Team-BHP - Upgrading the stock headlights
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Upgrading the stock headlights (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/215443-upgrading-stock-headlights.html)

Hi, I own a 2011 Fluidic Verna (Petrol) and the headlights are pathetic on low and high beam. And it hardly has a long-range when driving on highways. Very low clarity/ illumination. I had upgraded it to some LED brand in the past, but it is hasn't helped much rather than getting white beams. The Swift has much better lighting than the 2011 Verna. What is a long-term solution? I don't mind changing the entire unit, but need to get a clear and powerful illumination especially on long-distance highway rides. Please advise on an option, brand and where I can buy online or in Kochi

Try high wattage bulbs like 100 watt ones available in the market paired with a good quality harness. That should improve the lighting vastly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tjv777 (Post 4690545)
Hi, I own a 2011 Fluidic Verna (Petrol) and the headlights are pathetic on low and high beam. And it hardly has a long-range when driving on highways. Very low clarity/ illumination. I had upgraded it to some LED brand in the past, but it is hasn't helped much rather than getting white beams. The Swift has much better lighting than the 2011 Verna. What is a long-term solution? I don't mind changing the entire unit, but need to get a clear and powerful illumination especially on long-distance highway rides. Please advise on an option, brand and where I can buy online or in Kochi

Go for Phillips rally bulbs 100/90 Watts along with a good branded relay wiring harness. Hope the headlights are not dull and have a clear look.

If you do not have the projector unit which came in the SXO variant, you can get the projectors added. For highway driving a pair of Hella 500FF series driving lamp will help, inexpensive and good at what it does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpian (Post 4690649)
Go for Phillips rally bulbs 100/90 Watts along with a good branded relay wiring harness. Hope the headlights are not dull and have a clear look.

They're not dull and are clear. Yes., will look at this. Thanks, mate.:thumbs up

HI Tjv
Please keep in mind and then shop online or offline accordingly,

Projector ( Lens ) based lights have high directivity than Chrome reflector lamps. Thus for city driving reflector based lamps are better as they illuminate areas on road and adjacent foot paths, parked vehicles, pedestrian traffic etc. Projector lamps are dangerous for city driving as their beam does NOT spread much at some distances from car, thus creating blind dark areas in front of Car.
Projectors can throw directed beam till Longer distances and they spread sufficiently at LONG distance, thus enabling you to drive at Faster speeds in highway, blessing you with more reaction time and longer stopping distance.
LED bulbs have LOT of emissions on Blue, violet side of spectrum. They tend to blind the opposite direction drivers. Since they emit very less energy in Red Orange Yellow region they do NOT illuminate objects with Clarity and sharpness. LED and Xenon Bulbs are less effective in Foggy ad rainy driving also.

So you should purchase Projector lamps with Halogen or Xenon HID bulbs.
JUST TO REMIND do not use Upper beam in city traffic. Thanks

Quote:

And it hardly has a long-range when driving on highways. Very low clarity/ illumination. I had upgraded it to some LED brand in the past, but it is hasn't helped much rather than getting white beams. The Swift has much better lighting than the 2011 Verna. What is a long-term solution? I don't mind changing the entire unit, but need to get a clear and powerful illumination especially on long-distance highway rides. Kochi

Quote:

I had upgraded it to some LED brand in the past, but it is hasn't helped much rather than getting white beams.

Given the reflector set up that the Verna comes with, I'm guessing the scattering beams of the LED bulb lit up the leaves of the trees / overhead signboards more than the road in front of you. lol:

Quote:

What is a long-term solution? I don't mind changing the entire unit, but need to get a clear and powerful illumination especially on long-distance highway rides. Please advise on an option, brand and where I can buy online or in Kochi

I recommend going in for a projector lens + LED bulb setup. In layman terms, I've found that the projector setup ensures that the LED beam is focused frontward only, unlike a reflector set-up, which, as you must have seen, allows the beam to scatter all over the place. This focus enables for a greater throw and illumination of the road.

For projector lens, Morimoto is the most popular brand out there and is used by a few bhp-ians as well.

Unfortunately, I don't live in Kochi but quite a lot of bhp-ians on the forum from Kochi have done something similar so they should be able to help you out.

All the best!!

I think the best way forward for you would be to get a set of aux lamps. They'll be quick, simple, and comparatively cheaper. And I think sedans look kinda cool with those lamps.

Thanks, mates, I'll check out Galaxy in Kochi, Edappaly. Hope any Kochi guys can suggest other places.

Quote:

headlights are pathetic

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ting-here.html

This thread will help and guide you in your quest towards better lighting. Don't blind the oncoming vehicles though.

I have installed relay and Philips 100/90 W bulbs since last two years and 60k kms. Pretty darn good throw and lights the road properly.

Quote:

If I may ask - how long do you plan to keep the car? If you are starting to get an itch of car change - I'd suggest go for a car with better stock headlamps rather than trying upgrades.

Many times the lights being poor is one of the reasons our brain focuses on, when its starting to think of a car change but heart wants to keep the car due to attachment. Just sharing my personal experience. :) It may not be the case with you.

For regular highway runs, you are better off adding additional driving lights, if you think you can get away from the cops!

Upgrading the stock headlights comes with a cost, and the result ain't that great when compared adding a good set of driving lights.

I guess the change may come anytime. There are lots of new launches happening and that's tempting. So will look at just changing the stock as well. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanushs (Post 4691389)
For regular highway runs, you are better off adding additional driving lights, if you think you can get away from the cops!

Upgrading the stock headlights comes with a cost, and the result ain't that great when compared adding a good set of driving lights.

Thats what I meant. The sheer headache of of the 2-3 months it takes to get the lights just right is pointless. I tried multiple sets of projectors, and settled on these aux lamps, 35w each.
However, the fiesta had very good stock lamps, just that mine were completely screwed by age as well as me. The best solution came with a set of brand new headlamps. In the meantime, the aux lamps served me sufficiently enough.
No issues with cops.
To the OP: you could buy 27w LED lamps as well from amazon.

Quote:

'Some LED brand' may not give you the results that you are looking for. There are different grades and types of LED's and you need to choose the right one. The current tech is turbo/flip/CSP LED's. If you are OK to order from Aliexpress then i would recommend below LED's in the decreasing order of quality.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3282...c00KBSGaM&mp=1

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284...c00KBSGaM&mp=1

Hyundai verna has the bulb holder inside the headlamp dust camp, unlike , say Maruti, where the bulb holder is outside and separate. So you need to cut the dust cover to install the 100/90 halogen bulbs with relay harness. If not done with custom sized dust covers, you will end up with dust and water inside the headlamp assembly, which will ultimately lead to headlamp replacement. Your best bet would be to upgrade to Philips xtreme vision/osram night breaker series of halogen bulbs or compact LED's