Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2020, 12:54   #16
BHPian

Re: Timing Belt Change: Should I also get the tensioners & pulleys replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Shetty Motors - Talk to Somnath out there. I trust them blindly.
Got parts for a suspension overhaul for my 2012 Vento sourced here. Got them quite easily.

Timing kit replacement done at ~95K but at VW Kurla. Changed Water Pump too.

Last edited by Annibaddh : 14th June 2020 at 12:57.
Old 14th June 2020, 13:33   #17

Water pump, Alternator Pulley Block, Tensioners, timing belt. Plus fluids and labour I guess. This is what Skoda workshop replaced on my Fabia. And now have quoted ₹34000 for the Yeti for the entire kit.
Old 14th June 2020, 13:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

The tensioners are basically bearings with a spring which ensures the timing belt has sufficient tension to prevent it from slipping away but not too much to stretch and reduce the life of the belt.

Idler Pulleys are just bearings without a spring.

Since the tensioner/idler pulleys are basically a bearing, it's a wear and tear item and must be replaced along with the timing belt as it might be designed to last as long as the belt.

Never cheapen out on critical engine parts. Stick to the age/km interval strictly. And this includes the water pump too.

Last edited by Turbohead : 14th June 2020 at 13:42.
Turbohead is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 16:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
How many kms done?
The car has done 99,000 KMS (7 years). Will be replacing it soon to avoid any horror story on my part

Quote:
So high? Is that normal? Not familiar with Skoda spares.

Ask for a break up.
The price includes everything including the water pump. Not sure how the pricing compares against similar timing kits of other brands though.
Old 14th June 2020, 18:55   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkodaFan0 View Post
Water pump, Alternator Pulley Block, Tensioners, timing belt. Plus fluids and labour I guess. This is what Skoda workshop replaced on my Fabia. And now have quoted ₹34000 for the Yeti for the entire kit.
This is reasonable. I got it done in July last year along with its annual service. I paid about the same. I also got my front disc rotors changed along with a host of other things.
I did pay a vast bill of some 70K.
And then, I sold it in Nov end just around its 8th birthday.
The new owner is lucky because I had gotten everything possible done for the vehicle and it was is superbly good nick when it went. Conscience clear for me.
Peace of mind for the new buyer.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 20:29   #21
BHPian

I have made a similar query for my 5+Yr old Ecosport in another forum but didn't get any clear reply.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4764521 (Ford EcoSport : Official Review)

They quoted around 25k for my 10L car for full assembly including water pump. While many members of Kolkata community have asked me to change the drive belt only which will cost few thousands at max, here the suggestion seems to be different. I was doubting it may be a dealership scam, so having confusion what needs to be done.

Similarly my 80K run suspension started giving squeaky noises. The dealership wants to overhaul the suspension for 25K. However few folks suggested to change only bush & spring pads and solve the issue at fraction of the cost. Any advice regarding this ?

Last edited by Samfromindia : 14th June 2020 at 20:31.
Old 14th June 2020, 21:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Any advice regarding this ?
Not just in this case, but in general it becomes a complex (or simple, depending on PoV) interplay of
Cost of (repeated) labour vs cost of parts
Spreading costs over time
Number of days vehicle is off the road
The irritation of nonscheduled workshop visits
Peace of mind/ actual unreliability.
Trust in the garage (deterioration of mental health while lying awake at night being tormented thinking one has been ripped off)

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 22:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
So high ? Is that normal ?
I had the timing kit changed at VW for my Passat for a similar amount last year. Rs.34,635 was the bill.
Old 14th June 2020, 23:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsna_ksh View Post
Hello all, I hope everyone is safe and doing well!

I own a MK1 Vrs. The car has done 78k.

Thank You
Hello,

Sharing my experience

I own an OCTAVIA RIDER AT 1.9 TDI 2006 model bought as a resale at the running of 1 lac km

The previous owner has replaced ALL components mentioned by you as one single set.

My Trusted Mechanic who I have been working with since 2006 specializes in imported cars (himself drives a Skoda Octavia manual of similar age)

His advice is what's helped me tremendously over many years and taught enough to get out of a few tricky situations.

All of these components are working for the same amount of km's we run and need maintenance since you are replacing one of the most crucial components of ur engine, might as well replace the supporting components that this belt relies upon, the cost may be one time but will last you till the next cycle of change.

I have driven the car an additional 1 lac km in 4 yrs post the purchase and just last Dec 2019 I replaced the whole timing belt+kit again, cost me around 50k with some additional components thrown in for maintaining the engine life

Trust me you want peace of mind and these replacements only add to the life of the car.

happy to talk if you need any pointers.
Jimmy_u is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 11:44   #25
BHPian

I changed the timing belt on my pre-worshipped Jetta diesel in May last year at 104,000 km.

Link - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4590879 (A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family)

I felt the costs very reasonable.
Rs 10,882 + Rs 1,711 (timing belt kit + labour)

The timing belt kit was made in germany, so I was quite happy with that.

Surprisingly, the original timing belt appeared to be in very good condition despite the mileage and over 50,000 km run after the remap to 184 bhp.
Redline6800 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 15:59   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abumani View Post
To give a better context, I changed the timing chain, tensioners, pulleys and bearings of my Swift Diesel couple of years back. The total amount came to 23K in MASS.

Also, as discussed above it is always logical and wise to replace the entire kit. The net effect of failure of any of the components in the timing chain area results in the same outcome. It is a pain to overhaul an engine with broken timing chain. That too a German one.
Can you please share further details, I too own a swift diesel, it has clocked 180,000 kms on the odo. I haven't got the timing chain replaced, have read earlier somewhere that first gen swifts timing chain lasts upto 200,000 kms.

Appreciate if you can share after how many kilometres you replaced the original stuff. How was the wear n tear on the parts changed?
azm@bpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 17:02   #27
BHPian

The timing belt is usually replaced at 90,000 Kilometres. I had bought an used Pajero who has run it until 142,000 Kilometers without changing the timing belt while the car was still agency maintained with an Service Contract. I asked the dealer why wasnt it changed at stipulated Kilometers and his answer was Timing belt is not covered in the Service contract and i asked him to show where it was written but he failed. Nevertheless dealerships have become "Stealerships"

The price quoted for timing belt change was about USD 1400/- for parts and labor. Talked to few Offroad friends, did a bit of google check and got it done for USD 300/-

OEM parts were procured by myself and items changed were

1. Timing Belt
2. Idler Pulley
3. Tensioner Pulley
4. Adjuster

The FNG inspected the water pump and said there was no need to change it as it was in good condition. I saw someone recommending Engine Seal Kits replacement but that is required only if there is an noticeable Oil Leak.

Look @ the picture of timing belt. Was lucky the belt did not snap, else a bill of USD 4000/- minimum was expected.

Modern cars i heard have hence switched over to timing chain instead of belt to avoid snapping and its costly repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Timing Belt Change: Should I also get the tensioners & pulleys replaced?-timing-belt.jpeg  

wheeledwanderer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 17:49   #28
BANNED

When I was having my Swift ZDi (2013 model) with me, I remember changing the timing chain set at 1,16,000 kms mark. I feel it should have been done near the 1,00,000 mark but nevertheless happened a little while later.

Here's the list of parts changed along with the costs incurred (ignore the oil separator parts in the list):

Timing Belt Change: Should I also get the tensioners & pulleys replaced?-costs-incurred.jpg

Whatever be the cost associated with the timing chain/belt replacement, it is best to go for the whole set for peace of mind and a lesser visit to ASC/FNG.

A rough check on Boodmo regarding the costs that will be incurred during the same on my Creta was around ₹18,000 - ₹20,000.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 12:32   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by azm@bpl View Post
Can you please share further details, I too own a swift diesel, it has clocked 180,000 kms on the odo. I haven't got the timing chain replaced, have read earlier somewhere that first gen swifts timing chain lasts upto 200,000 kms.

Appreciate if you can share after how many kilometres you replaced the original stuff. How was the wear n tear on the parts changed?
I'm Sorry that I gave away the receipts and bills with the car when I sold it 2 years back. But I recollect the amount was same. I think the HLAs where also replaced during the timing chain replacement.
abumani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:33   #30
BHPian

The Timing Belt kit includes the belt, tensioner, idler and water pump as well or does one have to buy the water pump separately ?

I need to change the timing belt kit on my 10 year young Skoda Laura which has done 118,000 kms - any idea how much would the entire job cost ? Any recommendations for a good FNG in Mumbai to do this job would be most helpful
sidpak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks