Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2006, 00:16   #1
BHPian

Hello BHPians

My car's front tyres were wobbling at high speeds and there was some knocking sound too in the shock ups. There was play also in the steering.I took the car to the maruti authorised service centre for check up and I was asked to go for a complete overhaul of front suspension and steering.

Once the suspension was opened, I got a call from the service centre stating that the lower arms needed to be changed and also ball joints along with all the bushing.

After all this was done, wheel balancing and alingment was done. All this costed me 8350, and now car is working fine as far as the knocking sound is not there. But before giving the car to service centre the wobbling happened only at 80 kmh and above but now it starts at 40 kmph itself. When I told the service centre guys they told me that this is because the tyres of the car are not proper and not of the same brand. As I am using goodyear and bridgestone tyres. Two bridgestones in the front and two goodyear in the back. I am not happy with the answer.

Please suggest what needs to be done.
Old 8th November 2006, 02:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj
Two bridgestones in the front and two goodyear in the back.
Please suggest what needs to be done.
you need to have all four tires from the same manufacturer with the same dimensions.
mix and match only means big trouble for your suspension - which has already begun to show itself.

this does not apply in case you drive a car that comes factory-fitted with front and rear wheels of different dimensions -> this generally applies to high-end premium sedans and sports-cars, where the manufacturer has previously matched wheel sizes prior to mass-manufacturing.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th November 2006 at 02:57.
Old 8th November 2006, 02:58   #3
BHPian

My car is a Maruti Esteem. Dimensions of all the tyres are standard 155/80R13. Its just that they are from different manufacturers. Does this cause a problem ?
Old 8th November 2006, 03:26   #4
Team-BHP Support

although tyre dimensions are the same all around, tyres of different brands will have variations in appearance and tread design, which will (probably) lead to variations in actual dimensions.

to have matched tyres all around is recommended by tyre and automobile authorities the world over.

speculation: your initial suspension overhaul could be part of general maintenance procedure. however, depending on how many kms your car has covered and on how long you've had the un-matched tyres on, it would prove to be a problem.

if not corrected soon, it will lead to bigger bills in suspension repairs in future. also, safety is a big issue as your tyres are the only contact your car has with the ground.

if you wish, take your cars to reputed tyre shops around your area for recommendations.
Old 8th November 2006, 10:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My car is a Maruti Esteem. Dimensions of all the tyres are standard 155/80R13. Its just that they are from different manufacturers. Does this cause a problem ?
I has similar problem with my Esteem see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...110-kph-4.html. The problem was more or less corrected after I did wheel alignment. But recently I took my car service center owned my my family.

They serviced my steering box and changed 2 ball joints. According to my cousin, who is the chief mechanic, the wheels had devoleped play, leading to wobbling.

Anyway, after the changes, the car is rock steady even at 120+. May be a good area to investigate for you too.

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 8th November 2006 at 10:29.
Old 9th November 2006, 03:23   #6
BHPian

Well the ball joint, lower arm and suspension struts have been changed right now when I gave for the steering overhaul. Hence I expect that the parts used are genuine and there would be no play because of that. I have also got the wheel balanced and alinged at the Maruti service centre at Mulund (Car Kraft). This is a real bad experience.
Old 9th November 2006, 08:09   #7
BHPian

Even i have got the same problem, im using bridgestone tyres on the front(new) and mrf(old) at the rear. The mechanic told me the same reason
Old 10th November 2006, 00:38   #8
BHPian

Well can anyone please give me some more answers to my problem as the car is very unstable at high speeds. plzzzzzz can any one give me the email address of Maruti where I can complain.
Old 10th November 2006, 08:42   #9
BHPian

@kailashnj: Do get your wheel balancing done of each wheel in front of you, since many a times the guys tell you they've done alignment and balancing when they just do alignment, and not balancing. Also check for a bent or uneven rim, which could also be the case.

if this doesn't help, your only answer would be to change all 4 tyres, tyres which have uneven treadware or treading below 40% (especially MRF, since i've had first hand experience with these in our zen) start giving a bumpy ride and also lead to steering wobbling at high speeds.

hope this info helps you

cheers!
Shrivz.

Last edited by shrivz : 10th November 2006 at 08:45.
Old 10th November 2006, 18:28   #10
BHPian

Problem Solved

Today I changed the rubber on my esteem to a tubeless Michelin XM1 tyres. They are 175/70 R13 available for esteem. At first I thought of going in for the Potenza but since the required size was not available I settled for Michelin after lot of coaxing from the dealer. I got the 4 tyres + Conversion valves (for Tubeless) + Wheel Balancing along with weights + Wheel Alignment for Rs 10500. (Please let me know if all this has costed me more or is it the correct price that I have paid.)

After the change in the tyres and alingment and balancing the car is working like dream. No wobbling and also does not feel light (flying effect) at high speeds. I am impressed by the tyres. Now I have planned to fill it with nitrogen gas so that I have a peace of mind. Thanks to all you Tbhpian for support who helped me in making my mind to change the tyres. Special Thanks to Esteem_Lover and all others advice to stick to the 175 rubber.
Old 10th November 2006, 19:39   #11
BHPian

great to hear thay you're problem's been solved!
Old 10th November 2006, 19:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got the 4 tyres + Conversion valves (for Tubeless) + Wheel Balancing along with weights + Wheel Alignment for Rs 10500.

Did not go for a spare tyre?

Could somebody please tell In case of tubeless tyres do we require a spare tyre?

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 10th November 2006 at 19:58.
Old 13th November 2006, 01:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
Did not go for a spare tyre?

Could somebody please tell In case of tubeless tyres do we require a spare tyre?
Like all cars, my car also has a stepney or a spare tyre. I have not changed the spare tyre and its till the original 155/80 tyre that came with the car. I will only use it in emergencies. I think with tubeless, I don't think I have much need of the spare tyre. The reason why tubeless are so much in demand is because even if your car's tyre has a puncture you can still drive the car to a certain distance. (Correct me if I am wrong bhpian) so probably i will not use the spare tyre at all. And since the tyres are new chances of them getting punctured soon is a rare commodity.
Old 13th November 2006, 10:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

You can drive your punctured tyre[Tubeless] for a certain distance absolutely true.

But having a spare tyre 155/80R13 while the rest are 175/70 R13 is not a good idea,agreed you may never need the spare tyre however in India especially on highways you never know.

Offtopic:
BMW is facing homologation problems in India due to the absence of spare tyres inspite of having more advanced run flat technology

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 13th November 2006 at 11:00.
Old 13th November 2006, 11:57   #15
BANNED

Hi Tbhpian,
Recently I have purchased a second hand Santro and after taking the car delivery I came to know that the spare tyre in the car is 155/80 R13 (where as other 4 tyres are 155/70 R13). When checked with the tyre shop, they adviced me to replace the spare tyre and one of the current tyres with the new one and using these new one in front of the car. After reading this thread I am in diellema whether it will cause the same wobbling effect in the car.

Is it advisable to do such kind of replacement? Also till then can the spare tyre be used for the short distance in case of any puncture?

Thanks,
Amit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks