Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2017, 22:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Severe rusting issues in my Mahindra Thar

Is the Mahindra Thar really worth it?

I bought it thinking this could be a car which would live with me for life. Age well, and given that there are no electronics, would be easy to maintain. I got it delivered on 24th December 2015.

But then, I guess it is going to rust and fall apart much sooner that any other car in the market.

Here's my story:
Quote:
So, let's start with one fact. I love my car, at least I used to till these chain on incidents.

Mahindra claims that the Thar is the only lifestyle vehicle available in today's date which is the most capable off-roader one can buy. The brand undertakes multiple initiatives to promote the Thar & it's off-road capabilities which creates quite some buzz.

But let us clarify, this is not the only story about the Thar. The reality is far from ideal, and probably the worst experience for a car owner. The Mahindra Thar should be easily termed as loot, asking for almost INR 10 lakh on-road in Maharashtra. Seriously Mahindra, what are you offering for 10 lakh rupees? A rusting piece of metal? A steering wheel which is still not perfectly centre aligned for the driver? AC controls which are flimsy and break apart? No spare part availability at workshops? Does this justify the money spent? A 3 lakh rupee sub-standard hatchback has much better parts & service + parts support.

To clarify one more thing - My Thar is washed twice / thrice a week, with a wet cloth. And not completely soaked in water. Full wash is performed at 3M centres. The car has a full covered parking, and in the centre of the podium, o no rain water accumulation either. Also, this is my daily drive, so no issues of standing water on parts to result in rusting.

Here are the chain of events:
  • I wanted a front right headlamp & rear left tail lamp. This was unavailable for months. But later, I was informed parts will soon arrive. To my surprise, 99%, these parts which I got were picked up from a dealer display vehicle and were not new parts. So I had to pay full amount for technically second hand parts. I never received a bill with part numbers mentioned for this job. I accepted it at that time because as a frustrated customer, I finally was getting the parts needed. Also, during this job, they scratched my panel next to the headlamp.
  • Now to the event which is still ongoing. The Thar is made out of very poor & pathetic piece of metal. Even body shop mechanics accept that the Thar rusts. And it rusts much quicker than other cars. How quick? Well, my Thar is less than 2 years old and you can watch the video below to see the multiple rusting points.
  • My Thar is now parked at Salasar Mahindra body shop at Kothari compound Thane. First, in the last week of October 2017, I took my car for inspection at the service centre. Mr. Rane, the top official at the service centre mentioned that the car should be taken to the body shop for rusting issues. There was another Mahindra official present during this inspection. I happily accepted & went to the body shop.
  • At the body shop, I was only aware of the rusting on the front windscreen frame. However, the executives there highlighted rusting on doors, rear door, bonnet, side panel, hinges & canopy mounts. Now, how much metal does the Thar have? Very little right? And from that, you can see how many panels have started rusting.
  • I was then asked to take the car back, and bring it back once the part arrives. The executives claimed themselves that part availability for the Thar is very poor. Later, I was told after a week that the part would arrive. The first part which arrived from the plant was damaged. So I had to wait longer. On 1st November 2017, the windscreen frame finally arrived. On 3rd November, I dropped the car at Salasar Mahindra, and the windscreen frame was already painted. So I assumed that the work would begin ASAP. However, the frame still remains gathering dust on the stands, and even my Thar is parked to gather dust.
  • Till now, the body shop has only performed paint on the scratched part while fitting the headlamp.
  • I was committed by Mr. Amit from the body shop, that the rusted panels would be completely repainted for consistency. I was committed that the car would be ready to be delivered on 15th November. This was including buffer period of 2 extra days. Now, that commitment is gone down the drain, and the body shop tells me they will only spot touch up the rusted parts. So I have to make piece with inconsistent paint on the doors inside compared to outside. And on other panels as well.
  • Regardless of of the rusting spot, inside or outside, the panel should be painted completely for consistency. But that doesn't seem to make sense for Mahindra.

So the problem here is:
  1. Mahindra has no part availability for the Thar
  2. Mahindra uses poor metal parts all around on the Thar which are rusting
  3. Mahindra & the service centres are not competent enough to resolve problems
  4. False claims that the body is out of warranty for rusting. The car is not even 2 years old since delivered
  5. Commitment of painting the body is false, and only spot touch up being offered
  6. No update when the car will be ready to be delivered
  7. Body shop today informs they have problems with the contractor for paint job, so effectively they might have nobody to perform the job on the Thar

All this is the service for a car that costs INR 10 lakhs. And is less than 2 years old.

Mahindra, stop selling the Thar. It will save you time, and even the customers time & hassles. It might be a capable off-roaded, but what is the use if it rusts and falls apart? I really hope & wish some other brand builds something like the Thar. Things could be better then. All that history & legacy. Talking about how rooted the Thar is in the brands history. Pointless!

As a automobile journalist & as a customer, I am very happy that Jeep is finally in India. Mahindra can either learn to step up their game or continue to loose ground in the market and eventually be wiped out for such substandard cars & service.

https://Youtu.be/HbsrgS8ewzk

People Involved:
Mr. Rane - Mahindra Salasar Service Centre
Mr. Patil - Mahindra Salasar CEO
Mr. Amit - Mahindra Salasar Body shop (Yells at me on the phone, and says I will perform whatever work I feel is right. Claims I am not a customer slave)
Mr. Vaibhav - Mahindra Salasar Body shop
Mr. Swapnil - Mahindra Customer Care
Mr. Dugal - Mahindra Customer Care
Now, I might be asking for a bit too much from Mahindra. But the least I expected, was my Thar to remain rust free at least for 5 years of ownership.

#TrueStory - #SadStory

Last edited by parrys : 14th November 2017 at 22:19.
parrys is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 22:41   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Severe rusting issues in my Mahindra Thar

Absolutely agree with whatever you have written. My Thar also stays in a covered parking lot and is dusted every alternate day and washed once or twice a week, still it has started rusting in many places. Water started leaking from the windshield rubber due to rusting in the frame behind. More details can be found in this post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4297862

Parts availability is a huge problem and sometimes I think of tweeting to Anand Mahindra. Believe it or not I have registered recently on Twitter just for this. There was a time when I would wake up every morning thinking of writing about the horrible quality that Mahindra is giving us after charging so much. I have taken an oath never to buy a Mahindra again after owning 2 Mahindras. On top of that the service centre guys were horrible in Kolkata. They have recently improved under the new manager, but I am still very skeptical to give my car for servicing before a long trip. There is no guarantee that they would not mess up a few things.
BlackPearl is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 00:00   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post

...I guess it is going to rust and fall apart much sooner that any other car in the market.
Rust is indeed a perennial problem with the Thar. As a very recent owner of a rather sparingly used 5-year-old Thar, with the fortune of living far away from the coast, I can still see minor bits of rust creeping up in the nooks and crannies. But thankfully, unlike Generation Y owners and aspirers of the Thar, I grew up with cars that were proper rust buckets - the Ambassador, Padmini and Herald - and can forgive such minor rusting.

The Thar's tub rusts, but structurally it doesn't fall apart while being driven at 3-digit speeds (the NVH makes one's eardrums try to fall apart, that's a different issue). If, like me, one doesn't bother about gloss and perfection in the paintwork, the rust can largely be kept at bay (try that with a Padmini and one is bound to be left frustrated).

My bigger grouse about the Thar is how unsafe it is. Who sells a lifestyle vehicle in the world, without basic safety measures installed in it? Side-facing rear bench seats in a world where seat belts are mandatory? No option for forward-facing rear seats with proper 3-point belts? No ABS or airbags? No rollover protection (except the bar connecting the B-pillars, which may not be strong enough to take the weight of the vehicle in a rollover)? Lousy rear view mirrors, both IRVM and ORVMs? A handbrake that won't hold the car on a 10-degree incline, even when correctly adjusted and fitted? Brakes that need a hefty push on the pedal to stop the car from the high speeds it is capable of?

Well, since I didn't pay close to 10L INR for a new vehicle, I'm not complaining too much.
SS-Traveller is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 00:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Absolutely agree with whatever you have written. My Thar also stays in a covered parking lot and is dusted every alternate day and washed once or twice a week, still it has started rusting in many places. Water started leaking from the windshield rubber due to rusting in the frame behind. More details can be found in this post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4297862

Parts availability is a huge problem and sometimes I think of tweeting to Anand Mahindra. Believe it or not I have registered recently on Twitter just for this. There was a time when I would wake up every morning thinking of writing about the horrible quality that Mahindra is giving us after charging so much. I have taken an oath never to buy a Mahindra again after owning 2 Mahindras. On top of that the service centre guys were horrible in Kolkata. They have recently improved under the new manager, but I am still very skeptical to give my car for servicing before a long trip. There is no guarantee that they would not mess up a few things.
The problem I want to highlight is, as per 2017 standards, you (Mahindra) are selling a vehicle which offers nothing to justify Rs. 10 lakhs being asked. Later, a customer has to wait long, very long for parts to be delivered. And then, issues like these.

Even I have faced water leak issues, and nobody in the service centre could make out what the issue was. It was just dismissed saying 'Thar me leak hota hi hai sir'. Like really, am I supposed to live with a leaking 'lifestyle' vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Rust is indeed a perennial problem with the Thar. As a very recent owner of a rather sparingly used 5-year-old Thar, with the fortune of living far away from the coast, I can still see minor bits of rust creeping up in the nooks and crannies. But thankfully, unlike Generation Y owners and aspirers of the Thar, I grew up with cars that were proper rust buckets - the Ambassador, Padmini and Herald - and can forgive such minor rusting.

The Thar's tub rusts, but structurally it doesn't fall apart while being driven at 3-digit speeds (the NVH makes one's eardrums try to fall apart, that's a different issue). If, like me, one doesn't bother about gloss and perfection in the paintwork, the rust can largely be kept at bay (try that with a Padmini and one is bound to be left frustrated).

My bigger grouse about the Thar is how unsafe it is. Who sells a lifestyle vehicle in the world, without basic safety measures installed in it? Side-facing rear bench seats in a world where seat belts are mandatory? No option for forward-facing rear seats with proper 3-point belts? No ABS or airbags? No rollover protection (except the bar connecting the B-pillars, which may not be strong enough to take the weight of the vehicle in a rollover)? Lousy rear view mirrors, both IRVM and ORVMs? A handbrake that won't hold the car on a 10-degree incline, even when correctly adjusted and fitted? Brakes that need a hefty push on the pedal to stop the car from the high speeds it is capable of?

Well, since I didn't pay close to 10L INR for a new vehicle, I'm not complaining too much.
I agree with your point, that those who have lived with cars from a decade or two back, they are far more familiar with rusting. But these cars are sold in today's date. And spending a million rupees just so that the so called 'capable' SUV could just rust & the brand does nothing about is not acceptable to me.

I don't mind how crude the car is, NVH, rough edges, etc. I bought the Thar accepting all these flaws. But the body weakening with rust, a big NO NO for me.

How different is rust from cancer to a vehicle? It's just going to make things worse with passing time.
parrys is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 00:28   #5
BHPian

Fully agreeing with the stated points. When I was in the market for an enthusiasts car.
I TD'd the Thar, GT TSi, and the DMax.

The thar is the worst deal you get for the money, was fascinated by the car. But one test drive changed the entire point of view. The noise, suspension and the NVH. Coupled with bad ergonomics its a pointless vehicle.
The DMax is miles ahead and if the thar can sell for 10Lakh, I see no reason why Isuzu priced it at 15. Its worth the penny.
devilwearsprada is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 00:39   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't mind how crude the car is, NVH, rough edges, etc. I bought the Thar accepting all these flaws.
Safety is not a flaw - it is intentional penny-pinching and cost-cutting by a company that knows it can get away with it, given the lax laws of the country.

Take, for example, the XUV5OO that Mahindra sells in Australia. At about A$30,000 (15L INR) on-road, the XUV there comes with Isofix child restraints, 6 airbags, traction control + hill hold + hill descent control, electronic stability programme (ESP) + rollover mitigation. We don't even get 50% of that safety kit, for a price that's quite a bit higher. Australia wouldn't let Mahindra sell half-baked junk that they sell here! For that matter, the Ignis, Celerio and Brezza on sale in Australia are far better (read: safer) vehicles than any that MSIL sell in India - and the Aussie units are all produced not far from where I live! I wonder what kind of Thar they send across to South Africa, but I am guessing it isn't of as poor a quality as the ones sold here.

Quote:
But the body weakening with rust, a big NO NO for me.
How different is rust from cancer to a vehicle? It's just going to make things worse with passing time.
Ahh... cancer. Some of them aren't treatable at all, while rust can be treated and repaired at any time! Thankfully, my other Mahindra, the Scorpio, is rust-free after 8 years of reasonably heavy use.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 15th November 2017 at 00:40.
SS-Traveller is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 00:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Safety is not a flaw - it is intentional penny-pinching and cost-cutting by a company that knows it can get away with it, given the lax laws of the country.
Absolutely agree!

Thar has been a dream vehicle for me, but the lack of safety features have kept me away from it. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this category.

@Parrys Have you tried writing an email to Mahindra Customer Service? I along with a lot of others have had a positive experience with them in the past.

Hope things sort out for you!

Best,
Prashant
Paradiddle is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 01:28   #8
BHPian

Quote:

I bought it thinking this could be a car which would live with me for life. Age well, and given that there are no electronics, would be easy to maintain. I got it delivered on 24th December 2015.

But then, I guess it is going to rust and fall apart much sooner that any other car in the market.
Try tweeting this article to Mr. Anand Mahindra. I heard in our own forum and also on other forums that he is very responsive in twitter. Also don't we have corrosion warranty for Cars sold in India? I hope the manufacturer warranty of 3 years is still not over and it will cover corrosion as well.

Unavailability of spares for a Thar is something unacceptable that too in Mumbai (I hope you are staying in Thane). Did you try reaching out to another dealer in your city? Because in your post, you mentioned only one dealership name and its associates along with few Mahindra customer care folks name.
hema4saran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 01:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
Absolutely agree!

Thar has been a dream vehicle for me, but the lack of safety features have kept me away from it. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this category.

@Parrys Have you tried writing an email to Mahindra Customer Service? I along with a lot of others have had a positive experience with them in the past.

Hope things sort out for you!

Best,
Prashant
Well, I've had the customer service executive handling the western region come down to the body shop and supervise why the work on my Thar (forget completion & shoddy job) wasn't even started 2 days before the committed delivery date.

While the body shop manager had promised be a complete repaint of panels affected with rust after having treated it in the best way possible, the customer service guy, Mr. Swapnil, only tried to console me by saying what the body shop manager committed was inappropriate, and I am only going to get spot paint touch ups. So apparently, as per them, spot paint touch ups won't peel off in the long run and won't look inconsistent in their books.

Can't really ask a blind man to drive you home safely can you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
Fully agreeing with the stated points. When I was in the market for an enthusiasts car.
I TD'd the Thar, GT TSi, and the DMax.

The thar is the worst deal you get for the money, was fascinated by the car. But one test drive changed the entire point of view. The noise, suspension and the NVH. Coupled with bad ergonomics its a pointless vehicle.
The DMax is miles ahead and if the thar can sell for 10Lakh, I see no reason why Isuzu priced it at 15. Its worth the penny.
At times I do regret not waiting a little longer and going for the V-Cross. But then, Isuzu. Where are they? I've not seen a single dealership around Mumbai (I've not looked up on the map either). No doub't the Isuzu would be far more reliable & is visibly more superior in quality at least to the Mahindra Thar.

Last edited by GTO : 15th November 2017 at 10:21. Reason: Merging back to back posts
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 03:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for starting the thread. When Thar was launched we did plan on selling our 540 and getting it. The local mechanic did mention the body panels not being upto even his standard of thickness and asked us to stay away.

After owning three Mahindras in our family, not having parts is a usual deal there. We did plan on buying the Mahindra LCV in the 90s and all owners just asked to stay away due to spare parts never being around. I guess by tweeting to Mr AM you may resolve your issue, but the culture of the company may not change. Pretty sad when everyone wants an indian company to prosper.

In 2017 we do not get basic safety features even as an option says a lot!

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 05:27   #11
KMT
BHPian

Well the new Scorpio S11 4X4 is priced @ at Rs20.10 L OTR in Bangalore. How can one sleep at night after paying 20+ big ones for a Scorpio?

I guess there are buyers at this price for Mahindra products!!

BTW I have a Thar and a Scorp Getaway, both are definitely not 'worth' their MRP but you hardly have any alternatives.
KMT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 10:28   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Severe rusting issues in my Mahindra Thar

Sorry to hear about your experience, Parry. But I'm not surprised.

The Thar is built in the 'old Mahindra style' at Nashik (not the 'new Mahindra' at Chakan). The issues with fit, finish, rust etc. were also seen in my Jeep in 1997, and it's disappointing that Mahindra is selling a 10-lakh Jeep today with such poor quality standards. In fact, we had highlighted a lot of these issues in our official review back in 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
What you won't:

• Cheap, appalling interior quality. Fit, finish and rough edges are a let down
The 30-year old Gypsy offers a more precise build. But the truth is, the Thar is a 'jugaad' product and its ownership entails the usual niggles, problems, squeaks, rattles, rust and more. It's like any other old school Mahindra Jeep in that sense. Thar ownership isn't for everyone. Equally, I might add that I still love the Thar and there's nothing quite like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
Thar has been a dream vehicle for me, but the lack of safety features have kept me away from it.
You can add 10 airbags to the Thar, but it still won't be a 'safe' vehicle. The Thar is made out of a mishmash of parts from the Mahindra parts bin.

Last edited by GTO : 15th November 2017 at 15:34.
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 10:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But the fact is, the Thar is a 'jugaad' product and its ownership entails the usual niggles, problems, squeaks, rattles, rust and more. It's like any other old school Mahindra Jeep in that sense. Thar ownership isn't for everyone. Equally, I might add that I still love the Thar and there's nothing quite like it.
This does not bode well for a company which has global ambition. Why create a "jugged" product and sell it in the market when you know it is going to a nightmare to own and maintain both for the manufacturer and more importantly the customer. I love the Thar thinking what a product this can be but I would not put my money on it.

Look at Jeep Wrangler. That is how you do traditional, modern and life-style altogether.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 11:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

I think both Thar and RE bullet use the same sheet metal and paint shop. Hence the rust bucket look. May be they should supply a 5 liter can of wd40 for free with each car.
Jokes apart, as a marketing guru said, he could sell any car as long as it looked gorgeous. How right of him!!
apachelongbow is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 12:33   #15
BHPian

I was planning to buy a Thar last year. Then I found out the price, lack of safety features and an abysmal 1 year warranty.
I was reminded of my ownership experience of an MM540 and thought it would better to spend 1.5 times on a Vcross.
Alfresco is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed