Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2007, 18:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Driving with your engine turned off (good or bad)

Yesterday while coming back to chandigarh from the hills I switched off the engine off the car went on rolling down.
I know its stupidbut it was fun and it was raining, so the speed didn't matter.

my question is that does it harm the engine in anyways or its ok to do

i have seen many auto doing this in rajansthan forgot the name of the place
Old 12th March 2007, 21:55   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Its bad in that the occupants will most likely expire alongwith their car - seeing as how EPS and booster brakes wont work in modern cars with the engine off. But the petrol saved switching off the engine is a good thing - and can be retrieved from the wreck of the car post-facto.

Last edited by theMAG : 12th March 2007 at 21:57.
Old 12th March 2007, 21:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Totally agree with MAG. You didn't mention which car was that from your stable. Except for the Alto rest all in your stable have power brakes that require the engine to be running to operate. How did you brake?

Or are you related to the Governor or the CM for the road to be stopped of all vehicular traffic other than yours..!!!

It certainly won't harm the engine as you queried, but it certainly would have enjoyed the rest after the climb it negotiated and in the process would lay the occupants to rest...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Its bad in that the occupants will most likely expire alongwith their car - seeing as how EPS and booster brakes wont work in modern cars with the engine off. But the petrol saved switching off the engine is a good thing - and can be retrieved from the wreck of the car post-facto.

Last edited by gd1418 : 12th March 2007 at 22:04.
Old 12th March 2007, 22:02   #4
Team-BHP Support

Which car? As rightly pointed out by theMAG the brakes and steering wont function if it ha power steering.

OT: The huge tyres on the Alto in you avatar are fitted in the wrong direction. they are directional and facing the wrong way.
Old 12th March 2007, 22:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Totally agree with MAG. You didn't mention which car was that from your stable. Except for the Alto rest all in your stable have power brakes that require the engine to be running to operate. How did you brake?

Or are you related to the Governor or the CM for the road to be stopped of all vehicular traffic other than yours..!!!

It certainly won't harm the engine as you queried, but it certainly would have enjoyed the rest after the climb it negotiated and in the process would lay the occupants to rest...!!!
did this with my alto, the breaks were way to hard.Had to stand on breaks

saved around 4l of petrol
Old 12th March 2007, 22:10   #6
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Yesterday while coming back to chandigarh from the hills I switched off the engine off the car went on rolling down.
I hope you are aware that your steering might get locked if you pull the key out. That is just one step away from disaster and too close for comfort as far as I am concerned. This is in addition to the other points made.
Old 12th March 2007, 22:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

While going hill, u'll be using the brakes (if they work with engine off) most of the time to slow down causing them to overheat or fade. But while the engine is on, u can use engine breaking with is very good and efficient.

The main probs with driving with engine off are:
No brakes
No power steering
Overheating of brakes in case of downhill driving.
Old 12th March 2007, 22:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

As everyone has said switching your cars engine off during any sort of movement of car is a strict NO NO.
The power steering won't work, breaks won't work at their full potential. A very dangerous place to be.
Sure you save few liters of fuel but are couple of hundred rupees more important than your/your loved ones life?
Old 13th March 2007, 00:10   #9
BHPian

Whoa mate, thats the most dangerous thing to do.

All the advise given above about the brakes/power steering and so on does hold true. Booster assisted brakes just won't work after sometime.

Also what if you needed engine power to suddenly swerve out of the way of a vehicle headed straight for you ?

All in all, the slight gain in terms of FE is just not work the risk to your life, just thank your lucky stars that all went well and don't try it again.
Old 13th March 2007, 01:03   #10
Team-BHP Support

I am surprized that no one has as yet has cried blue murder... Well, in simple terms its the most dangerous thing to do. theMag said as much in his sarcastic post. Search the forums and you will find a lot many threads on the same subject.
Old 13th March 2007, 01:18   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
did this with my alto, the breaks were way to hard.Had to stand on breaks

saved around 4l of petrol
Although lot many have already said this, but once more, it was a really foolish thing to do.
Even Alto has power brakes and thats why they got that hard.
You might have saved 4ltrs of fuel and live to tell us about it, but you definitly put your life, your co passengers life, and the the lives of numerous many people on the road in jeopardy and that too at a time when i was RAINING!!. Fell lucky to escape unscathed.

P.S.- This post might sound rude or obnoxious, but boss I had to call a spade a spade. These type of misadventures are NOT DONE.
Old 13th March 2007, 02:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
my question is that does it harm the engine
The only engine it can cause harm is called the heart. There may be multiple hearts in the car depending on the number of occupants!

Well, joking aside, please never do it again... ever....
Old 13th March 2007, 07:09   #13
Team-BHP Support

As far as I know, the Alto comes with power assisted brakes which are driven by a booster. Turning off your engine will not supply any power to your brake booster and inturn lead to inoperable brakes. Please do not indulge yourself in this risk and its always better to burn fuel no matter how much, it is not as costly as your life is.
Old 13th March 2007, 09:28   #14
Team-BHP Support

Hi Manikjeet,
The reasons on why you shouldnt involve in the same practice again has been pointed out by the others, either via direct rebuke or through sarcasm. Please do not put yours as well as others lives in danger all for the cost of a few 100 rupees.

Maybe you should read the poem which had a line going ..
"For the want of a nail, the Kingdom was lost...."
Old 13th March 2007, 10:11   #15
kph
BHPian

By the way, this is a usual practice by some bikers. Around 50 km from my home town, a place called Vagamon, there is a continuous uphill climb for 17km on the way. Some bikers compensate while coming down what they've burned while going up. 17km continuous neutral with engine off. Last week I did it on my bullet, the reason was different though - forgot to check fuel available. There is no fuel bunks there at the place. So came back in neutral and of course it was fun.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks