Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2004, 21:37   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

High-octane premium fuels...They were nothing but a distant fantast a couple of years back where only imported cars required this diet. After the dawn of liberalistion and the subsequent introduction of high performance engines available in Indian cars (e.g. the Honda City Vtec, Fiat Palio 1.6 etc.), better fuel became more a necessity than a luxury. Ajmat and Shan2nu will vouch for the fact that their Vtecs crave for higher octane petrol which totally diminishes the low-rpm jerking and high-rpm knocking in their engines. Most of the D segmenters including the Accord, Camry, Vectra (especially) and Mondeo run much better on higher octane fuel...this is an accepted fact.

But does Speed93 actually work out to a more expensive proposition?

Bombay Prices in price/liter

Regular unleaded is Rs. 40.96
Regular Speed * ** * *Rs. 42.30
Speed 93 * * * * * ** * Rs. 43.80

So the difference between regular petrol and regular octane speed is Rs. 1.34, while Speed93 commands a Rs.2.84 premium over the regular liquid.

Honda City Vtec on Speed93

My monthly running is apprx. 1500 kms, 80% city and the rest on the highways. In the city cycle, my Vtec has always managed an average of 9.5 kms/liter on regular unleaded fuel. A month back, I gassed her up with Speed93 and the average immediately jumped to 10.6! I thought I would experiment a little longer to check for consistency and boy, was I surprised. Over the past 4 weeks on Speed93 exclusively, the average of my Vtec has stayed between 10.5 to 10.9 - in city driving conditions!! Never before has she delivered these figures in Bombay city on any occassion!

Calculations

Normal Unleaded Fuel

1500/9.5 * 40.96 = Rs. 6467.3

Speed 93

1500/10.6 * 43.8 = Rs. 6198.11

Holy Cow!! Are you surprised too? I am saving Rs.270 per month by using premium fuels. In addition to this benefit:

1. My Vtec runs much smoother

2. The engine responsiveness is razor sharp

3. In addition to being higher octane, Speed 93 also has cleansing additives. This means cleaner injectors and a fuel supply system at all times.

4. Pure for Sure - Speed93 is available ONLY through pure for sure outlets. This guarantees you a genuine product and totally eliminates the adulteration factor - Most important in the Indian scenario where adulteration is so rampant. *

Simpler put, the price of Speed93 over regular unleaded is 6.93 %. But the increase in fuel efficiency is a whopping 11.6 %!

Mercedes Benz C180 on Speed93

The Merc has also been receiving a premium diet since the last three weeks. While the average has gone up by 11.2 % (and thus still cheaper than running normal fuel), the most significant benefit is the improved throttle response at low rpms. Anyone who is familiar with the C180 will certify the absolute lack of grunt below 1500 rpm. There is just no action.

However, on Speed93...the engine responsiveness has become so much more improved that its just unbelievable. No more launching at higher rpms in city driving conditions, you can get the car rolling just like any other Japanese sedan with minimalistic levels of throttle input.

However, do keep in mind that high compression engines will benefit the most from 93 octane fuels, and lower/mid-range cars are much better off using regular octane petrol - as recommended by the respective manufacturers. My 1996 Esteem VX with over 100,000 kms did not show any significant benefits. But I do remember some members complaining about excessive knocking in their WagonR's and strongly recommend Speed93 to them.

But all you guys out there with Palio 1.6's, Citys, Vtecs, Accords etc...Gas up on Speed93 yourself, it works out cheaper and the adjoining benefits make it more than worth the effort.

GTO
Old 2nd August 2004, 00:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey GTO...
This is precisely the very reason why I have always used Speed93 for my Fiat Palio S10 from day one. In fact the only time i used regular unleaded was when i took the car out of the showroom and since the pump with SP93 was a fair distance away i had to put in rs.200 worth of regular unleaded.
I never did any calculations on whether speed93 would actualy be cheaper simply cuz i never had the mileage figures with normal unleaded!
apart from the savings u mentioned lets also remember that we save on maintainence and repairs so ultimately we do end up saving quite a good amount.
Great product BPCL! KEEP IT UP!
Old 2nd August 2004, 01:52   #3
RJK
Senior - BHPian

I'd used Speed93 in my City 1.5. Didn't get much benefits in terms of accleration but engine was lot smoother. Moreover what I've noticed is that Power seems to be better than Speed. My car idled a lot smoother with Power. Anybody else noticed that?
Old 2nd August 2004, 01:59   #4
Team-BHP Support

Lot to do with gumming problem for injection nozzles. That's possibly why there are so many opinions. As I have no problem with Xtra Premium. No knocking, no problem with power. Well, I also mix that green mouth wash kinda look stuff called G-TEX or something. Anybody there to correct me please help!!!
Old 2nd August 2004, 02:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think its called IFTEX too... somebody help!

Revv
Old 2nd August 2004, 02:23   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Revvmaster @ Aug. 02 2004,00:35)]I think its called IFTEX too... somebody help!

Revv
Thanks Rev, it's IFTEX right!!!
Old 2nd August 2004, 14:09   #7
Team-BHP Support

Isn't that called System G?? Thats what i used to use in the old Astra earlier, basically an octane booster and keeps the fuel system clean.
Old 2nd August 2004, 18:01   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

hey guys im usin power ......
plannin on changin to 93........
any imp diff. bw speed and power bcoz hopefully this time next yr i may have a bpcl account as i will be shiftin
Old 2nd August 2004, 19:14   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rudra Sen @ Aug. 02 2004,00:53)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Revvmaster @ Aug. 02 2004,00:35)]I think its called IFTEX too... somebody help!

Revv
Thanks Rev, it's IFTEX right!!!
Rudra and Revv,

that's called IFTEX System G for your info....i also use it in my esteem and have observed great benefits

~A
Old 3rd August 2004, 01:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

i had used speed 93 and power 93 in my mpfi zen.but did not get any major advantage over speed /power.
Old 3rd August 2004, 01:59   #11
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Speed 93 surely does help. It reduces knocking to 10% of what it is with normal unleaded fuel. that is true for my WagonR.
It does help in accerlation, and smoothness.
I was under the impression that speed 93 is Rs 4 costlier than the normal Unleaded.
According to BP website Speed 93 is just Rs 2.19/- ... more than normal... BUT that wasn't ture, when I last got speed 93!!

And is there also a Power 93.. I didn't know!!... will have to try out this too, when I get back to my town.
Old 4th August 2004, 22:20   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

hey guys
i went to my hp fuel pump as i have an account there .......
i asked for power93 but they said that they had stopped it ........
man that was really surprising .
now will have to convince dad to change to bp when i shift
Old 5th August 2004, 00:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Speed 93 rocks all the way.Even if its 3-4 extra bucks,i wud`nt mind spendin.At the end of it all that matters for me is Performance.Smoke a ciggie less!!!

Keep Rockin!
Old 6th August 2004, 16:53   #14
BHPian

Hi GTO,

It this car specific? I want to know if this is recommended for my Tata Indigo Petrol?

Thanks for the response.

Milind
Old 6th August 2004, 17:16   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I am waiting to fill my cars up with 93 octane but unfortunatly the petrol pump where i have an account and is the only pump i ever fill fuel from doesnt have it. The petrol pump incontext here is the big HP petrol pump down turner road. I am sure all ppl living in and around bandra would know of it. I currently use Power but if some1 knows when this petrol pump will get power93 would be good news?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed