Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2018, 22:02   #3166
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Hi guys,
Just wanted to update that google maps now works on carplay. I downloaded ios 12 on my iphone and updated new google maps on my phone and I can see and use google maps on my RCD 330 plus on my jetta. This might work on all VW systems with carplay. Probably also on other manufacturers who provide carplay. Just tested it and works fabulously. In sometime even Waze will work.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2018, 12:44   #3167
BHPian

Any FNG recommendation for DSG (DQ250) Auto Transmission Fluid change in Bangalore.
Car has completed 4th year service @ 42K kms. But A** missed out DSG gear oil change.
Old 22nd September 2018, 18:35   #3168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Any FNG recommendation for DSG (DQ250) Auto Transmission Fluid change in Bangalore.
Car has completed 4th year service @ 42K kms. But A** missed out DSG gear oil change.
Please correct me if I am mistaken - I thought it was only at the 60K service that the DSG fluid was supposed to be replaced.

Well, maybe I am mistaken, because it probably is 60K kms or 4th service, whichever comes first. And in this particular case, it is indeed the 4th service even though the odo limit has not been reached.

Cheers
Old 22nd September 2018, 19:09   #3169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Please correct me if I am mistaken - I thought it was only at the 60K service that the DSG fluid was supposed to be replaced.

Well, maybe I am mistaken, because it probably is 60K kms or 4th service, whichever comes first. And in this particular case, it is indeed the 4th service even though the odo limit has not been reached.

Cheers
Yes. It is 4 years or 60K kilometers whichever comes earlier. But if the running is less, the workshop guys may recommend to get the oil changed during the next service. This may have been the case with manjubp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
I would recommend you get the oil changed by the workshop only instead of taking it to the FNG. This being a DSG, that would be a safer option - unless you find an FNG who has good experience with servicing DSG gearboxes.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 00:02   #3170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Yes. It is 4 years or 60K kilometers whichever comes earlier. But if the running is less, the workshop guys may recommend to get the oil changed during the next service. This may have been the case with manjubp.

I would recommend you get the oil changed by the workshop only instead of taking it to the FNG. This being a DSG, that would be a safer option - unless you find an FNG who has good experience with servicing DSG gearboxes.
Yes, it was 4th year service. Thanks for suggestion, I would go back VW A**.
Old 23rd September 2018, 10:26   #3171
BHPian

Looking at picking up a Jetta. Came across a 2014 comfortline diesel with 80k on the odo. Asking price is 9L. Did a test drive and couldn't find anything wrong. Only issue is that AC is not working and will need fixing. This car had ACC. Where can I have the car checked before deciding, haven't seen good reviews on the VW ASCs in Chennai. Any help from Chennai BHPians is much appreciated 🙂. This will be my first time used car purchase, any pointers on what to look for on the car? (The lateral upgrade was the inspiration &#128578
Old 23rd September 2018, 10:50   #3172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
Looking at picking up a Jetta. Came across a 2014 comfortline diesel with 80k on the odo. Asking price is 9L. Did a test drive and couldn't find anything wrong. Only issue is that AC is not working and will need fixing. This car had ACC. Where can I have the car checked before deciding, haven't seen good reviews on the VW ASCs in Chennai. Any help from Chennai BHPians is much appreciated ��. This will be my first time used car purchase, any pointers on what to look for on the car? (The lateral upgrade was the inspiration ��)
I think the asking price is slightly high for a 90K run car. The AC compressor also might need replacing which isn't very cheap either.

I suggest you look out for a younger example. Even if it is slightly older in terms of age, a car with less than 40K or 50K km on the odo would be my suggestion.

Here's what you need to look out for:

- Check if the suspension is in good shape. Listen out for abnormal knocking sounds from the suspension. Mild thuds are normal, however, tak-tak sounds might point to failed dampers (8K a piece).

Also check the rear suspension as it is a complex Multilink setup and might cost a bomb to fix incase anything is wrong.

- Check for abnormal vibrations on startup or excessive clatter and vibrations during idling. Might point to worn out engine mounts or a flywheel. The flywheel is expensive to replace incase of a DSG (around 75K )and prone to failiure more than the manual.

- If its a post October 2013 manufactured highline, check if the Bi-xenon headlamps work as intended along with the auto levelling and cornering lights. A pair costs close to 1 lac.

- Check if the air con cools correctly. A faulty compressor (although not very common on the Jetta) will set you back 20K+ easily.

- Check for ABS, ESP or power steering lights on the dash which might point to failed wheel speed sensor (3.6K a piece)

That's it. The engine itself is quite reliable and even the wet clutch DSG isn't really a problem child. Just check if it shifts seamlessly and there are no jerks.

All the best with your purchase. I have a 2014 Jetta Comfortline myself and can vouch for the reliability. A wheel speed sensor is all that has been replaced apart from consumable in 55K+ km of service (touchwood).
vishy76 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 11:01   #3173
BHPian

Thanks you. Looking at lower run examples. Came across a 30k run HL AT and 17k CL. Both are 2014 make, but asking price is 14L 😮. Still on the lookout.
knaveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 01:26   #3174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
I think the asking price is slightly high for a 90K run car. The AC compressor also might need replacing which isn't very cheap either.
Hi Vishy76,

That's a nice explanation there. I pretty much did what you mentioned here but sure did miss some. Lessons learnt brother.
I got my Jetta CL 2012 delivered today. One thing where I got fooled was (not dealers mistake but my stupidity not to notice) I assumed it to be 44K kms whereas it was 44K miles.

Nevertheless deal was already over, money was gone and I had no time and energy to talk and negotiate again. I drove around 50kms in Bangalore day 1 did not feel anything bad at all. But while at home, when I was about to park I steered completely and heard a slight jerk sound. I had this problem in my Civic earlier. So, I assumed it could be placebo effect. Then again didn't feel right and tried second time with 0 music volume. Yes, there was slight jerk sound.

Could this be steering rack issue?

Please advise.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding

Last edited by ampere : 27th September 2018 at 06:01. Reason: trimmed quoted post
sangam_mm93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 14:42   #3175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangam_mm93 View Post
Hi Vishy76,

That's a nice explanation there. I pretty much did what you mentioned here but sure did miss some. Lessons learnt brother.
I got my Jetta CL 2012 delivered today. One thing where I got fooled was (not dealers mistake but my stupidity not to notice) I assumed it to be 44K kms whereas it was 44K miles.

Hello, I had checked out this very car at the same dealer on thippasandra main road around 3 months ago. I noticed the miles reading and changed it to kms while taking the test drive and actually confronted the dealer saying its wrong to willfully quote a incorrect odo reading. i also feared odo tampering and stayed away from the car. I just your post and i am feeling bad. How could you miss the miles reading.
You should talk to the dealer and re negotiate. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th September 2018 at 14:57. Reason: Fixing broken quote.
CarMaster is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 16:17   #3176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarMaster View Post
I also feared odo tampering and stayed away from the car. I just your post and i am feeling bad. How could you miss the miles reading.
You should talk to the dealer and re negotiate. Hope this helps.
Hi CarMaster, I did see that and somehow I misread that

Such a blunder of me. I being an Engineer at an Automotive firm should not have done such a thing. Shame!

I had seen couple of other Jettas before this and left them for Odo reading; but they quoted 9 or more. I also had a word with the dealer; the ad also said 44k miles. So, this is purely a blunder from my end.

Nevertheless I feel good with ~70kms now. I will take it to ASC and see what all troubles did I invite.
Old 9th October 2018, 07:21   #3177
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Vishy76,

But while at home, when I was about to park I steered completely and heard a slight jerk sound. I had this problem in my Civic earlier. So, I assumed it could be placebo effect. Then again didn't feel right and tried second time with 0 music volume. Yes, there was slight jerk sound.

Could this be steering rack issue?

Please advise.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding
I had the same problem a while ago. Got the struts lubricated and the noise/ jerk went away. At 70K, there is very little chance that your steering rack has given way. They generally last the life of the car.
burjiis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 17:51   #3178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by burjiis View Post
I had the same problem a while ago. Got the struts lubricated and the noise/ jerk went away. At 70K, there is very little chance that your steering rack has given way. They generally last the life of the car.
Thank you burjiis for the tip. I have done ~300KMs so far and have been experiencing a mind blowing upgrade from Civic.

Well, what you can notice in a week's driving of Jetta compared all the cars driven in the past?

Good
Engine - The engine is by far one of the most refined diesels I have ever driven. I feel no stress at all. No diesel clatter humming in to the cabin like usual diesel cars. Also; I am getting FE of 12+
Even though habituated to a little driving of the Rapid DSG, Jetta feels a lot less noisier than Rapid and slightly more powerful too.(in S mode)

Handling and maneuvering - For the size of the car it is jiffy in traffic too. Also; I have driven for 2 or 3 hours in Indiranagar traffic; it was not painful yet because the steering gives awesome feedback and feels so light in maneuvering. (I might face leg or knee pain in future because mine is a MT; lol)
The GC is absolutely good and I did a recent City trip; Indiranagar -> Hebbal

Build Quality - This something that goes without saying.

Comfort and space - Surprisingly the rear seats will not receive much bump compared to my Civic. Thanks to the suspension.

Spacious! Yes; one thing I really did not want to compromise was space. Jetta has very decent leg room even after setting the seats to two 6 feet folks.
and Boot is humongous! I found the Civic's boot somehow similar to today's City in real time usage when I took my Civic and a friend's City to Pondichery. But in Jetta I see and feel happy of how big the boot is.

Others - Steering mount controls, MirrorLink etc. Bluetooth connectivity and contacts sync is lighting fast. It plays music automatically somehow after a couple of minutes of driving. (is that a Feature or ghost?)

And this list of good stuffs goes on....
Improvements(Really? I know but it is not nitpicking but just my comparison with others cars I have driven.)
Nothing as of I cannot live with but I think there should have been a source button on Steering mount controls as well. Because; that's what we do when you want to change the source right?
I also liked the volume scroll on the Skoda compared to this trivial +/- button. I feel scroll feels faster than the former.
Visibility - Sometimes as bad as the Civic due to the pillar I guess. This was solved when I raised the seat height but the IRVMS becomes a blockage. Thanks to my longer upper body and neck with shorter legs.

Really I should not whine for what I have paid for it; Overall I am very happy with the miles I have munched so far.

I will be heading to a function this weekend on the way to Hassan to get my first highway experience with the Jetta. I will post some pics and share my experience later.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-jetta.jpg  

sangam_mm93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 00:56   #3179
BHPian

Quote:
I did a recent City trip; Indiranagar -> Hebbal
I'm so sorry I left this incomplete. Did not proof read well I guess.

I did a trip as follows -
Indiranagar -> Hebbal -> Gorguntepalya -> Gollarhatti -> Nagarbhavi -> Corporation Town Hall -> Yelahanka -> Indiranagar

Overall approximately 99 kms while I reached home. I have taken ring road, small roads, old Bangalore, little outskirts' roads and numerous humps of all kinds. Jetta did not scrape a bit. I am so so happy about the GC.
Old 13th October 2018, 14:23   #3180
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone enabled Android Auto and ORVM close/open on locking/unlocking the car ?

I forget to shut them manually each time, so I've to unlock--->ignition-->and then shut the RVM. I'd love to enable auto shut/open if there's a way to do so with VCDS.

I read Apple car play can be enabled with RCD 510, but couldn't find anything on android auto. Any options without swapping HU ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks