Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2019, 10:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Brand new Hyundai Verna: Annoying clatter between 1,500 - 2,200 rpm

Am posting this on behalf of one of my closest friends. His relative, Mr. Sanjeev Shah who is a CA by profession, bought Hyundai Verna 1.6 diesel automatic Top trim on 26-02-2019 from Downtown Hyundai, Vadodara. His VIN number confirms the car from 2019 production. Mr. Sanjeev Shah is based out of Vadodara.

Since delivery of his car, he has been observing a rather annoying clatter from around 1500-2200 rpm. It happens during normal driving and disappears with heavier throttle input. But the clatter is definitely there that again disappears after 2200 rpm. The refinement of vehicle further make this noise more apparent and irritating. And this is the rpm zone where the car would be ambling along in urban environment.

I did drive the car and can confirm this rather odd noise that was bugging me after a few kms. The constant on and off clatter was getting uncomfortable

Feedback has been provided to Hyundai and sales person did call up asking owner to drive test drive vehicle and confirm if same noise was present in test drive car or not. IIRC this noise wasn't present when I test drove Verna.

Has anyone else faces this issue? What could be the reason for such noise ? I feel it's the engine and not gearbox. What could be the resolution, owner is expecting either a refund or replacement. This is his 5th Hyundai car from same dealer, DownTown Hyundai. As per the owner, the salesman sometime in October 2018 admitted that there is some problem and hence the purchase of car was postponed till Feb 2019.

Am in touch with my friend for regular updates.

Attached Thumbnails
Brand new Hyundai Verna: Annoying clatter between 1,500 - 2,200 rpm-ruvp-vin.jpg  

Brand new Hyundai Verna: Annoying clatter between 1,500 - 2,200 rpm-img20190316wa0061.jpg  

Brand new Hyundai Verna: Annoying clatter between 1,500 - 2,200 rpm-img20190316wa0062.jpg  

Last edited by aaggoswami : 17th March 2019 at 22:47.
aaggoswami is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 08:14   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Brand new Hyundai Verna: Annoying clatter between 1,500 - 2,200 rpm

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Technical Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 08:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I am afraid I don't hear any extraordinary noise that is unexpected of any common rail diesel engine. The typical clatter should reduce in intensity with age and carbon buildup.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 09:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

I used to own the manual (new version). I would observe a fair amount of clatter at lower rpms in lower gears and the car would become quieter on highway at higher speeds and higher gears ie 4th and above. If you think that the clatter is on the higher side the car would be under warranty, set an appointment with the dealer and get it checked out. To whip the dealer to get up to speed with the investigation kindly send out a mail to Hyundai India with the issue and also call their helpline and the dealer will come running to you himself and ask to get the car checked out at the earliest.

Use below email Id's to send mail to Hyundai.

crservice@hmil.net, cr@hmil.net

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 18th March 2019 at 09:34.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 11:55   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thats injector clatter, difficult to make out if it is normal or not. Only way to check is to compare it with another car of same make and model. If it is excessive, first thing to check is if there is any air that has got into the system, if so bleed it off. This is a relatively easy process. Otherwise will have to check one injector at a time to rule out any malfunctioning.

Having said that I also believe it is most likely normal, as mentioned by SS-Traveller and it would fade off as the car runs more.

One more easy fix to reduce is use additives like liquimoly, they really reduce the noise from the injectors.
Jaggu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 11:58   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel the noise is on the higher side. You should get it checked from HASS and compare it with another Diesel Verna
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 12:15   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Since delivery of his car, he has been observing a rather annoying clatter from around 1500-2200 rpm.
I think it's better to wait for the car to clock some more kilometres. It is around ~500 kms on the odometer as seen in the videos. Give the car some time to bed-in.

I know it is going to be difficult to ignore that clatter but passing judgement and looking for solutions in just 500 kms isn't right IMHO.

Also, keep a check on fuel quality. Should make lots of difference to clatter.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 13:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

I don't think a Hyundai diesel in general has this much clatter. This is almost like some VW injectors.

Even when I bought my Micra diesel, I was sceptical on increased injector clatter compared to other Micras. Took it couple of times to the service centre but they said it's normal and let me compare with other cars; it was definitely more than the other cars but only slightly. Now a brand new Ameo in our residential area have more than the normal VW clatter. But I don't know why it happens only to few cars.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 18:28   #9
BHPian

My Hyundai elite i20 diesel (2017) has this same problem ( actually it is not a problem) since the day I got the car. It is indeed sound from fuel injectors.Hyundai diesel engines (1.4 and 1.6) produce this particular sound between 1500-2000 rpm. At first I was really worried and showed it to Hyundai service centre. They said it is normal and all cars has it. I drove two i20s and two Verna's during last year; all of them has this issue. So nothing to worry I guess. My car is at 53000km and everything is fine as of now.

I have observed similar injector noise/clatter in Volkswagen 1.6 diesel engine (vento) also. Only difference was in VW sound was more coarse and louder than Hyundai.

Hyundai uses Delphi injectors. May be something related to these injectors ( they are not as robust as Bosch injector according to experienced mechanics and known to be more sensitive to fuel quality). No idea about the make of fuel injector in Volkswagen diesels.
DrANTO is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 18:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I think it's .... Should make lots of difference to clatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I am afraid I don't hear any extraordinary ...carbon buildup.
When I test drove Verna, which also had low odometer reading, this noise wasn't apparent. But a few more kilometres should make the picture more transparent. Will inform my friend about fuel quality though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I don't think a Hyundai diesel in general has this much clatter. ... But I don't know why it happens only to few cars.
Exactly our concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I used ..net
Thanks for the Email ID, I will ask my friend to take the case forward on these. Your observation is spot on with what we are facing : clatter at low rpm, nothing at idle and nothing at higher rpms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Thats injector clatter, difficult to make out if it is normal or not. ... injectors.
Will ask my friend to consider bleeding. We do hope it fades away but that will take sometime. What's more bewildering is the fact that sales person did mention some concern beforehand in October 2018. As I mentioned above, when I test drove Verna, this clatter wasn't there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrANTO View Post
My Hyundai
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I feel the noise is on the higher side. You should get it checked from HASS and compare it with another Diesel Verna
As of now, a couple of feedbacks were taken, one via call and another in person through dealer. No response or solution from them yet. I guess we will again be taking it up with dealer.
During my 1.5 years of Grand i10 diesel ownership (Feb 2014 till end of July 2015) I wasn't having this rpm related clatter.

Last edited by Samurai : 19th March 2019 at 23:11. Reason: typo
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 02:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrANTO View Post
Hyundai uses Delphi injectors. May be something related to these injectors ( they are not as robust as Bosch injector according to experienced mechanics and known to be more sensitive to fuel quality). No idea about the make of fuel injector in Volkswagen diesels.
This is an interesting observation - my 2013 Verna had Bosch common rail and injectors. And I've never faced any NVH with the engine until I parted with the car 3 months ago, even after 100,000 KM.
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 16:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

I am pretty much sure this sound isn't abnormal per se. When compared to the VW series this is hardly any diesel clatter. As most of us know, diesels do have their inherent clatter or the injector clutter sound. Most diesel engines have a low speed clutter, the same falls true for India's Engine, the Fiat 1.3 M-jet that does duty on our Swifts and Tatas and what not, you will hear a "karakakara" sound clearly when the RPM climbs from lower to higher and the exact RPM you mentioned.

The reason some find the clatter a little irritant is the ECM needs some time to learn the trims, especially on a new car, and then post which and after a few thousand kms more, the sound should settle to an extent.

It should be troublesome if you hear the same sound throughout the rev range, and the sound progressively increasing with respect to the RPM. If that isn't the case, nothing to worry about.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 13:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the email id @sumeethaldankar, Mr. Sanjeev Shah has received an email from Hyundai.

Attaching the image. Hope this is a better experience than my own experience with Hyundai.
Attached Thumbnails
Brand new Hyundai Verna: Annoying clatter between 1,500 - 2,200 rpm-sanjeev-shah-verna-problem-22032019.jpg  

Last edited by aaggoswami : 22nd March 2019 at 13:13.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 10:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

There is no updated from Hyundai for the concern except a call claiming that the "noise" is normal.

But Mr. Shah demanded that it be in writing, which he hasn't' received yet. This story is going the way my experience went. On call I was told "will not be", and in writing it became "may not be".

Below is the email sent to Hyundai on March 28, 2019.
Attached Thumbnails
Brand new Hyundai Verna: Annoying clatter between 1,500 - 2,200 rpm-sanjeev-shah-verna-problem.png  

Old 1st April 2019, 11:39   #15
BHPian

It doesn't look normal for Hyundai CRDI.

Quick check- Try fuel from a reputed pump. Also try "premium" diesel.
Next- Check the injectors. You need to get beyond the service advisors and ask specifically for that.
Also try an OBD scanner. There are many error codes with Hyundai that won't light up as "Check engine". Make sure you see it yourself.
WhiteKnight is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks