Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2007, 21:21   #1
BHPian

lpg on maruti baleno...(advice)

guys, i have a maruti baleno.. my fuel bills rising day by day.. so got an ultimatum from dad, either to control my usage or go for a lpg kit. i opted for the latter option so going for the lpg kit to vitesse on thursday. it comes upto 32000 incl. everything (warranty intact). i dont want pick up and all over performance to suffer. is there any special thing that i should mention to them so the performance does not suffer??? help!!!

p.s.- the car has done 8500kms.

mods, i know a lot has been discussed on the lpg thingy but there is nothing so specific to lpg on the baleno
Old 17th January 2007, 00:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

contact gigy. He has been doing good with LPG on Baleno. I feel 32K is high for the install. What is the kit's brand?

I also doubt the warranty claim since Maruti clearly states that Engine warranty is lost if a LPG kit is installed even if from an authorised dealer.
Old 17th January 2007, 14:37   #3
BHPian

I have been using an lpg kit on my baleno for one year- there is no drop in performance at all- - - I agree with mail4ajo - the price IS high- market price is 20k + 1k for RTO.
Old 17th January 2007, 16:17   #4
BHPian

they have come down to 31000 incl. insurance and r.t.o. my main worry is the 3.5 yr warranty nd if we do the job with them then warranty intact. 1 of my uncle fit a lpg kit on his esteem from outside, was charged 22000 incl. everything. he lost his warranty plus he is getting a f.e. of only 7kmpl. the car has also lost a lot of power eespecially on slopes. we drove the lpg esteem in which kit was installed by vitesse nd neglegible loss of power. he himself was surprised by it.
so after considering warranty, very less power loss, quality of product and service opted for vitesse...
Old 17th January 2007, 17:58   #5
Team-BHP Support

price is very much on the high side...

Are you sre warranty will be intact... Please get this written from them... You can never trust what they say by word of mouth...
Old 17th January 2007, 18:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocoguy4u View Post
they have come down to 31000 incl. insurance and r.t.o. my main worry is the 3.5 yr warranty nd if we do the job with them then warranty intact.
Price should be ideally about 20K +-Rs1000. Please get the warranty gaurantee down on paper. I understand vitesse is a Maruti dealer. What is the LPG kit being used? I also learned that Maruti dealers are not authorised to perform LPG conversions as the kit is not MGA. If dealers could, and the WagonR duo kit was sold as MGA, I would have walked to them.

Clarify all this before you move ahead....

Quote:
1 of my uncle fit a lpg kit on his esteem from outside, was charged 22000 incl. everything. he lost his warranty plus he is getting a f.e. of only 7kmpl.
This could be a case of a badly tuned kit or installation. Technically, the mileage in LPG mode would be 1-2 kms less than in petrol mode.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 17th January 2007 at 18:28.
Old 17th January 2007, 19:13   #7
BHPian

yes, sure will take it in writing from them about the warranty part.
its a brc kit..
by the way should i tell them to tune the engine in such a way tht no drop in performance with lpg??? if yes, what should i tell them???
Old 17th January 2007, 21:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
its a brc kit..
The cost of the BRC kit alone is about Rs. 17,500. The other costs would be labour, RTO approval etc.

The kits are factory tuned. However you can ask the installer to tune your kit for better pickup. Be prepared to lose mileage for increased performance.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 17th January 2007 at 21:21.
Old 17th January 2007, 21:31   #9
BHPian

warranty

Apra auto in gurgaon does cng fitting on all MUL cars @ Rs.42,000.. yes 42000. They give in writing that the warranty is not void if the fitting is done by them. They dont do LPG though
Old 17th January 2007, 23:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivmarwaha View Post
They give in writing that the warranty is not void if the fitting is done by them.
I just cannot understand how the dealers manage this? Maruti has cleared stated that warranty is void if an alternate fuel is used. I checked with their call centre several times before I converted to LPG.
Old 17th January 2007, 23:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I just cannot understand how the dealers manage this? Maruti has cleared stated that warranty is void if an alternate fuel is used. I checked with their call centre several times before I converted to LPG.
Well Ajo it's quite simple infact. Consider this, if there is a problem in your dealer fitted LPG/CNG car who does the claim on parts failed during the warranty? The same dealer of course! So if he doesn't reveal to MUL that the car has been converted by him to alternate fuels there is no problem is there?

Good way for them to make loads & money & still keep the customers happy.
Old 18th January 2007, 00:40   #12
BHPian

As far as using lpg in baleno...no problem.....but cost seems to be high....its aroound 20 to 22 k....

Correct setting is important for getting best out of lpg otherwise there is loss of power as well as FE.....
Old 18th January 2007, 12:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Well Ajo it's quite simple infact. Consider this, if there is a problem in your dealer fitted LPG/CNG car who does the claim on parts failed during the warranty?
I tried to sell this idea to 4 maruti dealers in chennai to convert my car to LPG. They just would not budge. They rejected it outright. I guess in the North, dealers are bolder.
Old 22nd December 2008, 17:07   #14
BHPian

Which LPG kit and where to go for it ?? for a baleno !!

hello guys

I have a 2006 model Baleno Vxi black. It has just done 10k kms and I plan to go for LPG as I foresee an increased usage of the beauty from now on

The car is registered and used in hyd, and I plan to drive it down to bangalore on jan 3rd after getting the LPG fiitted on to it and registered with the RTO !!

I have no idea as to which Kit to look for and what suits best for the car without dropping much power and FE. While reading through the forum I could figure out there is something called sequential KIt for MPFI engines and that would not make much drop in power and FE.
How far is it true ? what is the cost of such a system ? How long would it take to get it installed and complete the RTO process ( just a guess or estimate is enuff)
Finally.. the big question is Where to get it installed ? I will be very greatful you guys if you can help me finding out a good or known place/garage to get it installed without much headache since i ll be driving it down to bangalore for a long time after that ..
Thanks in advance guys.. plz help me
Old 23rd December 2008, 08:28   #15
BHPian

I have used LPG before and I was contemplating one for my Lancer earlier. LPG if not done properly can totally mess up your engine. If at all you fix one go for Star Gas Sequential Gas kits nothing else. These are expensive prob 45k the last time I checked. Sequential Gas Injection kits are what come on the CEDIA. Although that's a BRC I would recommend STAR.

Unless you are going to use the car a lot you are not going to make back that money that's the reason I stuck onto petrol as I hardly drive more than 1000 Kms a month. But if you want to get the benefit of LPG first acess your KM's for at least a month or you would hardly see any profits from the venture. Dont let the lower price per liter fool you you are shelling out 45K in advance.

If you dont recover the 45K in a year or two (The time I figure you will keep the car) you are literally spending for the next owner who is not going to reimburse the cost. I have done the math some years back and trust me you need to gauge the KM's at least for a month before you jump. Also please change your engine oil to one specifically for Gas as the engine temp gets raised. I did find that SHELL (will have to confirm) has engine oil specifically for LPG. Please check out the SHELL lineup for details

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks