Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2007, 02:46   #1
BHPian

burning smell on swift

Hi guys,
i had noticed a burning smell on my swift vxi, even after a small ride. I believe that the petrol was adulterated.

Could that be the reason?

Also recently i drove for like 2 km with the handbrake on, it was a horrible road, i might there wasn't a road, just shifting b/w 1st and 2nd. And there was a burning smell, what kind of damage could this have done.

The earlier mentioned smell was there before this handbrake incident.
Old 6th January 2007, 11:34   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

There had been a smell-diagsnostic thread here before. Anyway hope this helps Troubleshooting by Smell | Advance Auto Parts
Old 6th January 2007, 11:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also recently i drove for like 2 km with the handbrake on, it was a horrible road, i might there wasn't a road, just shifting b/w 1st and 2nd. And there was a burning smell, what kind of damage could this have done.
The brakes will have overheated.Also I think your tyres would also have taken a pounding.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 6th January 2007 at 11:54.
Old 6th January 2007, 13:14   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by micraft View Post
Hi guys,

Hi,

I believe you have burnt your clutch plate.

Viper
Old 6th January 2007, 13:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

wasnt you the guy who complained about pickup (in first and second ) problem with swift?
Old 6th January 2007, 15:14   #6
BHPian

no jkdas, i never complained about pickup problem with my swift.

" Hi,
I believe you have burnt your clutch plate.
Viper "

With the handbrake on how do i burn my clutch plates.
I'm usually very caerfull with the clutch, but unfortunately not with the hand brake.

Another thing, while engaging the hand brake, which brake is engaged front disk or rear drum or both.

Another thing, the smell was there before i used the hand brake, now i filled speed, and now i believe there is a different problem.

And another thing, my engine gets awfully hot, even after use for just a couple of minutes. But the heat indicator will always be at the centre, i have never even seen it at quarter, alway at half, it this normal.
Old 6th January 2007, 16:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another thing, while engaging the hand brake, which brake is engaged front disk or rear drum or both.
The rear ones.

Quote:
Another thing, the smell was there before i used the hand brake, now i filled speed, and now i believe there is a different problem.

And another thing, my engine gets awfully hot, even after use for just a couple of minutes. But the heat indicator will always be at the centre, i have never even seen it at quarter, alway at half, it this normal.
I think you should post all the problems together even though they may be unrelated.
Old 6th January 2007, 17:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
The brakes will have overheated.Also I think your tyres would also have taken a pounding.
The rear brakes would overheat and you might end up changing the liner or brake pads. But just 2 Kms with handbrake engaged is really no big deal.

The tyre would be ok unless the side walls got pierced against something sharp or banged against something blunt. In anycase the damage should be visible.

Bad road mostly lessens the life of the suspension. If you slip clutch then include that also.

Rattling is another concern!
Old 6th January 2007, 18:54   #9
BHPian

Hi

The burning smell has been confirmed by many swift owners and is a problem till first service @1000 km. I too had that burning smell but now it has faded away.

The heat indicator for me also remains at center even when i drove for around 150 kms at a stretch, so i guess it's normal but i'll confirm it again with the maruti guys tommorow.
Old 7th January 2007, 08:34   #10

Same problems here. I get a slight burning smell my Swift's just done 200Kms. Also the temp indicator remains fixed at the center of the dial??? irrespective of the distance travelled. I chkd all the wheels after a long drive they werent hot or something??? The smell thing kind of bugs me and is a bit scary???
Old 7th January 2007, 17:17   #11
BHPian

so almost everyone has, does anyone know what could be the reason of this?
Old 9th January 2007, 20:44   #12
BHPian

Engine Temperature

Hi,

Responding to "Engine Temperature" questions.

When ever the engine temperature increase beyond some upper limit, the fan kicks in, thus cooling the engine. Once the temperature falls below the lower limit, fan is turned off. Thus the temperature is maintained.

Specifically, if you are driving on highway, above 40kmph, then there is unlikey that engine will get overheated, as the air temperature is sufficient enough for heat transfer, unless it is too hot outside.

In my previous Indica, I have driven almost 400+kms, without turning off the engine (for AC purpose) even during breaks, no problems what so ever.

regards,
-manju
Old 8th February 2007, 19:01   #13
BHPian

[SIZE=2]I had given my car to AVG, thiruvalla following the same problem, smell coming from the exhaust. I had given it to them like three weeks ago. One service guy like spend like a couple of minutes near the exhaust smelling the fume and told me that the smell was from the catalytic converter. Then he popped the hood, pulled the acceleration cable on the engine slowly, listening to the engine carefully, and he told me that there was no missing. I asked them to check the timing and they said that there was no need for that.
There explanation was that the petrol in my tank gets old and leads to improper burning. Earlier i would fill a full tank it stays like that for a month, till the next fill up to the brim. After i gave them the car that day, i had filled up twice and consumed the whole petrol, and still that problem persists.
So i again i had gone to AVG yesterday and they finally checked the timing and told me that there was variation and they took it for a test drive and told me there was a small loss in pickup, and its a one day work minimum, and i had to take the car back, since i needed the car urgently.
Now i'm giving my car tomorrow morning, if anyone can pinpoint the problem or had similar problems, please help out, since i need the car back urgently.
I'm just afraid that running my car like this for the last 3 months, would have had any ill effects on my engine?
Another thing, since day one on purchasing this car i have had occasional problems with the gear, first the reverse gear would be very stubborn to fall, sometimes when i move to 3rd gear it just falls back to neutral, and sometimes after switching on the engine, and shift to first, the car would jerk like in buses, when they shift to first the whole bus will jerk with the gear. Everytime i give the car for service, they adjust the clutch, but still the problem persists.
Hope to see some inputs on this one.
Thanks.
[/SIZE]
Old 9th February 2007, 09:15   #14
BHPian

C'mon guys, how come no reply, i'm spacing my reply for u guys. I'm going to give my car to AVG now.

I had given my car to AVG, thiruvalla following the same problem, smell coming from the exhaust. I had given it to them like three weeks ago. One service guy like spend like a couple of minutes near the exhaust smelling the fume and told me that the smell was from the catalytic converter. Then he popped the hood, pulled the acceleration cable on the engine slowly, listening to the engine carefully, and he told me that there was no missing. I asked them to check the timing and they said that there was no need for that.

There explanation was that the petrol in my tank gets old and leads to improper burning. Earlier i would fill a full tank it stays like that for a month, till the next fill up to the brim. After i gave them the car that day, i had filled up twice and consumed the whole petrol, and still that problem persists.

So i again i had gone to AVG yesterday and they finally checked the timing and told me that there was variation and they took it for a test drive and told me there was a small loss in pickup, and its a one day work minimum, and i had to take the car back, since i needed the car urgently.
Now i'm giving my car tomorrow morning, if anyone can pinpoint the problem or had similar problems, please help out, since i need the car back urgently.

I'm just afraid that running my car like this for the last 3 months, would have had any ill effects on my engine?

Another thing, since day one on purchasing this car i have had occasional problems with the gear, first the reverse gear would be very stubborn to fall, sometimes when i move to 3rd gear it just falls back to neutral, and sometimes after switching on the engine, and shift to first, the car would jerk like in buses, when they shift to first the whole bus will jerk with the gear. Everytime i give the car for service, they adjust the clutch, but still the problem persists.

Hope to see some inputs on this one.

Thanks.
Old 9th February 2007, 10:22   #15
Team-BHP Support

catcon smell is common and its stinking not burning smell

timing a little bit of retarding or advance wouldn cause big harm

gear clash clutch adjustment and yes swift stories with clutch problems are loads in tbhp, so maybe refer to them

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks