Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2021, 11:04   #46
BHPian

Re: Jerky acceleration - Is it the Ignition Coils?

Well I had a similar problem in iDSI Honda City was very infrequent in the beginning (happing once in around 2-3 days with average distance driven around 7-8 kms/day).

As the car has not been serviced for more than a year owing to the pandemic therefore sent the car for servicing and rectification of the jerking issue at the authorized Service Station Ring Road Honda, Gurgaon. I informed the service associate that this may be possibly an ignition coil issue. Well he agreed to the same and checked up all the coils and informed that one of the coils was shorted and he needed to replace the same. Further the spark plugs were also replaced during the aforesaid servicing.

Adding to the frustration was that the coils were not in stock and he needed 2-3 days for getting the same. Well after 3 days the car was delivered with the replacement done and is running with no issues (keeping fingers crossed)
Old 10th December 2021, 19:43   #47
BHPian

Re: Jerky acceleration - Is it the Ignition Coils?

Hi all, Hope you all are doing good.

A small background:- I picked up a 2018 Honda City Ivtec V which was run just 4000 km in October. Before anyone asks, yes I got the car checked at HASS before finalizing and the odo is genuine. I could not drive the car personally and was driven by my relative initially. The car is out of warranty and the previous owner did not extend it.

Now coming to the problem.

The car jerks a lot between 1200 rpm till 2000 rpm in 2nd and 3rd gears. Initially , I suspected old/ impure fuel and the clogged fuel system lines as the car was idle for a long time.

I can also feel occassional jerks at idle and when the car is in neutral. Also the jerks vanish when I switch off the AC system. I am not able to understand the relation between the two.

I got the car serviced with mandatory engine oil change, oil filter change and a scan at Metro honda, Hyderabad immediately after buying. I also specifically asked them to check the coils and spark plugs. They said the coils are good and they need more time to diagnose as they suspect AC condenser or ECU could be at fault. They also pointed out that a 2-3 tank full running of premium fuel should clean the fuel system in case its clogged etc. I was supposed to leave for Kochi the next day so could not leave the car for further diagnosis.

But now after driving for 3500 km in the last two months and using Shell premium fuel, IOC XP95, HP power on various occasions, the problem is still persistent. Somedays it's so high that I am getting irritated driving the car.

I really get annoyed when I get those hiccups in between and it's difficult to plan overtakes or keep the car always above 2000 rpm.

Need your guidance guys. The car is presently at Kochi.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks