Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2018, 09:59   #1

Replacement battery for Maruti's SHVS cars?

Any of the Ciaz hybrid (SHVS) owners tried replacing their battery? - EXIDE CONSERVO (DIN70(ISS))

My SHVS had stopped working with the Auto-Stop light orange blink. MASS tested and gave a report to replace battery. But I am not able to find this particular rated battery anywhere with the service centers. MASS doesn't have any idea of this hybrid battery either.
Called up Exide care and they seem to think it is discontinued now.
A local dealer suggested a non-branded DIN 74

Any suggestion on an alternative?
Old 28th May 2018, 18:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Replacement battery for Maruti's SHVS cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanveerahmed View Post
Any of the Ciaz hybrid (SHVS) owners tried replacing their battery? - EXIDE CONSERVO (DIN70(ISS))
The Exide Conservo 70 Din was specially developed for MSIL mild hybrid vehicles (SHVS). I don't think you will be able to find an alternative. For the SHVS system to work, you will need this battery alone. I'm not sure if a regular battery can be used - if it works I'm certain it will disable the SHVS system.

Did you try at the exidecare.com website. I don't think that it is discontinued as the same is used in new Ertiga, Ciaz and S-Cross diesel models.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 19:02   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

What's the difference between this "Conservo" battery and normal ones?
Old 28th May 2018, 19:21   #4
Team-BHP Support

I think any equivalent battery of the same DIN should work. However, in case you are specifically looking for Exide Conservo, I just confirmed on the Exide website and they are very much willing to sell that battery to you in Hyderabad for Rs.8965. Otherwise you can use any 65AH to 70AH battery and the prices should start around Rs.5000.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 21:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
The Exide Conservo 70 Din was specially developed for MSIL mild hybrid vehicles (SHVS). I don't think you will be able to find an alternative. For the SHVS system to work, you will need this battery alone. I'm not sure if a regular battery can be used - if it works I'm certain it will disable the SHVS system.

Did you try at the exidecare.com website. I don't think that it is discontinued as the same is used in new Ertiga, Ciaz and S-Cross diesel models.
I called up the exide customer care. First he said its discontinued. Then I told it is the only battery for Maruti Hybrids. He checked the website and said "yes it is designed for Maruti but I will need to find a distributor who has stock and call you back" no call back yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I think any equivalent battery of the same DIN should work. However, in case you are specifically looking for Exide Conservo, I just confirmed on the Exide website and they are very much willing to sell that battery to you in Hyderabad for Rs.8965. Otherwise you can use any 65AH to 70AH battery and the prices should start around Rs.5000.
The website shows the model and price but they don't have stock and a call back requested 2 weeks back with email as well. No response from exide on that. Today called the customer care. Response added to previous reply post

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
What's the difference between this "Conservo" battery and normal ones?
Conservo is specifically designed for the ISS. Integrated Start Stop system of SHVS cars of Maruti.
Its very strange the exide care stores and MASS in hyderabad have no knowledge of this battery at all. I need to give them some information on it myself.

Last edited by GTO : 29th May 2018 at 10:18. Reason: Merging back to back posts
tanveerahmed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 23:16   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Conservo is specifically designed for the ISS. Integrated Start Stop system of SHVS cars of Maruti.
Its very strange the exide care stores and MASS in hyderabad have no knowledge of this battery at all. I need to give them some information on it myself.
Yes, I understand that it may be different. But in what way? Design? Materials?

Something proprietary? Which I highly doubt.

It looks to be a standard flooded lead acid battery to me. If you check battery bhai dot com the battery suggestions for the Ciaz hybrid are all normal LA batteries.

Makes me think it just a branding exercise to make people spend extra on their replacements via authorised dealers.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 23:21   #7
BHPian

Maruti's system may be different, but just in case it helps, Mahindra's start stop system also does not work on a slightly discharged battery. I read in the XUVs manual that Mahindra's system detects a not-so-healthy-battery by its voltage (I don't recall the exact value now).

IF Maruti also follows the same, then any battery of the same rating should work. Would suggest to try it out at a battery shop on the condition that you would buy it only if your start stop system works.
deep_bang is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 10:21   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Replacement battery for Maruti's SHVS cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
you would buy it only if your start stop system works.
Owners like me would prefer that the idling start / stop system doesn't work. I've disabled it on my car and do the same to every Team-BHP testdrive car that comes in .
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 11:11   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I read in the XUVs manual that Mahindra's system detects a not-so-healthy-battery by its voltage (I don't recall the exact value now).
You are right... The system detects and decides on whether to activate the start-stop mechanism. In old batteries at times it does not work when there is already too much load. However, it is always better to keep that system switched off. On our roads the car switches off and on 100s of times and long term negative impacts (on the life of the starter motor, battery... possibly even the turbo?!!) are far too grave when compared to some miniscule benefits.
Quote:
IF Maruti also follows the same, then any battery of the same rating should work. Would suggest to try it out at a battery shop on the condition that you would buy it only if your start stop system works.
Whatever Maruti may do I know one thing for sure. It is just NOT possible for that the car will detect a battery other than Conservo and refuse to activate the SHVS system. I would have understood if it would have had a different type of battery or a very high AH rating etc. that could withstand specific situation in a SHVS system better than normal batteries. Here the Conservo is a plain and simple Lead Acid battery of 70 AH rating (ok, its a little high AH rating for a midsize sedan, that's all).

Quote:

IMHO, you are thinking too much. Go ahead and use any regular battery of similar AH rating. In fact, another way of looking at it is, at half the price of a Conservo you can afford to change the battery twice in the equivalent life span of a Conservo battery.

Let me give you another thought. Are you the first guy in entire Hyderabad who is going to change his SHVS car's battery? If your answer is No then ask yourself how the others would have changed their batteries. If the battery is simply not available do you think every SHVS car that needs a battery change is sitting idle at home waiting for Exide to start selling these batteries again? Moreover, with a decent volume of SHVS cars on the roads why did Exide stopped replenishing these batteries? One will expect a decent demand in the replacement market. What gives? The reason could be that people got wise to the fact that I stated earlier.

Last edited by Zappo : 29th May 2018 at 11:12.
Zappo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 11:36   #10

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I have found the alternate yesterday - views and suggestions did help me.

Let me put down the details here:

It all started with the Auto Start-Stop light blinking in the dashboard while driving. Took it to service center. They checked the system and diagnosed it as weak battery and needs replacement.
I checked the user manual and it was mentioned several times that the replacement should be the exact same model. I was skeptical to go with other models at first.

Called up the four MSC, non had any idea of this battery. Had to explain them about the SHVS and they just said "we don't have". The fifth MSC said you will need to book it by paying advance. I did that and waited few days. The floor manager informed me that there is no stock available in entire Hyderabad and would take 2-3 weeks and suggested to go for Amaron with same rating (I think this was to sell their existing inventory) I agreed with the caveat that I would buy it only if the SHVS system works (thanks to the forum suggestion)

Went to the service center and got an Amaron 65Ah installed. The SHVS didn't work and the orange light was blinking. Then they fitted a 74Ah (AMARON AAM-PR-574102069) and the SHVS started to work. Went to a test drive, the SHVS is working as expected.

No response from the Exide Care and Maruti Customer Care yet after initial queries. I am waiting for their "We will call you back!"

Last edited by ampere : 30th May 2018 at 11:52. Reason: formatted
tanveerahmed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 13:30   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Then they fitted a 74Ah (AMARON AAM-PR-574102069) and the SHVS started to work. Went to a test drive, the SHVS is working as expected.
There may have been something wrong with the 64 AH battery, possibly undercharged. Anyway, it just proves Maruti's/Exide's so called Conserva battery is a con game.

Quote:
No response from the Exide Care and Maruti Customer Care yet after initial queries. I am waiting for their "We will call you back!"
I don't think you should care any more.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 16:20   #12
BHPian

How much did you pay for the AMARON AAM-PR-574102069

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I have found the alternate yesterday - views and suggestions did help me.

Let me put down the details here:

It all started with the Auto Start-Stop light blinking in the dashboard while driving. Took it to service center. They checked the system and diagnosed it as weak battery and needs replacement.
I checked the user manual and it was mentioned several times that the replacement should be the exact same model. I was skeptical to go with other models at first.

Called up the four MSC, non had any idea of this battery. Had to explain them about the SHVS and they just said "we don't have". The fifth MSC said you will need to book it by paying advance. I did that and waited few days. The floor manager informed me that there is no stock available in entire Hyderabad and would take 2-3 weeks and suggested to go for Amaron with same rating (I think this was to sell their existing inventory) I agreed with the caveat that I would buy it only if the SHVS system works (thanks to the forum suggestion)

Went to the service center and got an Amaron 65Ah installed. The SHVS didn't work and the orange light was blinking. Then they fitted a 74Ah (AMARON AAM-PR-574102069) and the SHVS started to work. Went to a test drive, the SHVS is working as expected.

Old 3rd January 2019, 16:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzail View Post
How much did you pay for the AMARON AAM-PR-574102069
It costed Rs.10695/- after buy-back of old one.
Old 29th January 2019, 14:15   #14
BHPian

Have not tried ordering from here, but google search gave this link >

http://batteryboss.in/product/exide-conservo-din70-iss/

Dont know if this is genuine or not - but claims for SHVS specific battery for 8K with exchange.
(with my car entering 4th year - I'll probably be ordering this anytime this year ! )

Apart from starting issues, any other sign of battery going dead I should look out for ?
Old 14th February 2019, 12:12   #15
BHPian

I also bought AMARON AAM-PR-574102069 which is working with SHVS for last 2 days .. fingers crossed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks