Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Does coding a BMW void the warranty?
Coding voids warranty 31 21.83%
Coding does not void warranty 28 19.72%
Depends on the relationship with the ASC 31 21.83%
Don't know / Can't say 52 36.62%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2018, 11:16   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW - Coding & enabling hidden features

Thanks to Anuj Sherawat for sending this in via our share page!

Quote:
I was reading about the coding on BMWs, I have been doing this on many BMWs as I have the Carly adapter. BMW do void warranty if they notice coding or any mods.

Please do update people on the warranty there as it gets void and one of my relatives was in trouble with his 3GT.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2018, 11:40   #17
Team-BHP Support

Great to see lots of guys messing around with their Bimmers, not as many as those who tinker with their VAGs though

With coding the BMWs, you are basically activating features which are built into the car already, but de-activated for various reasons (some are market related, some cost related, etc). So I don't see any reason why BMW should void warranty. The guys are the service centres are also pretty level headed most of the times. Both my Bimmers are coded, I've never mentioned it to the service centre and never had an issue with warranty.

Let me get into a bit of detail. Now all BMWs have something stored on them, which is called the VO (vehicle order) code. This is something which lists out the exact specification of that car via a 3 digit alphanumerical codes. For example if my F30 has navigation the corresponding code will be 609, if it has the digital instrument cluster it will be 6WB, if it has adaptive m suspension it will be 2VF.

Now depending on the method which is used for coding, who does it, and also the features which are being enabled - The VO may be changed. Even if the VO is changed, for regular services and maintenance it will not be an issue. BUT if BMW has update the entire cars software (due to reasons like failed module, compulsory update from BMW, software issues being faced), then the VO on the vehicle doesn't match the VO stored on BMW servers (since BMW has the original VO data which is as per the vehicles VIN number). Due to the VO mismatch they cannot proceed further, and this is where things start getting messy.

So to avoid this, its best to get your VO back to the same as original (doesn't mean you will lose your coding features) in case you have a feeling BMW will have to update software. But yes if the cars software is updated, then all the coding is reset.

Hope I've not confused you guys lol

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th August 2018 at 11:43.
Akshay1234 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th August 2018, 13:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Great to see lots of guys messing around with their Bimmers, not as many as those who tinker with their VAGs though

Quote:
So to avoid this, its best to get your VO back to the same as original (doesn't mean you will lose your coding features) in case you have a feeling BMW will have to update software.
If we put back the stock configuration file, will the VO get back to its original state? Is this for sure?

Which tool do you use for coding?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 25th August 2018 at 13:38.
Old 25th September 2018, 13:04   #19
BHPian

Can't say that this will put this controversy/question to rest but here is what I believe is the connection between the warranty and coding:

A) What will void the warranty

1) If you have retrofitted a completely different Headunit

B) What may void the warranty

2) If you have made changes to add features that were not a part of the original vehicle order (VO) (e.g. added enhanced BT on enabled carplay when the car did not come with the same from factory)

-----AND
For some reason (e.g. a service bulletin to update the firmware) , the service center needs to run a firmware update on the impacted ECU - In such a case, the difference in the FO will showup as a retrofit on the dealer software

--------- OR
You yourself ask for a software update (believe this did happen with someone on team-bhp)

C) What will not void the warranty

3) If you have not changed the Vehicle order but simply changed some flags (Werte_values) on the CAFD e.g. enabled last setting memory on auto start/stop

What this means in real terms:

a) If you have decided to perform a physical upgrade, i guess it is obvious to most that it will mean forgoing the warranty

b) If you have changed minor flags on existing features, you will be 99.99% fine

c) If you have enabled a new VO code , you will probably not have an issue with regular service unless you ask for a software update or in the say 10% likelihood of BMW having issued a FW update service bulleting
To put it into perspective, my old X1 (2012) was on the same I-step value (firmware version) in 2017 when I sold it

d) If you have enabled a new VO code and really want to play it safe:
  • -connect your car to e-sys before sending for service
    -Either open the original FA values file that you hopefully had saved before making the changes
    -Or manually remove the VO codes you have added/re-edit any modified VO codes back to original
    -write the VO codes to the car - all ECUs that are related to the modified VO will be set back to default values
    -Send car for service
    -Change/add your VO codes once car is back

All of the steps in (d) should take you less than 10 minutes

Last edited by abhi182 : 25th September 2018 at 13:09.
abhi182 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 13:18   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
d) If you have enabled a new VO code and really want to play it safe:
  • -connect your car to e-sys before sending for service
    -Either open the original FA values file that you hopefully had saved before making the changes
    -Or manually remove the VO codes you have added/re-edit any modified VO codes back to original
    -write the VO codes to the car - all ECUs that are related to the modified VO will be set back to default values
    -Send car for service
    -Change/add your VO codes once car is back

All of the steps in (d) should take you less than 10 minutes
This is what makes E-Sys a better option for making upgrades.

I have a question on this option.

Say I restore all the default values before sending it to service, does this modify / restore operation gets flagged in the ECU and can be detected by BMW?
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 13:49   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This is what makes E-Sys a better option for making upgrades.

I have a question on this option.

Say I restore all the default values before sending it to service, does this modify / restore operation gets flagged in the ECU and can be detected by BMW?
If you really go hunting for it , yes, it can be detected
The VO values you code are stored in an xml format and it does have a string for creation date and time
But unless the ASS advisor has some kind of vendetta against you , I really doubt if it would ever cause you trouble..

I made fair amount of changes on my old e84 (including disabling a lost keyfob) - didn;t run into any service/warranty issues on it ever..
YMMV of course
abhi182 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 15:10   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you really go hunting for it , yes, it can be detected
The VO values you code are stored in an xml format and it does have a string for creation date and time
But unless the ASS advisor has some kind of vendetta against you , I really doubt if it would ever cause you trouble..
Actually, the service guys are quite helpful here. I don't expect any issues from them. My question was to find if the BMW servers will detect this and flag it automatically.

Quote:
Let me get into a bit of detail. Now all BMWs have something stored on them, which is called the VO (vehicle order) code...

BUT if BMW has update the entire cars software (due to reasons like failed module, compulsory update from BMW, software issues being faced), then the VO on the vehicle doesn't match the VO stored on BMW servers (since BMW has the original VO data which is as per the vehicles VIN number). Due to the VO mismatch they cannot proceed further, and this is where things start getting messy.

So to avoid this, its best to get your VO back to the same as original (doesn't mean you will lose your coding features) in case you have a feeling BMW will have to update software. But yes if the cars software is updated, then all the coding is reset.

Hope I've not confused you guys lol
So, BMW servers only check for the VO in the car and compare it with the one in their database. They do not care about the date the VO was modified (like we modify and then restore), right? If this is confirmed, then I think we can do all the modifications we want and restore them before giving the car for service.

PS: I have already ordered the ENet cable and the WiFi antenna. Just getting all the information to be 100% sure of warranty clauses (have the 6 year warranty and BSI packages), before I start messing with the car

Last edited by graaja : 25th September 2018 at 15:17.
Old 25th September 2018, 15:20   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Actually, the service guys are quite helpful here. I don't expect any issues from them. My question was to find if the BMW servers will detect this and flag it automatically.
Never heard of it.. And I have read through a thousand+ posts on BMW coding forums

I think I saw only a few instances of dealerships flagging coding as an issue and all of them had to do with when a firmware update was performed on a car with a FO (Vehicle order) that was different from the factory coded VO
Old 25th September 2018, 15:22   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Never heard of it.. And I have read through a thousand+ posts on BMW coding forums

I think I saw only a few instances of dealerships flagging coding as an issue and all of them had to do with when a firmware update was performed on a car with a FO (Vehicle order) that was different from the factory coded VO
This makes total sense. I am confident to proceed now!
Old 25th September 2018, 16:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ganesh!

From my understanding, there are 2 aspects:

Hardware: BMW does not want it's customers to do any hardware changes under warranty. As the quality / safety can be compromised due to third party hardware, this is understandable. There is also a commercial angle to this, as BMW will not get any revenue when a Customer gets the work done by a third party. Therefore, this has also to do with safeguarding there interest.

Software: Commercially speaking, BMW has sold us a particular configuration for a fixed price. Now if a feature (software) is added by a third party, BMW will not get any revenue for the same. Basically, Vehicle Order code stores the commercially valid configuration and is used to prevent Customers from adding any unauthorized feature.

As Abhi182 mentioned, if we change the default status of a particular feature which is already a part of the commercial package, it should not change the VO, as it does not have any commercial implication to BMW.

E-Sys is the best option in my opinion, except that it is a bit complicated. Even then, it would not have been a big deal, had it been completely in English.

IMHO, as long as we do not alter the hardware or add / activate any software package like the Apple-Carplay for example, there should not be any problem with the warranty.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 16:59   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
IMHO, as long as we do not alter the hardware or add / activate any software package like the Apple-Carplay for example, there should not be any problem with the warranty.
And that exactly is what I want to add - CarPlay. Hence all these questions

I am actually not interested in enabling any other small features. I am quite happy with the car as it is, except CarPlay. I am willing to pay BMW to enable this feature. But without the WiFi hardware, I don't think BMW will enable CarPlay in my car. Or maybe they will come up with an upgrade sometime in the future.
Old 25th September 2018, 17:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And that exactly is what I want to add - CarPlay. Hence all these questions

I am actually not interested in enabling any other small features. I am quite happy with the car as it is, except CarPlay. I am willing to pay BMW to enable this feature. But without the WiFi hardware, I don't think BMW will enable CarPlay in my car. Or maybe they will come up with an upgrade sometime in the future.
WiFi Hardware is not a big deal. NBT Neo has it built-in if I am right and only a WiFi antenna is required. It is just Plug & Play; does not need any specific coding. You can anyway connect Apple CarPlay through USB or the BT. WiFi is not a must & should option.

If you get the Apple CarPlay without the WiFi antenna, the coverage distance will be very limited and you may have to place the mobile very close to the HU, maybe within 1mtr. Other than that, it should work.

You have a very co-operative dealer there. Please try to get it done at the dealership. Once the job is done, WiFi antenna can be plugged-in any time.
Old 26th September 2018, 10:40   #28
BHPian

Quote:

So, BMW servers only check for the VO in the car and compare it with the one in their database. They do not care about the date the VO was modified (like we modify and then restore), right? If this is confirmed, then I think we can do all the modifications we want and restore them before giving the car for service.

PS: I have already ordered the ENet cable and the WiFi antenna. Just getting all the information to be 100% sure of warranty clauses (have the 6 year warranty and BSI packages), before I start messing with the car
Looks like I was partially wrong in my previous explanation
The new FO (VO) value do need necessarily need to be coded into the car as long as all the configuration changes pertaining to the new VO have been made to all affected ECUs

In other words, you do not even need to add 6CP to the vehicle VCM as long as all corresponding changes have been made to the HU ECU (HU_NBT2) - changes listed below:
Quote:
CARPLAY_SWT => aktiv
APPLE_ENHANCEMENTS-> aktiv
AUX1_IN_HU => wert_21
CID_DISP_AR => ratio_1_07
A4A_SWT => aktiv
A4A_XL => nicht_aktiv
A4A_KML => nicht_aktiv
Apparently adding the VO and then coding the ECU is just a faster /bulk method of achieving the above - when you add 6CP to the vehicle VCM and ask e-sys to code the HU ECU, e-sys looks up the flags corresponding to available VOs and modifies the corresponding parameters in one go

What this means is you could either
- add 6CP, code the ECU and later remove 6CP from the Vehicle VCM
- Not even add 6CP and modify the underlying flags in the HU ECU manually

Either of the two above would mean you don't even need to do anything before sending car for subsequent services..because as far as BMW AG is concerned, your car is on stock configuration per the vehicle VCM

PS: Have not tested this yet
Old 26th September 2018, 12:29   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In other words, you do not even need to add 6CP to the vehicle VCM as long as all corresponding changes have been made to the HU ECU (HU_NBT2) - changes listed below:...
That is good news! Does this mean that I just need to connect the Wifi antenna and change the flags in the HU? No need for the FSC code?
Old 26th September 2018, 14:27   #30
BHPian

Quote:
That is good news! Does this mean that I just need to connect the Wifi antenna and change the flags in the HU? No need for the FSC code?
You still need the FSC code to enable the flags at bootup
Its just that instead of writing the new feature to the vehicle order, you simply program the affected ECUs (HU_NBT2 in this case) directly on the basis of the added new VO element (6CP in this case )

What you do not need to do is to write the new VO element into the car so that the car VO remains the way it was from the factory - An extreme analogy would be changing the engine from say a 2.0L to a 3.0 L but leaving the car badge as 320d

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks