishaps.
3. keep safe distances from Public Transports/Trucks etc when you wait behind them in a signal.
4. Give room for the 2/3 wheelers who are bent on rushing through unmindful of the traffic.
5. Never try to rush through a changing signal. Better to wait for the next turn.
6. While braking, excercise caution & take a look at the rear view mirror to see if there is a safe distance between you & the one following you.
7. While getting out of your car, make sure to look behind & in the side before you open the door.
There are plenty more to say, but i am running out of time. hope others will take it from here. thanks

Last edited by esteem_lover : 28th October 2006 at 17:49.
Old 28th October 2006, 18:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well esteem_lovers hit the proverbial nail on the head VELLY HARD...ANTICIPATION. This is the one thing that helps you avoid accidents. Well..most of them..at least.
Try out and develop techniques that give you that extra second of reaction time...eg...watching under buses for peoples legs to spot that guy who is crossing the road in front of the bus ready to jump in front of your car as you pass by...
- Kids and elderly people on the edge of the road..anticipate that they might cross the road at a moments notice.
- buses pulling out of stops...in Kerala private buses most likely his eyes are gonna be on the pretty lady in the seat behind...so no guarantee that he has seen you...and these guys pull out sharper and faster than an F1 car out of the pit stops. they seem to look everywhere except where it matters.

Give clear indications of your intentions to other drivers by whatever means possible. Waving hands, flashing lights etc. Some guys just need that bit extra to get them to know that you are present on the road.

As far as possible keep track of the traffic around you..like bikes sidling up to you..etc..if a bike behind you has disappeared chances are he is beside you...

Personally TEMPER for me is one of the thing that usually lands me in hotspots:-(..when you feel frustrated..just cool it and slow down. It works for me nowadays. Driving fast with a good driver is fun but if you think that the other guy is getting reckless..back off..your life is worth more than your ego..

Be considerate to other drivers. But be cautious too..in India consideration gets the other guys hit..eg..slowing down for pedestrians on a double lane highway is likely to get them hit by the maniac who is overtaking you from the left at a "fearsome" 40kmph.

Finally..something that helps me ..Driving is a privilege not a right. Remember that..

a few things i've found helpful..i am a far from perfect driver too.. Start slow, introspect your driving regularly, learn from your mistakes and i think you'll get better as you get more experience.

Drive on!!
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 28th October 2006 at 18:42.
Old 28th October 2006, 21:53   #9
GTS
BHPian

A small tip to avoid scratches and dents:

While stopping at a signal or so, either park to the extreme, near the median so that a two wheeler cant pass through the gap or else leave enough and more space for them to go through. Parking somewhere 'in between' is bound to cause trouble for sure.
Old 29th October 2006, 04:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427
avoid female drivers (sorry to all women drivers but its true)
You don't know the right female drivers.
Old 29th October 2006, 10:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4. Get better mileage
Melody
It would be good to check out the Team BHP advice section.
The topic you are looking at is http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...fficiency.html
Old 29th October 2006, 12:13   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here I go again with another very basic query which is of utmost importance to me. :-))
Folks,
As I have repeatedly pointed out in many other threads in this forum,I'm very new to the world of cars. I have just learnt to drive a car. This forum has been very encouraging and helping in many ways.

I would like to know if you guys can suggest me some best practices on driving a car to,

4. Get better mileage
etc.

Please add more points to this list.

Regs,
Melody
1. Avoiding accidents is actually that much more in our control than most people make of it. The key here is to not only think for yourself as a driver but also thinking for the other drivers on a road - particularly those vehicles that you deem to be of greater risk of causing an accident with your car. For e.g, if a call center cab is to the left to you and there's a right-turn opening coming up, it helps if you anticipate that he might cut right by slowing down youself first.
Basically never assume that other drivers always think rationally. And develop this knack/ability to predict what the other driver is going to do. Finally, never let you guard down especially on highways assuming that the road is going to be a manna from God every second. Always expect/look out for that ignormus who suddenly decides to cross the road, dog that crosses the road, boulders where you never expect them to be etc.

2. Longer engine life, well, simply stick the manufacturer's instructions.

3. Longer clutch life - never rest your foot on the clutch - you'll start riding the clutch then. Also, engage the clutch only when changing gears-release the clutch completely after a gear-change; do not depress the clutch while running in a gear , say when a descent appears.

4. Mileage is subjective to engine maintenance, quality of fuel and driving characteristics. Remember this objective - always shift to the highest gear as soon as possible. If you're above 45 kmph, you gotta shift to 5th. Try to drive the car in a way that you can use the highest gear to keep the revs down.

5. Irate driver - well, firstly remove your car keys so that he doesn't. Rest is really subjective abt who caused the accident and your people-skills.

6. Police - nothing much anybody can do. Never try to bribe him in public or not at all.

Last edited by theMAG : 29th October 2006 at 12:16.
Old 29th October 2006, 12:53   #13
GTS
BHPian

...And if I may add....try to drive at the appropriate speed for any particular gear, it doesnt help if you drive slowly at a higher gear.

Thanks.
GTS
Old 29th October 2006, 17:47   #14
BHPian

anticipating driving styles of bus drivers, auto rickshaws, two wheelers and pedestrians. Yielding to these drivers is always better.

Generally in the city I found revving up quickly is useless because you will start braking the next second.

Pedestrians and two wheelers on highways are the most dangerous. They can dart across the road at will and cause trouble because of our high speeds, anticipation helps a lot here.

On some highways (in A.P) a huge pot hole suddenly can appear infornt of you after going through a sharp turn. This is more likely if you are driving after rainy season.

While trying to pass a huge truck or bus, give sufficient distance behind the truck to have a good view of what is ahead.

Never slow down or stop immediately after overtaking, chances of getting rear ended are high.

Never try to pass a huge vehicle during a sharp curve unless you have a clear view of the oncoming traffic.

Make sure you are not in a wrong place between hazardous drivers by watching traffic around you.

Dont transfer all your sudden change of plans to driving. Dont stop suddenly or chane direction. Its ok if you miss a destination or address, you drive around and come back. Pull to the left if you have to think or change plans, then decide what to do.

One practise I hate to see is people driving on right because in the correct direction its longer. For all the bad practises there seems to be one excuse, " I have been driving fr years".

With our driving styles we are very lucky not to get hurt more regularly. Its sheer luck nothing else.

One imprtant thing:

Dont get irritated, pissed off, frustrated. PATIENCE is the key.
Old 29th October 2006, 19:37   #15
GTS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass
One practise I hate to see is people driving on right because in the correct direction its longer.
Buddy, I didnt seem to get this. Could someone elucidate?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks