Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2022, 00:40   #46
BHPian

Re: My BMW 520d breaks down

I own a made in 12/2012 F30 320d. The other day my BMW service advisor, after walking near my engine bay, told me he could hear what seems to be the beginning stage of the timing chain rattle. The engine was warm, and the coolant temperature read 100 degrees. I am unable to distinguish this sound from the engine noise. The car is currently at 82,000kms. He gave me a rough estimate of around 1.3lakhs inclusive of labour for changing the timing chains, tensioners etc. I asked him if there was any goodwill from BMW, to which he said no.

To be sure, I took my car to another independent mechanic to assess the sound, and he said the same. I've called on BMW India's customer care and asked them regarding goodwill for this, to which they said they would get back in 3 days after an investigation. The vehicle has a full service history with authorised BMW dealers. Fingers crossed. I think I can hear a very feeble slack chain noise on a cold start, but 5 minutes later, that goes away.

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd July 2022 at 04:49. Reason: Please proofread before posting.
georgesunnyt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 04:52   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesunnyt View Post
I took my car to another independent mechanic to assess the sound, and he said the same.
It's a wear & tears part though 80,000 Km is too early. Drop BMW India an Email and see if they can support you with some discounts. I won't drive the car if it is indeed the noise from the timing chain as the results of any breakage can be catastrophic, resulting in damage to the engine. Nor will I suggest you go aftermarket unless you have access to genuine parts and are sure of the technical capabilities of the workshop.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 10:05   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
It's a wear & tears part though 80,000 Km is too early. Drop BMW India an Email and see if they can support you with some discounts. I won't drive the car if it is indeed the noise from the timing chain as the results of any breakage can be catastrophic, resulting in damage to the engine. Nor will I suggest you go aftermarket unless you have access to genuine parts and are sure of the technical capabilities of the workshop.
Bmw authorised dealer offers a 2 year unlimited km warranty on the changed parts. If I'm getting it done, it'll be through the authorised dealer for peace of mind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks