Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2020, 22:13   #1

Timing Belt Change: Should I also get the tensioners & pulleys replaced?

Hello all, I hope everyone is safe and doing well!

I own a MK1 Vrs. The car has done 78k.
I need to change the timing belt and the waterpump.

When changing the timing belt, do I need to get the timing belt kit ( tensioners, pulleys etc) changed? Or is it okay to just change the belt?
Tried searching the web but couldn't get much info.
Also, from where can I source skoda parts in mumbai? (Aftermarket) Any leads would be highly appreciated.
Thank You
krsna_ksh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 00:22   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Timing Belt Change: Should I also get the tensioners & pulleys replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsna_ksh View Post
H
I need to change the timing belt and the waterpump.

When changing the timing belt, do I need to get the timing belt kit ( tensioners, pulleys etc)
You might want to check the official workshop manual on this too. But you will most likely find this:

On these sort of engines I would think it makes sense replace to belt, the waterpump, tensioner et all. They have all been running for the exact same hours.

Here in Europe all garages would always replace everything in one go. That is also due to the fact that hourly rates here are high. The labour of this job is much more than the cost of the parts. In India that tends to be the other way around.

But even so, replacing a timing belt requires quite a bit of spannering, you need to remove quite a bit to get at it, so why not replace everything else at the same time and get peace of mind. You do stand the risk of just replacing the belt and then 20-30.000 kilometer laters having to replace the water pump.

Here, every manufacturer, OEM or otherwise will offer a timing belt replacement kit. It will contain the timing belt, the water pump, the tensioner, relevant gaskets etc. On most Skoda/VW such a kit will cost around Euro 150. Two hours of labour costs more and this is more than a two hour job.

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 00:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When changing the timing belt, do I need to get the timing belt kit ( tensioners, pulleys etc) changed? Or is it okay to just change the belt?
For the very reason mentioned by D-BHPian above, it is a good practice to change all in one go. Primarily due to the fact that it requires quite a bit of labour in replacing the timing belt/chain. Since the access to it is tedious, it is a practice to replace the relatively cheaper tensioner as well along with.

We have a dedicated related thread on this:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4172440 (Is it time to change the Timing Belt?) (will point to a post in it where I got this done for my car)
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 13:23   #4
Team-BHP Support

Change everything. It is a false economy if the tensioner wears out, it leads to the same result as also the bearings and pulleys.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 14:33   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Tried searching the web but couldn't get much info.
Also, from where can I source skoda parts in mumbai? (Aftermarket) Any leads would be highly appreciated.
Thank You
Change the whole thing. Better for the car.
My Yeti was going to be 8 years old and I followed the time-scale and did it, though the vehicle had just done ~ 50K Kms. I sold it after that and atleast the new owner will have peace of mind.
I dont suggest taking shortcuts or compromises on these things.
I’m sure there are after market sources for the parts or you could ask SKODA themselves to help. I’m sure they will.

Last edited by SDP : 6th June 2020 at 15:31. Reason: Typo
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 14:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Change the whole thing. Better for the car.
My Yeti was going to be 8 years old and I followed the time-scale and did it, though the vehicle had just done ~ 50K Kms. I sold it after that and atleast the new owner will have piece of mind.
I dont suggest taking shortcuts or compromises on these things.
I’m sure there are after market sources for the parts or you could ask SKODA themselves to help. I’m sure they will.
No Shortcuts or compromises, I agree!!
Shall get the whole thing changed!
Thanks
krsna_ksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 19:29   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Timing Belt Change: Should I also get the tensioners & pulleys replaced?

Quote:
Shetty Motors - Talk to Somnath out there. I trust them blindly.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 21:58   #8
BANNED

I replaced the whole kit; belt, tensioner, idler and water pump on my Fabia @ 78 k km in Oct last.
I asked Somnath at Shetty motors, whom I have sourced for other cars from, but he was asking for the old part etc for matching.
I sourced it from Mikin Shah who lives in South Mumbai, mobile number 9819041686.
I got the work done at Noel James who has done several Skoda Timing belts , mobile number 9930078218.
Hope this helps.
fiestarry is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 11:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
I replaced the whole kit; belt, tensioner, idler and water pump on my Fabia @ 78 k km in Oct last.
I asked Somnath at Shetty motors, whom I have sourced for other cars from, but he was asking for the old part etc for matching.
I sourced it from Mikin Shah who lives in South Mumbai, mobile number 9819041686.
I got the work done at Noel James who has done several Skoda Timing belts , mobile number 9930078218.
Hope this helps.
Hey,
Thank you so much!! I shall get in touch with them right away
Old 8th June 2020, 13:06   #10
PGA
BHPian

It's always a good idea to change timing belt with its other elements such as idler or tensioner. I will go with pulley replacement depending on the condition as they are expected to last the lifetime of the engine assuming you are replacing the belt as per periodic replacement.

Last edited by PGA : 8th June 2020 at 13:19.
PGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 13:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

When it comes to a Skoda, specially the turbocharged petrol ones, its always better to be proactive to ensure that you are always smiling. Saying this as an ex owner of a Laura Tsi.

Change everything.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 10:16   #12
BHPian

I had the same question. Based on the comments here, I'll be replacing the timing belt and include every related component as well.

Skoda quoted around Rs. 35,000 for the entire kit including labour charges. The pricing surprised me a bit but I'll be getting it replaced later this year.

Last edited by JojyKerala : 14th June 2020 at 10:22.
JojyKerala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 12:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JojyKerala View Post
Skoda quoted around Rs. 35,000
How many kms done?

So high? Is that normal? Not familiar with Skoda spares.

Ask for a break up.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 12:21   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
How many kms done?

So high? Is that normal? Not familiar with Skoda spares.

Ask for a break up.
To give a better context, I changed the timing chain, tensioners, pulleys and bearings of my Swift Diesel couple of years back. The total amount came to 23K in MASS.

Also, as discussed above it is always logical and wise to replace the entire kit. The net effect of failure of any of the components in the timing chain area results in the same outcome. It is a pain to overhaul an engine with broken timing chain. That too a German one.
abumani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 12:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Get the kit. It is sold as a kit for a reason. If the job is done well, you'll have peace of mind for many years/kms.

Not sure whether your car has an interference engine.
+ If it does, a broken pulley or tensioner can result in the piston hitting the valve and GOODBYE engine.
+Even if it doesn't, do you really want to deal with the hassle due to a penny wise, pound foolish move.

In that Skoda, I'd change the water pump if I were you.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks