Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2023, 16:03   #436
BHPian

Re: Maruti's AMT woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Anyway, 53,000 kms on stock clutch plate in an AMT is very good life, considering the fact that the AMT slips the clutch more than a manual transmission.
Considering clutch slips can potentially happen in AMTs, what might be a reasonable consideration in terms of Kms/Years by when clutch plates must be replaced. Let's say even if a driver is doing too well in operating AMTs in ensuring the gear changes are smooth enough.
Old 22nd December 2023, 08:16   #437
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCamShaft View Post
Considering clutch slips can potentially happen in AMTs, what might be a reasonable consideration in terms of Kms/Years by when clutch plates must be replaced. Let's say even if a driver is doing too well in operating AMTs in ensuring the gear changes are smooth enough.
Its difficult to predict since the clutch life varies from car to car and depends on the driving habits, driving conditions as well. But assuming that a manual transmission is driven properly, the corresponding AMT variant of the same car will last around 60%-70% of the MT variant.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 10:50   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
As expected, there is judder esp. in the 1-2 gears, as the AMT is lazy to downshift from 2 to 1, resulting in a little bit of clutch riding, but it is mostly noticed when driving in traffic. No judder is experienced on empty stretches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumer View Post
Been 2 years of comfortable ownership with my Brezza VDi AMT. One practice which I always follow is to shift manually into 1st when I slow down to 10kph or less. In D mode, it keeps riding the clutch and refuses to shift to 1st even when the speeds are very low and it is clearly apparent that it rides the clutch. I feel the system is stress free at the cost a little more fuel via manually downshifting.
I bought a new S-presso AMT and been driving it for last 4 days in Bangalore city traffic. AMT appears to be eager to downshift 1st gear. When slowing down, if speed drops to below 10kmph, it downshifts to 1st gear. As I am also used to driving a manual Ertiga I felt that in some of these cases AMT could have easily managed in 2nd gear, like when the road is plain or slightly downhill. Even the upshift to 3rd gear from 2nd happens only after crossing 28-30kmph.

After reading the above posts, I am wondering whether this behavior is to avoid clutch slipping. The downside is more jerky experience as there is an unexpected shift to 1st gear and then back to 2nd gear once the speed increases back to double digits.

Last edited by mohan41 : 3rd January 2024 at 11:04.
mohan41 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 11:00   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
I bought a new S-presso and been driving it for last 4 days in Bangalore city traffic. AMT appears to be eager to downshift 1st gear. When slowing down, if speed drops to below 10kmph, it downshifts to 1st gear. As I am also used to driving a manual Ertiga I felt that in some of these cases AMT could have easily managed in 2nd gear, like when the road is plain or slightly downhill. Even the upshift to 3rd gear from 2nd happens only after crossing 28-30kmph.

After reading the above posts, I am wondering whether this behavior is to avoid clutch slipping. The downside is more jerky experience as there is an unexpected shift to 1st gear and then back to 2nd gear once the speed increases back to double digits.
Maruti must have made some changes to the software to do that. Good move I'd personally say. As for me, 4+ years and 33000 kms of Delhi traffic on the factory clutch, I'm happy.
Sumer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 11:30   #440

Hello Kushagra452,
The clutch plate does seems to have worn out. Replacing clutch+clutch bearing would have been ok. Flywheel seems in ok condition and could have kept the same.
Good to know that now Gearshifts are smooth.
Old 14th January 2024, 12:44   #441
BHPian

I have two questions:

1) Is it ok to move the transmission between D mode and M mode while the car is running?
2) Is it ok to move the transmission from D to N while the car is slowing down when nearing a red light.
Old 14th January 2024, 13:39   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
I have two questions:

1) Is it ok to move the transmission between D mode and M mode while the car is running?
2) Is it ok to move the transmission from D to N while the car is slowing down when nearing a red light.
Ans 1 - No problem at all
Ans 2 - NEVER to be done

I purchased my Maruti Dzire AGS ZDI in Aug 2016 at Kolkata. It was the first AGS to be registered at the Salt Lake RTO. Having a budget constraint those days and add to the fact, I had just moved to India after using automatic transmissions (torque convertor and CVT), for me it had to be an automatic, but for me the AMT was a new concept. Till date my car has done 82,000 kms, absolutely trouble free. The below precautions I have undertaken from Day 1 (the same was applicable to all automatics I have used)
1 - Never change to N when the vehicle is rolling
2 - Always engage D or N at absolutely standstill position
3 - Never load the gearbox (when parking the car, with the foot brake depressed, shift to N, apply the hand brake and then release the foot brake, the load shifts to the wheels where the hand brake engages, only then press the foot brake again and change from N to P). In an AMT, follow the same, shift to M mode after the weight shift
4 - When stopping at stationary traffic / red traffic lights - shift to neutral and keep the foot brake depressed. This reduces the wear and tear on the clutch plate considerably. The same I have taught my driver. Hope this helps.
ALTIMAed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks