Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2020, 20:07   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Oil leak in my Honda City i-DTEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Update
I'am attaching the pictures below, i had to rush to work today so i will hand over the car to them on Monday, lets hope the issue gets fixed, they don't think anything is damaged and no part needs replacement.
Wow it really is a miracle that there are no stains in parking. Its oozing oil!! Good luck. Let's hope it gets fixed for good.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 20:08   #32
BHPian

Update
The problem has been fixed by Honda, they attribute the problem to some oil seal failure, the engine was taken down and they took 2 full days Monday and Tuesday, i asked them to do a normal service as well (60000 Kms) and i got my car today, will regularly check engine oil level and that place near the head which is totally clean now for a few months to make sure. Thank you all for your help and suggestions, It has been a good experience with Cherish Honda and a special thanks to Dr Gogia for getting me in touch with Mr Walia, he made Mr Siman take care of my car and he was personally involved in ensuring the problem gets correctly identified and fixed.
Rocketscience is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 14:41   #33
BHPian

Hi, my cousin has a 2014 Honda City diesel. He mentioned that the cover to protect the oil sump was found broken by the mechanic. He heard some scraping sound before that so took it to the service centre. They told him that this cover is not available currently and will take time, hence my cousin is a bit apprehensive about taking the vehicle out without the cover.
My question is that is the oil sump in City diesel made out of plastic or metal. Judging by the photos posted earlier, I would guess metal. My idea was that if it is made out of plastic, it would be more susceptible to damage from pebbles/debris etc. Can you guys help me out, thanks.

Last edited by ds.raikkonen : 5th June 2020 at 14:44.
Old 5th June 2020, 16:04   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
Hi, my cousin has a 2014 Honda City diesel. He mentioned that the cover to protect the oil sump was found broken by the mechanic. He heard some scraping sound before that so took it to the service centre.
Is it this cover that is broken? If it's this one, place an order, they'll deliver the item to the address directly. He can take it and fit it at any FNG.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 14:18   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
Hi, my cousin has a 2014 Honda City diesel. He mentioned that the cover to protect the oil sump was found broken by the mechanic. He heard some scraping sound before that so took it to the service centre. They told him that this cover is not available currently and will take time, hence my cousin is a bit apprehensive about taking the vehicle out without the cover.
My question is that is the oil sump in City diesel made out of plastic or metal. Judging by the photos posted earlier, I would guess metal. My idea was that if it is made out of plastic, it would be more susceptible to damage from pebbles/debris etc. Can you guys help me out, thanks.
The sump is made of metal, Honda tech advised me to get the cover part in fender fixed as that could introduce water damage but the car can get away without the underbody cover, i guess they don't even have it in the petrol model, the actual replacement kit comes in 3 parts, it is sort of a U shaped thing with 2 sides fitting on the fender lining and 1 big part under the engine.

I had to get it fixed before the lockdown but this had gotten delayed indefinitely.
Rocketscience is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 00:39   #36
BHPian

How much oil consumption should be considered normal for a Honda City iDtec 2015 with ODO reading 62000 kms?
Old 19th June 2022, 01:36   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchit_bhp View Post
How much oil consumption should be considered normal for a Honda City iDtec 2015 with ODO reading 62000 kms?
Oh it does consume oil, I found my dipstick well below minimum mark and it freaked me out, I thought the leakage was back but thankfully it wasn't, my car is exactly around the 62k KMs mark you mentioned.

So I bought some oil to top it up before my next service which was about to be due and poured around 2 litres but when I checked it showed well above the maximum mark, I had overfilled it. So realistically estimating, i'd say it consumed around 1.25 to 1.5 litres in around 10k KMs.

My Creta co incidentally is also around the exact same mileage, is also Diesel. Just to compare I checked it as well, it had also done around 12k from its previous service and it too was overdue. Dipstick showed absolutely normal oil level with next to zero consumption.

The last thing to note is Creta has always been filled with Shell fully synthetic oil from Hyundai whereas City uses the standard Honda oil for iDTEC which is a very viscous mineral oil as far as I know, so maybe that is a contributing factor in oil consumption.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 19th June 2022 at 01:38.
Rocketscience is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 01:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Oh it does consume oil, I found my dipstick well below minimum mark and it freaked me out, I thought the leakage was back but thankfully it wasn't, my car is exactly around the 62k KMs mark you mentioned.

So I bought some oil to top it up before my next service which was about to be due and poured around 2 litres but when I checked it showed well above the maximum mark, I had overfilled it. So realistically estimating, i'd say it consumed around 1.25 to 1.5 litres in around 10k KMs.
I checked Honda City's Owners Manual and they have mentioned that the engine can consume upto 1litre of engine oil per 1000 kms.
Old 19th June 2022, 01:53   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchit_bhp View Post
I checked Honda City's Owners Manual and they have mentioned that the engine can consume upto 1litre of engine oil per 1000 kms.
I faintly remember reading it as well but it made no sense, isn't the total oil capacity just around 4.5l? Does that mean the engine will run bone dry in less than 5k kms? Way before its next service at 10k Kms!
Old 19th June 2022, 01:59   #40
BHPian

Quote:
I faintly remember reading it as well but it made no sense, isn't the total oil capacity just around 4.5l? Does that mean the engine will run bone dry in less than 5k kms? Way before its next service at 10k Kms!
According to the manual, 4.2 litres of engine oil required if oil filter is replaced too, otherwise 3.7 litres.
Old 21st June 2022, 17:23   #41

I’m having a similar leak on my Honda City 2014 idtec with more than 90k on its odo. Which exact oil seal has failed and what would be the replacement cost? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Oil leak in my Honda City i-DTEC-2e7c88e6b7a24b95983f8426456ba29c.jpeg  

Old 21st June 2022, 18:40   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parth_enzo View Post
I’m having a similar leak on my Honda City 2014 idtec with more than 90k on its odo. Which exact oil seal has failed and what would be the replacement cost? Thanks!
That would depend on exactly what failed in your engine. Take it to the dealership and check?
Old 21st June 2022, 20:49   #43
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
No, if oil consumption mentioned in the manual is 1 liter per 1000 km and owner is seeing a similar drop, then it is the responsibility of the owner to keep topping up the oil and never run the engine below the minimum mark. It may take 9 liter of top up oil if the service interval is 10k. Frankly, if the oil consumption is that high, I would rather get the engine repaired.

Quote:
Is the dipstick showing significant fall in oil level? If not, just top up every 3 k kms and don't do anything. You may also try a thicker oil like 15w40 to minimise the leak. Expect
1-2% drop in mileage with thicker oil.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 21st June 2022 at 20:54.
Old 21st June 2022, 22:12   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Seems to be awfully similar to mine, prices quoted were various from authorised Honda dealerships ranging from 7.5k from Cherish to 12k from Ring Road Honda, finally thanks to a fellow very helpful bhpian, got it done for practically peanuts (read fraction the cost), engine is fine ever since.
Old 2nd November 2022, 21:40   #45
BHPian

today I topped up around 1.2 litres, that was the consumption after driving 6500 kms. My mechanic says that nothing to worry.
Quote:

satchit_bhp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks