Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2006, 02:42   #1
BHPian

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hi,
I think the standard headlight fitment for optra is H1 for High beam and H7 for low beam.
I'am planning to install Philips crystal vision ( H1 & H7). In the process do i need to install a relay?
Appreciate you help.
Old 5th April 2006, 05:15   #2
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

As long as the bulb is of the same rating(which it is) there will be no need for fitting a relay. I'm not sure if crystal vision is available for H1 and H7.
Old 5th April 2006, 06:58   #3
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

All that you get from Philips crystal vision is a slightly brighter bluish-white light.If you're requirment for better lighting is due to your highway use, look for slightly higher wattage bulbs. Nothing to beat a 90/100W bulb, awesome perfomance. Get a relay fixed and you're done.
Old 5th April 2006, 11:53   #4
Team-BHP Support

No relay needed.
If you are doing the mod for better light, go for Vision+. Crystal vision is geared more towards show off.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2006, 12:13   #5
BHPian

I think there are 3 varities for H4 bulbs by philips:
Vision plus, crystal vision and diamond vision.

As per the specs the diamond vision should give off the maximum light. Not sure about which one is better b/w crystal vision and vision plus.
Old 5th April 2006, 12:57   #6
BANNED

Hi Chevy I'm using Crystal Vision low beams (H7) in my Optra. They're pretty good for city use, with better lighting than the original bulbs.

However, the high beams (H1) were pretty crap. Definitely not enough lighting, so I'm still using the original bulbs until I can get my hands on Hella Optilux XB bulbs.

You will not need a relay because Crystal Vision H7 is the same wattage (55 watts) as your original bulbs. In fact, the H1 Crystal Vision uses less wattage (55w) than your standard high beam (65w). This probably explains why it is very inadequate.

Hope this helps...
Old 2nd November 2006, 22:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Note from mod:
This thread is for queries related to Automobile lighting.
Looking for a headlamp upgrade?
Want to know which fog lamps will suit you the best?
Want to enquire about Xenon's and such?

Post all queries for your "functional non show lighting requirements" here.

I wanted to know what the next logical upgrade for the ALTO's headlight bulb would be. If I am right, It runs on a 65/55W halogen now. Will a 100W give better illumination?
I propose to do a long run on the highway in December. I expect it to be raining(it always does in Kerala). Does anyone know about a halogen called "all wheather"? Will this suit ALTO?

I tried searching on the site for this. But didnt turn any exact results.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 7th November 2006 at 22:53.
Old 2nd November 2006, 22:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Typically most headlights, irrespective of brightness, are completely useless in rainy conditions-but for letting oncoming traffic know that your car's heading in their direction. The best bet would be the Hella Rallye 1000 series fog lamps instead. It really illuminates into Mars ! This series comes either as a xenon light or a halogen light.

Last edited by theMAG : 2nd November 2006 at 22:52.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2006, 22:57   #9

hi try using 100/90 blue vision phillips or wurth bulbs as all halogen light bulbs fittin is universal . they will really make a difference. go to mahavir's on GP road or if you know anyone else pick it up from them
Old 2nd November 2006, 23:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
The best bet would be the Hella Rallye 1000 series fog lamps instead. It really illuminates into Mars ! This series comes either as a xenon light or a halogen light.
I have heard about this one. I guess this is frightfully expensive. Xenons are. Wont they take too much power which would drain my tiny battery? Any cheaper options? Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 2nd November 2006, 23:26   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
I have heard about this one. I guess this is frightfully expensive. Xenons are. Wont they take too much power which would drain my tiny battery? Any cheaper options? Thanks for your suggestion.
Well, a set of 2 Rallye 1000 series halogen fog lamps will cost roughly abt Rs 5000 ( USD $ 90; http://store.classicgarage.com/heffhadrlaki.html) , and includes, apart from the 2 fog lamps themselves, 2 stone shields, plug-in wiring harness, switch, relay and fuse. They don't directly ship to India, perhaps you know someone where they ship currently.

Any worthy fog lamps will require a cut-out to avoid battery drain. I wouldn't know the exact power rating unfortunately.

Last edited by theMAG : 2nd November 2006 at 23:41.
Old 2nd November 2006, 23:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
Any cheaper options?
Go for Phillips 100/90. They will do the trick.
Unless you want to go for Xeons.
Old 3rd November 2006, 00:01   #13
BANNED

My suggestion is to simply get the Philips 100/90 Rally halogens. Bluevisions are good but I find the rally ones better and it doesn't invite trouble from cops.

Get a pair of good fog lamps as these can be very helpful in bad road & weather conditions.

Xenons dont consume more power than halogens. It consumes less power in some cases.
Old 3rd November 2006, 00:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

@mail4ajo simply get a Philips 100/90 bulb with a relay and it will do the magic.I have installed the same on my old Alto and its been good 16 months absolutely no problems.I have driven down to Cochin with the car a couple to times and have had no visibility problems.
Old 3rd November 2006, 00:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69
@mail4ajo simply get a Philips 100/90 bulb with a relay and it will do the magic.
Remember the cost you paid? Pardon me for my ignorance...how does the relay help? Any other mods to the electricals?

Most Viewed