Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2019, 14:20   #31
BHPian

Re: 2014 VW Vento 1.6L Diesel: Sell or Repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankarbn View Post
Then you have truly cracked all the nuts and no longer need to sell the car for the next 7 years

Let's hope for the best. I am committed to treating my cars with utmost reverence. My only fear is the drivers we hire.
nutcracker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 23:40   #32
BHPian

The 1.6D is a cracker of an engine, personally I wouldn't let it go till it turns unreliable. I don't see yours being one, I would suggest you keep it.

If you intend to drive it, maybe remap it & turn it into a monster.
Venkat_Figo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 23:57   #33
BHPian

I had a 1.6D for four years, sold it after it clocked 1.20L kms. My father-in-law bought his in the early 2012, has it still and has run very little around 60k in 7 years, the maintenance bills are higher due to low running, I never spent half of what he has in my 1.20L km run. But every time I drive that car, it's just really good, even after they detuned it after the scam. The midgear accelaration and the way they pull in the ghats, my duster 110 is no match to this beast.

Just keep it, you'll regret once you buy another.
kanna.sridharan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 01:10   #34
BHPian

As any car approaches the 1L kms mark, there are quite a few expenses that show up- give or take a few thousand kms on things like driving style, the roads and sheer luck.
This is the time when the pockets are hurt!

Be prepared for clutch replacement anytime in the near future. Rear suspension can also take a hit and the rear brake pads.

These are cyclic expenses. They show up close to a certain mark, get them done and the car stays good for the same mileage. Some other parts may break in the meantime.

Keep on pampering and keep on smiling.
Old 4th September 2019, 07:30   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
Here is the copy of my bill. Came to a total of ₹ 25,000.
My 2013 Vento 1.6 TDI HL showed low coolant level on Saturday and I took it to the Showroom yesterday morning.
They checked and said there is a leakage of the coolant from the water pump. The coolant has leaked on to the timing belt and would have damaged it. I was quoted the exact amount you were !
Is this something that always happens together or do I smell a scam?

Any way, I have coolant loss and so I agreed to have it fixed as the timing belt kit change is also due. My car has run 111,000 km and still puts a smile on my face whenever I drive. Only the suspension work needs to be done, but I haven't asked them the estimate as yet. I hope to get it done soon as there aren't any reliable FNGs here.
Old 4th September 2019, 11:33   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
My 2013 Vento 1.6 TDI HL showed low coolant level on Saturday and I took it to the Showroom yesterday morning.
They checked and said there is a leakage of the coolant from the water pump. The coolant has leaked on to the timing belt and would have damaged it. I was quoted the exact amount you were !
Is this something that always happens together or do I smell a scam?

Any way, I have coolant loss and so I agreed to have it fixed as the timing belt kit change is also due. My car has run 111,000 km and still puts a smile on my face whenever I drive. Only the suspension work needs to be done, but I haven't asked them the estimate as yet. I hope to get it done soon as there aren't any reliable FNGs here.
Sunsetorange, you issues are EXACTLY the same as mine . I can reassure you that this is not a scam. It's been about 3 weeks since I had this problem. I refilled the coolant myself to test before spending the money to repair, in a short while the coolant leaked and the engine heat up sign appeared. Also, my Vento was having a chronic problem where the AC would keep tripping. Got the AC and the compressor checked, everything was OK.

Finally I got the timing belt and water pump changed, both the issues were gone. I really didn't expect the AC problem to go away but it did. Also, replacing the water pump is needed since it is leaking, this is an issue in Ventos that have run 70-80k kms. You've maintained your car well since you're having this problem beyond 100k kms.

With the timing belt, the specified life of the belt is around 120k kms, and say if your timing belt goes bad and you're still driving the car, the damage will transfer to the engine and engine will need to be opened. So I would recommend you change the timing belt, better safe than sorry, and as is, your robust Vento has the mileage to warrant a timing belt replacement!
nutcracker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 12:19   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
Sunsetorange, you issues are EXACTLY the same as mine . I can reassure you that this is not a scam. So I would recommend you change the timing belt, better safe than sorry.
I had asked them to go ahead yesterday evening and am hoping the car is ready by evening today.

It is not only my daily driver , but is also our family car on long trips. It is one truly fill and forget car, with a range of nearly 1000 km on the highways.
Old 4th September 2019, 14:03   #38
BHPian

Maybe I am a little late to this thread, but how come the water pump for a vento is costlier than my Jetta's. Vento water pump is quoted at 6.5K whereas I paid 3.5K (though this was at a FNG). Does that include labor charges?
Old 4th September 2019, 16:54   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Maybe I am a little late to this thread, but how come the water pump for a vento is costlier than my Jetta's.
The water pump costs around 2000 odd as per the post no 20 in this thread. Coolant and flush would cost some more. Taxes would make up some more.
Old 8th September 2019, 11:57   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Update: Post the water pump and timing belt changes, the AC wasn't cooling well. Got it checked again and they found out that the compressor was weak and that the condenser had a block in the dryer unit.

Changing all this involves quite a lot of labour and the total estimate is bout 35k !

My love for this car is ruining me financially!
Old 11th December 2020, 23:43   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Update: Post the water pump and timing belt changes, the AC wasn't cooling well. Got it checked again and they found out that the compressor was weak and that the condenser had a block in the dryer unit.

Changing all this involves quite a lot of labour and the total estimate is bout 35k !

My love for this car is ruining me financially!
How did you go with this? I’m asking as I have 2014 Rapid & would like to understand what the long term expenses could turn out to be. But truth be told, I recently took her out to Hyderabad from Bangalore & she drove like a dream. No signs of aging at all, infanct the engine feels better than it did when new... the 1.6 TDI is truly a masterpiece! Although I’m worried I might not find a good replacement even if I decide to sell. Just love the way it pulls on open roads even today, new age BS6 diesels may not live up to this gem of an engine. Ah the dilemma!!!

Last edited by suhas_raj : 11th December 2020 at 23:50. Reason: Incorrect
Old 24th December 2020, 21:20   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhas_raj View Post
How did you go with this? I’m asking as I have 2014 Rapid & would like to understand what the long term expenses could turn out to be.
I went ahead with all the repairs and got her back to full fitness.The total damage was about 55k. Was it worth it? A spin on the highway had me grinning as ever!
I am about 5'10" and 110 kg. My ankle turned dodgy and I finally had to part ways with the hard clutch. Just before the lock down I exchanged her with the BS6 Ford Ecosport diesel. My wife now drives the Ecosport while I now drive her Polo GT TSI.
The 1.6 TDi is a gem of an engine. Every time I drive the Ecosport on the highway, I miss the Vento. Enjoy it while it lasts, it might even be the last diesel you own!
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks