Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th February 2019, 00:53   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Poor quality spiral cables used by Toyota India? It can affect airbag deployment

few days back I discussed this matter with service advisor at Millennium Toyota (Mira Rd), he said that have replaced few times this part under warranty and also under extended warranty, so not to worry !

Just in case I had ordered this part from AliExpress and parcel has come, I noticed the part number printed is 84306-0K050 (instead of the above-mentioned 84306-0K051; maybe 50/51 are both same ??)
pcpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2019, 07:12   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Poor quality spiral cables used by Toyota India? It can affect airbag deployment

Times like these make me fall in love with this forum again and again. Whatever may be the issue, there is information about it on the forum - a whole thread in this case!

Quote:
Our Petrol innova had this issue of Horn which won’t work when the steering is straight, it does work when it’s turned. Dealership gave an estimate of 15-20 K, I will try to find.
Faced the exact same issue in my 2011 Altis done 90k kms. I thought it would be a minor wiring issue and took it to the nearest FNG who said that this was most likely due to this cable in the steering and I ought to get it done at Toyota after sales. The guys at Toyota gave me the same 2 options:
1. Get the cable changed - cost 12k.
2. Get an additional wire installed for the Horn with a switch near the steering. One it would have looked ugly and second this cable also controls the airbag and ICE functions from the steering as per Toyota guy. So didn't want to take the risk and got the cable replaced.

If only I would have searched for the issue here before, then would have ordered the part from Ali-express.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2019, 09:10   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
. <snip>..

If only I would have searched for the issue here before, then would have ordered the part from Ali-express.
IMHO, it is always better to go OEM on safety or performance critical equipment

You want the equipment to definitely work the one time in a million that it needs to. Saving a few bucks now at the cost of that is false economy

It also probably absolves Toyota of any legal liability if you go the Ali Express route.

Why is there no recall from Toyota if this is such a prevalent problem on such a critical component?

Is there anything we can do to force the issue?
sridhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:39   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

Why is there no recall from Toyota if this is such a prevalent problem on such a critical component?

Is there anything we can do to force the issue?
I am sure it is fairly common since the FNG guy took less than 2 minutes to arrive at this conclusion.
Accountability with our prevalent laws is not even plausible specially in this case where the odometer is reaching 90k kms after 8 years of usage. So I am guessing most people just take it as part of wear and tear.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2019, 11:43   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Just in case I had ordered this part from AliExpress and parcel has come, I noticed the part number printed is 84306-0K050 (instead of the above-mentioned 84306-0K051; maybe 50/51 are both same ??)
Did you end up installing this ? I have also ordered one from Aliexpress.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2019, 14:52   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Did you end up installing this ? I have also ordered one from Aliexpress.
No. The Aliexpress part is still at home. But as I said in earlier post, my nearest Toyota workshop assured to get it changed in warranty if there was a problem. I plan to go for regular service in few days, and would ask to have a check on this cable.
pcpranav is offline   Reply With Quote