Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2019, 11:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: 2014 VW Vento 1.6L Diesel: Sell or Repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
That is exactly what the Service Executive told me. That the leaking coolant deteriorated the timing belt. In his words, "You HAVE TO replace this. You have no choice." I was aware that the it's not time yet to replace it, but I had to adhere to what the exec told me.

I just got a call from VW NCR-East, and they say that the car is ready to pick up. I had given it yesterday, that was fast! Like a kid, I am excited to drive it again.

As suggested by you excellent blokes of the Team-BHP community, I am indeed keeping the car. Thank you all for your valuable advices. Any happenings with my Vento, I shall you updated.
Let us know about the suspension. Please post the bill here with parts pricing if possible.
Old 8th August 2019, 11:58   #17
BHPian

@2000rpm

Will do. So far, I have held off the suspension overhaul, have only asked to replace a few parts of it that seemed an absolute must.

Btw..Noob question here:

What's FNG?

Last edited by nutcracker : 8th August 2019 at 12:00.
Old 8th August 2019, 12:22   #18
BHPian

Quote:

Btw..Noob question here:

What's FNG?
FNG stands for friendly neighbourhood garage and there is a directory for FNG's in Delhi and I would suggest it is a simple german machine and not as complex as BMW and the likes, so you should try an FNG for your car. FNG are the garages which are recommended by Bhpians.
revvharder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 18:51   #19
BHPian

Re: 2014 VW Vento 1.6L Diesel: Sell or Repair?

Here is the copy of my bill. Came to a total of ₹ 25,000.
Was around 29k, bargained and got a discount (I'm a loyal customer and both my VWs are serviced/repaired here).

They have suggested a lot of other work, most of it do with the suspension (Link Rod, Shocker Mount Bearing). The Contr Arms, also a part of the suspension were an absolute must (as suggested by mechanic) so I got it replaced. In the next service, I'll get the suggested work done.

Also, like I have been suggested on this thread, I might try some FNGs for my suspension. Any leads on some good ones in East Delhi?

Next, my Polo is about to hit 90,000 kms, which means it is due for its 6th service. The VW reps are telling me that they will change the timing belt on the Polo too. I'll keep you posted on the updates of that too.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 VW Vento 1.6L Diesel: Sell or Repair?-img_2864.jpg  

2014 VW Vento 1.6L Diesel: Sell or Repair?-img_2865.jpg  

Last edited by nutcracker : 8th August 2019 at 18:57.
nutcracker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 19:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Do not sell the car!!

I own a 2011 VW Polo 1.6 Petrol and I don't have the heart to sell it even after 07 years as it still drives like a dream!! The key is timely maintenance.

Quote:
A grave mistake was made by my dad (although his intentions were good ), who got the 5th service done from a local mechanic rather than a VW workshop. Since then, my car is having small niggling issues (Had purchased a Polo along with the Vento. The Polo runs impeccable because I drive it almost exclusively and maintain it myself too).
A grave mistake indeed!! My 2011 VW Polo 1.6 and my 2010 Skoda Yeti are both out of warranty but their annual service is always done at the authorised service centre.

Quote:
Water Pump replacement needed - ~₹ 6,500
Timing Belt replacement needed - ~₹11-12,000
Suspension overhaul - ₹ 50-60,000
These jobs can be done at a good and professional mechanic. You need not get this done at an authorised service centre. However, ensure that the parts are original and original parts means you will not save any money in this regard. And, original parts means a 02 year warranty. The only area where you will save a bit is in the labour. You will definitely be paying less for labour at an independent professional workshop as compared to that at an authorised service centre. But please ensure that the independent workshop is familiar with German cars.

Now that you got a quote from the authorised service centre, you can get one from a professional workshop and compare the difference. Take a call depending on what you feel is worth it.

All major mechanical work on my Polo and Yeti is done at an independent workshop. A suspension overhaul for the Yeti cost me around 70k where as an estimate from Skoda was around a lakh.
Epic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 20:03   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the copy of my bill. Came to a total of ₹ 25,000.
Was around 29k, bargained and got a discount (I'm a loyal customer and both my VWs are serviced/repaired here).

Cars these days last for a long time if taken care of .

As a preventive measure, change the thermostat and the radiator cap at around 7 years mark . Flush and refill the cooling system if not done for a long time. This will ensure that the car's cooling system remains in ship shape.
Old 9th August 2019, 09:48   #22
NTO
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians

We purchased a Vento 1.6 Diesel in 2014 (the Highline model). Till now, it has served us a good 5 years, and 87,000 kilometers.

What do you think?
I have a Vento highline 1.6 diesel from 2014. I would keep the car till it completely falls apart or until the government enforces some regulations just for the 1.6 TDi motor. No other engine in the segment can satisfy the driver as much.

The problems you've quoted are very normal for a car that has done 87000 kms. Especially the suspension, in Team BHP itself there are a handful of people who had to overhaul the suspension in 50 - 60K kms.

My car is approaching 70K kms and I am sure next service will set me back by 70 - 80 K just by reading the recommended service manual instructions. Also, the resale value of Vento is not something to write home about. So, the biggest benefit you'd get is the loyalty bonus, a good price from the market slump. But you will end up overpaying for almost the same car with deteriorated part quality and an inferior engine (purely my opinion, no offence to anybody owning a 1.5 TDi). I would suggest, spend the extra bucks, give a thorough detailing inside out and keep the car. She should be good for another 100000 kms at least.

Still, if you are taking the plunge and buying a new car, keep us posted.
Old 9th August 2019, 10:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Still, overall I am not of the opinion to sell the Vento, because principally, it is "decently" maintained, and in general a good, comfortable car to drive - the driving experience on the Vento is much pleasurable than say, the Cities and Vernas. But I want to make a decision that is also practical. What do you think?
As suggested by many I would recommend you to hold on to it for some time. 2019 vento is same as yours except few gizmos apart from that its mechanically identical. Timing belt and water pump are part of periodical service. Previously I owned a Vento and I know it's a good machine. Wait for the latest Vento with updated platform later you can switch the machines. Until then have fun with the machine
Old 9th August 2019, 11:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

It looks like you have decided to keep the car given that you are getting the repairs done.

I would also recommend anyone to continue to keep any existing Diesel car especially given the confusion over the future of diesels. If you decide to sell your car then, in today's date everyone scares you over buying another Diesel car!

Due to these, I would recommend keeping the car for another 2-3 years...I have a 2014 Honda City Diesel and I am planning to keep it for another 2-3 years as well.

Let these confusing times pass - let BS VI kick in (Apr 2020)...let the fuels change and then lets see if the Hybrids/Electrics come in...(hopefully by Apr 2021 or max by April 2022 we should see some affordable Electric/True Hybrid models)....

Meanwhile munch the miles happily...
Old 9th August 2019, 14:30   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Water Pump replacement needed - ~₹ 6,500
Timing Belt replacement needed - ~₹11-12,000
Suspension overhaul - ₹ 50-60,000
A rod that holds the shockers needed to be replaced too.
Well, most people here are telling you to delay the timing belt change. BUT, in Vento, water pump is run by the timing belt. So its prudent to change the timing belt while they will be removing it for the water pump. Why have your engine worked on twice. Also water pump leak might have damaged or reduced the life of timing belt, IF the belt came in contact with the coolant.

For suspension job, change only what is required. You can get all the spares at Kashmere Gate and have it changed at any FNG.

PS - Also check if the ASS charges separate labour for both the jobs(pump and belt). Negotiate with them if they charge separate. I always ask for discount on spares and negotiate labour charges at Hyundai ASS, and they almost always oblige.
Old 9th August 2019, 14:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the verdict is already out so I will just tell you something about the timing belt

My FNG guy here is an expert and he told me that timing belts should be changed at the right time as they can cause serious damage to the engine if it snaps while the car is running at medium to higher revs. But according to him, there are some tell-tale signs of timing belt wear, like weird engine noise, knocking with poor power delivery etc which will start creeping in before it snaps.

Not sure why VW gave a timing belt instead of timing chain like Fiat's MJD. It does have its advantages.
Old 9th August 2019, 14:58   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Looks like the verdict is already out so I will just tell you something about the timing belt

My FNG guy here is an expert and he told me that timing belts should be changed at the right time as they can cause serious damage to the engine if it snaps while the car is running at medium to higher revs. But according to him, there are some tell-tale signs of timing belt wear, like weird engine noise, knocking with poor power delivery etc which will start creeping in before it snaps.
What I have heard from dealerships, FNG and read on the internet is the complete opposite. Timing belt snaps with no indication at all and must always be changed according to or well before the set interval. Visual inspection of the timing belt is not a good way to check either. The result of timing belt snapping while driving is catastrophic for sure and the cost of timing belt change a few thousand kms earlier is nothing to be worried about. It's a rubber belt so age matters too, not just number of kms.

I'd rather change the timing belt and live a peaceful life than worry about it, even if it means doing it 20k kms ahead of manufacturer recommendation, as long the number of years (7+years) justifies it.
shankarbn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 14:58   #28
BANNED

Change the timing belt along with the water pump. If you plan to keep the car for another 40-50k km, it is better to do it now. The suspension may be done if it gives you a serious problem
Old 9th August 2019, 17:09   #29
BHPian

I have already changed the timing belt and water pump. Have posted my invoice too. It is post #19.

Last edited by nutcracker : 9th August 2019 at 17:12.
Old 10th August 2019, 13:28   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I have already changed the timing belt and water pump. Have posted my invoice too. It is post #19.
Then you have truly cracked all the nuts and no longer need to sell the car for the next 7 years
shankarbn is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks