Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2018, 08:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Poor quality spiral cables used by Toyota India? It can affect airbag deployment

I think they had an official recall. I remember that our '07 Innova had an inspection for 'airbag light' during one of the services. I can't recollect when that happened though.

The seriousness of this matter is just like unintended acceleration, but somehow it hasn't got all the media hype.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 09:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Poor quality spiral cables used by Toyota India? It can affect airbag deployment

Start tweeting about this, people. Copying Fortuner, Toyota India and a few media handles. We can create a hashtag - e.g. #toyotaspiralcableissue. Maybe then Toyota will wake up.
Old 26th September 2018, 09:52   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I have replaced the clockspring a few years ago on our i20 since the Airbag light did not go away after the engine on. The issue resolved and the Airbag light is on again as i type this. I have to get the clock spring replaced again. So i guess, this is not just isolated to Toyota. Good thing is that the cost of the part is ~1500 and labor is ~300 so the entire replacement does not pinch the pocket.

The previous time I got it replaced the technician said that the primary reason for the part to go bad is one is applying too much pressure on the horn pad or if one bangs the horn pad out of frustration or aggression.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 10:17   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Shouldn't you be asking for shutting down the Toyota production just like you did here ?
Toyota knows that part is of poor quality and prone to failure (which can impact airbag deployment). Recalls have been issued in some geographies, but not in India (at least not all models are covered). Doesn't really sound like a "respected" company which "quickly learnt and made changes". Or may be it learnt that recalls are expensive and not really needed (or can be done selectively) for a 3rd world country like India.

What is interesting is that I don't see the same "outrage" (that was meted out to another manufacturer) towards Toyota in this case. Instead you seem to have accepted your fate in the hands of Toyota and are looking for spare part procurement!

Sorry for taking potshots at you by referring to what you posted in another thread, but I hope you understand the point I am making about deep-rooted biases.

A couple of things, first I never knew that this can also affect the Airbag deployments if that's indeed correct. I normally don't use this particular car, sometime last year, our Car had taken a small hit and I used it when it came after repairs and I realised horn not working. In the back of my mind, it was about some shabby work done by the repair guy that lead to this (remember for guys like me, nothing can go wrong on a Toyota without a reason!) Though we did send it back to the dealership they told that this is not related to repairs and we must pay for the change. I was not convinced to spend that kind of money on a Toyota horn

Since the car is hardly used, I thought of researching more and even thought of posting here but somehow skipped.

Yesterday we have sent my other Innova - Crysta for service and the advisor called that they will take extra 2 hours as they have an advisory on the VIN where they will reroute some wires. During that call I bought up this issue of my horn and even this thread that this is a known issue and they should fix my old Innova as well, he has asked to bring the car today but as per him, they had called the affected Cars (Airbag issues) on their own and my car won't be in that batch. I will have an update by noon.

Regarding your queries on why have they not recalled and they should shut the factories, I don't work or represent Toyota so won't able to answer for them. Yes, we all are humans and will be biased based on how we perceive someone either by his past or present. If you think people are going to treat Mahindra and Toyota with the same respect or hatred, I am afraid that's not going to happen. Forget about the recalls or failures, call it whatever, but Mahindra cars are poorly designed and even badly built, if you think otherwise it's your prerogative. Just look at the quality of Screws that Toyota uses and you will understand what I mean. But for that, you need to have that sort of an eye for details, for regular guys it will be just a screw and it won't matter if that screw has a rubber liner or if it's of correct size and type.

This is a TUV Engine cover - I would have probably designed a better way to fix this for my Engineering project and here you are trying to defend this company. I have also pasted an engine cover from Toyota.

Poor quality spiral cables used by Toyota India? It can affect airbag deployment-1.jpeg

Poor quality spiral cables used by Toyota India? It can affect airbag deployment-2.jpeg

Now contrary to people swearing of not buying any Mahindra product again or recommending on the referred thread, I don't think many people (Toyota customers) are going to fret over this issue (again my perception and I can be wrong). As for me, I am not going to stop buying Toyotas any time sooner

However that does not mean that Toyota is a saint either, they should have done a better job in changing the parts especially if they have done elsewhere.

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th September 2018 at 10:44.
Turbanator is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 10:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

This is akin to daylight robbery. Make a flimsy part first and then charge a fortune for replacement, when the replacement itself is cheap. Where is our consumer protection watchdog? Do we have such a thing in India?
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 16:09   #21
Team-BHP Support

Update on our Innova, the Car went for service and as per SA, there is no recall or campaign for our VIN. The part number is 843060K051 and it costs about Rs 12000. I dropped a mail to Toyota via the contact page and a lady called sometime ago and took some more details promising to get the facts checked.

From the links given by nilanjanray models on recall appears from 2010 and earlier whereas our Innova is from 2013, so it possible that they did some changes but even the newer one is also prone to damages in some conditions?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4466142 (Poor quality spiral cables used by Toyota India? It can affect airbag deployment)

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th September 2018 at 16:11.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 19:02   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
even the newer one is also prone to damages in some conditions?
If the steering is turned hard until it locks with a thud, then yes, there is a chance of premature wear or even snapping of this cable. Some people have this habit of turning the steering rapidly during parking. The flex ribbon might get stretched beyond permissible limits. Hence, its good to be easy on the steering to avoid damage to the clock spring.
audioholic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 15:03   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If the steering is turned hard until it locks with a thud, then yes, there is a chance of premature wear or even snapping of this cable. Some people have this habit of turning the steering rapidly during parking. The flex ribbon might get stretched beyond permissible limits. Hence, its good to be easy on the steering to avoid damage to the clock spring.
Not sure if I'm getting this right, but if you turn lock hard you'll have to shell out 12k's for replacement all the while running on compromised safety?

Damn! Now that's some bargain you're asked to be paying for creature comforts and supposed safety features.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 16:56   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Not sure if I'm getting this right, but if you turn lock hard you'll have to shell out 12k's for replacement all the while running on compromised safety?

Damn! Now that's some bargain you're asked to be paying for creature comforts and supposed safety features.
The flex cable has a limited range. It is also arranged in a compact coil like mechanism which winds and unwinds itself when the steering is turned. However, it does not have an internal limiter to the maximum rotation angle. This is determined by the steering rack. Just turning hard till the max limit once will not snap the cable. However, if one has this practice, then it can both wear out the cable, or in extreme cases just snap it off the connectors.

Perhaps the cables used by Toyota suppliers is not so strong and hence the repeated issues.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 15:15   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Maanava View Post
The airflow direction knob dues not work and they have quoted 40000 to charge the cable and the evaporator and condenser as well. This is when I literally ran away from Ravindu Toyota near Isckon.
Very sad state of affairs!
Curious to know what did you end up doing. Perhaps the replacement of evaporator and condenser is really not needed? Like many other dealers, they all tend to inflate the amount of repairs needed.
Few things that I faced with my Innova:
1. Charges (varying from 3000 to 6500) for AC cleaning. I fell for it twice. Next time got wise and asked them do you want to charge 6K per 10000 KM for using AC.
2. Injector cleaning & other such extras in the estimate. Flatly asked them not to do any thing other than standard service at standard servicing costs.
3. This is the most funny one. In the estimate there was an item marked INSP. I asked what the heck is INSP. The service adviser went on in circles. I asked to talk to supervisor. Finally supervisor said it is just polishing the insides of the engine bay. I said I can do with out the polish.
4. They are clueless about wheel alignment. My first set of tires developed uneven tire wear. Twice the vehicle would pull strongly to one side immediately after servicing that included wheel alignment and had to take back to them for fixing. Then I grew wise and started doing it from outside.
5. They are unable to fix the vanes of the rear ac vent that broke off. Told me big story about it requiring several thousand rupees and several days as apparently the whole roof lining had to be taken out.
6. 3000 Rs charges for ABS wiring fixing. No clue what they fixed.
7. This is another funny one. A tick tick sound was coming from under the car. The sound went away when the clutch is depressed and came back when in neutral or in gear. Couple of times I asked, they said the whole clutch assembly has to be replaced. I pointed out that the clutch seems to have sufficient bite as indicated by the surge forward while being released with handbrake on, rpms are normal and no reduction in fuel efficiency. It persisted for a year. Then again I pointed it out. They said they will have to disassemble and check costing labor of 3000. I said OK and asked to show me after disassembly. In the end it turned out to be dust in the pilot release bearing.
By the way, these were not with the dealer that you mentioned but another one. You can guess who. In the end the lessons I take away are
1. compared to many other vehicles, the Innova is a heck of a reliable car. The original clutch still functioning after 1 Lakh Km is itself a testament to this.
2. As with many other dealers, they will tend to inflate service bills. Owner has to be vigilant. This is a world wide phenomena. I have heard many such incidents in the US as well. Question, cross question, escalate, demand that you be physically shown on the shop floor the old part and be explained what is wrong with it for any part replacements. Follow this stringently for any non standard item other than regular service items. If the car is in running condition, do take it out and get another quote from some place else for any repair item that costs north of 3000 Rs or so.
3. I as a matter of principle, never ever leave the car with the dealer with out me being present there. Only on two occasions I did and both times I was overcharged. These days, even if it takes my whole work day, I stay at the dealer and make sure the car is in my sight always. In fact if I do not see it for 15 mins, I ask them where is it and make sure I see where it is parked.
4. Normal servicing and parts charges for Innova are one of the lowest I have seen. My friend's I20 routinely gets charged 2 or 3 times the servicing cost of my Innova despite it being only half as old as mine. Also note that with a bigger engine, quantity of engine oil and other fluids needed are much more for the Innova.
MinivanDriver is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 23:02   #26
BHPian

The cost of these wires seems to pretty expensive, lacking quality. Any idea if the cost is high because it is imported? Wish Government norms ensure atleast critical components meet the safety standards!
Old 26th October 2018, 13:12   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Abhinav Gupta shares his communication with Toyota. Shockingly, Toyota fails to see this as a safety defect, after typing some mumbo-jumbo about voluntary recalls by the idiots @ SIAM .

On the one hand, you sell cars with 7 airbags & excellent safety ratings (which I respect them for). On the other hand, such a cheap attitude toward a serious problem?

Poor quality spiral cables used by Toyota India? It can affect airbag deployment-mail-4.png
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 13:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Abhinav Gupta shares his communication with Toyota.
@Abhinav Gupta: Please get part number from Toyota, let's compare it with part number that Toyota replaced earlier for some of us.
At least in Innova's case, it's same part number (check my earlier post in this thread).
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 15:46   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Abhinav drops the following email:

Quote:
Please find attached a screenshot mentioning the part number of the spiral cable in my car as well as the part number of the recall which happened for the Innova.
Poor quality spiral cables used by Toyota India? It can affect airbag deployment-toyota-part-number.png
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 16:29   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
That’s quite a shocker. Our Petrol innova had this issue of Horn which won’t work when the steering is straight, it does work when it’s turned. Dealership gave an estimate of 15-20 K, I will try to find. Somehow it didn’t appealed to me and due to the low usage it got postponed.

So, any link to purchase the substitute wire or should I ask for replacement under recall?
I am facing the exact same issue in my 2011 diesel type 2 for the last one week. Car has done 69k and always serviced at A$$.
Did you find any resolution?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks