Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2018, 15:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Long-term reliability of Hyundai's diesel engines

Context:
I decided to start this thread based on a specific ask from a cousin of mine who owns a 2012 Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDi SX which has clocked about 67,000 kms. So far his ownership has been niggle free except for the soft suspension issue of the older Fluidic Vernas.

Question
Given that the ODO is at 67,000 kms, he is wondering how much longer he can keep the car for safely in terms of engine life for the 1.6 CRDi Engine of the Fluidic Verna

Other Inputs
I did some searching on TeamBHP and found a huge number of threads where owners are claiming that the Fiat sourced DDIS having done 2,00,000 kms easily on the Swift. Multiple such threads are easily available on team bhp. However, I could not locate similar data points for the Hyundai 1.6 CRDi engine but I did locate a few long term ownerships for the older Verna prior to the Fluidic.

Even outside the forums, when we enquire in workshops and pre-owned car outlets, the general response is:
"Saar Hyundai diesels will develop problems after 80K and generally last only till 1 lakh". The same guys will vouch and claim that the Honda Engines or the Fiat engines will easily last 2 lakh plus kms easily...

The intent of this post is to generate some proof points from the TeamBHP community to understand the reality and collect factual data points rather than go by perception.

Requesting the long term owners of the Fluidic Verna to post their experiences more and inputs from the owners of other Hyundai diesels are also welcome.

Disclaimer: This is NOT a Hyundai bashing post.
MODS: If this post needs to be moved elsewhere please do so.
vsrivatsa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 16:13   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Long-term reliability of Hyundai's diesel engines

Diesel engines in general are pretty robust. There should be no reason for a well maintained Hyundai diesel to give up at 1lakh km. Engine life is a function of how well it is maintained. Ensure regular servicing is done on time, and the engine will outlive the rest of the car.

If you don't change oil and filters periodically or if you let the engine overheat, even the most reputed and reliable diesel engines will give up in not much time.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 16:15   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

Question
Given that the ODO is at 67,000 kms, he is wondering how much longer he can keep the car for safely in terms of engine life for the 1.6 CRDi Engine of the Fluidic Verna
The lifeline of any engine is oil. IMO, any car engine which is not inherently faulty by design will easily run for ~1.5L kms (reliable ones till 3-5L), "IF" taken care properly. Note, there is too much importance for "IF". One skipped oil change will reduce the life of the engine drastically.

Also, going forward, for your cousin, I'd suggest making oil change intervals sooner. Basically, ensure oil quality is always good. Another thing you need to take care is the turbo. Which I reckon might need a rebuild after 1L kms.

Other things that "might" go wrong with the engine are the Injectors, HP Pump etc.. Which are subject to luck and part quality.

BUT.. please note that engine is only one part of the car. There are lot more things to a car nowadays which will give you a headache. You need to see if those are in OK condition for making the decision of selling the car or keeping it. The logic of "engine and gearbox" lasts a lifetime and hence the car is not true. You can easily spend a lot of money repairing the other parts too.
dhanushs is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 17:01   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I know a friend who has a Fluidic Verna and has done well over 1.3 lakhs kms. Regular maintenance and oil changes is keeping it going. So I do not see any reason for concern at this point of time unless there are any other tell tale signs of any issues with the engine.
nkrishnap is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 17:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Context:
Even outside the forums, when we enquire in workshops and pre-owned car outlets, the general response is:
"Saar Hyundai diesels will develop problems after 80K and generally last only till 1 lakh". The same guys will vouch and claim that the Honda Engines or the Fiat engines will easily last 2 lakh plus kms easily...
I am sure they might be referring to the 1.5L 3-cyl CRDi engine present in the old Accent. This one had a loong history of issues, particularly after 80-90K. Regarding the 1.6 CRDI in the Fluidic verna, I have 3 friends who own 2011 and 2012 model ones, with a running of 1.25-1.5 lakh KMs and they haven't reported any issues, barring the odd soggy suspension.

If you search anywhere in this forum you will find plenty of threads with Accent/ Viva CRDi problems.

Bottomline, rest easy!
MalluDude is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 17:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

My Father-in-law had clocked 1.8 Lakhs on his Verna, without any engine issues before selling it. He has racked up serious mileage on his Creta diesel too without any issues.
As per my experience modern diesels (Hyundai included) can last easily for 2 lakh Kms without major issues.
abhishek46 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 23:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

As pointed out by Bhpian Malludude it is the older 1.5L 3-cylinder diesel engine from Hyundai which had problems. Although there are few examples I know of the Accent Viva CRDi which have done well over 1.5L kms. I haven't heard of any problems with the 1.4L/1.6L CRDi engines doing the duty on Verna/i20.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 23:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

While we are talking about diesel Hyundai, Can we say the same reliability about the petrol 1.6 engines as well ? I can't find much on petrol version as well on our forum.

Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 08:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

I have a close family member who owns a Verna 1.6 Diesel manual who has clocked 1.2 lakh and counting. Theirs is a 2012 Verna as well.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 08:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2008 Verna CRDI which has clocked 1.4 lakh kms and going without a hitch. Last year it developed a problem with stalling at lower revs. Got a full engine scan done. It was revealed that the stalling was due to one clogged injector with poor quality fuel, a problem 3 tanks of additives quickly rectified. What was a bigger reveal, was that EVERY other parameter was running the same as a new engine!

Follow the 1 minute idle on cold start and before switching off. Get servicing done in time and use recommended (or better) grade engine oil. Clean the EGR valve on every second service. No black art, just common sense. The engine will run for decades.

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 12th January 2018 at 08:53. Reason: Added information
predatorwheelz is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 09:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Check the odo figure in the last post of this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3561774

This was in a 2008 Getz Crdi engine. I would think Hyundai's engines must have gotten only better over time since then.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 12th January 2018 at 09:08.
comfortablynumb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 09:15   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Our 2010 i20 1.4 CRDi has completed 1.1 Lakh kms and is going strong without any issues on the engine and transmission side. The engine still pulls like as it did on day one. Vibrations are a tad on the higher side during idle which is suspect is because of the worn out engine mounts. I am using Mobil Devlac 1 fully synthetic oil since the odo was 30K kms and change it every year/15K kms with a oil filter change at the mid year mark. Every 5K kms once i add a can of liqui moly diesel injector cleaner and it helps ensure that the injectors do not get clogged. Fuel filter is changed every year or 15K kms once. Air filter is replaced every 7.5K kms. In turbo diesels, a clogged air filter can do more damage to the turbo than a old oil.

Like dhanush said engine oil is the life line. If you ensure that the engine oil is changed at the right interval and good quality oil is used , diesel engines will last a long long time.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 12th January 2018 at 09:16.
sagarpadaki is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 09:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

As long as you are getting your oil changes etc done at a trusty place, you should be good for lacs of kms. This is a generic rule for almost all cars.
May the goddess of luck be with him and other car owners at TBHP
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 10:32   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I haven't come across issues reported from recent Hyundai Diesels and the best testimony would be to check out the ODO readings of OLA and Uber cabs, especially Xcents which I am sure by now since inception would have clocked some serious mileage!
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 11:23   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Long-term reliability of Hyundai's diesel engines

My answer would be "they'll last as long as a diesel engine of any other manufacturer". What's key is sticking to the scheduled service intervals and getting the work done properly (especially the oil changes). For ANY engine, timely oil changes are critical to longevity.

Would also recommend the turbo-idling rule - link.

Hyundai diesels earlier had a bad name, thanks to the numerous issues with the Accent's triple-cylinder diesel. But then, it was Hyundai's first CRDi engine, and also the first CRDi engine in the mass market (only car with common-rail diesels before that in India was the Mercedes E-Class). Tata's first common-rail diesel was plagued with issues too. Toyota did a smart thing by restricting the power output in favour of long-term reliability in the last-gen Innova. Maruti didn't face any such issues as they cut-copied-pasted a Fiat engine, and neither did Honda due to their very late entry in the diesel scene.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks