Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2018, 13:17   #16
kkg
BHPian

Re: Ford 1.4L TDCI: Injector Failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
If Ford could do a recall for "high pressure power assisted steering hose" for cars made from 2004-2012 in 2017 , having a recall for injector issues isn't difficult for them too ! Why they aren't doing it is best known to them !
Changing a hose is way way cheaper than changing injectors. This is the only reason I can think of why Ford is silent on this issue.
kkg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 13:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Probably because warranty is over and from Fords perspective, there is nothing much the customer can do without losing more time and money !

After all this I am not very convinced now about the the Ford Surprisingly Affordable campaign https://www.india.ford.com/surprisingly-affordable/
This is ridiculous at the very least that a product out of warranty does is not entitled for manufacturing defect / use of sub-standard component based recall. Ford knows that the part is giving up before its expected useful life.

Market is filled with examples of recalls for all sorts of issues probably leaving none of the players for batches of cars which are on roads for even close to 10 years.

A company needs to own up, which Ford has not done for injectors used in Figo / Fiesta as well as for its DCT which they have silently replaced with old school TC in the new EcoSport.

This reflects badly on a brand which otherwise claims of its manufacturing practices and product quality.

Last edited by i74js : 5th March 2018 at 13:50.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 13:57   #18
BHPian

I knew about this issue and I think my car is also started signalling injector issues. It's 70k kms run 2010 make Figo Diesel. The car takes a bit longer to start, idles a bit erratically and the loudness levels have doubled.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 16:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
I knew about this issue and I think my car is also started signalling injector issues. It's 70k kms run 2010 make Figo Diesel. The car takes a bit longer to start, idles a bit erratically and the loudness levels have doubled.
From that point it would probably be another 20k kms at most before you get the dreaded flashing gear icon!
techn0l0gist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 16:51   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
My story-

I bought a 2011 35k run Ford Figo in December 2016. Everything was ok except the car would stall when downshifting and driven spiritedly at the same time. Also the car exhaust would smell of unburnt fuel. I knew the cause as my BIL had the same in his 2012 Figo which eventually got rectified by software update.

But I was not so lucky...

If anyone is willing/capable of taking it against Ford legally I am all for it.
You have summed it up nicely. My 2013 Figo TDCi was diagnosed with this problem when it had 18k on the ODO. There was noticeable change in the drive where it would stall when crossing speed breakers and there was also a noticeable change in the drive. The Ford ASC diagnosed this an injector issue, recommending replacement. I was quoted a figure of around 16-18k for this.
I checked with my FNG and the guy said he would be able to fix it. He did it for a lot less. I have been noticing the same ugly rearing its head over the past week. I will visit the FNG over the next couple of days. Lets see what comes of it.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th March 2018 at 00:56. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
Old 5th March 2018, 17:07   #21
kkg
BHPian

In my Figo's first scanning I was told only one of the four injectors was overflowing thus leading to unburnt diesel fumes smell and low average. They also told me that they can get it repaired from a workshop in Chandigarh where they usually send it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
I checked with my FNG and the guy said he would be able to fix it. He did it for a lot less. I have been noticing the same ugly rearing its head over the past week. I will visit the FNG over the next couple of days. Lets see what comes of it.

I also researched and found a Bosch service center in Sanjay Gandhi transport Nagar that said either thay can repair my injector or I can get a refurbished one for 3.5-4k.

Can you tell us from where did you get it done, what was done actually,for how much and how successful it was? May be it can benefit us all.
Old 5th March 2018, 17:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
From that point it would probably be another 20k kms at most before you get the dreaded flashing gear icon!
I used to get the flashing gear icon in 2014 at about 37k kms. The engine went into limp mode and used to become sluggish. The mechanic suggested egr cleaning and post that the nvh levels came down a bit and didn't got that flashing again.

I have talked to a local mechanic and he said he will look into it. I guess taking a preventive action is better than facing serious issues.
Old 5th March 2018, 18:01   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
What are the symptoms? I have a 2010 Figo which is run 1.23 lakh kms. I have not had any problems yet.
I drive a 2011 June Figo TDCi which has clocked 1.44 lakh kms so far. Luckily no injector issues so far. But the smell of unburnt fuel is there for a long time now. May be early signs ? God knows.
Old 5th March 2018, 18:34   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
In my Figo's first scanning I was told only one of the four injectors was overflowing thus leading to unburnt diesel fumes smell and low average. They also told me that they can get it repaired from a workshop in Chandigarh where they usually send it.

I also researched and found a Bosch service center in Sanjay Gandhi transport Nagar that said either thay can repair my injector or I can get a refurbished one for 3.5-4k.

Can you tell us from where did you get it done, what was done actually,for how much and how successful it was? May be it can benefit us all.
I do not remember how much he charged me exactly but it would be around 5k AFAIR.
The FNG i was referring to is located in Sector 65, Noida. You can get in touch with the guy, his name is Raj (9818859757). His place is closed on Mondays.
Old 6th March 2018, 00:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

Ford 1.4L TDCI: Injector Failures-2e56be11afcb430ca841eabc85eafe08.jpeg

A friend of mine from Delhi has been facing this issue, his car has run 112k kms or more and has been following it up for quite some time with Ford service center. I forwarded this link to him and he was convinced its the exact same problem with his car too.

Attaching his reply !

Too bad, it almost looks like Ford knew about it all and waited for the cars to go out of warranty. I could go to the length to call them a bunch of scamsters !

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th March 2018 at 00:55. Reason: Typo
NiInJa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 12:24   #26
BHPian

I faced the same problem after clocking 45000km on my Figo.
The Ford people said 2 injectors need to be replaced. They conveniently said bad fuel quality is the culprit. Took the car to a Knowledgeable FNG.Didnt go for repair or refurbishment route. Procured 2 oem injectors At ₹9000 a piece.
The best part only 1 injector was faulty. So much so for Ford diagnosis.
If anyone needs it please contact me.
The MYTH that fords are comparable to Maruti in ownership costs has been dispelled at least in my mind.
greendream is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 13:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendream View Post
The Ford people said 2 injectors need to be replaced. They conveniently said bad fuel quality is the culprit. Took the car to a Knowledgeable FNG.Didnt go for repair or refurbishment route. Procured 2 oem injectors At ₹9000 a piece.
The best part only 1 injector was faulty. So much so for Ford diagnosis.
If anyone needs it please contact me.
The MYTH that fords are comparable to Maruti in ownership costs has been dispelled at least in my mind.
Where did you procure those injectors from? Are they genuine Ford-recommended?
Old 6th March 2018, 13:59   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendream View Post
The best part only 1 injector was faulty. So much so for Ford diagnosis..
After this change did you felt any difference in drive and nvh? Are the injectors oem continental?
Old 7th March 2018, 21:06   #29
BHPian

Sorry for the delayed replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Where did you procure those injectors from? Are they genuine Ford-recommended?
Procured them from a imported spares distributor in Hyderabad. They are genuine Siemens/Continental injectors used by ford.. Siemens injector division was taken over by Continental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
After this change did you felt any difference in drive and nvh? Are the injectors oem continental?
No difference at all. Injectors are Oem.
greendream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 21:14   #30
BHPian

I too had an injector issue in my now sold Ford Figo (2012 model). This was in the year 2014 when we started facing severe stalling issues. The fuel was not a culprit for sure, we tanked up at a COCO outlet.

There were times at high speed if we needed to slow down and knock down a gear the car used to stall. Once stalled the steering lost power and became stiff and as Figo owners know one would have to switch the key off and then switch it on to hit the starter again. It was a nightmare for 4-6 months with Ford finding no solution.

Every time we brought up the issue at the ASC they kept the car for a day and served it up the next day saying 'its okay now'. And one day they say there is a problem in the injector and we will replace it under warranty (we had taken the extended warranty too). End of the day they said nothing needed to be done and its fine now and the problem did vanish for a long long time.

It didn't stall since and till the day I sold the car in 2018.

Most Viewed