Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2017, 13:39   #1

Need advice: My new Honda Jazz has a faulty (wavy) windscreen

Hello, I am Prashant, this is my first thread on Team-BHP so please excuse me for any mistakes.

I just came out of a terrible car buying experience with Solitaire Honda, Mumbai and I need some advice. Basically before I could even take the car out out of the showroom I figured out that the front windscreen of my car had a fault. It's like sometimes when you look at yourself in a faulty mirror ur body looks longer/disproportionate than what your body actually is. In the windscreen case it's wavy, the road for example from my eye level feels like a moving in a wave. While when I stick my neck up it's seems ok. I brought this into my sales guys notice immediately. They said they will get the car checked and get the windscreen replaced but my issue is I don't want to accept a faulty product as once the windscreen is replaced it can never be as good as a factory setup. I have also heard from a friend that once he got his Honda City's windscreen replaced its been rattling since then and the service guy told him that once the windscreen is replaced it will rattle as its not a company fitted anymore, he will have to live with it. Also will it not reflect on my service/repair record and effect the resale of my car.

I either want a new car or get my whole money refunded. Right now we have not accepted the car and its with the dealer only, we have taken a undertaking stating that the customer has refused to accept the car because of the faulty windscreen. What should I do? Help, thank you.

PS - More than 50% of the car's on road value is financed by Yes Bank the rest I paid as down payment.

PPS - Immediately after I left the showroom, on my way to work I got a notification from Yes Bank that my first EMI was deducted from my account, hurts even more.
airwicker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 15:25   #2
BHPian

re: Need advice: My new Honda Jazz has a faulty (wavy) windscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwicker View Post
I just came out of a terrible car buying experience with Solitaire Honda, .........Also will it not reflect on my service/repair record and effect the resale of my car.

I either want a new car or get my whole money refunded.

PS - More than 50% of the car's on road value is financed by Yes Bank the rest I paid as down payment.
Hi Prashant,

That's really bad that the windshield is defective. It is a safety hazard if the road appears wavy to you.

Not rubbing salt on the wound but this is exactly the reason you need to do an Pre Delivery Inspection before the car is registered so that you can refuse that car and ask for a new one. Maybe you did and this escaped your attention?

Usually once the car is registered it is extremely difficult for a customer to fight and get a new car, not impossible but very strenuous. Also a wavy windshield in their eyes is not a big issue. (But from our perspective it is our hard earned money and is not a joke)

Also want to clarify a few things regarding replacing the windshield. If a windshield is replaced properly it will not rattle. Plus it is bonded ans sealed using an​ epoxy glue firmly and the windshield has a good rubber beading around. If you friend says his windshield rattles that means it wasn't replaced properly. Because over a period of time all those rattles and shocks will catch the big glass out and it will develop cracks. Also other than the feel good factor that you don't have a car has been worked on just after taking delivery, there is nothing like factory setup. If the Windshield is replaced properly it is same as factory fit.

A replaced windshield does not matter if you plan on selling your car only after 5-6 years. It won't affect the resale value.

Would I be mad if this were to happen in my new car - Yes!! But I would get the windshield replaced and not let my new car sit with them, more so if I've already had a bad buying experience with them.

IMHO I think you should accept a replaced windshield but take it down in writing from them that if they do a shoddy job or if the windshield rattles/leaks that they need to buy back the car from you for the price you paid. Also ask for free extended warranty on the car and especially on the windshield.

Once again this is what I might have done had I been in your shoes. No offence meant, I totally understand it is your hard earned money and it hurts when you pay EMI for a vehicle that is not even there with you.

Last edited by Shanksta : 15th April 2017 at 15:32.
Shanksta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 15:39   #3
BHPian

Getting your car replaced by a new car or getting refund of whole money paid for the car just because of a faulty windscreen doesn't sound practical. There are people on the forum itself who had hard luck with their cars(actually lemons) and couldn't do anything about it. The most you can expect is a new windscreen supplied and fitted by the dealer free of cost.
There are good possibilities that you could be asked to share at least half of the price for a new windscreen. So rather than asking for a replacement of the car you should focus on getting a new windscreen free of cost. Make sure that the new windscreen bears same details (manufacturing etc.) as the original one.

Best regards
Aakarsh
Aakarsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 16:05   #4
BHPian

Quote:
I figured out that the front windscreen of my car had a fault. It's like sometimes when you look at yourself in a faulty mirror ur body looks longer/disproportionate than what your body actually is. In the windscreen case it's wavy, the road for example from my eye level feels like a moving in a wave. I don't want to accept a faulty product as once the windscreen is replaced it can never be as good as a factory setup.

It is just a faulty wind shield on an otherwise mechanically sound car. In my humble opinion, it is best to get the faulty wind shield replaced under warranty, especially since you have already purchased the car.

You can get in touch with the WindShield Experts for expert opinion and assistance. If you don't want to get it done at Honda, get it done with WindShield experts. It think you can claim insurance, but not sure.

Link: https://www.windshieldexperts.com/

NATION WIDE TOLL FREE (Landline & Mobile) : 1800-102-6364 | 09818866364

WHATSAPP NUMBER : +91-9599087715

Refer to the related Team-BHP thread here

And don't worry a properly fitted windshield is as good as new and should not rattle at all.

Last edited by BLACKBLADE : 15th April 2017 at 16:14. Reason: Typo corrected
BLACKBLADE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 16:09   #5
BHPian

Quote:
......was deducted from my account, hurts even more.
A little OT:

Also the reason your friends car might have rattle from the windshield is pretty common. Usually a new windshield does not contain the foam pad around the IRVM holder to prevent the base of the Rear view mirror housing from rubbing against the glass. At least in my case when I had my windshield replaced, the new one did not have it. I stuck a little foam around there before putting on the IRVM onto the glass.

In the picture below observe that the metal clip (encircled) for the IRVM on the old windshield had the foam, the black ring around the holder. The new one did not have that, it had only the holder.

Need advice: My new Honda Jazz has a faulty (wavy) windscreen-img_20170415_161420.jpg

Last edited by Shanksta : 15th April 2017 at 16:19.
Shanksta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 16:21   #6

Thanks Shanksta, Aakarsh, Blackblade for your immediate reply.

Shanksta, I did do a thorough PDI, as stated on the Team-BHP website, but yes I did miss out on the windscreen, we all did(my wife, my in-laws, they came to pick up the vehicle with me). It was only after a few minutes when I was taking the car out from the dealers parking when in motion i spotted the issue and as stated we never really took the car then. it went back to its parking spot where it was picked up from.

Thanks for clarifying my doubts over resale and windscreen replacement, all the members so far have advised me to get it replaced rather than losing sleep and fighting Honda and dealer for a new car.

I am waiting to hear from the dealer on this and I will take it from there. Will also ask my friend to not to compromise on the rattling of his windscreen, will pass on a third party contact as mentioned by Blackblade.

All these replies from you and other members have really helped, I can think straight now and I know what to do next.
airwicker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 16:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you mail Honda Cars India at customer_relations@hondacarindia.com I've had a favorable response when I did so and things were sorted out to my satisfaction.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 17:44   #8
BANNED

I have had my Kizashi's windshield replaced twice due to following trucks too closely at high speeds on the highway incurring stone chips. Not a single vibration. If your friend has had his windshield replaced and now it vibrates, that means it simply wasn't installed properly. If the company guy says that it is because they cannot replicate factory fit, then get it done from somewhere else. That is just an excuse used by inadept, lazy folks who don't even care about their job enough to do it properly. You simply won't get a brand new car for something like this and trust me, it is not as big a deal as your friends are making you fear it is. Go for a new windshield and have it installed properly

Last edited by IshaanIan : 15th April 2017 at 17:49.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 18:34   #9
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You need to think logically & practically about the issue at hand. Other BHPian's have already given you sound advice & I need not repeat the same thing again. Do update us on how this issue is resolved by the dealer.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 23:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Has the car been registered to your name? If not, then you can just ask them to give you another car.

I ask because I took my delivery on temporary registration and the permanent registeration was done a couple of weeks later.
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 08:37   #11
Team-BHP Support

Tough luck but can be easily fixed.

Do have a formal intimation/discussion with Honda that the car bearing the VIN had its windshield replaced due to a faulty factory-fitted one, at the time of delivery.

Should make any windshield related future claims easy.

Now, go ahead and get your car back! Don't let this spoil the overall happiness of car ownership.

Quote:
I have also heard from a friend that once he got his Honda City's windscreen replaced its been rattling since then and the service guy told him that once the windscreen is replaced it will rattle as its not a company fitted anymore, he will have to live with it. Also will it not reflect on my service/repair record and effect the resale of my car.
Absolutely not, actually. If done properly, it will be as good as new.

We've had the rear windshield of our earlier Zen replaced at M.A.S.S. because some clown broke it (road rage in Gurgaon) and in the two years of ownership post that, it never was evident.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 09:23   #12
BANNED

May be I am the only one who feels he needs to get another car.

All may find stupid and illogical but to me the car must be in good shape when taking a delivery.

It is one's hard earned money, the time spent which is all invaluable and one can't explain the mental state when the delivery date of the car nears. With this kind of a mental state, I don't to want to have a thought niggling back in my mind where something is wrong with the car.

An alarm of defective windscreen is now known to the customer and the dealer which was raised just at the time of delivery, now one can't ask someone who is totally excited and elated on the new car to take delivery of the car.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 10:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
May be I am the only one who feels he needs to get another car.

All may find stupid and illogical but to me the car must be in good shape when taking a delivery.

It is one's hard earned money, the time spent which is all invaluable and one can't explain the mental state when the delivery date of the car nears. With this kind of a mental state, I don't to want to have a thought niggling back in my mind where something is wrong with the car.
Of course, the sentiments of the OP is very much understandable, as shared by you. And I am sure everybody can understand that when we put ourselves in the OP's position.

But, the practical question here is, what is the best solution for the OP, given the situation. I agree with most here that, he is never going to get a completely new car as replacement of a car with faulty front windshield. I personally feel that a replacement windshield can be fitted perfectly well at the dealer's workshop, if attention is duly paid. Fortunately, I never had to go through this kind of experience with my cars. But some years ago, the front windshield of my neighbour's two days old car got shattered by somebody carrying a long pipe, in front of our homes. My neighbour was abroad and his wife came to us for help. all in tears. The dealership was called, and they got the windshield replaced within due time (can't remember now the number of days it took). Since then they have driven the car for quite a number of years without any problem or rattles.

I think speed of operation is the key issue here. OP should make sure that the dealership and perhaps Honda too acknowledge the problem in writing. Then the problem should be quickly solved by getting replacement windshield in place as quickly as possible. All these should be documented properly. But OP should not leave his car at dealership for longer than necessary.
asitkde is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 22:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

My current car and the one before this have had windshield replacements. The Vista doesn't squeak even after traversing over one lakh kms across the country. Replacement was done around 12-15k.

Just ensure they do a decent job to your satisfaction. Don't lose sleep over it. Enjoy your ride.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 09:58   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

An alarm of defective windscreen is now known to the customer and the dealer which was raised just at the time of delivery, now one can't ask someone who is totally excited and elated on the new car to take delivery of the car.
Not stupid or illogical, but it is just sentimental. Replacing the windscreen is a far simple and acceptable job compared to delivering someone an accidental car with bodywork. After all, this is not some damage caused at the dealers end. It is a manufacturing defect which went unnoticed at the company for which they ought to be responsible. This is where warranty comes into picture. Legally, the manufacturer will be liable to replace the faulty parts. When this is the norm, it will take years of legal battle and reach all heights in case if one wants a new car for a faulty windshield. Especially when the bank loan continues as it is, and the car will be in the possession of the court(?).

Hence, its best to be practical, let go of the vehicle for a day or two at max and ensure that the job is done to full satisfaction and enjoy the rest of many years with the car. Instead, making a huge fuss out of this will simply ruin the new car experience and will do no benefit.

Our SX4s rear windshield was smashed by a coconut the very next day it came home. This was on a Saturday and the Maruti Dealer did a tremendous job of arranging for a new windshield and delivered the car back to us on Sunday. We just dropped the car and imagined its been taken for a service. Initially it hurts, but its better to take it this way and forget what happened rather than expect for more and blame our luck and in this case expect a new car, which doesnt happen -> crib permanently.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks