Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2006, 19:53   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
they will give better light than stock but nothing beats 100/90W, for which you will need a relay atleast.
Yes, I am convinced now after I converted to 100/90W Philips Rally. Awesome beam and spread. But I have to play around with the headlamp levelling device a little to get the right focus.

But a little advice to those who want to convert to 100/90W - Mind you, these bulbs are really powerful for you and also for the oncoming traffic. Please do not use the bulbs for aggressive and offensive night driving. Rather use high beams as a defensive technic.
Old 13th December 2006, 14:21   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
See my posting here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/333806-post71.html

Can you tell me its performance on "unlit" highways?.... Visibility, throw of light etc....
Brilliant throw and spread of light. This I saw on an unlit back road with no street lighting. But in such conditions your headlight aiming is a very important factors. My Indica's headlights were aimed too high, I adjusted them and now I get perfect performance.
The problem with white light is that on well lit streets with sodium lighting they appear to be "less powerful". But if you are talking about ability to illuminate cyclists etc,. they are amazing.
One disadvantage is fog. In fog the normal lights which have yellow tint will do better than the white ones.
Quote:
And for my second question in the link...
The person whom I have interacted with said this...."Accent already comes with Relays and cut outs. I have fitted quite a few 90/100 bulbs on Accent without any problems"
TSK, From what you have said, could this be a case where the lights are not giving its full output and are ok if high+ low beam are used for shorter periods of time?
No Idea about accent. But I am wondering why would a car which is fitted with 60/55W as stock come with a 100W relay? Maybe some other accent owners can specify.
From hyundai stable, the Getz does not come with 100W relay, thats why we got 60/55W Vision+
If a relay is not there, you can blow a fuse if it reaches tolerance limit, and blowing fuses on dark unlit highways is not fun. I think there need not be so much hesitation to get a rs 300 part which will save you from such incidents
As for high+ low beam thing, some gyan.
Halogen H4 technology is not some rocket science. Its more to do with glass technology. Basically, the higher the gas pressure, the better the light output, as it increases filament temperature which gives better light.
So your high performance bulbs, which claim to give 30%, 50%, 80% more light at same wattage do this by increasing gas pressure and increasing filament temperature. For this they use special glass which is resistant, but such high pressures, esp for the 100/90W high performance bulbs means that glass is at its tolerance limit.
So when you do high+low you have 2 filaments active at same time. Double the pressure almost. Sustain it for long time, and your halogen will go pop. So avoid it.
Another disadvantage which is inherent is sensitivity to your electrical system. As nitrous told me in another thread, an indigo blew headlights because of over voltage due to alternator regulator fault.

Therefore before you go for high performance 100/90W(not regular 100/90W with older tech) make sure
1. You have a relay to bypass the current from your electrical system
2. Do not use high low beam together
3. Make sure even while revving the voltage at your battery terminals does no exceed 12.8 volts with headlights on. IF you have stock wiring, it will give a voltage drop which will mask your regulator problem. But with wiring harness where there is no significant drop, you have to be careful.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 13th December 2006 at 14:31.
Old 14th December 2006, 12:40   #78
BHPian

Dear Yogi.I just followed your advice and fixed the Dixon wire assembly and relay.It costed me Rs.500.Thanks.However,I do not see any change in the brightness of the headlight.
Old 14th December 2006, 12:55   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debasischatterj View Post
Dear Yogi.I just followed your advice and fixed the Dixon wire assembly and relay.It costed me Rs.500.Thanks.However,I do not see any change in the brightness of the headlight.

You may not see a visible difference, but it will prevent your electricals from overloading and going kaput when you're driving in the middle of the night. It's always neccessary to install a relay when upgrading to overwatt bulbs, unless your car is preinstalled, as some cars are.
Old 19th December 2006, 12:34   #80
BHPian

Facing problem with 130/100 watts.

I got the Head light bulbs (100/90 watts) replaced the 130/100 philips ralley along with the relay and the holders in my esteem (2004).

I noticed that as soon as I turn the headlights on, the engine sound changes and I feel that the engine is getting over loaded. But there is no change in the engine performance with the lights on. Can some on tell me if this is a normal thing that is happening? Or I have to get it checked? Or is it time for me to replace the battery?

This is noticible only after I got the bulbs upgraded to 130/100 philips ralley. The lighting is very good with 130/100 on highways. I never use the high beam in the city roads.
Old 19th December 2006, 13:22   #81
BHPian

hey guys i wud like to change the headlights on my zen.. its an LX.. the 2002 model.. i drive down to b'lore quite a lot.. the standard bulbs are too bad to drive on highways.. any recommandations as to what i shud change my headlights to..?? pls give me the ratings and specific brands if any.. and anyone knows a gud shop in cochin ver i can go in for the works..?? ur replies wud be much appreciated guys..

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.
Old 19th December 2006, 13:55   #82
BHPian

Hello friends, any one there to help me out????
Old 19th December 2006, 13:58   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas_mirage View Post
hey guys i wud like to change the headlights on my zen.. its an LX.. the 2002 model.. i drive down to b'lore quite a lot.. the standard bulbs are too bad to drive on highways.. any recommandations as to what i shud change my headlights to..?? pls give me the ratings and specific brands if any.. and anyone knows a gud shop in cochin ver i can go in for the works..?? ur replies wud be much appreciated guys..
Get Philips rally bulbs of 100/90 ratings. they are tend to be illegal but will help a lot and won't cause too much of a trouble to opposite vehicles if the focussing is done correctly. Don't put in anything brighter.

You can get these from any reputed automotive spare shop or accessories shops.

If you have the stock wiring for the Headlamps, it will have to be replaced with a more higher capacity headlamp wiring kit. This can be done from any service workshops or accessories shops.

If you have some spare time, visit Emperor @ Palarivattom, Car shoppe @ Palarivattom, General motor accessories @ Mamangalam or any nearest shop in Cochin.

Wanna know more? Come for our proposed meet. Read about it here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...-2006-a-8.html

P.S. Next time, type properly to avoid warnings.
Old 19th December 2006, 14:40   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy View Post
I got the Head light bulbs (100/90 watts) replaced the 130/100 philips ralley along with the relay and the holders in my esteem (2004).

I noticed that as soon as I turn the headlights on, the engine sound changes and I feel that the engine is getting over loaded. But there is no change in the engine performance with the lights on. Can some on tell me if this is a normal thing that is happening? Or I have to get it checked? Or is it time for me to replace the battery?

This is noticible only after I got the bulbs upgraded to 130/100 philips ralley. The lighting is very good with 130/100 on highways. I never use the high beam in the city roads.
Dont worry, happens in my Indica too. The engine note goes slightly higher due to alternator needing more power from the engine. It is noticable at idle, but 260W extra is hardly anything for the engine.
So if you car is not giving any starting problems etc., no need to get anything checked.
About the relay and wires, do you have a 300W relay or a 200W one.
200W one can go kaput with 130/110W bulbs.
Old 19th December 2006, 15:57   #85
BANNED

Quote:

Do you really need 130/100s?? I think it will be effecting the opposite drivers' view!

And what you're experiencing is normal. Nothing to worry about!!
Old 19th December 2006, 16:14   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
About the relay and wires, do you have a 300W relay or a 200W one.200W one can go kaput with 130/110W bulbs.
I am not very sure about the specifications of the relay. I will check that. Thank you
Old 19th December 2006, 16:19   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Do you really need 130/100s?? I think it will be effecting the opposite drivers' view!
The low beam does not do that, high beam does. I never use it in the bangalore trafic. Most of the time I use my fog lamps, which is more than enough. But I really feel that I need bright light on high ways and bad roads.
Old 19th December 2006, 16:25   #88
BANNED

Quote:
The low beam does not do that, high beam does. I never use it in the bangalore trafic. Most of the time I use my fog lamps, which is more than enough. But I really feel that I need bright light on high ways and bad roads.
Is it just a feeling? I think it's too much.
100/90 would be fine enough for highways too.
Old 19th December 2006, 16:50   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Is it just a feeling? I think it's too much.
100/90 would be fine enough for highways too.
I don't use them on the public roads. More over the low beam does not blind the drivers in front. The hight of the beam is so low in esteem that some time I feel that It has to be increased.
Old 19th December 2006, 17:34   #90
BHPian

Okay a quick deal..... Two hella 4000 (luminator series) for 6k or 4 hella comet's for 2.5k?? I drive an alto... For all the morons who drives with bright lights and refuse to dip.......

What do you guys think??????????

Last edited by Knight Rider : 19th December 2006 at 17:37.

Most Viewed