Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2019, 15:53   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My BMW 520d breaks down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The latter end of the period for faulty timing chains was 2011.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006...gine-2007-2009.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
N47 engines up to 2011 had a faulty timing chain. If that's what happened to your engine, push for a goodwill repair from BMW by showing them the other cases of premature failure around the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
As mentioned in this link about rattling noise, the noise was there in my car.
You have a very, very good case for repairs under goodwill warranty as it was a known defect with the model. Bring this to the service advisor's notice and also take it up with BMW India. If not 100% of the cost, they must bear a fair part of it.

This is the main reason I recommend buying European cars only once they're late in the product lifecycle.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 14:47   #17
BHPian

looks this there is a service bulletin released by BMW on the N47 cam chain / guide and its documented right here on tbhp.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...320d-520d.html (Attn: BMWs with N47 engines (320d / 520d))

BMW N47 service bulletin 2015.pdf

This might help you Pawan.
nitrogary is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 15:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
looks this there is a service bulletin released by BMW on the N47 cam chain / guide and its documented right here on tbhp.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...320d-520d.html (Attn: BMWs with N47 engines (320d / 520d))

Attachment 1883608

This should be only helpful if the service center agrees that its not performed this recall on his car, if they say that they have performed this recall then his case is only be considered under goodwill.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 16:02   #19
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1883608

Note that the bulletin applies to E60 5-series (among others), not the F10, even though the engine family is the same. It's possible the F10 had a different bulletin.
d3mon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 07:59   #20
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1883608

This is the service carried out at 76000 KMs, there is no mention of any work related to chain tensioner or timing chain. Service adviser saying he is in talk with showroom managers requesting to fix the issue at lower cost.

My BMW 520d breaks down-bmwservice.png

Last edited by pawan_pullarwar : 11th June 2019 at 08:02.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 13:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the service carried out at 76000 KMs, there is no mention of any work related to chain tensioner or timing chain. Service adviser saying he is in talk with showroom managers requesting to fix the issue at lower cost.

Attachment 1883836
Did they get back to you?

Pramod
Old 14th June 2019, 14:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Note that the bulletin applies to E60 5-series (among others), not the F10, even though the engine family is the same. It's possible the F10 had a different bulletin.
Mine is N47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Did they get back to you?

Pramod
Last mail I received from service centre, they were clarifying that the damage is not due to earlier service. The current repairs comprises of engine noise and is not related to EGR cooler hence we cannot conclude that engine repairs are consequential damage for earlier repairs.

I replied them saying that I never said current problem is due to earlier repair/service done. As suggested by service adviser that engine head needs to be open for further analysis. After opening the head if the issue is related to timing chain or tensioner, in that case, I request you to consider the repair under goodwill, without charging us for the repair.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2019, 16:18   #23
BHPian

After I sent them BMW Service bulletin related to timing chain/tensioner, I received below reply from dealer. Still they have not confirmed whether they will repair it as goodwill or not.

Dear Mr Pullarwar,

Good Afternoon!

This is in reference to our below email.

We have acknowledged your feedback regarding the vehicle. The repairs related to the timing chain /tensioner shall be checked during our inspection and further shall be informed to you accordingly.

With reference to the engine related repairs, we are still awaiting an approval from your end. We request you to kindly accord your approval so that necessary repairs can be initiated.

We look forward for a affirmative reply.
Old 17th June 2019, 13:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After I sent them BMW Service bulletin related to timing chain/tensioner, I received below reply from dealer.
They have replied to you in very diplomatic tone, ask them your question specifically, let them reply. Else they will use this opportunity to sandbag you.

Pramod

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th June 2019 at 20:59. Reason: Reduced quoted portion for the convenience of mobile users. Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 14:26   #25
BHPian

Quote:
They have replied to you in very diplomatic tone, ask them your question specifically, let them reply. Else they will use this opportunity to sandbag you.

Pramod
Yes, they are anyway has to inform/check the repair related to timing chain/tensioner. I replied with below mail.

Can you please confirm that after approval from us, and once engine head is open, if it is found that the issue is related to timing chain/tensioner, BMW will repair it as a goodwill, without charging us for the repair?

Edit: By the way if I google BMW 520d breaks down, this page is shown at top of google search.

Last edited by pawan_pullarwar : 17th June 2019 at 14:28.
Old 17th June 2019, 15:46   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can you please confirm that after approval from us, and once engine head is open, if it is found that the issue is related to timing chain/tensioner, BMW will repair it as a goodwill, without charging us for the repair?

Have you heard back from BMW India direct? I will suggest you take the dealership route instead of showing it outside as it's maintained well and let them have a look at what all things are bad. Once you have the estimate then perhaps you can ask Dealership to involve BMW India and take their help. By my experience, Dealers will hardly support from their margins, you should keep little expectations to the extent of them taking your case sympathetically with BMW India and in turn, BMW approving some rebates for you.

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th June 2019 at 15:59.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 18:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

I would sincerely suggest you to get things cleared before you ask them to touch the car, My friends e60 530d was water locked and it cost him close to 4 lacs to get it rebuilt outside the BMW A S S. The quote he received from BMW was 10 lacs. Its better to get these clarified.

I had almost made up my mind to get a e90 320d, but stories like these are the ones stopping me. Another question that kills me is, what is the use of the BMW pre purchase inspection if they failed to check a failing timing chain?

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 17th June 2019 at 18:15.
Old 18th June 2019, 07:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Have you heard back from BMW India direct? I will suggest you take the dealership route instead of showing it outside as it's maintained well and let them have a look at what all things are bad.
BMW India is involved in all the mails. Also sent them BMW's bulletin on timing chain. All the maintenance is done at BMW, that's the sole reason I bought this car. Everyday I am requesting on their facebook and twitter page to look at the issue, but I guess BMW India redirecting it to dealer.

Quote:
I would sincerely suggest you to get things cleared before you ask them to touch the car.
Pramod
Yes, I would prefer to get it clarified from BMW then only I will ask them to open it.
Old 19th June 2019, 12:21   #29
BHPian

Today I received call from Service Manager. According to him my car is not listed for Timing chain related maintenance recall. So, he is saying BMW will not honour any goodwill on my car.

Then I asked him, according to his experience and symptoms, what could be the reason. So according to him it could be could be a bent crank-case/shaft, which is indirectly related to timing chain only.

But I was able to drive car few meters after I heard that noise. If the timing belt had broken the car should have died immediately.

Is there a way to check if my car comes under recall? As of now they are offering 10% discount which is peanuts for BMW cars.
Old 19th June 2019, 13:01   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Is there a way to check if my car comes under recall?
Voluntary recall information is available on SIAM Portal. For BMW only entry is present for 2018 and 2019 models.

Link :http://www.siam.in/siam-voluntary-re...1&pgidtrail=84

Edit: You can also check for recall at below BMW India website using VIN

Link : https://bmwindia.com/bmw-campaign

Last edited by Who_are_you : 19th June 2019 at 13:10.
Who_are_you is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed