Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2018, 02:16   #1
BHPian

Suzuki S-Cross: Bouncy rear suspension

We are a group of Suzuki S-Cross owners and have a healthy population that spans the length and breadth, top to bottom of the country. We love the car so much that the group is very active and pretty much our second family.

However, not everything about the S-Cross is perfect and we along with many 1.3L owners have been noticing a suspension concern, at the rear. Many owners have been experiencing bouncy, wobbly, springboard rides. Some have been noticing an uncomfortable ride when seated at the rear, cases of rear losing traction even when driven at moderate speeds etc.

This discussion has been dragging around for sometime now and some of us decided to get down to the bottom of the issue, with some basic bounce tests. Bounce tests were done on various cars.

The observations we got from the videos shows the rear was easy to compress and when released sprung back instantly suggesting that the shocks were not doing their job. The rear was oscillating after a couple of depressions and rebound sequences.
The video captured is below.

I am based in the U.A.E and we had a group member travelling to Dubai, so we both decided to meet and visit the Suzuki dealership.

We took special approval from the showroom manager as we had to do some under chassis inspection. Initially he was a bit skeptical, but he agreed and asked a security to keep an eye on our investigations.

We specifically checked the Vitara 1.6, because it shares the platform with our S-cross and has the same suspension components. Crawling underneath the car at the showroom when the customers and sales staff watching us was an embarrassing experience. I noticed the shock absorber is manufactured by 'KYB' and is manufactured in Czech republic.

We did the bounce test for this car and noted that the Vitara was definitely harder to depress and when released the rear did not spring back like the S-Cross. The suspension was firmer, well controlled rebound and absolutely no oscillations were noticed.

The Vitara felt totally different though it was supposed to have the same suspension parts as the S-Cross.

The S-Cross and Vitara are global vehicles in Suzuki's portfolio and we tried hard to find if there are instances of rear shock absorber problems from various Australian and European forums, but in vain. The shocks for the S-Cross are made by 'Gabriel India' and the shocks on the Vitara as stated earlier by KYB.

Disclaimer: Dear moderators, kindly move this thread to the relevant section if inappropriate.
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki S-Cross: Bouncy rear suspension-dvbo5333.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 29th November 2018 at 12:05. Reason: Spacing
CaliforniaKnight is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 05:52   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Suzuki S-Cross: Bouncy rear suspension

This must be that big Suzuki dealership on Sheikh Zayed Road right?

I do believe that the quality of components and OEM fitments that the Suzuki chaps use in Foreign countries vs what they use here in India, have inherent differences. Primarily because the standards are different and here in India they are trying to meet very tough price targets so as not to drive the costs up, which in turn will reduce their profit margins.

All part of the whole localisation drive as well. But it is true that in some cases, our Indian Auto Components do have a lower standard that the same ones which are produced abroad. In Maruti one can see the difference between SGP Parts and MGP Parts and the price of SGP is definitely significantly higher than MGP.

Last edited by navin : 30th November 2018 at 12:38. Reason: formatting
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 08:38   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight View Post
We specifically checked the Vitara 1.6,because it shares the platform with our S-cross and has the same suspension components.Crawling underneath the car at the showroom when the customers and sales staff watching us was an embarrassing experience.I noticed the shock absorber is manufactured by 'KYB' and is manufactured in Czech republic.
Thanks for this thread.

The Grand Vitara that you get in Dubai is most probably made in Hungary hence the Czech suspension. The S Cross is also made there.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 10:55   #4
BHPian

Hi,

Would like to add one more concern. During my second service at 20k, the MASS changed the front tie-rod (not under warranty) though I did not complain of any problem.

Later on found out that the same front right tie-rod was changed in many other cars too. Looks like another component failure which Maruti is hiding and punishing the owners.

When I complained about harsh ride, the reply was "Saar, its not harsh. Its the Bangalore Roads".

Girish
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 10:56   #5
BHPian

I picked up a pre-worshipped S-Cross 1.6 with just 10,000 on the odo. Link to the review. (CROSSing the line: My pre-worshipped Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha)

Until 30,000km the ride was excellent. Especially after 50km/h it was just awesome.

But right after my 30,000km service the ride quality dropped. The best word to describe it would be "CHOPPY". I doubted foulplay by the Nexa guys and even called them to confirm this .

The current status is: general ride quality is choppy and it feels worst on the back seat.

I tried to play with tyre pressures hoping to get some improvements but I am not able to get the ride quality back. I'm still on original JKs and would put a part of the blame on them, but I dont understand how, magically, the ride quality got bad.

I owned a Swift previously and I felt the same with the Swift as well - Choppy ride after 40,000km.

In the case of my Swift and S-Cross, the attitude of the service centre remains the same: Very choppy ride which the service guys never acknowledge.
benzinblut is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 11:17   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I was fully satisfied with suspension setup till 30k kms. I too faced the issue of bouncy rear after usage. I had pointed this out in my ownership thread too.

Dealer was ready to change rear shocks under warranty. But on inspection, the action of old shocks were as good as new. We felt there is no point changing the shocks and left it there. Need to do more analysis with service center.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 11:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

I will tell you a personal experience, not from the S-scross but from the Swift Diesel that I own but its has a lot of relation to what you guys are facing.

Some 20-25 thousand kilometers before, the rear shock absorber of my car was leaking, it had already run 1 lakh 40 thousand kilometers so there was no point in replacing just one, so I ordered 2 from online, while replacing them the spring was kept the same, the bump stops for the shock absorbers were replaced and I set out to test, the result?

First the ride height increased from the rear and secondly there is this peculiar kind of bump on the highway on the way to work> I used to take it everyday for about 3 years, so I knew exactly how it felt going over it. When I went over that at my usual speed, the wheels on the rear end, when they came on the hump they pushed immediately towards the down part before when it used to pass over this stretch, the car used to bounce 2-3 times before it settled. Now the wheels pushed immediately towards the ground and the car's rear steadies itself after that. What I also observed is that she sticks to corners now, it takes a lot to get the rear end to come out which before used to out itself even on hard panic braking.

What I suspect in your guys case is that the rear of the S-Cross has a softer suspension setup behind than the Vitara's, but this can be easily changed, all you guys need is a pair of aftermarket performance shock absorbers which are harder than the one's you already have, this will keep the rear end in check and you will get the feel that you need.

Last edited by navin : 30th November 2018 at 16:11. Reason: several typos, grammar and formatting errors.
humyum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 12:07   #8
BHPian

Just came back from a 1200 kms road trip to Himachal Pradesh. The odometer is at 94,229 kms. I haven't faced any issue with the ride quality of the car, for me it still remains as one of the highlights of the S-Cross.

I am still on stock JKs, my car tends to loose grip on hard cornering, but then it is due to the crappy tyres.
sinharishi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 12:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

This has an uncanny resemblance to what I am facing in my July 2015 Swift VXi. After around 28,000-29,000 kms, I found that my ride has gone sort of weird. Had put Bridgestone B290 185/70 R14 on stock rims when odo was at 1000 kms. Off late, I am able to feel each and every irregularity beneath surface of tyres. Initially, I thought I was well connected with car and this was normal as one is over observant on smallest of details in vehicles, but over a couple of months, realized that its to the point of being deprived of isolation from road surface. Started using Innova more since then while continuing to explore Swift's ride quality via different tyre pressures. It was of no help.

Whenever I travel in my friend's Wagon R that's close to 7 years old, I feel its noisier but has a surprisingly better ride than my Swift. Same was the case with my Wagon R. The stretches of road with smaller irregularities were earlier taken into its stride effortlessly by Swift, but now its on verge of being unnerving.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 28th November 2018 at 12:30.
Old 28th November 2018, 18:30   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This must be that big Suzuki dealership on Sheikh Zayed Road right?
I do believe that the quality of components and OEM fitments that the Suzuki chaps use in Foreign countries vs what they use here in India, have inherent differences. Primarily because the standards are different and here in India they are trying to meet very tough price targets so as not to drive the costs up, which in turn will reduce their profit margins.
All part of the whole localisation drive as well. But it is true that in some cases, our Indian Auto Components do have a lower standard that the same ones which are produced abroad. In Maruti one can see the difference between SGP Parts and MGP Parts and the price of SGP is definitely significantly higher than MGP.
Yes,Shankar.balan,this is the dealership located in Sheikh Zayed Road-Dubai.Honestly ,this is not the first time the international or SGP trumping the MGP.I have had this concern from my Esteem days.The quality check abroad combined to the law suits make sure the consumer isn't taken in for a ride.Sadly, the same is yet to catch up in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Thanks for this thread.
The Grand Vitara that you get in Dubai is most probably made in Hungary hence the Czech suspension. The S Cross is also made there.
Hi Ajmat, Pleasure's mine.The newer Vitara and the S-cross are both manufactured in Hungary.However, the Grand Vitara is made in Japan, atleast for the UAE market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Hi,
Would like to add one more concern. During my second service at 20k, the MASS changed the front tie-rod (not under warranty) though I did not complain of any problem.
Later on found out that the same front right tie-rod was changed in many other cars too. Looks like another component failure which Maruti is hiding and punishing the owners.
When I complained about harsh ride, the reply was "Saar, its not harsh. Its the Bangalore Roads".
Girish
Hey Girish, Thank you for bringing that to our attention. I have been hearing this from multiple owners now.Noting your case too.Dealerships are just loaded and they just want to get rid of customers by cracking a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
I picked up a pre-worshipped S-Cross 1.6 with just 10,000 on the odo. Link to the review. (CROSSing the line: My pre-worshipped Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha)
Until 30,000km the ride was excellent. Especially after 50km/h it was just awesome.
But right after my 30,000km service the ride quality dropped. The best word to describe it would be "CHOPPY". I doubted foulplay by the Nexa guys and even called them to confirm this .
The current status is: general ride quality is choppy and it feels worst on the back seat.
I tried to play with tyre pressures hoping to get some improvements but I am not able to get the ride quality back. I'm still on original JKs and would put a part of the blame on them, but I dont understand how, magically, the ride quality got bad.
I owned a Swift previously and I felt the same with the Swift as well - Choppy ride after 40,000km.
In the case of my Swift and S-Cross, the attitude of the service centre remains the same: Very choppy ride which the service guys never acknowledge.
Hi benzinblut,Trust me the car is a beast to drive and to be driven in.Most cases reported is same as your vehicle mileage,after 30000km.Lets see, how the same can be resolved.We are waiting on test reports and then we need to confirm if the 'Gabriels' are at fault.
PS: Are you a member of the 1.6 exclusive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I was fully satisfied with suspension setup till 30k kms. I too faced the issue of bouncy rear after usage. I had pointed this out in my ownership thread too.
Dealer was ready to change rear shocks under warranty. But on inspection, the action of old shocks were as good as new. We felt there is no point changing the shocks and left it there. Need to do more analysis with service center.
Hi Dr.Naren,thank you for your inputs and do keep us in loop for any update that you may have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I will tell you a personal experience, not from the S-scross but from the Swift Diesel that I own but its has a lot of relation to what you guys are facing.
Some 20-25 thousand kilometers before, the rear shock absorber of my car was leaking, it had already run 1 lakh 40 thousand kilometers so there was no point in replacing just one, so I ordered 2 from online, while replacing them the spring was kept the same, the bump stops for the shock absorbers were replaced and I set out to test, the result?
First the ride height increased from the rear and secondly there is this pecular -_ kind of bump on the highway on the way to work, I used to take it everyday for about 3 years, so I knew exactly how it felt going over it, when I went over that at my usual speed, the wheels on the rear end when it came on the _, they pushed immediately towards the _, before when it used to pass over this stretch, the car used to bounce 2-3 times before it settled, now the wheels pushed immediately towards the ground and the car's rear steady itself after that, what I also observed is that she sticks to corners now, it takes a lot to get the rear end to come out which before used to out itself even on hard panic braking.
What I suspect in your guys case is that the rear of the S-Cross has a softer suspension setup behind than the Vitara's, but this can be easily changed, all you guys need is a pair of aftermarket performance shock aborbers which are harder than the one's you already have, this will keep the rear end in check and you will get the feel that you need.
Hello humyum,The issues you have raised has a very close relation to what we are facing.Yes, at times during panic braking the rear seems to be loosing it and steps out of line.This should never happen and like you pointed is the case for soft suspension set ups. Vitara and S-cross has the same part numbers for the shock absorbers at rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Just came back from a 1200 kms road trip to Himachal Pradesh. The odometer is at 94,229 kms. I haven't faced any issue with the ride quality of the car, for me it still remains as one of the highlights of the S-Cross.
I am still on stock JKs, my car tends to loose grip on hard cornering, but then it is due to the crappy tyres.
Hi sinharishi,glad to know you haven't been a victim.But do observe it.These things are given a back seat because of the enthusiasm the car feeds you back in the form of mad power surge,turbo kick etc. All the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
This has an uncanny resemblance to what I am facing in my July 2015 Swift VXi. After around 28,000-29,000 kms, I found that my ride has gone sort of weird. Had put Bridgestone B290 185/70 R14 on stock rims when odo was at 1000 kms. Off late, I am able to feel each and every irregularity beneath surface of tyres. Initially, I thought I was well connected with car and this was normal as one is over observant on smallest of details in vehicles, but over a couple of months, realized that its to the point of being deprived of isolation from road surface. Started using Innova more since then while continuing to explore Swift's ride quality via different tyre pressures. It was of no help.
Whenever I travel in my friend's Wagon R that's close to 7 years old, I feel its noisier but has a surprisingly better ride than my Swift. Same was the case with my Wagon R. The stretches of road with smaller irregularities were earlier taken into its stride effortlessly by Swift, but now its on verge of being unnerving.
Hello aaggoswami,Yes after reading your case it reminds me of our friend Mr. Yuga's case which he raised in 2016.Would you be able to read and comment later,if its the same feeling you get with your swift? read Post#5389.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...eview-360.html (Maruti S-Cross : Official Review)
Old 29th November 2018, 01:10   #11
BHPian

continued from the original post.

One of the most anticipated launches from MSIL was the 320 DDis variant of the S-cross in comparison the 200 DDis,the reason being the latter was around for some time and many wanted a shift.
When you take handover of a new car, whatever brand it may be, the chances are you will enjoy the features, the space,the performance and safety of the car and not be keeping an ear to know if the suspension is irregular.Even if you do notice anything like that, you may rub it off thinking ' its a new car maybe the suspension components too need a run-in.
The first 3 months of your honeymoon is over with the car and now you are kind of familiar with the sweet spots of the car, the power from the engine, the turbo lag and kick.But the original worry of the rear suspension still bothers you.
This is what happened to an ex Team-BHP member who was known by his handle'greatmana2000'.He mentioned about the same in the below link,post#5379:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...eview-359.html (Maruti S-Cross : Official Review)
Apart from him, there were couple of other member who noticed this issue.

We contacted KYB group, the SGP supplier for the S-cross suspension internationally. They shared with me the KYB product PDF file,where the s-cross is highlighted with the necessary part number.
Suzuki S-Cross: Bouncy rear suspension-img_7068.jpg
Attached above is the KYB PDF.

With the help of another friend, we tracked the compatibility of the European S-cross and the Indian S-cross and bingo they are a safe match!
Suzuki S-Cross: Bouncy rear suspension-img_7074.jpg

Below you can see a demonstration of a 40,000km run S-cross 1.6 rear shock absorber and its duty:

If you notice the shocks are stuck.The shock absorbers are gas filled ones and when compressed they are supposed to return to their original state,but sadly they do not.There is no oil leak on the shocks as well and the A.S.S will deny warranty if there is no oil leak,even if the shocks are not working optimally with most of the complaints.

The next video is of a similar shock absorber from a different car of a different manufacturer-Honda city. This is also a used car with apporx 46,000 km on the Odo. Can you notice the difference?Apologies for the twisted recording.

To check the damping and the rebound, the mechanic tried to compress the shock and it was firm to compress.This implies that the shock has good damping.The rebound is controlled and slow just as it should be.

Now have a look again above, on the s cross shock.The difference is very clear and evident.

Owners of Scross/Swift/Brezza/Ertiga, if you feel a doubt on the rear suspension of your car, I kindly request you to perform a bounce test and let me know.

We also have a friend who is changing both rear shocks and the coil springs,and we are eagerly waiting on a report.
CaliforniaKnight is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 06:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight View Post

The Vitara felt totally different though it was supposed to have the same suspension parts as the S-cross.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=IBBT...V&index=3&t=0s
Isn't the vitara a 4 wheel (all Wheel) drive car? I can see the rear drive shaft in your video ? I don't think it's fair comparing a 4 wheel drive car with a 2 wheel drive S cross!
There is going to be a huge difference in the entire suspension set up.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 08:34   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Isn't the vitara a 4 wheel (all Wheel) drive car? I can see the rear drive shaft in your video ? I don't think it's fair comparing a 4 wheel drive car with a 2 wheel drive S cross!
There is going to be a huge difference in the entire suspension set up.
Hi Captain Slow,The Vitara isn't actually a fully blown '4WD' with a Low range transfer case,instead its an AWD vehicle.They name it as 'ALLGRIP'.
Grand Vitara on the other hand is a 4WD.

The AWD/2WD vitara shares the same suspension components with the S-cross,and is also available internationally with the same ALLGRIP systems.
CaliforniaKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 08:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

As a new Scross owner (6 weeks old), I am almost bracing myself for a mid term experience of rattles and poor suspension.

I would be the last person to defend any car manufacturer. I have normally seen that part quality for Indian cars is pretty poor. As mentioned by others it could be to ensure low prices, considering we pay almost the price of the car in taxes. In my case, the car price from the company was around 6L and I ended up paying more than 12L (around 45% tax just to arrive at the ex showroom price and remainder in road taxes and insurance).

I have also seen many of my friends upgrading their suspension within a few years. This is across manufacturers (VW/ Honda, etc). I am not sure if this is due to part quality or road quality (lack of in both cases ). Perhaps it is time to buy a new piggybank for the suspension upgrade in a couple of years' time.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 09:56   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
As a new Scross owner (6 weeks old), I am almost bracing myself for a mid term experience of rattles and poor suspension.

I would be the last person to defend any car manufacturer. I have normally seen that part quality for Indian cars is pretty poor. As mentioned by others it could be to ensure low prices, considering we pay almost the price of the car in taxes. In my case, the car price from the company was around 6L and I ended up paying more than 12L (around 45% tax just to arrive at the ex showroom price and remainder in road taxes and insurance).

I have also seen many of my friends upgrading their suspension within a few years. This is across manufacturers (VW/ Honda, etc). I am not sure if this is due to part quality or road quality (lack of in both cases ). Perhaps it is time to buy a new piggybank for the suspension upgrade in a couple of years' time.
Hey selfdrive,congratulations on your new S-cross.
No doubt the car is brilliant,only let down only by some parts vendors.
I have given some info on testing your suspension,when you get some free time try it for yourself and make a note.
Yes tax kills the tax payer and is pretty frustrating back home.
We are at the moment analysing options from Suzuki for the suspension possibilties.Keep your eyes glued to this tread and thank you for putting down some words.
PS:We have a massive group running specific for all s-cross related.Pm me for more information.
CaliforniaKnight is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks