Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2018, 08:23   #16
BHPian

re: Maruti 1.3L diesel engine: Coolant leakage issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Old part 17690M79M60 is shared by all 1.3MJDs except 1st Gen Swift and Ritz. That is a lot of cars on the and should have been caught by members here on TBHP years ago.

But none was reported untill now and only on SCross. Why?

Or have they dropped quality over the years?
The part on the 2008 Swift 1.3 MJD was the same and similar (bad) quality too. However, it continues functioning until touched. The one in mine worked for 10 years and 150k kms before I decided to do some maintenance work on the car, while the thermostat was not a part of the work, as soon as the mechanic touched it, it broke. Now replaced with the updated part.

IMO either servicing leads mechanic to touch the part (and break it), or coolant is hotter (leading to earlier failure). Would read all this as Maruti changes to the national engine.
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 09:09   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Old part 17690M79M60 is shared by all 1.3MJDs except 1st Gen Swift and Ritz. That is a lot of cars on the and should have been caught by members here on TBHP years ago.
Yes, the old part is shared in many Maruti cars. Not sure if some other factor leads to failure of the said part in S-Cross.

My suggestion to S-Cross 1.3 owners is that get the new part, spend from your pocket. Maruti will not recall cars and change the thermostat.
Old 25th June 2018, 09:37   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe the 1.6 MJD operates at a higher pressure in the cooling system compared to the 1.3MJD. Since the part is originally designed for 1.3MJD it might have been operating at the boundary of this operating range and hence failed. I doubt the quality of such critical parts are toned down over the life cycle.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 09:44   #19
BHPian

Mine is a July 2017 S-Cross pre-facelift done about 15k odd kms. Should I go to MASS and get it checked? Or should I just follow "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Last edited by GTO : 25th June 2018 at 10:08. Reason: Poorly typed post
Reality is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th June 2018, 09:59   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality View Post
Mine is a July 2017 S-Cross pre-facelift done about 15k odd kms. Should I go to MASS and get it checked? Or should I just follow "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?
I guess if it is of Al die cast design instead of the Plastic molded type it would need replacement.

Last edited by GTO : 25th June 2018 at 10:08. Reason: Quoted post edited
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 10:12   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Maybe the 1.6 MJD operates at a higher pressure in the cooling system compared to the 1.3MJD. Since the part is originally designed for 1.3MJD it might have been operating at the boundary of this operating range and hence failed.
This part is not common in 1.3 and 1.6. I know only 1 S-Cross 1.6 which had coolant leakage while many 1.3 had this because of faulty thermostat. Maruti has modified the part too.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 25th June 2018 at 10:14.
Old 25th June 2018, 11:47   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
The part on the 2008 Swift 1.3 MJD was the same and similar (bad) quality too. However, it continues functioning until touched. The one in mine worked for 10 years and 150k kms before I decided to do some maintenance work on the car, while the thermostat was not a part of the work, as soon as the mechanic touched it, it broke. Now replaced with the updated part.

IMO either servicing leads mechanic to touch the part (and break it), or coolant is hotter (leading to earlier failure). Would read all this as Maruti changes to the national engine.
Aha! You make an interesting point. All the S-Crosses which have run into this issue appear to have been serviced a week or upto 10 days before this incident. Mine definitely was serviced 5 days before the incident and I am aware of two other cars which was serviced, soon after which this issue cropped up. In my case it was a general checkup and fluids top up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality View Post
You won't be able to get warranty replacement on your part (assuming its faulty) unless you run into this issue.
sudeepg is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 12:07   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Guess this thread is on radar of Maruti Suzuki.

Just got a call from the dealer asking the feedback of 'NEW Thermostat' ( guess info is taken from the posted invoice details here)

DDiS200 Owners (esp. Bangalore) : In-case you have a doubt on the thermostat ( if needs replacement) check with your dealer.

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th June 2018 at 12:10.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 12:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Guess this thread is on radar of Maruti Suzuki.
It does look like. I just got a call from Bimal Mahadevapura Service Manager and he mentioned that Maruti/dealer will be reimbursing the towing charges I incurred for my car.

They also offered to reimburse the Rs. 16 I was charged for a water inlet hose, but I let it pass.

This has really made me happy! Maruti and their dealers have owned up this issue and addressed it to my complete satisfaction.
sudeepg is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 15:21   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthi.stark View Post
We too faced a similar issue with our Celerio during a road trip to Pudukottai!

Wonder if this is the case with all Maruti cars and not only the S-Cross.
Hi. Is it a diesel celerio?
Has anyone experienced the problem with petrol marutis? I ask as i have k10 and ciaz petrol.
Thanx.
Old 25th June 2018, 16:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthi.stark View Post
We too faced a similar issue with our Celerio during a road trip to Pudukottai!

The coolant in our case was found in the passenger footwell (God knows how it ended up there!).

The issue was fixed, but the service guys there were unable to find the root cause of the issue!

Regarding the coolant leak in passenger foot well, most probably the culprit would be heater core / hose. The issue popped up in my 8 year old Swift few months back and was quoted around 3.5K for heater core replacement which I didn't go for. However, I did some DIY on the hose which feeds coolant to the heater core (tightened it with a cable tie) and the issue has not come up till date.
bhp_maniac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 19:11   #27
Team-BHP Support

I took my S-Cross (1.3, Nov 2015) for the 40,000 service today. The SA was aware of this issue cropping up in some cars. Mine was examined for any signs of leakage but none were found.

I requested for a preventive replacement but it was politely declined. The SA mentioned that preventive replacement is happening only for a selected range of VINs and mine was not in the range. He did not have any further information on this.
Old 25th June 2018, 20:21   #28
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I requested for a preventive replacement but it was politely declined. The SA mentioned that preventive replacement is happening only for a selected range of VINs and mine was not in the range. He did not have any further information on this.
Does this mean there's a silent recall of the affected VINs? Have not heard about any car getting it changed proactively yet. This is one thing I have been dreading. Initially I thought I was not affected (mine's a May 2017 pre face lift Zeta) but it seems only the face lifted model is trouble free.
Old 25th June 2018, 20:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

I took my car for an unrelated running repair and asked them to check the thermostat. It was found to be OK. I requested if there was a replacement possible considering the failure and was informed that they can only replace the part if it fails, else I would have to pay for the upgraded part. If I remember correctly, it would cost around 4k plus labour, if I choose to replace with an updated part.
Old 25th June 2018, 21:16   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi_jeeper View Post
Hi. Is it a diesel celerio?
Has anyone experienced the problem with petrol marutis? I ask as i have k10 and ciaz petrol.
Thanx.
It is the petrol variant of the Celerio. Forgot to mention that!

Regards,
Karthi.stark

Last edited by karthi.stark : 25th June 2018 at 21:18.
karthi.stark is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks