Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2018, 17:31   #1
BANNED

Maruti 1.3L diesel engine: Coolant leakage issue

Creating this thread so all S-Cross owners irrespective of the engine (DDiS 200 and/or DDiS 320), beware the Thermostat Failure issue that would drain out all of the coolant in the system and destroy the engine IF not noticed in time and taken care off.

Symptoms Reported during this failure
  1. Loss in A/C cooling

2. Temperature Gauge Needle moves to 'H'

3. Burning smell (if car is driven and the temperature needle isn't noticed by the owner)

Four cases reported on the forum on the DDiS 200 engine and 1 case reported on the DDiS 320 engine on this failure.

1. Cases reported on the 1.3L DDiS Engine

A) Sudeepg's S-Cross 1.3 (Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L)

Quote:
Got out of the car and noticed the coolant dripped all over basement driveway. Opened the hood, found coolant all over including on radiator fan. Clearly it has splashed everywhere and the coolant reservoir was completely empty

B) ajay_satpute's S-Cross 1.3 (Ride to Glide: Maruti S-Cross 1.3 Zeta)

Quote:
While I was driving from Kolhapur to Pune on the NH4, just about 15 kms away from Pune, the AC cooling stopped suddenly. I switched it on and off a few times, changed temperature to 19 degrees, increased fan speed to the fastest possible, still there was no cold air from the AC vents. Then I saw that the engine temperature needle was beyond H, i.e. it was even over hottest. After few minutes, I started getting burning smell. So I pulled over on a service road and opened the bonnet. I was shocked that the coolant tank was completely empty.

C) Volkman10's S-Cross 1.3

Quote:
However on 10th Feb on checking the floor, did notice it being a bit damp. Thinking it would be due to washing of the floor and yet to get dry, however thought of checking the engine bay. And was shocked to see the housing was filled with coolant. Having read some cases of engine overheating on S Cross and as well as Ertiga (known case) immediately contacted the dealer SA.

Fixed appointment for the next day, but was convinced it was a leakage of coolant at the outlet of the engine and would be the start as the level in the coolant container was between the high and low levels.

D) Sree73's S-Cross 1.3 (Maruti S-Cross breakdown: Coolant leakage, miserable towing experience)

Quote:
Had lunch at Salem Saravana Bhavan at 12:30 and resumed the journey in 45 minutes. At around 2:30PM, I felt the AC was not working perfectly. Cooling was not good. Adjusted the temperature to 20 degrees and continued. Still there was no improvement in the cooling. At that point of time, I just looked at the Engine temperature gauge. The needle was stuck well above the Maximum Red mark on the gauge and I sensed something wrong with the engine cooling system.

I stopped the car and opened the bonnet. The engine coolant container was empty and coolant was splashed all over. Because of overheating, the coolant which got splashed started fuming from the engine parts. But, I could not locate the exact location of leak.

2. Case reported on the 1.6L DDiS Engine

A) Reported by a non-BHPian (Maruti S-Cross : Official Review)

Quote:
Recently an owner reported coolant leak. It was due to faulty thermostat. This issue is very common in S-Cross 1.3, but was the first case in 1.6.
a4anurag is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 17:40   #2
BANNED

re: Maruti 1.3L diesel engine: Coolant leakage issue

Pictures of the issue reported

1. Sudeepg's Case

Maruti 1.3L diesel engine: Coolant leakage issue-s1.jpg

Maruti 1.3L diesel engine: Coolant leakage issue-s2.jpg

Maruti 1.3L diesel engine: Coolant leakage issue-s4.jpg

Maruti 1.3L diesel engine: Coolant leakage issue-s3.jpg

2. Volkman10's Case

Maruti 1.3L diesel engine: Coolant leakage issue-v1.jpg

Maruti 1.3L diesel engine: Coolant leakage issue-damaged-part.jpg

Maruti 1.3L diesel engine: Coolant leakage issue-new-one.jpg

Maruti 1.3L diesel engine: Coolant leakage issue-invoice.jpg

Maruti 1.3L diesel engine: Coolant leakage issue-new-one-place.jpg

3. Sree73's Case

Maruti 1.3L diesel engine: Coolant leakage issue-sree-2.jpg

Maruti 1.3L diesel engine: Coolant leakage issue-sree-1.jpg

Maruti 1.3L diesel engine: Coolant leakage issue-sree-3.jpg

Maruti 1.3L diesel engine: Coolant leakage issue-sree-invoice-job.jpg

4. DDiS 320 Case

Maruti 1.3L diesel engine: Coolant leakage issue-save_20180514_122028.jpeg
a4anurag is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2018, 08:47   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Tech Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2018, 10:15   #4
BHPian

Thanks for creating such a thread. I believe all owners should get this thing checked and replaced if necessary. This is a serious issue and can leave the owners stranded.

Is this problematic thermostat housing typical of scross? Never heard of this issue of other ddis engined Maruti cars.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2018, 10:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey a4anurag! Thanks for the thread!

Has this issue been resolved with the facelift? A few of my friends are seriously considering the face-lift S-Cross!

Last edited by Turbohead : 23rd June 2018 at 11:11.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2018, 11:09   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Has this issue been resolved with the facelift? A few of my grieve are seriously considering the facelift S-Cross!
This design of thermostat is seen in the initial batch of S Cross. Design of the thermostat has been changed now (molded and integral piece w/ connectors )
This is as informed by the SA.

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd June 2018 at 11:14.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2018, 11:20   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Has this issue been resolved with the facelift? A few of my friends are seriously considering the face-lift S-Cross!
As pointed by Volkman10 Sir, the design for the thermostat has been changed to amend the issues faced by inital owners of the S-Cross.

I haven't come across any New S-Cross owner reporting this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Design of the thermostat has been changed now (molded and integral piece w/ connectors)
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2018, 13:58   #8
BHPian

We too faced a similar issue with our Celerio during a road trip to Pudukottai!

The coolant in our case was found in the passenger footwell (God knows how it ended up there!).

During the middle of the trip trip, we received a foul smell in the car, but dismissed it thinking that it was the smell of old flowers we had got a day ago from the temples we visited. It was only when we saw the coolant fluid in the passenger footwell towards the end of the trip did we realise our assumption was wrong!

We took the car to an authorised Maruti service centre in Pudukottai (surprised to find it there!). They said the issue required a day to be fixed. However, we were in a hurry as we had to travel back to Bangalore on the same day. Hence, a bypass procedure was done as a result of which the heater was not functional during the return journey. (who requires it anyway? )

After we came back, we took the car to Pratham Motors for fixing the issue thoroughly. The issue was fixed, but the service guys there were unable to find the root cause of the issue!

Thankfully, The issue has not returned till date.

Wonder if this is the case with all Maruti cars and not only the S-Cross.

Regards,
Karthi.stark

(P.S: I don't have the pictures of the leak as it happened around two years ago when the car was in its 1st year of ownership)

Last edited by karthi.stark : 23rd June 2018 at 14:05.
karthi.stark is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 01:26   #9
BHPian

Happened with my ciaz too a few days back. Was on my way from raigad towards mumbai on NH17. Suddenly before panvel the ac stopped working and the engine temp needle started rising. Stopped my car and opened the bonnet to find coolant spilled all over the engine bay. The thermostat had broken near the plastic inlet/outlet. Had to tow the car to panvel MASS and get it replaced.
BLACKRiVAL is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 12:53   #10
BHPian

If we look at the thermostat housing assembly picture of my car & Volkman10's car, It's exactly the same point at which the elbow rupture has happened. Other cases, since the housing assembly picture is not there, difficult to say. Most probably, this is because of the manufacturing fault of that component.

Any idea who is the OEM for that thermostat housing assembly?
Old 24th June 2018, 13:01   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Four cases reported on the forum on the DDiS 200 engine and 1 case reported on the DDiS 320 engine on this failure.
BHPian sandygordon had also faced issue related to thermostat. Details here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4252293

Maruti has updated / modified the particular part after September 2017. My parts catalogue is printed in September 2017 and it doesn't have the new part number, that explains it. The old part number is 17690M79M60. All the owners affected got the new part during replacement, which ends with M70. and not M60. Attaching the new part pic and part number shared by volkman.
Maruti 1.3L diesel engine: Coolant leakage issue-img_20180624_125311.jpg
I am being told that this is a known issue but random. This is not related to a specific batch. Also this part is shared in many Maruti cars with 1.3 DDIS. The part has been modified now.

Regarding coolant leakage issue in 1.6, it was only 1 car in our 1.6 group. Nobody else had this. But many other 1.3 owners who are not in the forum have also faced this coolant leakage issue.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 24th June 2018 at 13:06.
Dr.Naren is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 13:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Regarding coolant leakage issue in 1.6, it was only 1 car in our 1.6 group. Nobody else had this. But many other 1.3 owners who are not in the forum have also faced this coolant leakage issue.
Going by the volume breakup between 1.3 & 1.6, this 6 : 1 failure cases reported goes by the statistical probability theory.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 13:12   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Going by the volume breakup between 1.3 & 1.6, this 6 : 1 failure cases reported goes by the statistical probability theory.
This specific part is not common in 1.3 and 1.6. It's totally different. No such modified part for 1.6. Only 1/115 cars in our 1.6 group had this issue compared to 10/150 in S Cross 1.3 group .
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 07:36   #14
BHPian

Got back my car yesterday from Bimal. The replaced part number in my case too is 17690M79M70, which is indeed the newer part. The part failed exactly at the same place in my case too - at the elbow. I am hoping this won't repeat.

I was lucky that my engine didn't overheat at all and I caught the issue early enough. Also thank God that the issue didn't crop up on a long trip.

Given the nature of this problem, I didn't get why there is no system to have the check engine light come up when the engine is overheating or when the coolant reservoir is being drained. It seems that this should not be too complex to program in the ECU? How I wish the car would give away an audible alarm or at least have the CEL come on when this issue surfaces to prevent engine damage.

I raised this point with the service advisor and the service manager and their response was - If the car is under warranty and this issue leads to an engine seizure, the company would replace the engine under warranty!

Really? Isn't prevention better than cure?

Either ways, my car was with them for 3 full days and they said they did a complete test including engine compression test, road test and everything turned out to be good.

The costs were covered under warranty except for a water inlet hose pipe which costed me INR 16.

I also raised the cost of flat bed towing charges (2655, available through Nexa RSA, and delivered through Bajaj Allianz). The Service Manager indicated that he will try and cover that too and if I had mentioned it up front, he would have included it in the warranty coverage.

I am waiting and watching now to see how they go about it. Most likely I will get a waiver off on my next service.

Lastly, I have to mention that my service experience with Bimal is a 10/10. My Service Advisor HemaPrasad and Service Manager Suman are very pleasant to deal with - Right from getting the car accepted, checked, issue rectified and then discussing the matter to handling the issue as warranty. Although a bit miffed at the time it took, but I'll let it pass.

Last edited by sudeepg : 25th June 2018 at 07:40.
sudeepg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 08:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

Old part 17690M79M60 is shared by all 1.3MJDs except 1st Gen Swift and Ritz. That is a lot of cars on the and should have been caught by members here on TBHP years ago.

But none was reported untill now and only on SCross. Why?

Or have they dropped quality over the years?
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks