Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2019, 10:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pitstop, doorstep car servicing - Any experiences with them?

To avoid the horrible experiences at the car workshops and to avoid ruining a weekend for the workshop visits, Pitstop a new start up has started the door step car repair and servicing in Bangalore and Delhi NCR. Founded by Mihir Mohan it aimed to reinvent the entire way people get their car serviced by giving quality assurance for genuineness of parts, creating a fair and transparent ecosystem, providing service at economical price and bringing convenience at the touch of fingertips.

https://www.getpitstop.com
Their Tagline "Gharpeservice" seems to be apt for the services being provided

Their major services for any vehicle are
1) Inspection
2) General Services
3) Repairs
4) Body Repair
5) AC Top up

Pitstop has completed over 80,000 four-wheeler repairs across both doorstep and garage-based repair options since its launch in early 2016.

Currently, Pitstop has over 175 garage brands across the country and over 150 independent mechanics on its platform. It has plans to hire over 5,000 mechanics in the coming months and operate mobile repair vans, and stocks four-wheeler repair parts as well.

Their door step repair services are available for vehicles from 32 manufacturers, however not all models from the manufacturer feature in their website.

Pitsop is diversifying into Motor Insurance for which they have captured data points from on-board diagnostic (OBD) devices, gravity meters, AC sensors, and other vehicle tracking devices and will be used to customize Pitstop’s insurance product for its customers.

The company is currently working with motor insurance firms for a commercial launch, according to Mohan. Apart from this, a user’s driving behaviour captured from OBD devices and other car sensors will also be used to determine policy renewal price, as well as for insurance claims.

“Currently, Pitstop’s insurance product is in beta test mode, we will announce a full-fledged launch in July," said Mohan.

https://www.livemint.com/companies/n...103787404.html

Mods: I haven't experienced Pitstop, this is only based on the information available on Internet. Request you to kindly post this on an appropriate thread.
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 09:31   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pitstop, doorstep car servicing - Any experiences with them?

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Technical Stuff. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11th December 2019, 17:37   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
To avoid the horrible experiences at the car workshops and to avoid ruining a weekend for the workshop visits, Pitstop a new start up has started the door step car repair and servicing in Bangalore and Delhi NCR
My colleague owns a Chevrolet Optra. Most of the company service centers are shut in India. So, he had used the services of Pitstop couple of times and is very happy.

It takes close to 3 hrs to do the service. They are prompt to arrive, connect the diagnostics computer to the car and check all parameters. Will change only those fluids that has to be changed. Last time, his bill was around 4,500. He inquired with them if they can change the timing belt but they replied that the car has to be taken to their service center for doing that.

Over all, good service in front of you at much cheaper rates.
B103 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 17:58   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I saw a PitStop GharPeService Maruti Van in my neighbourhood the other day while walking about in the evening.
I’m not sure which car they were actually servicing - maybe they had just arrived there.
But the van seemed packed with all sorts of important and fussy looking equipment!

I am sure they will be super for all the normal mass market automobiles since parts are easy to procure and the technology and expertise is available commonly in the mainstream.

But I am not very sure about how they will tackle servicing and parts of the less commonly available cars and whether they have the expertise to do those cars.

I will investigate a little further into these chaps.
Old 7th July 2020, 11:08   #5
BHPian

I recently availed their services for my Santro Xing as the interior had started getting mouldy and damp. They thoroughly cleaned the entire interior and disinfected it. The total cost came up to ₹699.
The guys were prompt and did a good job.
Old 25th August 2020, 20:37   #6
BHPian

My 15 year old Skoda Octavia 1.8 Turbo rider needed annual service. Taking it to Authorised Service Station (ASS) does not make sense here, so decided to get it done at my home. I considered WheelsWisdom but they stopped offering to take the cars to ASS, instead they do it in multi brand service centers.

In Pitsop, two kinds of periodic services are available, Basic oil change and Complete service. I went for complete service.

What is included (as per their website)?
Engine Oil Is Drained And Replaced
Oil Filter Replaced
Air Filter Replaced
Spark Plugs Are Cleaned In Case Of Petrol Vehicle
Coolant Is Replaced Or Filled
Brake Oil Is Replaced
Brake Pads Are Removed, Cleaned And Placed Back
Exterior Eco-Wash(Water Less Wash)Interior Vacuum Cleaning
Dashboard And Tyre Polishing
Vehicle Current Condition Is Diagnosed And Reported

Booked the service in their app scheduled for 22 Aug saturday 8:30 am. The app updated my booking by assigning a technician a day before. At around 8 am, the technician called to inform that service is not possible today because some of the items are not available. Rescheduled it for next day morning. But later on he calls and confirms he can come at 3:30. Guy (lets call him M) promptly arrives at 3:30 pm in a Maruti Eeco loaded with items accompanied by another guy R.

R asks for car keys, goes in, releases the bonnet lever, opens the bonnet goes back starts engine and races it immediately. This being a turbo petrol my heart skipped a few beats. Kept running for few mins to warm up the engine. I read somewhere that warming up a little before oil change is a good practice.

Then he opened the engine cover. Checks here and there and asks what is the mileage. When told 95k kms, he says timing belt needs to be changed else there will be newer problems down the line and complaint will come back to them. It completely surprised me. R offered to get it done on the same day in a garage known to him and then change the oil else the oil will be wasted if done later. But I was in no mood for his comments and mainly was afraid of his competency. Asked to go ahead with agreed upon services. He agreed after a few tries.

Lifted up the car with jacks. No jack stand. Went underneath, removed oil drain nut and started draining out oil.
Meanwhile changed air filter with a VIKA model. Part number matches with the outgoing Mann filter.

With a transparent pipe and using mouth he sucked out coolant from the reservoir for 700-800 ml. Cleaned the pipe by whipping it on the ground several times and then used it for brake oil. This time removed around 200-250 ml of brake oil.

Refilled 1 liter coolant from a bottle of Hella brand. Topped up brake oil from a bottle of TVS Girling DOT4 fluid few times until the level didn't go down anymore.

By this time M started with vacuum cleaning the interiors.

Then R sprang the surprise. He was about to pour new engine oil. When asked him did you change the oil filter he said what he brought along is a paper filter and does not match for my car. I was like what .

He thought he could go ahead without changing oil filter nobody notices it. Stopped him then and there. Told him to get a filter else not required. He tried to mumble something but when I refused to budge he agreed to come next day with the oil filter and finish the job. Meanwhile refilled the drained out oil and left.

Day 2: M came at noon to continue the remaining part, without R. He brought in a Chinese oil filter and said it will work. Drained oil and after removing the existing filter he found that the chinese model is different. Called someone to bring the correct model. Another guy came and delivered a Purolator brand filter. Meanwhile the car was up on jack. Had to insist again to bring down the car to level ground so that all residual oil is drained out.

Filled 4L of 10W-40 Shell Helix oil. Started the engine and kept it running for some time to check for leaks.
Lifted the car again on the jack to remove the wheels for brake servicing. Just had a look at the brake pads and commented these are good. Did not do anything else. On hindsight I am glad he didnt tinker with the brakes, I didn't have any confidence in him. I asked him to apply grease in the wheel hub. A month back when I tried I could not remove the alloy wheel from the hub, after removing the nuts, as the wheel was completely stuck in the hub.

Did not do any checking of spark plugs. Although it was clearly written it will be done for petrol vehicles.

Vacuum cleaning: Brought a big Bosch cleaner and it did a good job in the interiors.

Exterior water-less wash: Did an okay job with some unknown liquids brought in bisleri bottles.

Dashboard polish: Did a okay job.

When reminded they did not clean the wheels, he again brought out some unknown liquid to polish the tyres and the wheels.

Scanning: Using wireless OBD scanner, started the OBD app in his mobile and showed there were no DTC codes present. The reports later came to me in the app as pdf files.

Finally he marked every task as completed in his app and asked his boss to complete the process. Notification came in my app that service is completed and amount to be paid. Online payment was hassle free.

M then pushes me to rate him 5 stars.

Conclusion:
Will I go for it again? Probably not.
Will I recommend others? For common cars and only for oil change, it is a good option.

Now the questions:

Does it help if some coolant is removed from reservoir and refilled with new?
Does it help if some brake oil is removed from reservoir and refilled with new?
Skoda recommends 5W40 fully synthetic oil. I was given Shell Helix 10W40 synthetic. Will there be any adverse effects?

Update: Drove the car today first time after servicing. There was krrrr sound coming from engine driver side while taking turns. Looked underneath and saw a plastic part under the serpentine belt is broken and hanging free. It touches the belt on taking turns. Most likely they put the jack in the wrong place while lifting the car and broke its brackets.

Emailed Pitstop to attend to it at the earliest.
fordday is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 14:56   #7
BHPian

Front bumper denting & painting service cost shown in PitStop app was 1.8K. I booked the same.

On said date a driver picked up my car, no details of this driver were uploaded in the app hence I didn't know if this one was a genuine PitStop driver or not (It was genuine but process miss was evident and made me nervous).

Driver took my car to the showroom, after 3 hours I get an email that bumper cannot be fixed as bracket is broken and a new bumper would be needed, revised cost will be 5K.
I rejected this new quote and asked them to send my car back, for next 6 hours there was no revert from the. Finally at 7PM I called an asked for my car and they said there was a miscommunication between them and workshop and my car can only be sent the next morning, I was disappointed at this but had no choice. Next day local mechanic welded bumper bracket and painted my bumper for 1.5K.

So overall was expecting a professional fuss free experience but instead got an underwhelming nervous experience.

In future may try PitStop doorstep car servicing but avoid other services in future.
k_gpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 12:07   #8
BHPian

Has anyone used other services? Like GoMechanic or MotoFyx for car servicing?
Old 23rd November 2020, 20:45   #9
BHPian

Anyone recently used them in Bangalore? Is this recommended to do a regular service of i10 car?
Old 23rd November 2020, 21:10   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Anyone recently used them in Bangalore? Is this recommended to do a regular service of i10 car?
You can go for it provided you are there all the time to check on the work done. They can resort to shortcuts if you are not there.
fordday is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 14:26   #11

Hi All,

My 2013 Maruti Swift Zxi has only done 15,400 km till date and is due for the yearly service this month (December). Since the last service on 31/12/2019, it has only done around 3000 km. Since the running is so less, I dont want to go to any MASS for the servicing as they do unnecessary stuff and charge a lot for GST, etc. I was looking for other options and came across GetPitStop with their doorstep service offering. I have purchased Shell Helix HX8 5W-30 engine oil from Boodmo (costed Rs. 1529) and mentioned to the pitstop call center lady that I dont want their engine oil. They agreed and quoted Rs. 2000 for the basic service at home - just wanted to know whether to go ahead with this? I am from Bangalore and wanted to know if any fellow BHPians recently availed this facility in Bangalore. Post the service, I am planning to get the Wheel Alignment/Balancing work done from Madhus at Wilson Garden. Any inputs would be appreciated. Thank You.
Old 17th February 2021, 17:59   #12
BHPian

I used these guys to service my i10 which was lying unused for a few months. Opted for full service by raising the request in the app.

Name:  pitstop2.png
Views: 2739
Size:  93.4 KB

The crew calls in the morning and informs that they can come early and I agreed. I took my car to the visitor parking area of our apartment and the Pitstop guys - a supervisor and a mechanic, quickly started their work.
Pitstop, doorstep car servicing - Any experiences with them?-pitstop.jpg

They do only waterless washing and he was quick to point out that the body is too dusty to do waterless washing. I too agreed, but was hoping to get interiors vacuumed.

The oil filter gave a nasty surprise as they could not remove it. They tried with all fancy tools they had, but the filter did not budge. Kept trying for 45 mins and gave up. They promised to come back next day and try again. Re-filled the drained oil and they left.

The next day the they brought another crew along (in second van). The other van had a better tool - like claws to grip the filter. Success finally and it took some might to remove the filter.

Other stuff like brake cleaning, air filter replacement, battery checks, obd scans were done quickly. Then they dropped the next surprise - they can't do the interior vacuuming because its part of the cleaning package and they will cancel it together. It was odd, but I agreed and I was promised a refund.

• Fully equipped van with jacks, tools including generator for power requirements. I saw a medium size air compressor too.
  • Genuine spares used. Tie up with Shell for engine oil.

Dislikes:
  • Expertise of service center missing. Like any multi brand service, the technicians will be in the mode of learning on the job with vehicle specifics - tools, working gaps, etc.
  • No feedback mechanism through app, no feedback calls till now.
  • Washing/cleaning is a hit or miss.

I paid a around ₹2200 for the service (includes a referral bonus and a HDFC offer). I found them to be ok for general periodic service. Next time may be I will do only oil change service with them.

Last edited by bejoy : 17th February 2021 at 18:18.
bejoy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 12:24   #13

My experience with Pitstop, to put it mildly, has been nothing short of an ordeal.

I scheduled a regular 50k service for my Ertiga VDI on a Monday morning at 8:30 AM in Hyderabad. I got a call from them on Sunday evening during which I confirmed the booking.

They (a couple of guys) arrived 90 minutes late on Monday at 10 AM. I checked with them whether they have all the parts necessary to carry out the work to which they responded in affirmative. I stood by their side all along, and 45 minutes into the job, I noticed them getting busier on the phones. When I inquired, they coolly responded that they are waiting for the oil filter to be delivered by a colleague. By then, the engine oil was fully drained and oil filter disposed. And that imaginary colleague never turned up. Then, one of them asked if he could borrow my two-wheeler so that he could go out and procure the oil filter. As I didn't have a two wheeler, he ended up driving off in his van only to emerge an hour later with the news that he couldn't procure the oil filter. All along, I tried contacting their customer service and I couldn't get through to them even once. I called up the service coordinator who confirmed my booking the previous day, and he started reasoning that oil filter (MGP filter used in Swift, Ertiga, Dzire etc) is not in stock across Hyderabad (seriously?). And it was already well past noon. On giving him piece of my mind and making it clear that I won't pay up for whatever work they had done thus far, if the job is not completed by 2:30 PM, somebody magically turned up with an oil filter at 2 PM.

So, what should have been a simple one and a half hour job (8:30 AM - 10:15 AM was the slot given to me), turned into a 6 hour ordeal leaving me stranded without a car. Lesson learnt, I will stick with my friendly FNG/Authorized center in future.

For those, who want to give them a shot, some of my observations

1) For the more discerning folks, they do not necessarily use manufacturer recommended oil grades. For instance, as per the manual and the Maruti engine oil thread on this forum, 5W40 (A3/B4) or 5W 30 (A5/B5) is recommended for Ertiga Diesel. They used Shell 10W 40 (A3/B4). I didn't bother much as we had an old Dzire and a Swift with the same engine that came with 15W 40 recommendation. However, it could be a challenge with, say Honda Diesels, that require A5/B5 C2 rated oil.
2) When I received the confirmation call on Sunday, I specifically asked for Maruti Genuine Parts (Air Filter, Oil Filter & Fuel Filter) as they are easily available in the market. I mentioned that Fuel Filter also has to be replaced to which they agreed for an additional charge. However, the mechanic, who turned up in the morning said that he doesn't have the tools to replace fuel filter.
3) On inspection, it was found that cabin filter needs to be replaced. Not surprisingly, they didn't have it handy.
4) They don't use water for cleaning (they did mention this up front). So, expect the area under the hood and the car to remain dirty. They vacuum clean the interiors and wipe the surface of the car with a wet cloth (and some chemicals). So, if you like your car to look clean, a wash is still needed after their service.

Despite being extremely comfortable with my FNG/MASS, I wanted to give them a shot based on some positive feedback although I did notice a drop in their ratings in the recent past. If executed well, door step services offer great convenience (Eg: Swiggy, Big Basket etc). Not the case with Pitstop, as yet.

I will keep an eye on this thread to see if things improve. But, for the time being, I will stay away and let others decide for themselves partly based on my experience.
Old 15th August 2021, 10:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

A friend was looking for an Oil change for his petrol Figo -
PITSTOP seems to have different information on the same page!

On the FAQ section - it says 6 months or every 10,000KM.
Pitstop, doorstep car servicing - Any experiences with them?-go-1.jpg

On the WHEN IS IT NEEDED ?
It says 5000 KM or Every 3 Months is recommended by car experts ?!
Who are these experts?
Pitstop, doorstep car servicing - Any experiences with them?-go-2.jpg

Figos owner manual clearly says - 10,000KM or 1 year!
Old 6th September 2021, 11:11   #15

I had one of the worst experiences with getpitstop. My Honda City was showing the malfunction yellow light on the dashboard. I got an appointment fixed with getpitstop to help diagnose the issue. So these guys have tie ups with local garages. I was asked to go to Perfect Car Care in section 18, Gurgaon.

The guy at the service center told me that an electronic scan would cost Rs. 750 (pretty hefty for just a scan). Since I had little idea about the price, I agreed. On scanning it was found that one of the ignition coil was faulty. The person told me that it a new one would cost (OEM) would cost Rs.6,000 and he would get it fixed in 15 minutes. I agreed and that is when the ordeal began.

After waiting for an hour, the guy told me that it is taking time to get the part and I can leave after paying the Rs.750. I requested him to get me the bill at least to which he said it was not in his hand and I should get the bill from getpitstop directly. He plainly threatened and told me that I cannot leave before paying. Anyway, I paid and left.

I went to the shop on the opposite road and conveyed my issue to Mr. Sunil of German Automobiles. To my surprise, he quoted Rs.300 for scanning and labour work, and Rs.5100 for the original ignition coil. He got the part on an urgent basis from his dealer and I was ready to go within 15 minutes.

My conclusions were:
1.Avoid getpitstop where possible. I tried complaining to them of the issue but it was to no avail.
2.It is best to directly visit some service centres and enquire about the services and price. You might be surprised with the differences in service levels and price.
3.When getting a part replaced, do check the packing. Usually, there is a bar code which will let you know whether the part is compatible with your vehicle and what the MRP is.

Thank You!

Most Viewed