Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2013, 14:26   #76
BHPian

Re: Why does engine Oil go Black immediately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post

noel, this seems to be very risky. Is there any way to ensure that the engine won't fire up?

Agree with blackfire 100% on this. Noel - This in my point of view should not be tried at all. Even 5 seconds without or very less oil can take away many millionths of an mm to make your engine go bad. On a car with hydraulic lifters do not attempt this at all.
Old 10th August 2021, 07:28   #77
BHPian

Waking up this old thread.

Got my diesel Figo's engine oil changed yesterday - car was not used for last few months (in fact not run more than 2k km in last two years, thanks to the lockdown). I usually use it for long distance trips covering 500-1000km each time we head out.

The oil on the dip stick was dark (was wiped and checked) immediately after changing the oil, without even starting the engine (to assume oil got circulated n hence dark). The engine was hot enough (drove 3 km to the local garage) & the entire old oil was drained out in front of me.

Been using Motul 4100 power 5w30 grade - last time as well as this time (bought from Amazon / Cloudtail, so presume it is not duplicate).

I may be exaggerating the "dark" color, but I was expecting to see a much cleaner oil on the dipstick since it was just poured in. Didn't think much at that moment, but it's bugging me since last night & hence this question.

What should I read out from this? Should I be worried? Can the injectors get choked? Any other issues that can come up?

Also, should I go for a decarb? Run for another long trip and replace the oil again and check? Any other checks? solutions?

PS: It is a 2013 Figo TDCi model (1st gen, but the newer one where conti injectors were not used if I am right?), run around 37k kms till date. Usually don't use any fuel additives. Had used them a couple of times a while ago.
Old 10th August 2021, 09:02   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post

The oil on the dip stick was dark (was wiped and checked) immediately after changing the oil, without even starting the engine (to assume oil got circulated n hence dark). The engine was hot enough (drove 3 km to the local garage) & the entire old oil was drained out in front of me.
In a diesel it will turn black rather quickly, this is normal. As long as you are changing it as per OEM recommendations, that's good enough.

Hope there is naoa excessive black smoke out of the tail pipe, that will contribute to a lot of soot in the oil.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 18:27   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
In a diesel it will turn black rather quickly, this is normal. As long as you are changing it as per OEM recommendations, that's good enough.

Hope there is naoa excessive black smoke out of the tail pipe, that will contribute to a lot of soot in the oil.
Well, I agree about it going dark very quickly on usage, but I am talking about its dark color immediately after changing the oil without letting it circulate through the engine (by cranking or starting the engine). Hence this question.

I dont think there is any black smoke. Atleast not that I have observed. Will keep an eye on it. Anything to suspect in the exhaust line for this excessive soot in the engine?
Old 10th August 2021, 18:35   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I agree about it going dark very quickly on usage, but I am talking about its dark color immediately after changing the oil without letting it circulate through the engine (by cranking or starting the engine). Hence this question.

I dont think there is any black smoke. Atleast not that I have observed. Will keep an eye on it. Anything to suspect in the exhaust line for this excessive soot in the engine?
Some amount of old oil will remain and will make the new oil black in appearance immediately. Sometimes it's a dirty air filter that can make the exhaust smoky, you may need to follow your own vehicle while being driven to see it - under some load. If everything is already checked out you can ignore it. Just change the oil at regular intervals and you should be alright.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 19:22   #81
BANNED

Quote:
The oil on the dipstick was dark (was wiped and checked) immediately after changing the oil, without even starting the engine (to assume oil got circulated n hence dark). The engine was hot enough (drove 3 km to the local garage) & the entire old oil was drained out in front of me.
Don't worry it is normal. All the quantity never gets drained out unless you open the oil pan and the engine. Some old oil remains in the galleries, near the valve train which gets mixed with new oil and gives the appearance of 'darkness' just after an oil change.

For example, my Hyundai Creta 1.6L CRDi has instructions to fill 5.3L oil quantity with oil filter change during regular servicing. The total engine oil capacity is 5.7L hence roughly 400ml remains in the engine during the regular draining process.

Apart from the above, soot from EGR also adds to the black colour of the oil.

Quote:
Also, should I go for a decarb? Run for another long trip and replace the oil again and check? Any other checks? solutions?
Not required. Timely oil and oil filter changes ensure the internals are healthy. If you feel the engine is sluggish, add diesel additives and go for a drive.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks