Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2017, 11:41   #1
BHPian

Rust formation on brand-new WagonR's roof? EDIT: Not rust, resolved!

To all fellow BHPians,
I can't understand if it is my bad luck or something else.

After suffering from this : Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

And now with our new WagonR, whose delivery we took yesterday, has rust all over the roof, hood and door panels.

An event full of mistakes

I know it was my mistake to take the delivery of the car at 8 in the night but it was theirs too to delay my PDI.

I could not decode the VIN as it was different from fellow BHPian Wildon's thread but was assured that it was AUGUST 2017 model, I remember the last two letters of the VIN, G&H so I thought it was JULY 2017.

Here are the pictures:
Rust formation on brand-new WagonR's roof? EDIT: Not rust, resolved!-20170905_104236.jpg

Rust formation on brand-new WagonR's roof? EDIT: Not rust, resolved!-20170905_104231.jpg

Rust formation on brand-new WagonR's roof? EDIT: Not rust, resolved!-20170905_104224.jpg

Rust formation on brand-new WagonR's roof? EDIT: Not rust, resolved!-20170905_104218.jpg

I know it was completely my mistake but I expect a replacement, I would have settled for a repair like in the Innova's case but rust is like a cancer which cannot be treated.

Help is awaited.

With Regards,
Shreyas

Last edited by GTO : 5th September 2017 at 16:11. Reason: Typo
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 11:50   #2
BHPian

re: Rust formation on brand-new WagonR's roof? EDIT: Not rust, resolved!

Wow! This is absolutely unacceptable!

The fact that the dealer let this vehicle be delivered to the customer is itself is shocking! Even after a customer is willing to spend 5-6 lakhs, the customer has to be 'vigilant' as if he's buying vegetables from roadside vendor is depressing.

Don't let this go. Raise stink with Maruti. Raise hell on social media. Don't settle for 'repair' or even a replacement. Insist on refund of full amount & take your business elsewhere.

The lack of customer protection laws in this country allows such crooked behavior from dealers & automakers.

Maruti should be ashamed of themselves.
Desi Dybuk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 11:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

It is very strange to have rust formation in such spots.
Have you tried cleaning off the surfaces with a cloth or soap to see if it is actually rust?

If it actually rusted, then the paint in those areas will have been chipped. Can you check if paint in those spots has actually chipped off?

If it is the case, then you would have to get the affected panels repainted after scraping off the rust from the surface and subsequent sanding etc.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 12:28   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
It is very strange to have rust formation in such spots.
Have you tried cleaning off the surfaces with a cloth or soap to see if it is actually rust?
Tried with the softest cloth and the roughest rag but no gain. Took it to a nearby FNG, he too said it is rust.

Quote:
If it actually rusted, then the paint in those areas will have been chipped. Can you check if paint in those spots has actually chipped off?
Paint has not chipped off, but there was a some bubble formation around the door panel.

Quote:
If it is the case, then you would have to get the affected panels repainted after scraping off the rust from the surface and subsequent sanding etc.
I expect replacement but in the real world things are different so I am glad to know that my hood and roof will be scraped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi Dybuk View Post
Wow! This is absolutely unacceptable!

The fact that the dealer let this vehicle be delivered to the customer is itself is shocking! Even after a customer is willing to spend 5-6 lakhs, the customer has to be 'vigilant' as if he's buying vegetables from roadside vendor is depressing.

Don't let this go. Raise stink with Maruti. Raise hell on social media. Don't settle for 'repair' or even a replacement. Insist on refund of full amount & take your business elsewhere.

The lack of customer protection laws in this country allows such crooked behavior from dealers & automakers.

Maruti should be ashamed of themselves.
If the lemon law existed I would have a stronger foot. I will raise this issue to MS India.
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 12:29   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post
.. rust is like a cancer which cannot be treated.
Help is awaited.
With Regards,
Shreyas
Looks like the car gods arent happy with you..

It is strange to see rust on flat panels and not on joints and welds.. I know you might have tried everything you can, but, I think its not really rust, or rust from this vehicle.

Can you try using a rubbing compound and see whats underneath?
dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 12:35   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Looks like the car gods arent happy with you..

It is strange to see rust on flat panels and not on joints and welds.. I know you might have tried everything you can, but, I think its not really rust, or rust from this vehicle.

Can you try using a rubbing compound and see whats underneath?
The FNG nearby tried rubbing with some compound but the spots stayed there, only the orange watermarks went away.

EDIT: The Maruti Dealership is also saying that they are some external marks and can be cleaned but I suspect it.

Last edited by Shreyas Agarwal : 5th September 2017 at 12:40.
Old 5th September 2017, 12:37   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The FNG nearby tried rubbing with some compound but the spots stayed there, only the orange watermarks went away.
If it is indeed rust 'to this extent on a brand new car, you deserve a replacement. What is the response the service center is giving you.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 12:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Is the car always under covered parking?

Spillage of some acids can cause paint to erode and bare metal to rust.

Rust formation from the inside would mean that the sheet metal is faulty or has not gotten proper anti corrosion. This type of corrosion will form as blisters under the paint. Since this is on the external surface am afraid this is something external. Whether it happened in Maruti's premises or the dealers or yours, need to be thought out.

Did you not note this during delivery?
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 12:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Paint has not chipped off, but there was a some bubble formation around the door panel.
In that case, these may be rust 'stains', not rusting on the roof panel itself, but of some thing else, which has got itself sprayed or scattered on your car roof.

Have you noticed the areas in our homes where we keep Gas Cylinders?
The Tiles/Floor underneath will appear rusted, even though those are just rust stains.

You could take a look here:
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Rust-Stains-from-Paint

Last edited by GTO : 5th September 2017 at 16:06. Reason: typo
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 12:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps. these area would have been repainted by the dealer, necessitated due to scratches or dents occurred during transit or handling. Is there any noticeable shade change at these spots?

Last edited by rajeev k : 5th September 2017 at 12:48.
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 12:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
If it is indeed rust 'to this extent on a brand new car, you deserve a replacement. What is the response the service center is giving you.
As mentioned in EDIT above, the maruti dealer is insisting that it is not rust but I completely suspect it, taking into consideration your advice I have advised them to clean and show me as my FNG couldn't clean it .
Quote:
Perhaps. these area would have been repainted by the dealer necessitated due to scratches or dents occurred during transit or handling. Is there any noticeable shade change at these spots?
There is no apparent shade change but I will check once again.

Last edited by Shreyas Agarwal : 5th September 2017 at 12:55.
Old 5th September 2017, 12:56   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I know it was my mistake to take the delivery of the car at 8 in the night but it was theirs too to delay my PDI.

I could not decode the VIN as it was diferrent from fellow Widon's thread but was assured that it was AUGUST 2017 model, I remember the last two letters of the VIN, G&H so I thought it was JULY 2016
1) Which dealership is this?

2) What does the decoded VIN actually show as the MY? (Your post is unclear - maybe share the VIN if you can't figure it out)

3) Have you written to Maruti's customer service themselves? Suggest you do this before trying to 'fix' the problem by cleaning etc.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th September 2017 at 13:00.
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 12:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

This is indeed RUST which has surfaced right down from the bare metal. These marks cannot be removed with any solution/compound/process, it'll require a proper prep work and respray. What you see on the roof is very similar to the "Chrome Pitting" one experiences on most aged, chrome plated parts on bikes/old cars.

IMHO, you should contact Maruti and sternly ask for a replacement/ refund as its a newly delivered vehicle.

Last edited by samsag12 : 5th September 2017 at 13:02.
samsag12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 13:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
This is indeed RUST which has surfaced right down from the bare metal. These marks cannot be removed with any solution/compound/process, it'll require a proper prep work and respray. What you see on the roof is very similar to the "Chrome Pitting" one experiences on most aged, chrome plated parts on bikes/old cars.

IMHO, you should contact Maruti and sternly ask for a replacement/ refund as its a newly delivered vehicle.
Maruti dealer "CONCEPT CARS" Sitapur has said that it is not rust and cleaning would remove it. So I am waiting for results at their workshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
1) Which dealership is this?

2) What does the decoded VIN actually show as the MY? (Your post is unclear - maybe share the VIN if you can't figure it out)

3) Have you written to Maruti's customer service themselves? Suggest you do this before trying to 'fix' the problem by cleaning etc.
1. The dealer is concept cars Sitapur.
2. The decoded VIN shows July 2017.
3. No, but I have not tried to fix the issue, now I am at the dealership and they are assuring me that it is not rust but something else, they are cleaning it themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
In that case, these may be rust 'stains', not rusting on the roof panel itself, but of some thing else, which has got itself sprayed or scattered on your car roof.

Have you notices the areas in our homes where we keep Gas Cylinders?
The Tiles/Floor underneath will appear rusted, even though those are just rust stains.

You could take a look here:
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Rust-Stains-from-Paint
Thanks for your advice, now waiting to see the car cleaned with my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Is the car always under covered parking?

Spillage of some acids can cause paint to erode and bare metal to rust.

Rust formation from the inside would mean that the sheet metal is faulty or has not gotten proper anti corrosion. This type of corrosion will form as blisters under the paint. Since this is on the external surface am afraid this is something external. Whether it happened in Maruti's premises or the dealers or yours, need to be thought out.

Did you not note this during delivery?
The car was bought yesterday, so whatever happened took pace at the dealership. As mentioned, nothing was seen during delivery as it was handed over during night.

Last edited by Shreyas Agarwal : 5th September 2017 at 13:37.
Old 5th September 2017, 13:35   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

And now with our new WagonR, whose delivery we took yesterday, has rust all over the roof, hood and door panels.
How is the surface on feeling with hands? Careful not to cut to yourself, but if it is rust it is very easy to find out with just visual inspection and hands.

Would suggest you raise a complaint directly with MUL also, even for a 2016 car stored outside such rusting is UNACCEPTABLE. And do not compromise with a clean up and painting, if it is RUST.

Quiet shocking to see this
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed