Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2019, 23:36   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Did Maruti advertise it as Leather Wrapped steering in its brochures? If that's the case, then it is clear cheating by providing PU wrapped steering.
Yes it's mentioned as "Leather Wrapped Steering" in official brochure. But for the leather seats, there is a note that it may contain man made material.

Since nothing as such is mentioned for steering, is it genuine leather ? A fellow S-Cross owner who did flame test says it's genuine leather. If true, this is unacceptable..genuine leather peeling off
Old 28th August 2019, 23:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Yes it's mentioned as "Leather Wrapped Steering" in official brochure. But for the leather seats, there is a note that it may contain man made material.

Since nothing as such is mentioned for steering, is it genuine leather ? A fellow S-Cross owner who did flame test says it's genuine leather. If true, this is unacceptable..genuine leather peeling off
Technically it is "Genuine Leather". Genuine leather is a term used to define leather made with a mix of original leather and artificial material. Do a google search for the term Genuine Leather to get a better idea. You could see this term widely used in Shoe, Hand Bag market and items with genuine leather is much cheaper than pure leather product.

Genuine leather peeling off is very common since such leather products normally will have a coat of PU or similar materials on the top side on the leather. Pure leather do not peel off since there will be no such coating on the top surface.

Last edited by Holyghost : 28th August 2019 at 23:50.
Holyghost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 00:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Shocked to see such lack of quality from MSIL! And the S Cross is a premium product!

I'm glad the leather-wrapped steering on my 12.5 year old Fiesta still looks and feels new.

Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!-img_20190828_230410.jpg
vnabhi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 01:23   #19
BHPian

I am an s-cross owner. I decided to get the most expensive steering cover from MGA as I bought a zeta model and leather wrapped steering was the only feature I sorely missed. For Rs 880 I got a steering cover that started chipping the same day. At service centre they replaced it with another piece that started chipping by the time car was done being Serviced. So they sent their guy to my home next day to replace it again but similar story. The QA head at Nexa service gave me assurance via email that the price will be adjusted in next service invoice. Below pics belong to the first cover. Rest had more or less same condition within a day or two.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!-img_20190629_154826.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!-img_20190629_191700.jpg  

PrashantPahwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 09:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

If this is the quality that MSIL is offering with a target to vendors for additional 2% cost reduction every year ! We are going to get "made to cost" products.

That reminds me of a recent incident - when a friend told me that the rear window glass is thin (after replacement) in his 2010 Swift; I was not ready to believe him. But this seems to be very much the case between the original glass thickness in 2010 vs in 2018 when he got it replaced as MSIL vendors must have played with glass thickness over all these years; as there would not be any other way to reduce cost of rear window glass !

Amazing Maruti !

Last edited by i74js : 29th August 2019 at 09:35.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 10:21   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
If this is the quality that MSIL is offering with a target to vendors for additional 2% cost reduction every year ! We are going to get "made to cost" products.
Absolutely!

For example the front cabin lamp lens are intact in my 2011 SX4 while it fell off in my 2015 Baleno . But, they are available as child parts and dirt cheap to replace
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 11:51   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
That reminds me of a recent incident - when a friend told me that the rear window glass is thin (after replacement) in his 2010 Swift; I was not ready to believe him. But this seems to be very much the case between the original glass thickness in 2010 vs in 2018 when he got it replaced as MSIL vendors must have played with glass thickness over all these years; as there would not be any other way to reduce cost of rear window glass !

Amazing Maruti !
I have first hand experience on this. We have a 2007 model WagonR at home and my brother has a 2017 model Swift. The WagonR has thicker window glasses compared to the Swift. But at the same time, WagonR has thinner window glass than my 2015 4th gen Honda City. Even in my father-in-law’s 2015 Ritz, the window glass is too thin that it almost feels like the a plastic sheet (yes a little over exaggerated). I understand now, ‘you get what you pay for’. I have compared the plastic thickness and window glass thickness between my City and my brother’s Swift and yes it was shocking. Maruti uses plastics which have a slightly shinier look, which in turn makes someone believe and feel it’s premium.

Last edited by pavi : 29th August 2019 at 11:52.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 18:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
The only option from Maruti is to replace the entire steering wheel paying from our pocket and I think that will cost around 7-8k. Affected owners are getting custom leather wrap which works out cheaper than replacing the steering wheel
When i bought my Zeta, the one significant thing i missed from the Alpha was the leather steering which felt of good quality then. That said, I would have probably been in the same boat had i bought Alpha.

On a related note, any idea whether it is possible to get the XL6's flat bottom steering installed on S-Cross. XL6 has cruise control as well so it might be compatible!

Last edited by djkher : 29th August 2019 at 18:54. Reason: typo correction
Old 29th August 2019, 18:56   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkher View Post
On a related note, any idea whether it is possible to get the XL6's flat bottom steering installed on S-Cross. XL6 has cruise control as well so i'd imagine it should be compatible!
The steering wheel is same as Swift but with cruise control. We had successfully installed the Swift steering in Baleno. XL6 steering would mostly fit S-Cross. Stay Tuned
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 10:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Full leather steering to awful leather steering in three years; welcome to the world of cost cutting and "made to cost" components in auto sector specially by Suzuki.

There were issues reported by members regarding the tow hook failure in the face-lift S-Cross and now the steering.

Should we be worried out the crash-worthiness of S-Cross in India? Indeed we should.

NEXA Shield !

Last edited by i74js : 30th August 2019 at 10:49.
Old 30th August 2019, 11:52   #26
BHPian

Since this thread began I have been observing all the steering wheels of S cross that I encounter during office commute, without exception, all of them had some or other blemish. What a shame Nexa!
Thilak29 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 21:04   #27
BHPian

Quote:
The steering wheel is same as Swift but with cruise control. We had successfully installed the Swift steering in Baleno. XL6 steering would mostly fit S-Cross. Stay Tuned
Can't wait!!! :-)

I have a Ciaz alpha (same leather steering), but no chipping or scarping yet. But then again my car is just 8 months old.

I'm thinking, why wait!? I personally think the flat bottom steering wheel looks better.
Jeevith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 21:16   #28
BANNED

Since the discussion has come to flat bottom steering wheels, can some one record a video which shows the self centering action with a flat bottom steering wheel. Wanted to understand how it affects the hands.
Old 31st August 2019, 08:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

I got the delta variant which didn't have steering cover. However, I got a genuine leather steering cover fitted at the dealership. The attendant showed me two options - one which he said is usually there on the higher variants and another 'pure leather' option. I went with the latter. Hopefully it's the real deal.
Old 31st August 2019, 09:40   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I got the delta variant which didn't have steering cover. However, I got a genuine leather steering cover fitted at the dealership. The attendant showed me two options - one which he said is usually there on the higher variants and another 'pure leather' option. I went with the latter. Hopefully it's the real deal.
How much old/young is your car and how many kilometers have you covered till now? It all depends on the usage too in my opinion, not just the age.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks