Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2018, 19:08   #46
BHPian

Re: A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
In the interests of science, I have monitored this tank of fuel very closely!

Changes made - Jetta driven more conservatively with upshifts around 2,000 - 2,200 rpm mark and tyre pressure checked (32 psi) , corrected to 33 psi all round.

Speed on open roads between 70 to 90 with occasional forays to 120 kmph. but generally cruising in 5th/6th gear. 50% distance with sole driver and remaining with single passenger.

Two 90 km trips from home to Bangalore International Airport to back, one trip to Basavangudi, one trip to Bangalore International Exhibition Centre (about 60km, I guess). Rest trips around Jeevan Bhima Nagar to Indiranagar, Kalyan Nagar and Sarjapur Prestige Tech Park

The result - 27L (if I am reading the gauge correctly) for 391 km which equates to more then 14kmpl.

Will top up at the 45 litre mark to check the final mileage. The remaining running will be in City so I expect an accurate 50% city and highway driving figure.

L

Hey Redline,

The Jetta FE should average around 12.5 kmpl. The lowest I have ever got with highly aggressive driving (sports mode) is 10.15 kmpl. Have even extracted 23 kmpl on a pure cruise control drive of 100 km/h over a 105 km highway(Pune to Mumbai). You may want to check your air filter/ and your ECU tuning setup. For fuel, I find IOC as the worst. BP Turbojet gets me the best fuel efficiecy, followed by Reliance/ Shell.

Regards,
Burjis
burjiis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 19:18   #47
BHPian

By the way, I just upgraded my tires to Michelin Pilot Sport 3 225/50 R16 and they are just UNBELIEVABLE. I feel this after upgrading from Primacy 3STs, so you can just imagine. These tires have some serious grip and cornering capabilities.
burjiis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 23:38   #48
BHPian

So Jetta made her first highway trip over the weekend! Since I was rusty with my highway driving and to have company for the trip, my friend joined me and we split the drive.

I am very very pleased with how she performed on this trip, that totalled 842 km without skipping a beat.

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-img_0641.jpg

The car was fuelled up with a full tank - the previous tank delivered 13.1 kmpl over a mix of city and highway driving - so was very happy with that. Tyre pressure was adjusted to 31 psi for the highway trip with 2 pax and negligible luggage.

When we refilled the tank on the way back - 46.21 lt of IOC regular diesel went in at 630.3 km on the odo , delivering 13.64 kmpl (combined city and highway)

What fun the drive turned out to be. On good roads - 120 kmph is a walk in the park for the car. grip is excellent and the ride is flat at high speed, which really inspires confidence.

Jetta just shrugs off “Those speeds that we cannot speak about” and the combination of more power from the remap, upgraded suspension and tyres was a real treat on the highway. The Bilstein B6s, which feel a bit crashy in the city, transform on the highway, delivering a lovely smooth ride.

I really really enjoyed driving the car but was most comfortable in the 110 kmph range with occasional forays higher.

My friend who does highway drives regularly, got in the car after my stint and just took off - it was like being inside a cruise missile!
All this was achieved with no drama and minimum fuss - braking was great too and the car inspires a great deal of confidence.

The AC in 38 degree heat was also excellent - which surprised me as I had always read that the AC in German cars is not very good.

1L water bottles fit comfortably in the doorpads and is a big plus
A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-img_0609.jpg

On the way back to BLR, we saw a signboard that said it was some 1,700 km plus to Varanasi - my friend and I looked at each other and said - oh! Thats just 2 days of driving in Jetta !

The only thing that played on my mind was the fact that the timing belt is due for change after 1 lakh km and have decided to go to the showroom next week and get it changed on a proactive basis, before my next scheduled service. This will give me more confidence on highway drives.

A trip to Yercaud is planned this weekend and then it will be Mysore the next week to change the timing belt. I think the wipers need to be changed too.

All in all, I am very happy with the Jetta's current level of performance and comfort and hope that with care and regular maintenance, she remains reliable too.

Last edited by Redline6800 : 25th September 2018 at 23:40. Reason: grammar
Redline6800 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 16:53   #49
BHPian

Got him home

When I test drove earlier I did not feel anything but now I feel gear shifting is slightly harder than I reckon.

After sometime it says 'Service due in 9 days'

I will take it ASC and check it.
Attached Thumbnails
A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-photo_20180926_160303.jpg  

sangam_mm93 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 08:31   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangam_mm93 View Post
[center]

After sometime it says 'Service due in 9 days'

I will take it ASC and check it.
Congratulations on your new Jetta!
Were you aware of the service interval/need for service before purchase? If yes then that is not an issue, I would feel - but will certainly be a cost impact for sure.

Would suggest that you stick with the ASC for the first year and use FNG for problem solving/clarification, before choosing to go ahead with an FNG for the longer term.

Wish you many happy miles of motoring with your new car
Redline6800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 13:00   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on your new Jetta!

Wish you many happy miles of motoring with your new car
Thank you Redline6800.

Also, If possible can you please shed some light on this issue please?

Issue (Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review)
Old 2nd October 2018, 08:50   #52
BHPian

Jetta completes another road trip!

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-img_0668.jpg

This time it was a planned Road Trip from Bangalore to Yercaud and back.

We left on Saturday and returned on Monday - total distance covered was 472 km. We stayed here - http://www.tipperary.in

Joining us were my friend and his wife who rode down on a Triumph Street Twin.I was very surprised that this 900cc motorcycle gave a mileage of around 35kmph (combined city highway) with rider and pillion after navigating the ghat section twice. The Street Twin easily matched Jetta at speeds of 120 kmph. Both rider and pillion were also very happy with levels of comfort on the bike as well.

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-img_0657.jpg

We had four bags in the boot and the ample luggage space is another plus.

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-img_0655.jpg

The roads were excellent and our decision to return on October 1st meant that there was next to no traffic on the return journey.

Heading out to Yercaud we left home around 8am and kept a leisurely pace with numerous stops, departure was around the same time as well.

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-img_0652.jpg

Overall traffic levels and toll booth queues were more than acceptable, though I will be going ahead with getting a FASTAG. It appeared to me, that things were more organised on the Tamil Nadu side in terms of toll queue management.

Jetta again behaved immaculately on this trip and I am still getting used to the car and its abilities and it is proving to be great fun. Taking long sweeping corners at speed is also proving very enjoyable. The gearbox must come in for special praise, as it remains slick after 1,00,000 km and really contributes to the driving experience along with the soft clutch.

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-img_0712.jpg

I like the no stress driving experience, which allows for good cruising speeds. Discretion is the better part of valour – best describes my driving style, which is usually sedate (<120 kmph) with stints of spirited driving.

I have not tried it yet, but feel that 4 hours of driving at a stretch will not pose any problems at all. The aircon has proved to be excellent as has seat comfort. However, I do find the wing mirrors to be a touch too small.

Overall the Jetta makes for a very nice highway cruiser, though the big heavy feel was not so much fun on the tight and windy ghat section up to Yercaud.

I have yet to check the mileage, but have already covered 694 on this tank of fuel and expected a combined city/highway average of approximately 14 kmpl.

The trip was a nice break from the humdrum of city life and we are already planning our next highway trip!

There will be a quick run-down to Mysore next week, to get the timing belt changed.

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-img_0656.jpg

Happy Gandhi Jayanti everyone and drive safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangam_mm93 View Post

Also, If possible can you please shed some light on this issue please?
It is still early days in my ownership of Jetta, so can only be of limited help with your issue but maybe a change of gearbox oil could help resolve the gearbox issue?

Last edited by Redline6800 : 2nd October 2018 at 08:54.
Redline6800 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 10:27   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Jetta completes another road trip!

This time it was a planned Road Trip from Bangalore to Yercaud and back.

There will be a quick run-down to Mysore next week, to get the timing belt changed.

Attachment 1803717

It is still early days in my ownership of Jetta, so can only be of limited help with your issue but maybe a change of gearbox oil could help resolve the gearbox issue?
Nice pics Atul. I cannot believe how your car looks for it's age and mileage. Looks very neat. Truly ageless!

I have done ~100 kms since I got Jetta home. The clutch seems to be fine after driving a while. Touch wood no issues so far.

Of all the mixed reviews of ASSs if Bangalore; the 'Volkswagen Palace Cross' is the best of all. It'd need a day off to visit the place.

Either I have to go there or I'm also thinking of going to Mysore where you and Chetan got it serviced. Combining a small trip and a service. It has ample positive reviews on Google.
sangam_mm93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 14:04   #54
BHPian

Had not found time to get Jetta pressure washed after my first 2 highway trips and since there was work travel from Monday - I took her for a pressure wash to the petrol bunk next to home.

My usual pressure wash guy has lots of cars on a sunday so chose the alternative. The petrol pump wash guys are normally quite careless, so do not intend to visit them regularly.

Planning a visit to Feynlabs @HSR layout, when i get back for a nice foam wash. As usual I would not have heard of it, without Team BHP.

Link to Team BHP thread (Car wash & detailing studio - Feynlab (HSR Layout, Bangalore))

Since Jetta was up on the ramp, I took the chance to get some pics of the underchassis.

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-3a.jpg

I never cease to be amazed that over 98,000 km Chetan did not scrape the underbody !!

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-4.jpg

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-5.jpg

It is a bit hard to explain - but you get a real sense of solidity and robustness when you see the underbody of this car - every component looks substantial and well made. notice the cladding on the RHS. Beefy multi-link suspension setup never fails to excite me

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-8.jpg

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-9.jpg

In Bilstein we trust! the RHS and LHS rear Bilsteins are clearly visible and in my limited running appear to have aged very well. Care is being taken however, to not have the car go thumping over potholes etc - slow and steady over bumps and potholes is the mantra!

Wash is done and following the afternoon drive, the covers will go on the Jetta, till she is called on again
A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-10.jpg

Last edited by Redline6800 : 7th October 2018 at 14:06.
Redline6800 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 09:26   #55
BHPian

Another full tank of IOC regular diesel @ Rs 75.77 goes into Jetta!

720 km covered in 51.15 litres with a 50/50 split between city and highway (blr yercaud and back) has delivered a combined average of 14 kmpl.

tyre pressure has been kept at 32 psi and car is usually driven with 2 passengers 80% of the time.
Redline6800 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 00:28   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Another full tank of IOC regular diesel @ Rs 75.77 goes into Jetta!

720 km covered in 51.15 litres with a 50/50 split between city and highway (blr yercaud and back) has delivered a combined average of 14 kmpl.

tyre pressure has been kept at 32 psi and car is usually driven with 2 passengers 80% of the time.
Very nice Atul. Happy miles with more smiles.

Even I did a 500 kms trip yesterday. Did a Bangalore-Hassan-Bangalore via mom’s native on the way. It says 16.7 on the ‘Consumption 1’ . I did not take a snap though but I have taken one or 2 within city.

Not to forget, I am getting it after using Liquimoly diesel additive. Have your ever tried that?

Most of my friends owning diesel cars have tried this and have seen significant increase in the mileage.

Below are the instances of mileage I got in city driving.

I just don’t know how deceiving the MID info is.
Attached Thumbnails
A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-6ab531f426ab414583e2e25f97ced827.jpeg  

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-ed50b39bcffc4076b6eba1e72523f296.jpeg  

sangam_mm93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 11:44   #57
BHPian

Jetta has now crossed the 102,500 km and continues to behave impeccably.
Despite the decrease in usage - the mileage appears steady at 14 kmpl.

Heavy workload over the last 2 months, has meant a dip in usage but every drive is a joy.
The car is never used for short trips less than 8km - the old City is used for smaller drives.

The TPH cover has proven a real asset and I highly recommend it for anyone who parks their car outside home.

Planning to renew the ceramic coating on the car in January and a couple of small trips before the end of the year, should end 2018 nicely for me and Jetta

There are likely to be maintenance expenses as I am planning to get the car serviced and also replace the timing belt before March.
Redline6800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 19:53   #58
BHPian

Another full tank for Jetta delivers 12.49 kmpl in Bangalore city traffic with AC on all the time.

I continue to be impressed with the way this car drives with 1,02,500 km on the odo.

The wiper blades need to be replaced, so a perfect excuse to drive to the Mysore showroom and get this changed in the coming month.

I also got the car washed and polished at Feylabs today - link below:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/banga...ml#post4518740 (Car wash & detailing studio - Feynlab (HSR Layout, Bangalore))
Attached Thumbnails
A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-img_1622.jpg  

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-img_1621.jpg  

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-img_1615.jpg  

Redline6800 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 19:38   #59
Senior - BHPian

Hey Redline, any updates on the Timing belt change?
Old 18th May 2019, 18:33   #60
BHPian

So Jetta went in for her 1,05,000 km service.

In a nutshell, I am delighted with the service experience and found the costs to be most reasonable.

Jetta back home after service and after a quick morning wash
A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-rinse-shine.jpg

Considering that Chetan had a very good experience with servicing of his car, I felt it would be prudent for me to continue giving the car to KPR VW in Mysore.

The decision to remain with an authorized service centre for my duration of ownership helped with this decision, as also the fact that I have a lot of time on my hands, so could afford to drive down to Mysore to get the car serviced

Prior to the service, Jetta had started feeling a little rougher and I was also worried about the timing belt replacement.

I was told by Pradeesh, that the timing belt had to be replaced at 1,20,00km but my brother who owns a VW in Australia, said that the service interval for timing belt change there, was 7 years or 1,05,000 km. Chetan also had advised for the timing belt to be replaced.

Keeping in the mind that the car had been remapped and my decision to keep the car for atleast another 4 years, I decided to get the timing belt change done at this service.

My experience in setting up the appointment at KPR VW was pleasant and no complaints there.

On the appointed day, I ended up leaving home late and as a result reached Mysore only by 11:30.

Mr Pradeesh, who has looked after Jetta since new, was there when I reached and I was very impressed by his competence and helpful nature.
Certainly, made the decision to drive down, worth it.

Leaving Jetta for service
A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-jetta-left-service.png

Pradeesh was of the opinion that we can do the timing belt change at the 1,20,000 km mark but after a quick discussion, I asked him to go ahead with the timing belt replacement as also to replace the 2 wipers, which were leaving streaks.

I told him that I would collect the car back, the next day and then hopped onto a KSRTC Scania for the ride back home.

I received an update after reaching home, that the rear brake pads had only 1,000 km of life left and Pradeesh recommended a change, which I agreed too.

I got KSRTC Scania's to and from Mysore, somehow I like the Volvo better.
A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-my-ride-mysore.jpg

Left the next morning and reached the showroom around 11:30 and was glad to see Jetta ready to be picked up.

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-ready-service-1.png

Very happy with the overall experience and my service advisor, Mr. Vinod was very helpful too.
Billing was a breeze and after hearing the horror stories off VW service bills, I found the bill to be reasonable.
Nothing additional was tacked on and the brake fluid was also changed, as Chetan had given them that instruction previously.

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-ready-service-3.png

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-ready-service-2.png

My wallet was lighter by Rs 31,310 (no complaints).

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-jetta-bill-1.png

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-jetta-bill-2.png

Very happy that the Timing Belt kit was imported!

Costs:
Rs 10,882 + Rs 1,711 (timing belt kit + labour)
Rs 3245 for 10500 km service
Rs 4608 for 4.8 L of Castrol Edge engine oil
Rs 1473 + Rs 584 (rear brake pads + labour)
Rs 2900 for 2 wiper blades

I decided against the 7th year add-on warranty as the car has been reliable till date and there was indication of any upcoming issues with the car.

I left with a wave and a smile.

I also got a feeling that VW has made it service costs more reasonable? I saw a write up to that effect in this month's Autocar issue as well.

Time to head back to BLR and the immediate realization on starting Jetta was how smooth she felt, what a delight ! The braking was excellent as well.

The VW Jetta is a truly impressive automobile that has held up this well at 1,04,000 + km on the odo.

There was less than a quarter tank of diesel in the tank, and I found to my surprise during topping up the tank, that was some air block inside.
We had to be careful while filling and eventually I stopped filling fuel at the 40L mark.

The drive back was excellent, though the BLR - MYSORE road has heavy traffic, Jetta was in her element on the long winding sections in the late afternoon.

At a lunch stop on the way home.
A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-stop-maddur-lunch.jpg

What a tasty dish ! low, sporty and sexy
A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-tasty-vtec.jpg

I think the drive back home was about 180 km km and I took the NICE road to Electronic City to get home.

Extremely happy and delighted at Jetta's performance after the service.
10/10 for this service to the team at KPR VW Mysore.

The United Colours of Volkswagen
A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-united-colours-vw.jpg

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-timing-belt-box.jpg

Interesting to note the Timing Belt kit had an expiry date

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-timing-belt-expiry-date.jpg

To my untrained eye, the original timing belt seems to have held up very well over 1,04,00 km

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-old-timing-belt-1.jpg

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-old-timing-belt-21.jpg

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-old-timing-belt-kit-1.jpg

A close up of the other parts in the timing belt kit.

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-timing-kit-parts-close-up-1.jpg

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-timing-kit-parts-closeup.jpg

Brake Pad Box
A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-brake-pad-box.jpg

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-brake-pads-1.jpg

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-brake-pads-3.jpg

Images of the rear brake pads that lasted just over 1,04,00 km.

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-thank-you-your-service-2.jpg

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-thank-you-your-service.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-brake-pads-2.jpg  

Last edited by Redline6800 : 18th May 2019 at 18:38.
Redline6800 is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed