Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2017, 10:37   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Chassis number / VIN has gotten completely rusted

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
The manufacturer should take moral responsibility and fix it for you free here. If it needs RTO inspection or anything, the manufacturer should bear the process and costs.
Why so? How did you arrive at this solution without knowing the root cause?

- Is that a material defect? If so, corrosion should have happened at other area as well
- Is that a design failure? If so, every other car on road should have this issue reported

Do you have any such data on hand?
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 11:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Why so? How did you arrive at this solution without knowing the root cause?

- Is that a material defect? If so, corrosion should have happened at other area as well
- Is that a design failure? If so, every other car on road should have this issue reported

Do you have any such data on hand?
Are you saying its quite common to see such amounts of rust on cars generally in just 10yrs? That too in Bangalore?

Recall happens if its a batch of cars with same issue.

In this case, its one off and manufacturer could still take responsibility for poor product given.

I happen to own a Ambassador of exact same age. It was in Pondy and now with me. You should probably see it to understand how little rust it has compared to the more modern dzire in this case.

Last edited by funkykar : 29th April 2017 at 11:02.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 11:19   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are you saying its quite common to see such amounts of rust on cars generally in just 10yrs?
I mean to say any car in B'lore or or Washington gets rusted not ONLY because of manufacturing defect and the manufacturer alone don't hold the responsibility.

Quote:
In this case, its one off and manufacturer could still take responsibility for poor product given.
Can you prove this is a poor product? Do you have the data?

Quote:
I happen to own a Ambassador of exact same age. It was in Pondy and now with me. You should probably see it to understand how little rust it has compared to the more modern dzire in this case.
You should visit me in person, I can give you a handful of customers who hide anything and everything and blame the manufacturer to get their mistakes corrected at someone's cost.

I don't mean the OP is hiding something and blaming the manufacturer, my question is quite simple how did you conclude it's a manufacturing defect or a poor product? If you could prove, I stand with you to get it corrected by M.A.S.S

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 29th April 2017 at 11:23.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 21:42   #34
Senior - BHPian

Mr Boss, I think there is no need to dig into so deeply. We need to take things at face value. Unless OP states certain poor maintenance caused it, we should take it as it naturally rusted.

What data you need for this? Whatever OP has received 10 year ago, the quality is not good. OP posting this thread itself is data. I also have already stated this as one off and I am not blaming the product in its entirety. On other hand, I have noticed more Tata/Mahindra cars rusted than Maruti or Hyundai cars. I visit the scrap yard also frequently for classic car spares. I have hardly or say cant even remember seeing MAruti cars that came in which were due to rust. Most arrive as their bodies are battered/accidents and so on.

1000's of Tbhp threads, do each one of us analyze beyond what can be derived at face value? If you are doing such, I salute you!

Lets move on.

Last edited by funkykar : 29th April 2017 at 21:54.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 22:34   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What data you need for this? Whatever OP has received 10 year ago, the quality is not good. OP posting this thread itself is data.
Couldn't agree.

OP data alone can't be taken as a granted to say the product is faulty.

Have a look at below thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-chassis.html
As per post #1 it looks like a faulty product or the failure happened all of a sudden. Post #9 clarifies the actual issue.

If you could verify the subject car's past 10 year maintenance and then ask the manufacturer to take the blame, I agree. Else I couldn't. What we have here is a half cooked data. We can discuss about the probabilities and root cause with that data, concluding that it's manufacturer responsibility at this stage is not acceptable at least to me.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 14:24   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

VIN Plate damaged, ideas needed for restoring it

Dear Team,

A close friend's 1991 Maruti 800 is getting restored. It's VIN plate is badly damaged. What options do we have ??

Pic of the damaged VIN Plate

Chassis number / VIN has gotten completely rusted-img20180221wa0000.jpg

Pic of an unscathed VIN Plate

Chassis number / VIN has gotten completely rusted-20180220_174942.jpg

Can we make stencils and then paint it?? As it's evident in the 2nd picture, some part is embossed while some part is painted.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 13:24   #37
BHPian

Hi shashi,
the plate has screws and thats great to get the plate removed, rivets are a pain and what i would suggest is clean the plate or get a similar sized one, get a sticker shop to print the information you need and stick it on this plate, the numbers that need to be punched can be punched in a lathe,once all done you can mount the plate back.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2018, 17:34   #38
BHPian

Dear BHPians, i am having same rusting problem with my 2011 Swift Vdi. When RTO person inspected the car, he asked me to submit an application for issuance of DT number. Once issued, i can then request for a NOC. Though he was in a rush and didnt explained me what is a DT number.

Any guesses ?
Old 28th February 2020, 11:49   #39
BHPian

I have posted my experience of getting over this issue in this post:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...xperience.html

Hope this helps
Old 23rd May 2020, 14:37   #40
Senior - BHPian

My father's Swift 2005 is due for FC renewal next month and unfortunately the chassis /engine that is inscribed on the body in the engine bay is partially rusted.
However the plate with the details on the door panel is fine.

Will this be a problem to get the FC renewed?
Attached Thumbnails
Chassis number / VIN has gotten completely rusted-60bbce5144a1408d892b40ca57c936b2.jpeg  

Chassis number / VIN has gotten completely rusted-fd2834ed023d4a2988f4747d51973c86.jpeg  

tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 17:04   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
My father's Swift 2005 is due for FC renewal next month and unfortunately the chassis /engine that is inscribed on the body in the engine bay is partially rusted.
However the plate with the details on the door panel is fine.

Will this be a problem to get the FC renewed?
You need to take imprint of the inscription on the chassis(which in your case is rusted) on the form and not the VIN plate.

There is little you can do if rust has completely eaten through the metal like in the first post of this thread. However in your case I think there is some hope. So this is what I'd recommend:

Strictly don't use sanding or any mechanical abrasion method.

Get a cloth soaked in white vinegar and keep it over that rusted area overnight. Since vinegar isn't that aggressive, you will need a longer dwell time.

If this doesn't work much then get Rustoleum Crud Kutter rust removal chemical. It's available on Amazon India. Get some cotton balls soaked in this chemical and let it sit over the rusted part for 30 min. Then wash away the area properly with soap and water and examine if it has removed the rust completely and if the inscription is visible.

Do keep us posted.

Regards,
Shashi
Old 26th May 2020, 17:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
You need to take imprint of the inscription on the chassis(which in your case is rusted) on the form and not the VIN plate.

There is little you can do if rust has completely eaten through the metal like in the first post of this thread. However in your case I think there is some hope. So this is what I'd recommend:

Strictly don't use sanding or any mechanical abrasion method.

Get a cloth soaked in white vinegar and keep it over that rusted area overnight. Since vinegar isn't that aggressive, you will need a longer dwell time.

If this doesn't work much then get Rustoleum Crud Kutter rust removal chemical. It's available on Amazon India. Get some cotton balls soaked in this chemical and let it sit over the rusted part for 30 min. Then wash away the area properly with soap and water and examine if it has removed the rust completely and if the inscription is visible.

Do keep us posted.

Regards,
Shashi
Thankfully, the inspector approved the renewal since the last 6 digits is what was required and what was mentioned on the RC card, and that could be stenciled onto the form.

However, I will try the methods you mentioned and see if it helps.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 09:30   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thankfully, the inspector approved the renewal since the last 6 digits is what was required and what was mentioned on the RC card, and that could be stenciled onto the form.

However, I will try the methods you mentioned and see if it helps.
Now would be a good time to apply a layer of some protective sealant on the area. Next time you will be sure that the number is still visible.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 10:08   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

If this doesn't work much then get Rustoleum Crud Kutter rust removal chemical. It's available on Amazon India.

Do keep us posted.

Regards,
Shashi
I tried the vinegar method and let it sit overnight. I could barely see a number in the rust this morning. But doesn't seem to have worked.

Could you send the link for the Rust-oleum product? I couldn't find it on Amazon.

Thanks.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 11:24   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I tried the vinegar method and let it sit overnight. I could barely see a number in the rust this morning. But doesn't seem to have worked.

Could you send the link for the Rust-oleum product? I couldn't find it on Amazon.

Thanks.
It seems the dealer has removed that product from Amazon. It's still listed for sale but from another retailer at much higher cost. https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00CIQW0CA/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_.ik0Eb62VJ4XR

Authorised dealer of Rustoleum in India is Truworth Homes and its available on their site: https://truworthhomes.com/products/k...5741182a&_ss=r

Some other useful links:

1. My experience with the product: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4517417 (The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27)

2. Product video:

Regards,
Shashi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks