Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2006, 10:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The Civic speedo placement is the best of the lot...

Doesnt have to take the eye off that far from the road... To see the speed... Not like the cars in which you have to look under the steering wheel...

And if that is causing accidents...
Was talking about the surrounding auto public, not the civic driver.
Old 15th December 2006, 12:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
I tend to agree with Naveen on the distraction part. The other day, I had stopped in a jam and a civic came to a stop on my left. I saw the large display showing zero. As we started moving, its display suddenly changed from 0 to 8 then to 3 and then to 13 and then back to 0- you can understand it was slow moving traffic. But I am so used to the needle going up and then slowly turning back to zero, that this was baffling.
In your own car, it might initially force you to try and make your driving style more smooth.
it is more likely to cause distractions to other road users than the driver himself. it happened to me too. there was this new pulsar & my curiosity made me to peer onto his speedo several times & trying to catch up with him on my K.Honda.
Old 15th December 2006, 14:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Doesnt have to take the eye off that far from the road... To see the speed... Not like the cars in which you have to look under the steering wheel...

That reminds me of the NISSAN 240 SX that featured a Head-Up-Display (HUD), the device you find in modern fighter planes whereby the speed and other important info is displayed on the windscreen itself, so that you don't have to take your eyes off the road (or the sky)! Not only that, the display image is focussed at infinity (at least in fighter planes) so that you don't even have to alter the focal length of your eye lenses while reading the information.

I think NISSAN Infiniti also came equipped with HUD. I remember reading an Infiniti ad once, mentioning the HUD feature.

Here are the suggested web links for more info:

Nissan 240SX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Head-up display - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers!

Last edited by directinjection : 15th December 2006 at 14:48.
Old 15th December 2006, 14:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR

Was talking about the surrounding auto public, not the civic driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
it is more likely to cause distractions to other road users than the driver himself. it happened to me too. there was this new pulsar & my curiosity made me to peer onto his speedo several times & trying to catch up with him on my K.Honda.

Very true. But luckily for me, I have always had this habit of looking all around, at cars, at occupants at digital speedos.
In fact I did bump into the car in front once, but that was because I was too eager to prevent the guy in the next lane from cutting across in front of me. Thankfully no damage was done.
Old 15th December 2006, 22:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

I haven't touched above 120 on my safari and then didn't think about the speed shown on the GPS. wILL KEEP THIS IN MY MIND THE NEXT TIME I hit the bar above 120.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I think the GPS would be....just curious, let me know what the GPS says if/when your speedo shows 130-140?
Old 15th December 2006, 22:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

The first time I saw that on a civic its sppedo was showing 24 and the temp gauge in my car was showing the same..!!! I nearly fell for that "temp gauge " in the civic. Then after some time I again pulled on its side and this time I saw the speedo showing 45. Was very baffled.

it kept on bothering me for days till I had a chance to drive the civic of my friend. Then I came to know that ti was a speedometer. Fell in love with that gadget..

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
I tend to agree with Naveen on the distraction part. The other day, I had stopped in a jam and a civic came to a stop on my left. I saw the large display showing zero. As we started moving, its display suddenly changed from 0 to 8 then to 3 and then to 13 and then back to 0- you can understand it was slow moving traffic. But I am so used to the needle going up and then slowly turning back to zero, that this was baffling.
In your own car, it might initially force you to try and make your driving style more smooth.
Old 16th December 2006, 00:23   #22
BHPian

Personal choice I would say. There was an era when people were fascinated with digital watches. Then came back the dial based ones. This or that will not make any material difference.
It will definitely make a difference to car makers as they have more parameters to play around with and advertise. Personally, I prefer dials (in watches as well)
Old 16th December 2006, 09:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

All said and done the digital things dont have the charm of watching a either a tacho needle or a speedo needle going up and down.
Old 18th December 2006, 06:13   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
All said and done the digital things dont have the charm of watching a either a tacho needle or a speedo needle going up and down.
But Digital Speedos are known to be more accurate than the analog ones and zero chances of speedometer inner cable breaking up !!!

Last edited by mithun : 18th December 2006 at 06:15.
Old 18th December 2006, 08:52   #25
BHPian

The speedo on the Pulsar is accurate to +-3 kmph. The law requires the speedos to over read by 10% on cars and bikes. This is why speedos over read. A true 60 would be around 66-67 on a speedo. A digital speedo is more accurate because its contact less. It runs on a sensor.

They might be a distraction at the beginning but as you get used to it, it stops being a distraction. Lots of cars and bikes have digial speedos. Its only new in India.
Old 18th December 2006, 11:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Does accuracy really matter in city driving in India? I guess not. Accurate speeds are required for racing purposes. More over like Yusha has already mentioned they have to over read by 10%. So what's the point.
Old 18th December 2006, 17:35   #27
BHPian

Can somebody please explain here as to how contact less sensor used in the pulsar differs from the magnet based speedo cable system .What does the sensor take as input as compared to the magnet which I think produces current by electromagnetic induction which passes through the wire hence the reading on the speedo.So how is there an error induced here?
Old 19th December 2006, 15:27   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
seriously man.. u cant have the charm of keepin a rev meter a speedometer and some other analogue gauges in the car.. looks damn cool...
Old 19th December 2006, 19:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
Can somebody please explain here as to how contact less sensor used in the pulsar differs from the magnet based speedo cable system .What does the sensor take as input as compared to the magnet which I think produces current by electromagnetic induction which passes through the wire hence the reading on the speedo.So how is there an error induced here?
Method Number one: The contact less sensor based system works on a small beam of light which is focused onto a geared wheel. The count is taken on the number of times the beam is broken by the teeth of the gear.

Method Number Two: The beam is focused onto a reflective surface like a radium sticker. Again the count is the number of times the beam is reflected back.
Old 22nd December 2006, 20:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

Yusha, going by your statement, shall digress a bit from the topic. Just ineterested to know if the speedos over read then the Police guns that measure speed and penalise vehicles, are accurate or do they over read as well?

coz, recently I was doing 70kmph on my Scorpio and was caught by the traffic cops. Was challaned for doing 70 ina 55 Kmph zone. Their gun recorded me doing 70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusha View Post
The speedo on the Pulsar is accurate to +-3 kmph. The law requires the speedos to over read by 10% on cars and bikes. This is why speedos over read. A true 60 would be around 66-67 on a speedo. A digital speedo is more accurate because its contact less. It runs on a sensor.

Most Viewed