Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2017, 13:49   #16
BHPian

re: Rust formation on brand-new WagonR's roof? EDIT: Not rust, resolved!

If this is indeed 'rust', then i am still not able to digest this 'daring act' of the dealer here? In this 'connected' world, how can they get away with this kind of cheating? to say the least
kavensri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 13:51   #17
BHPian

Looks like something has happened during transit.

Does not look like production issue.

If nothing works - get it sanded, base coated and re painted. Then you should be fine, it will not spread as long as it is painted and not exposed to air.

Last edited by aerohit : 5th September 2017 at 13:54.
aerohit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 14:27   #18
BHPian

My Relative faced the same issue in his Swift back in 2010. However it turned out to be surface rust, The Dealership manager has said that it was due to the rust that dropped into the roof from the trailer. However evidently PDI missed it. Hyundai and Ford cars come with a protective cover on the roof and hood. MSIL should also start to use ir.
sureshkishore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 14:29   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
If nothing works - get it sanded, base coated and re painted. Then you should be fine, it will not spread as long as it is painted and not exposed to air.
After paying money for a brand new car? Why would anyone agree for such a fix? It is not even one day on the road! And if this is the state of body exterior, go knows how the interior bits are and trust me once such kind of rusting (if it is rust) starts it is impossible to get a permanent fix.
Jaggu is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 15:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

Grab some cutting compound and try buffing it out. (Small portion - 1"x 1")

If it comes out.... its not rust.
AbhiJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 18:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Please ensure you check the entire car thoroughly inside out.
Check for rust at places like underneath carpet or in boot area.

The dealership IMO is not going to clean it, but may just re-spray the car.
silverado is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 13:06   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post
As mentioned in EDIT above, the maruti dealer is insisting that it is not rust but I completely suspect it, taking into consideration your advice I have advised them to clean and show me as my FNG couldn't clean it .

There is no apparent shade change but I will check once again.
While they are at it, please ensure that you are around and recording all of what they are doing with your vehicle, nothing, I mean nothing should be done to handle this situation in your absence.

You never know, to what extent people can go to cover up their mess.
Engine_Roars is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 14:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And now with our new WagonR, whose delivery we took yesterday, has rust all over the roof, hood and door panels
From the rust formation, this may be caused by overhead WELDING SPRAY and this could have happened at anywhere, say inside the car carrier as they may prepping some holes on roof for monsoons, at dealer yard or even at their showroom. The welding spray burnt the paint and in the inclement weather, the rust took no time to form & appear.
Just my viewpoint.

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 16:49   #24
BHPian

. By the emoji, most of you would have understood that the issue has been resolved, actually my suspicion has been put to an end.

It came to an end when the GM Service showed me this:
Rust formation on brand-new WagonR's roof? EDIT: Not rust, resolved!-20170906_153544.jpg

Closing Up:
Rust formation on brand-new WagonR's roof? EDIT: Not rust, resolved!-20170906_154446.jpg

He said, "This cannot be rust because orvms have plastic covers which cannot rust."

How can a BHPian defy logic. I also agreed, he was not apologetic but treated me well. He also had no clue about what was it and why was it there. I got it cleaned partially since I was in a hurry.

I think this was the case since some other cars there also had it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
My Relative faced the same issue in his Swift back in 2010. However it turned out to be surface rust, The Dealership manager has said that it was due to the rust that dropped into the roof from the trailer. However evidently PDI missed it. Hyundai and Ford cars come with a protective cover on the roof and hood. MSIL should also start to use it.
The roof after cleaning:
Rust formation on brand-new WagonR's roof? EDIT: Not rust, resolved!-20170906_152131.jpg

Rust formation on brand-new WagonR's roof? EDIT: Not rust, resolved!-20170906_152123.jpg

Rust formation on brand-new WagonR's roof? EDIT: Not rust, resolved!-20170906_152126.jpg

Rust formation on brand-new WagonR's roof? EDIT: Not rust, resolved!-20170906_152121.jpg

Now going a bit

Pic of my new blue eyed boy

Rust formation on brand-new WagonR's roof? EDIT: Not rust, resolved!-20170906_161822.jpg

The badge compared to our existing wagonR

Rust formation on brand-new WagonR's roof? EDIT: Not rust, resolved!-20170906_160045.jpg

Rust formation on brand-new WagonR's roof? EDIT: Not rust, resolved!-20170906_160131.jpg

Number plates compared:
Rust formation on brand-new WagonR's roof? EDIT: Not rust, resolved!-20170906_160038.jpg

Rust formation on brand-new WagonR's roof? EDIT: Not rust, resolved!-20170906_160123.jpg

You would not have seen such a love for WagonRs. We have two in the garage simultaneously.

Thanks to all fellow BHPians to help me solve my problem

With Regards,
Shreyas Kumar Agarwal

Keep Revvin'

Last edited by Aditya : 7th September 2017 at 17:10. Reason: Typo
Shreyas Agarwal is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 17:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

Great to know issue is resolved.

Please let us know how it was cleaned ? Did they use some special cleaning agent?
DCEite is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 20:01   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I also agreed, he was not apologetic but treated me well.He also had no clue about what was it and why was it there. I got it cleaned partially since I was in a hurry.
Confused after reading the post following the smiley.

Glad to know it's not rust, but is still a very appalling condition for a brand new car. Have they provided any further resolutions to get it to the brand new condition it deserves to be in?

Last edited by GTO : 8th September 2017 at 09:22. Reason: typo in quoted post corrected
Old 6th September 2017, 20:21   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
From the rust formation, this may be caused by overhead WELDING SPRAY
I faced the same issue twice on my white Corolla; the windscreen, front bumper and the ORVMs was coated with spots which wouldn't go away till very fine water emery was used.

The first time this happened, I suspected someone had operated a grinding wheel quite close to the car. The second time, it was slag/grinding wheel dust from an overhead structure.

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th September 2017 at 14:38. Reason: Post edited. Please always use spaces after punctuation marks! Thanks.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 08:34   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad to see its not rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
... but, I think its not really rust, or rust from this vehicle.
How did they sort it out?

Also, on a brand new car you shouldn't compromise and get it fully cleaned up. It puts some benchmark standards for the service centre when dealing with you as a customer.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 08:48   #29
Senior - BHPian

Aggressive claying and something like IronX can sort this out easy.

It looks like rail dust which started to rust after getting bonded to the top layer of paint(owing to high humidity or rainy season)
sohail99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 10:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rust formation on brand-new WagonR's roof? EDIT: Not rust, resolved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I faced the same issue twice on my white Corolla; the windscreen,front bumper and the ORVMs was coated with spots which wouldn't go away till very fine water emery was used.

The first time this happened,I suspected someone had operated a grinding wheel quite close to the car.The second time,it was slag/grinding wheel dust from an overhead structure.
In my case last year, it was a iron rod cutter being used by a construction crew that was building an additional floor on a nearby house. Or possibly fireworks let off by some kids on our building's terrace, as this was a few days after diwali.

Luckily they were surface stains and buffing the car with a rotary buffer and 3M rubbing compound removed them. Even luckier because I'd just had the car treated with Teflon paint protection which meant that the spots didn't stick on - if they'd hit bare paint they'd have been seared into the metal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks