Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2020, 19:50   #31
BHPian

Re: Jerky acceleration - Is it the Ignition Coils?

I had a similar i-DSI model Honda City. I had a similar problem of occasional low power and some missing at times. I got the feedback from service centre that leads and coils have to be changed. Don't remember the cost but I think it sounded like a lot compared to the old cars. However, it completely cured the problem and I started getting better mileage as well. You will also start getting problems with passing the pollution test.
Old 9th June 2020, 20:45   #32
BHPian

Thank you the concern to each of you who gave me links of various websites. But, IMO importing them to India and paying duties here would more or less equate to what the Indian retailers are changing that too with a promising 6 month warranty.

A small issue cropped up. I upgraded to the PowerX coils and also fed her with new engine oil, S-Oil 7 RED Synthetic 5w30, with a new Oil Filter and Air Filter, making a world of a difference in the smoothness. But, the accelerator seems to have become a little hard more evident when you floor it rather than the initial movements of the pedal. That said, the oil itself has made the car very silent and she is picking up speed a bit faster than before.
Throttle Body cleaning, Injector cleaning and Spark plug replacements were to be done soon but the slightly heavy pedal is getting my attention.

The engine oil in particular had amazingly positive reviews by scores of people on Amazon, which I bought it from a shop after scanning the QR. Also, in the engine oil thread it was immensely appreciated by a BHPian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
. Do let us know if the PowerX ones are good if you’ve already purchased them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
You might want to give these people a call and ask: .
On my way to Metro Spares, she coughed for ~ 6 times in 25 kms. Post the upgrade I did 30 kms and so far no coughs. *TOUCHWOOD*
Rest, it’s too early to comment but I cannot thank you enough doctor saab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftain View Post
I suppose you could try ignition coils first, but if that does not fix it (or if it returns), you should look into this.
It’s my last resort. Upgraded the coils for now. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokabs View Post
You will also start getting problems with passing the pollution test.
If i didn’t upgrade the coils, then right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
A coil can be on its way out and still work sufficiently not to throw a code either. Check the DIY car/engine forums and you will see endless reports along those way.
Yes I’ll get an OBD done this week with my A.S.S. Any idea as to why the pedal has gotten a bit heavy post the small upgrades? Thank you Jeroen sir.

Last edited by dr.aviansh : 9th June 2020 at 21:10. Reason: Missed on something..
dr.aviansh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 12:41   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.aviansh View Post
...she coughed for ~ 6 times in 25 kms. Post the upgrade I did 30 kms and so far no coughs. *TOUCHWOOD*
Rest, it’s too early to comment...
Good to know that the problem appears to have been resolved, and that too without any massive expense.
Old 15th June 2020, 09:23   #34
BHPian

I have been noticing the same issue of Jerking while accelerating on my 2006 Honda City ZX MT lately. Planning to take it to Service Center shortly, but i would like to know if the car is driven with the issue are there chances for the car stranding in the middle or if other issue's will crop up?
Old 22nd June 2020, 11:37   #35
BHPian

Hi Dr. Aviansh. I have a 2008 City Zx gxi. Sadly my car also has the same problem. It is occassional and occurs when driving at slightly low RPM say 1.5 to 2k in a higher gear eg:50 kmph in 4th gear.

The Honda ASS in Bangalore too diagnosed the issue to be related to ignition coils and my dad was apprehensive about coughing up such a big amount for an 10+ year old car. You can live with it if it's not bothering you and let me assure you that your car won't breakdown and it will keep serving you as it is. My car has this problem for last 5-6 years and it hasn't broken down once (whether city or highway drives).
Old 22nd June 2020, 11:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
Hi Dr. Aviansh. I have a 2008 City Zx gxi. Sadly my car also has the same problem. It is occassional and occurs when driving at slightly low RPM say 1.5 to 2k in a higher gear eg:50 kmph in 4th gear.

The Honda ASS in Bangalore too diagnosed the issue to be related to ignition coils and my dad was apprehensive about coughing up such a big amount for an 10+ year old car. You can live with it if it's not bothering you and let me assure you that your car won't breakdown and it will keep serving you as it is. My car has this problem for last 5-6 years and it hasn't broken down once (whether city or highway drives).
I had replaced my Honda Original Ignition coils with Local Chinese Coils which costed 1200 per piece. There was no reduction in performance or mileage. And these Chinese ignition coils have been successfully running for last 20K kms and 2 years as of today.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 11:46   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiransri_bng View Post
same issue of Jerking while accelerating on my 2006 Honda City ZX
Quote:
a 2008 City Zx gxi has the same problem.

occurs when driving at slightly low RPM say 1.5 to 2k in a higher gear eg:50 kmph in 4th gear.

The Honda ASS in Bangalore too diagnosed the issue to be related to ignition coils

You can live with it if it's not bothering you and let me assure you that your car won't breakdown
If you can live with the cough, you can still carry on.

The worst thing that can happen is one coil going completely dead, but even there, you'll only see a CEL come on and three cylinders firing; you can get to your destination for sure.
vigsom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 11:47   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I had replaced my Honda Original Ignition coils with Local Chinese Coils which costed 1200 per piece. There was no reduction in performance or mileage. And these Chinese ignition coils have been successfully running for last 20K kms and 2 years as of today.
So did the jerks completely vanish on using Chinese coils?
Old 22nd June 2020, 12:15   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So did the jerks completely vanish on using Chinese coils?
Yes, They completely vanished. I did not changed all the coils. At first, the mechanic opened all the coils and checked them visually for any damage. We were able to guess by physical inspection that 2 of the coils were faulty. We replaced them, and the jerks vanished. After some 4-5K Kms I started feeling little jerks again, then we again opened all the coils and found out that 2 more of the Original Honda Coils also went bad, later replaced them also and the car is working flawlessly till now.

Just go to your local mechanic and ask him to check all the coils and replace faulty coils with Chinese or Local coils (this is what these guys call them). He will know where to get them from.

Below is an e.g.

https://www.amazon.in/IGNITION-COIL-.../dp/B07VZ67378

These are for IVTEC model but at similar price you will get for your vehicle in local market, you will have to carry sample of original coils to the parts shop.

Last edited by mercedised : 22nd June 2020 at 12:18.
Old 22nd June 2020, 17:49   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiransri_bng View Post
I have been noticing the same issue of Jerking while accelerating on my 2006 Honda City ZX MT lately.
Quote:
Hi Dr. Aviansh. I have a 2008 City Zx gxi. Sadly my car also has the same problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
If you can live with the cough, you can still carry on.
But why carry on if there’s a cheap solution for it? I upgraded to these coils and it’s been 500 kms so far and they have been going good.
The jerks have gone and it cranks up in lesser time now. Rs. 900/- each is dirt cheap but Mercidised has a lot better experience from his coils. If anybody interested, then DM me.

Jerky acceleration - Is it the Ignition Coils?-3a293f2c2f884aaebafe52aa2c436981.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Yes, They completely vanished.
If possible share the exact link and the details of the coils you got or the seller details. It will help a lot of people who are facing a similar issue. Thanks.
dr.aviansh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 19:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If possible share the exact link and the details of the coils you got or the seller details. It will help a lot of people who are facing a similar issue. Thanks.
Its easily available at local spares parts shop. You just have to carry a sample to your local automotive spares parts shop.

Or

If anybody didnot find it locally, I can buy and ship it.
Old 6th July 2020, 20:53   #42
BHPian

I think their coils start giving trouble upwards of 90000 km. Probably that is their life. Similarly the leads can also give trouble and they are not cheap either. New coils even if not OEM should last at least another 60000 km or more. This is probably a problem of the 2nd generation Honda City. I've had my 3rd Generation City for 11 years now and never had any problem with ignition coils or leads. Would appreciate comments from those who have had the above problems.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th July 2020 at 22:38. Reason: Typos.
Old 6th July 2020, 21:45   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokabs View Post
Would appreciate comments from those who have had the above problems.
Hey it’s a known problem of the 2nd-gen Honda City only, both VTEC and i-DSi. That problem was resolved in the i-VTEC 3rd-gen cars as confirmed by Honda ASC. I’m using an Amaze 1.2 i-VTEC which has successfully done 40k kms.

Even if there occurs a problem you can inbox me, I’ll get you cheap coils that will be good.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th July 2020 at 05:10. Reason: Please avoid using acronyms such as NHC
dr.aviansh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 22:48   #44
Senior - BHPian

I forgotten the name of the brand but I recalled same from another post. It's YEC coils which were recommended but my spares part owner. I never installed them though and ended by buying the Honda original.

http://www.yecj.co.jp/en/products/
Old 24th August 2020, 22:12   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Help required for Ignition Coils

Hi everyone. My 2008 Honda City ZX i-DSi CVT had been giving jerky acceleration on rare occasions till a few months back, which have now become very frequent. Checked my ignition coils and 3 of 4 are showing signs of misfire. The A.S.S. quoted for Rs 5,500/- each. I contacted my local ones and they are not able to obtain them. So I placed an order for genuine Hitachi from China using AliBaba and throughout the shop representative had been in touch with me. Today, when I got the delivery, I checked that it was some local Chinese. I had asked the representative to make sure that genuine Hitachi’s were sent and now he is being all innocent about it.

Luckily I’d ordered just one, but it was disappointing for me. So, I’m not willing to place more orders from him.

Since the OEM would set me back by 15k on a car with 3 years’ life remaining I wouldn’t wanna spend that much especially when other running parts are due as well.

1.) What options do I have? If any Hitachi, Delphi or Denso seller is known anywhere in India, then let please me know. I have also checked BoodMo etc.
I dropped the idea of procuring scrap from Maya Puri (Delhi) as the coils can easily be polished to remove its misfire signs.

2.) How do I know that this particular chinese coil would be of any use to me? If I replace one faulty coil with this one, can I expect some change in misfire?
: One coil is perfect, two are misfiring at times and the fourth is this chinese one.

HONDA OEM part number : 30521-PWA-003

Attachment 2012835

Since, I am a doctor I have to go to my work daily. Getting stranded midway during a pandemic would be the last thing I’d want for myself.
Try Dashmesh autoparts at Palika bhawan. I got coils for my 2007 Corolla at Rs 990 each around year and a half back and have been happy so far after 10k or so kms. Also I had bought one from gurgaon car market near Atul kataria chowk towards Sheetla mata mandir for Rs1100..thats working fine too. Number for Dashmesh is 97173 29187, 9355378513, 9996674889.. dont have the number for the gurgaon one. Hope this helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks