Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 16:09   #61
Senior - BHPian

Can we move on to stating other obvious things now?

Humans need oxygen to survive. Next?
Old 5th August 2010, 18:13   #62
Senior - BHPian

I sometimes switch off the engine while going downslope in plain roads, just to get rid of the engine clatter. The vehicle is a diesel padmini, so speeds of 60 kmph is quite manageable.
Old 6th August 2010, 13:40   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
I sometimes switch off the engine while going downslope in plain roads, just to get rid of the engine clatter. The vehicle is a diesel padmini, so speeds of 60 kmph is quite manageable.
The Padmini has got a hydraulic brake system which is not engine assisted and your deed is OK in normal circumstances. Consider this situation : You are cruising at 60 Kph with your engine off and you need to brake suddenly.
Old 7th August 2010, 11:04   #64
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I sure hope your Guardian angel is looking over you at this time.

Please do NOT switch off the engine when going down a hill. Actually, keep the engine running in ANY driving condition. Remember, free wheeling can make you lose complete control of the car.
Old 7th August 2010, 13:32   #65
Senior - BHPian

The only car in which I have tried this (for several years) was my M800 (old), where the engine does not drive the power steering or brakes. But my speeds never exceeded 50 kmph, and there would hardly be any traffic on the road (6.30 am). To avoid the risk of the key dropping out and steering getting locked, I would quickly bring the ignition key back to the run position after switching off, without cranking the engine.

But in hindsight, I feel that this is too risky, even in the M800 !

There is no way one could even attempt this in any of the power steering and power brake vehicles.
Old 7th August 2010, 14:34   #66
BHPian

Quote:

I have seen Jeep drivers in Munnar doing that to save fuel. Mind you the jeep would be full to over capacity( commuters hanging on the sides and back, sitting on the carrier and on front mud guards etc). On curves the jeep would look as if its going to topple over.

I too have tried the same on our first vehicle the omni. But once by accident i turned the keys to the lock position. The omni was travelling over 60kmph on a down hill without brakes being applied. Now a curve was fast approaching and I couldn't budge the steering. I screeched on the brakes and WHAM.. We came to a stop after hitting a huge rock that was on the side of the road. Lucklily nothing serious happened, as GTO said my guarding angels did a fairly good job. Actually my presence of mind didnt work either, i could have just turned on the keys at the right moment.

After that incident I have never repeated this technique, fuel saved here doesn't amount to the value of life you are gifted with.
Old 8th August 2010, 15:42   #67
BHPian

there are umpteen number of Maruti Omni being run as taxis at Gangtok. During my last visit there, I found all the taxi drivers switching off the engine when going downhill. After observing for the first two trips, I avoided these taxis for all my trips to the market side from hotel approx 2 kms. Of course, invited the wrath of my wife...but after a long argument she agreed...otherwise I did find all the taxiwallas there to be correct in their adherence to traffic ... giving way to vehicle going uphills et all in the narrow roads.
Old 8th August 2010, 16:41   #68
BHPian

Aah!, I just recalled my memories. I did a downstream a couple of years ago in my maruti 800 MPFI. Neither the brakes nor the steering needs engine to do their job so I wasnt bothered about it. I usually don't turn off my engine at any conditon so that I don't drain my battery ( my audio keeps running all the time ). But one fine day I was driving down tirumala hills, awesome climate. Rolled down my windows and drove down. Thought why not save some fuel for a change and I did it. Only at one point I had to start the engine. Apart from that It went all good. I was doing a cool 40-50 kmph. peacefull drive. There was no issue with my car later because of this.

Its good as long as you dont have vaccume brakes and power steering. It is risky but then, It was fun. You just have to do it with confidence.

PS : This is purely my personal opinion. Everyone has their own point of view. isn't it ?
Old 8th August 2010, 17:03   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quite a few buses when coming downhill from Ooty do this. It can be quite scary at times. Don't these guys have vacuum assisted brakes?
Old 9th August 2010, 13:43   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
Neither the brakes nor the steering needs engine to do their job so I wasnt bothered about it.
True, but be prepared to change your brake shoes quite early, A switched on engine helps to provide more grip to the tyres and helps in assisting the brakes on an incline, if slotted in the right gears.
Old 9th August 2010, 15:51   #71
BANNED

Engine braking is the reason that AT cars have to be put in a low range (S mode in the Honda AT) when descending hills. Let me recall an experience from my student days:

We were in Grenoble, and went up into the Alps (Chamrousse or Lans am Vercour, I do not remember). We had a rented Peugeot AT. Coming down there is a long downhill and we were using the brakes to control speed (remember an AT normally freewheels and does not have reverse braking). At one point our brakes faded into oblivion, and we were saved by going up a slip road which happened to be on our right. When we got down to brakes were RED and really smelling. Taught us very quickly that when descending keep an AT car in a low range and use engine braking. The same logic will apply to MT cars on a descent!
Old 23rd August 2010, 15:56   #72
BHPian

I never do the running with engine off. In new generation cars, the brakes will become less effective if engine is not running. Brakes are life savers.. About 5 years back, one person working in my office fell into a well and died on the spot.
He was driving an old (very old) scooter which was not maintained well. The brakes were not very effective. He could not control the scooter in a down hill turning. It went straight. He must have tried to stop the scooter somehow by
making it hit against a small protective wall (2 feet high) made around a deep well. The scooter stopped, but the rider still went ahead and fell heads down into the well and died.
There are many such incidents !!! So, never play with your brakes.
Never run the car with engine off. Let us not save that drop of fuel or
the nature by loosing ourselves for our beloved family.
Old 13th June 2011, 09:47   #73
BHPian

Re: Driving with your engine turned off (good or bad)

I had a close one too with the engines off ( Ford Fiesta). I was not aware that breaks would cease to function after applying 6-8 times.

Usually when you turn your engine off brakes would be little hard but still work, but if you continue to brake & release it cease to work or perhaps really really hard to work.

I was unaware of this & was sloping slowly ... after may be 6-8 bakes my paddle became really hard, just in time pulled my hand brakes. Engine on & everything restored!

Phew ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks